• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 2,329 Views, 30 Comments

A Secret Never Told - NightmaresKiss



A short story about Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

  • ...
10
 30
 2,329

Chapter I - Words Never Spoken

A Secret Never Told
By NightmaresKiss

Chapter I - Words Never Spoken

It was a beautiful day in Ponyville. The sun was shining, the birds was singing and ponies were outside enjoying the nice weather. Fillies and colts were playing in the park and the streets were full of ponies chatting and shopping. Amidst the crowd, a single pink pony could be see jumping around. Smiling like nopony else and singing a joyful song. Under a high, green tree in the park a purple pony lay in the shadow, reading what seemed like a very old book. Not so far away from that tree a yellow pony could be seen, feeding all the small critters that stood beside her. Flying around with a bag full of letters was a gray mail-mare on her way to the next house in the neighborhood. A smile erupted on her face just as she brought out a muffin from her bag. Beside a restaurant a white pony with a marvelous purple and blue hat were sitting near a table drinking tea. On the opposite side of the table sat a white cat with a tiny purple bow on the top of her head. A little outside of town, the silhouettes of an orange and a cyan pony could be spotted. They were on their way to the top of a hill, the cyan pony a little ahead of the other.

“Where are yah taking me, Rainbow?” asked Applejack.

“Just wait and see” answered Rainbow Dash.

She was walking with good pace and a little smile on her face. Her left wing was wrapped in bandages, because just a few days earlier she had an accident while training on her new routine. Her wing was badly damaged and the doctor said she couldn't fly for a couple of weeks. Rainbow Dash hated this just as much as Pinkie Pie hated broccoli, but when she was with Applejack, it didn't seem so bad.

After some more walking they were standing on top of the hill, which ended in a cliff. When Applejack saw out towards the scenery, her eyes widened and her mouth was gaping. The view from that hilltop was extraordinary, the green fields covered in flowers of all colors seemed endless. But far of in the distance the mountains started, and stood straight up against the bluest sky Equestria had ever seen. Far off on the mountainside Canterlot stood, as magnificent as always. The view was absolutely divine as Rarity would have described it, and Applejack had never seen anything more beautiful.

“What do you think?” Asked Rainbow.

“I...I... It's beautiful” Stammered Applejack. She was almost out of words.

“Just wait 'til you see the sunset from here, it's awesome” Rainbow said, as she turned her gaze to Applejack who still looked amazed.

On the top of the hill the two ponies spent the rest of the day together. Eating, drinking and chatting about all sorts of things. The hours flew by, and the sun had become very low on the now orange and red sky. Applejack looked at the view again with the same amazement as before, but Rainbow kept looking at Applejack without her noticing. The orange sun dove slowly behind the mountains and as soon as it was gone a sudden darkness fell over the hill and everything went quiet. Applejack stood up and walked to the edge of the cliff.

With her eyes still on the horizon she said with a soft smile “that was one of the most amazing things ah have ever seen, thanks for showin' it to me Rainbow”.

Rainbow stood up too, walked slowly to where Applejack stood. “Oh, it was nothing. I just wanted to show this to a special friend.” Rainbow stared deeply into Applejack's beautiful green eyes, and she felt a warmth rise up in her body.

The moment had come, the moment she had waited for. Everything had led up to this very moment. She gathered all her courage and she spoke in a low shy voice, much like Fluttershy's voice. “Um, Applejack. There is something that I wanted to tell you”

“What is it, sugarcube?”

Just as she said “sugarcube” Rainbow's heart started beating twice as fast. She was really nervous, but she had to do it.

“I...I...” Rainbow said in a low voice, and her head bent down.

But then, a millisecond before she could utter the words she was about to say, the cliff they stood on started collapsing. With a loud "crack" the ground beneath their feet gave in and Applejack fell off the cliff, but just as she fell off she managed to grab a rock with her hooves. Rainbow Dash, just realizing what had happened, jumped forward and grabbed Applejack's hooves and started pulling her up.

Applejack had been pulled halfway up as the ground collapsed some more. Rocks rolled down the cliff side, and a constant rumbling sound was about them. The air around the cliff was covered with dust which made it difficult to see anything. Rainbow was thrown down too, but managed to hold on to the same rock as Applejack had held on to. Rainbow was hanging with one hoof on the rock and one hoof holding Applejack. The pain in her shoulders was almost unbearable, but she had to hold on. She tried to spread her wings, but she could only move the right one. The left was still badly hurt from the accident. Rainbow couldn't think straight. A sudden feeling of guilt consumed her, it was worse that anything she had ever felt. If she hadn't tried that trick a couple of days ago, she could have just flown safely to the ground with Applejack in her hooves. The pain grew stronger, and soon she couldn't take it anymore. She tried to lift herself up, but it was useless.

Rainbow looked down at Applejack with tears in her eyes. Applejack had teary eyes too, and she looked up at Rainbow and said “Let go. Let me fall, and save yourself”.

Rainbow was shocked at what she heard, her head couldn't comprehend the words Applejack spoke. Shortly after she responded with a yell. “No way!” The words she had heard teared her heart apart.

“It's the only way. Let go Rainbow.” Applejack replied with a piercing look into Rainbow's eyes. She could see it in her eyes that Applejack was scared, but she tried to hide it away.

“No! I will never let go! Never!” Rainbow cried, tears running down from her eyes. “This is all my fault. ALL MY FAULT!” She screamed in her head.

“I'm sorry” Rainbow whispered with a shadow on her face. She couldn't hold on any longer, and after a few painful seconds she lost her grip, and they started to fall.

They fell down alongside the cliff, wind hurrying through their manes. Rainbow felt useless without her wings. The one thing that made her special, and the one thing that could have saved their lives that night wasn't there anymore. A million thoughts raced through Rainbow's mind, but they suddenly stopped. She stopped thinking. She glanced at Applejack, who was looking straight at her. The way down seemed endless. In the air, Rainbow and Applejack drew closer together and slowly they embraced each other. Rainbow wished this moment would last forever. Slowly their lips touched, she felt like she had all the time in the world. But suddenly everything went black.