• Published 9th Oct 2018
  • 1,298 Views, 34 Comments

My Little Mage: The Play of Shadows - Foxhelm



An old journal, an enthusiastic Twilight, a millennia old riddle, what could possibly go wrong... A My Little Mages AU retelling of Shadow Play

  • ...
4
 34
 1,298

The Shadow Released

As everyone stepped away from the recently manifested Nightstalker, the fiend continued to laugh at the sight and the termination of his incarceration. He stopped as he focused his gaze solely at Star Swirl, “Your pitiful attempt to imprison me has failed, Star Swirl!” the monster said as stomped the ground, in a show of his dominance.

Star Swirl brought his hands together and tried to cast a spell, but his magic fizzled out. He then turned to Twilight in a panic, “You must return us to Limbo. It's the only way to stop him.”

“I only figured out how to bring you back,” Twilight replied as it dawned on her how bad the situation was and her lack of foresight.

Meanwhile, Sunburst was scouring through Star Swirl’s spell book. “Working on it!” he shouted in a panic. “There's no table of contents!” he added as his panic seemed to grow.

The Nightstalker smirked at the sight of Sunburst at a lost. “Allow me to assist.” He said before he took a breath and sent out six tendrils from his body as he stretched his arms and wings out, each one impaling a pillar of the stone circle. One however impaled not only a pillar but also Star Swirl’s tome, narrowly not impaling Sunburst in the process. The Nightstalker then pulled his arms and wings and in the process pulled back the tendrils destroying the pillars and the tome in the process. The Nightstalker then chuckled as he watched everyone’s jaw dropped in horror and terror. “There!” The Nightstalker declared. “Without the pillars, you can’t tap into the power of Grandehenge,” he then turned his focus squarely at Star Swirl, “and without your grimorum, you lack the six artifacts with which you can tether me into the void you tried to contain me in.” The Nightstalker began to laugh before he stomped the ground causing a small quake knocking everyone else to the ground. “In short, your banishing spell is useless!”

Star Swirl turned back to Twilight, “You clearly studied my writings. Surely you have some other plan.” he pleaded in fear and desperation.

“No. I just wanted to save you. I didn't think—” the demigod replied in panic as she tried to explain everything.

“Don't fret, my dear child.” The Nightstalker cut Twilight short as he laughed again, “When I extinguish the light and hope of this miserable world,” he spoke as he gestured to the sky, with the implication being the world, “you won't remember any of this.” He said as he pulled his magic into an orb in front of his chest and sent it to Star Swirl.

Twilight jumped in front of the beam and sent her own magical beam into the one the Nightstalker sent. “No!” she screamed.

The beam that Twilight overpowered the beam that the Nightstalker sent and struck the fiend. “Argh!” The Nightstalker cried as he took a step back shocked that his attack was overpowered. “This one... Wait… metallic wings…” As the Nightstalker tried to form a response but then notice Twilight’s wing denoting her status as a demigod. Once he collected himself, “Girl, which of Star Swirl’s current pupils are you? Celestia?” He asked, but then he examined the wings and saw that they weren’t not based on suns but more typical stars, “No, that’s a star not a sun as your aura mark…” he mused as he concluded that he wasn’t looking at Celestia, “But then you can’t be Luna either.” he added as he noticed the lack of a moon on Twilight. However, before Twilight could answer, “Matters not, for even though you are at least quintuple Star Swirl in power, even in my weakened state, thanks to my millennia exile, you cannot stop the might of my shadows!” As the Nightstalker spoke he began to pool his magic in front of him again and then sent another beam of magic, this time much more powerful and sent it at Twilight. As he was pooling his magic, his body shrank in size to just slightly taller than Rockfoot and his wings vanished.

Twilight gritted and strained as she tried to hold back the beam the Nightstalker sent, she was shocked at how powerful the Nightstalker was. However, before she was forced to kneel another beam of magic joined her’s. It was Starlight. Starlight smirked as she stepped to stand beside Twilight, “Lucky for her, she's not alone!” Starlight declared as the beams that she and Twilight sent overpowered the one that the Nightstalker sent.

After the beams overpowered his and struck him, “Arrrrggghhhh!” he cried in pain as if he hurt by that attack, “What...How…” The Nightstalker asked before he looked over Starlight, “Of course, a binder.” he chuckled, “No matter, I might have been bested in that exchange, but I am far from beaten.” he spoke as he started to pool his magic into another ball and send another beam at them but was blasted by Star Swirl and knocked the Nightstalker to the ground.

“Know this, fiend!” Star Swirl shouted as the Nightstalker began to get back on his feet. “We will not rest until we find a way to return you to Limbo!” he continued as everyone else started to stand up to him

The Nightstalker growled in defiance, “Never!” he shouted as he stood up, “Your days of glory are through, Star Swirl.” he continued as he pointed at Star Swirl. He then looked the sky and then back to Star Swirl, “Now that I am free from that prison, my power will return and soon will reign, and you, The Great, will bow to me!” He then morphed into a human-size batlike being and dove into the sky and vanished, a sonic boom in the wake.

As the sky cleared from the presence of the Nightstalker and the area was once again in the light of day, Rainbow and Flash flew up to where the Nightstalker vanished, “ Um... where'd he go?” Rainbow asked.

“That is a riddle we must unravel. And quickly.” Somnabula pointed as she looked around.

“Before we still need to know a few things, I know we’re back into our world, how long have we been gone?” Meadowbrook asked as she turned to Fluttershy.

“Over two thousand years,” Fluttershy answered bluntly. Meadowbrook’s mouth then dropped open, as did Flash Magnus’, Rockfoot’s, Somnabula’s and Mistmane’s mouths as the statement of the time that passed struck them.

Star Swirl smiled as she stroke his beard, “Then my spell worked –” Star Swirl then looked at Twilight with a scowl, “before it was meddled with –” Twilight lowed her head and ducked away in shame. Star Swirl continued with a closed-eyed smile, “and the realm has been at peace for millennia!”

Pinkie then stepped up the wizard, “Weeeeell…” she started as she reached into her hair, “we did have to save everybody from Nightmare Moon, reforming her back into Luna,” she said as she pulled Nightmare Moon and then Luna out of her hair, both utterly bewildered, “and Discord” she said as she returned the two and pulled Discord from nowhere and then pushed him off scream, “and Chrysalis and Nightmare Rarity and King Sombra and Demon Shimmer, Lord Tirek,” As Pinkie listed the other off she pulled them from out of nowhere and then banished them back to where she pulled them from, “and, with the help of Sunset Shimmer, who was the Demon Shimmer from before, defeated the Dazzlings, calmed Midnight Sparkle and Gaea Everfree,” and just as Pinkie listed them off she pulled the individuals again and sent them back to where she pulled them from, “and there was that one time when Starlight Glimmer traveled through time using a spell you made and almost destroyed life as we know it!” she said as she pulled Starlight to be right next to her. Starlight gave a massive nervous smile and waved her left hand. “But that's all in the past as she helped Twilight fix the Crystal Heart which finally destroying the Wendigos and even saved everyone from Chrysalis a second time.” Pinkie finished as she pushed Starlight to the side, pulled the Crystal Heart and returned it and once again pulled an utterly bewildered Chrysalis before she was sent back to where Pinkie pulled her from.

As everyone, namely Star Swirl tried to fathom what just happened, Flash Magnus was the first to collect himself as shook his head and turned to Rainbow, “If you are a third as accomplished as you claim, we will stop the Nightstalker thrice as fast then we could have before.”

“We shall see.” Star Swirl said as he collected himself and tried to dismiss what Pinkie had declared, “It is an easy thing to say you have saved the world. It is quite another to do it.” he pointed out with the implication that he was one who had saved the world and knew what it took to do so and the difference between that and a claim.

Rainbow flew up to the old wizard, “Oh, we've saved the world, Beardo.” she said as she brushed up his beard mocking him. “And we can do it again.” she continued with a smug grin on her face.

As Star Swirl brushed his beard back down and straighten it, “Be that as it may, the problem of locating the Nightstalker remains,” he pointed out, not letting anyone forget that fact, “and this land is vast.” he said as he turned his attention away from the ruins of the stone circle.

“It sounds like you need a map. Luckily, we have just the thing.” Rarity responded as she headed towards the path that led them from the site. “Well come along, darlings, there isn’t a second to waste.”


A couple hours later, after taking Twilight’s skyboat, everyone entered the throne room. There as the Pillars were in awe about everything they saw, Starlight left and returned with a book. “I know it’s not the book was destroyed by the Nightstalker, but it does have everything you wrote down in it,” she said as she handed the tome to Star Swirl.

Reluctantly Star Swirl accepted the book before he walked to the table that projects the Aura Map. He stroke his beard in thought, “Something about this magic seems familiar…” he then raised his hand and sent a small beam of magic into the tap, triggering the map to appear with the Tree of Harmony being projected above everything. Everyone else gasped at the sight.

Rarity pulled Twilight to the side, “Did you know he can do that?” she asked excitedly not unlike a child seeing an amazing feat.

“He's Star Swirl! He can do anything!” Twilight pointed out, still just as amazed as Rarity at what they had witnessed.

Star Swirl cleared his throat and turned to the two, “Clearly with the facts that the Nightstalker is now able to gallivant freely, that I needed the aid of my fellow Pillars and that we too were in Limbo with the fiend, I can’t.” He all but scolded the two for their misplaced hero worship. He then turned back to the map and table, “But this map grew from the seed we planted over two thousand years ago.”

“Then it did work!” Rockfoot declared as he slammed the table in joy, the resulting shake almost caused everyone to almost lose their balance.

As everyone collected themselves together, “What worked?” Sunburst asked the question that was his and everyone but the pillar’s minds.

Somnabula covered her mouth for a polite chuckle, “Each of us infused a crystal seed with some of our spirit, our magic, in hopes that it would grow into a force for good.” she explained, which brought back to the younger mages minds what Star Swirl wrote that Sunburst read to them and the princesses.

Mistmane continued as she took a seat in Rarity’s throne, “We wanted to leave something to protect the realm in our absence,” Mistmane then looked squarely at the projected tree, “but we never dreamed our gift would become so powerful.” she said as she took a small breath and felt the power that the tree itself gave off.

“Y'all mean the Elements of Harmony came from you?” Applejack asked as she tried to connect the dots. She wasn’t the only one confused at this, namely the Pillars were baffled at the idea of the Elements of Harmony.

Pinkie stepped to answer the question on the older mages minds. She stepped on the table and point to the tree and pointed to the gems on the tree, “You know, the sparkly crystal things that grow from the Tree of Harmony and represent each of us?” Pinkie asked. Before anyone could answer, Pinkie pointed to her heart and to the branch that had the Element of Laughter on it. “Laughter,” she then teleported to be next to Applejack and point to her pauldron and the branch with the Element of Honesty, “honesty,” She then teleported to be next to Rarity and point to the branch that housed the Element of Generosity, “generosity,” she then returned to the project Tree and pulled Rainbow to be next to her and pointed to both the elementalist and the branch with the Element of Loyalty, “loyalty,” she then pointed to both the branch with the Element of Kindness and Fluttershy, “kindness,” Pinkie then pointed to the trunk of the tree and to Twilight, “and magic!” she said the last part waving her hands for dramatic flair before she stood next to Somnabula.

Somnabula laughed a little, “I like her.” she said as patted Pinkie on the head. She then cleared her throat, “But you see, your Elements of Harmony are reflections of our own virtues of hope, strength, beauty, bravery, healing, and sorcery.” as she listed the virtues she pointed to each of the Pillars from herself to Star Swirl. While there seemed to an acknowledgment of how their virtues were reflected by the Elements, Star Swirl seemed to be nowhere near as receptive to the notion as the rest. “But I do see how they connect,” Somnabula added.

Flash Magnus took his chin in thought, “Laughter begets and is begotten by hope, the strongest people are honest, generosity reveals a beautiful soul, it takes a great amount of bravery to be loyal, healing requires kindness to be effective and … well, magic and sorcery are synonyms… I guess.” the soldier listed off as he stated the connection.

Meadowbrook smiled as she turned to face Fluttershy, “We had no idea our small seed would bloom into the living spirit of the land. I am glad our mantles have passed to such capable people.” This brought a blush and smile to the typically tumid druid.

Star Swirl took another second to look over and let everything that was said sink in, “More importantly, we no longer need Grandehenge to send our foe back to Limbo. We can use the stored magic in this Tree of Harmony.”

Twilight then stepped to be in front of Star Swirl and between him and the projected tree, as if she was a mother protecting her child. “But a banishing spell takes a lot of power.” the demigod pointed out. “If we cannot tap into the very magic of the world itself, we'd have to sacrifice the Elements for a spell like that.” Twilight informed as her eye looked to the crystalline fruit of the Tree of Harmony. Star Swirl simply nodded in response. “But if we were to do that the Tree will die without the Elements,” Twilight said as she thought back to the plundervines. Sure the better part of the plundervines were destroyed, but what if some survived and it hasn’t been two years since the Elements were returned to it. “The Tree cannot survive without the Elements. If it dies, Mystica will suffer.” Twilight said as she turned her focus back to Star Swirl.

Star Swirl frowned and stepped to the map and placed his left hand on it, “If the Nightstalker has his way, this entire world will not exist. So unless you have a better idea…” Twilight back away without a response and left the room. Star Swirl then took a breath and cast spell on the map which had the map end the projection of the Tree and showed several areas under a massive black cloud. “Our foe will seek dark places from which to draw power.” Star Swirl turned from the map, “I need to prepare my spell so that we may strike as soon as you find him. Is there a place I can formulate my spell.”

“Go back to the hallway we entered, take the first flight of stairs down on the left, third door on the right is a laboratory you can use,” Spike informed the old wizard before the dragon left to tend to Twilight. Star Swirl silently nodded in gratitude.

As the wizard left, Rainbow spoke up, “Well, what are we waiting for?” the elementalist asked as she was ready and eager for the fight.

“I like your spirit!” Magnus said as he joined Rainbow in flight before everyone cheered say Starlight who looked at the map and sighed before she left to see how Twilight was fairing.


Starlight waited about an hour before she went into the library as everyone else had left and she wanted to give Twilight some time. As she opened the door she saw Spike delivering books to Twilight. The dragon then took the top one and handed it to her as he asked, having not read the cover, “What about this one?”

“Merfolk etiquette isn't going to help right now, Spike,” Twilight answered as she looked at the book and put it aside knowing it was not what she was looking for and started to look at the rest of the books Spike brought her.

As Twilight scanned through each book, “Uh, Twilight? Are you okay?” Starlight asked as looked at the discarded books and placed them on a pile of other books on the table that Twilight was working at.

“I just unleashed ultimate evil and doomed Mystica because I was obsessed with meeting my idol!” Twilight exclaimed as she turned to Starlight as she threw her arms into the air. “Why wouldn't I be okay?!” she asked rhetorically as she turned back to the table and let her head hit the table with a thud.

Starlight gave a scoff to dismiss the degree of concern that Twilight had and placed her hand on Twilight’s shoulder in an attempt to comfort her, “You didn't know that was gonna happen.” she informed Twilight. This was true because Starlight herself didn’t know this was going to happen, albeit she clearly had a better idea, but she didn’t know.

Twilight looked at Starlight and then sigh as she reached for another book, “But I should have listened to you and left things alone. Now the Elements of Harmony will be lost to fix my mistake!” Twilight shouted as she looked through the rest of the books in the stack that Spike gave her at an almost impossible rate of speed reading.

Starlight looked at books and took the one that Twilight was reading out of her hands to get the demigod to stop and think, “Maybe there's another way.”

Spike then arrived with another stack of books, “If there is, Twilight will find it.” Spike said as he placed the books on the table next to Twilight.

Twilight then took the top three books, “Portal gate... Portal keys... Portal spells... Yes!” Twilight exclaimed in joy as she hugged the book and flew into the air. She then opened the book and started to read it. After a couple of seconds she found something, “If the Pillars can hold open the gateway to Limbo, a powerful being can do the banishing spell himself or herself!” Twilight declared as she landed and showed the page to Starlight, “Do you know what this means?” she asked wanting to have someone join in on the answer.

“I can stop carrying books?” Spike asked bluntly as he stretched his back and arms.

Twilight shook her head, “It means the Pillars don't have to leave Mystica!” Twilight declared as looked over the entry. She gave a slight sigh, “Even though we'll lose the Elements, we'll have the people that created them. And the Nightstalker will be banished for good!” Twilight continued as she elected to look at the silver lining of the cloud.

“That's great.” Starlight commented with a slight laugh glad to see that Twilight had made some progress in her search.“ But I was thinking of another way that maybe doesn't involve banishing at all.” Starlight continued noting that Twilight’s solution had not resolved her own concern about the loss of the Elements of Harmony.

Twilight, however, was with quill, ink & paper, and was working on a variant of the spell Star Swirl used to take the Nightstalker to Limbo, “Star Swirl knew what he was doing when he cast that spell. If I can make it even better, maybe he'll see that I take magic as seriously as he does.”

Starlight sighed as she took a moment to think what Twilight said, but then recalled something, “Wait, didn’t the map conjure up the images of the five other artifacts and send you all to find them on its own?” she asked.

Spike took a second to think about what Starlight just said, “Yeah, totally weird that it would do that.” The dragon then started to return the books back to the bookshelf, “Now sending me on a ‘Friendship Quest’ rooted in my own lack of thought about Thorax and Ember, a bit extreme but given that I do have a throne here, it makes some sense and sending you on a mission concerning the princesses, well you did use your magic on the map so it might have used that to identify you.” Spike commented as he pointed out the two abnormal quests the map sent people on. He then took a second to think and turned to face Starlight and Twilight. “You know back when you guys were with Ember and she couldn’t tell you apart, you could have told her that Twilight has wings, Starlight doesn’t.” the dragon pointed out.

Starlight gave a slight scowl, “Thanks, Spike.” Starlight retorted to the dragon, her tone was only 50% sarcastic. Starlight then turned her focus to Twilight, “back to my point, maybe the Tree of Harmony and the Map believed that the unleashing of the Nightstalker was a risk worth taking to bring back the Pillars.” she pointed out.

“Star Swirl doesn’t seem to think so,” Twilight replied as she took a second from the scroll then went back to it, but seemed to be in doubt.

“So who’s right: Star Swirl or the Map?” Spike asked before he was clonked with a book that he didn’t put back properly.


As the sun was setting that day, Rockfoot, Applejack, Flash Magnus, Rainbow Dash, and the other Pillars and Bearers all stood at a corner in Manahatten as they watched automobile after automobile drive past them, while there was not much light from the sun left, the city was still bathed in light, “And that’s the last place Star Swirl’s spell indicated. Clearly, this world has changed. There aren’t as many dark places as there were.” the giant of a man said as he marked off the city as shown on their copy of the map. He sighed as he sat down on a nearby bench.

Applejack placed her right hand on his left shoulder, “So the places Star Swirl taught the Nightstalker would be turned out to be duds, why don’t we just call up Starlight and have cast a few spells she can bind together to find places that right now have the darkness that the Nightstalker needs.” Applejack then reached into Pinkie’s hair and pulled out a phone, “Hello, operator, could you put me through to the Castle of Friendship extension 3.” There was a response, that none of the others got.

In Starlight’s room, the binder sat on her bed, she didn’t know what to do. Twilight was bent on trying to formulate a spell that would use the Elements of Harmony to make a portal to banish the Nightstalker and wouldn’t listen. Just then the scrying crystal started to vibrate and glow with Applejack’s aura mark in the center, “Hey AJ, how’s the search?”

Back in Manahatten, “Well GlimGlam, we’re in a bit of pickle, none of the places Star Swirl taught the Nightstalker would go to recharge are dark enough for it, could yah…”

“I’ll see what I can do.” Starlight answered, “Call me back in an hour.”

“Well do Sugarcube.” Applejack answered as she put the phone back into Pinkie’s hair.

“I just don’t get, Star Swirl has rarely been wrong, but it seems the dark places Star Swirl indicated on the map have changed,” Rockfoot commented as he looked over the map and handed it off to the others.

“I know the Nightstalker would've loved the Ghastly Caverns before two thousand years of wind and water erosion turned it into the Ghastly Gorge.” Applejack pointed out. “And sure the Appeloosian Wastes sounded dark and desolate.” The paladin continued.

“But with the finding of the town of Appeloosa by some of Applejack’s cousins there about a score ago among other things for over the last few hundred years, it has become quite the square dancing destination.” Rarity pointed out as she readjusted her stylized and bejeweled stetan. “What? It’s absolutely gorgeous and it was practically a steal.”

A ring was heard from within Pinkie’s hair. “I got it.” Pinkie said as she reached in a pulled out a phone, “Pinkie Pie’s Party Planning, how can I direct your call.” Pinkie said into the phone.

Back in Castle of Friendship Throne room, “Oh hey Pinkie, I was hoping to reach AJ, but nevermind. I have good news and bad news.” Starlight informed as she held her scrying crystal.

“Let me guess, the good news is that you replicated the spell, the bad news is that once you factor in the two thousand years of change, there aren’t any places like what Star Swirl thought.” Pinkie surmised as she looked at Applejack and the rest.

“Pretty much. So you guys will be heading back and we’ll try something else.” Starlight replied.

“Thanks, Star.” Pinkie said as she hung up on Starlight. “Well back to the castle folks and for a new plan.”


About a couple hours later, in the early hours of the night, all the Pillars, the Elements Bearers, Spike, Starlight and Sunburst, basically everyone sans Twilight were in the throne room as Star Swirl looked at the map those that looked for the Nightstalker used. “It seems there are fewer dark corners in the realm these days.” Star Swirl commented as he seemed to be taken aback about what was discovered.

Everyone was seated, with a few chairs brought in for the Pillars, “Isn't that a good thing?” Rainbow asked as she was seated next to Flash Magnus, the two had mugs of cider and were drinking.

“True.” Magnus pointed out with a nod. “The Nightstalker will have a hard time regaining power.” He said after giving some thought, “When he rears his head, we'll be ready!” he said as he brought his mug to Rainbow’s and the two mugs clung with a thunk.

Fluttershy gave a sigh as she turned to Meadowbrook, “Isn't there some way to banish him without losing all of you? Cattail, your descendant, would love to get to know you.”

“Oh, I wish there were,” Meadowbrook said as she took Fluttershy’s hand to confront the druid. “I would love to met my surviving family, but to save our home, our family,” Meadowbrook turned to each as they all nodded in agreement as she finished her statement, “we are willin' to leave it and them.”

“I don't think you'll have to!” Twilight shouted as she came in and presented her scroll with the spell that she was working on, “My spell isn't finished yet,” She confessed, “but I think we can send the Nightstalker to Limbo without all of you having to go as well!” she exclaimed in excitement of her works.

Star Swirl looked and the scroll and brushed it the side, “While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Twilight, this is hardly the time to take risks on half-baked spells.” he said as he dismissed the work that Twilight did.

Twilight sighed with a slight whimper as tears started to form in the corners in her eyes as her work was discarded by her ideal.

This didn’t go unnoticed by her friends. As Star Swirl was looking at the map trying to figure out the next plan, he was turned to face Twilight and her friends by Applejack, “Now listen here yah old buzzard, but Twilight doesn't do anythin' halfway!” the paladin pointed out ready to smack some sense into the old wizard.

“Especially not magic!” Pinkie said as she joined the paladin.

Rainbow flew back to be right next to Twilight’s wings, “Seriously! She got these wings” Rainbow said as she held one of the wings making it something that Star Swirl could not fail to notice. Rainbow then pointed at Star Swirl, “by finishing the spell you gave up on!”

Rarity then levitated the scroll and basically rubbed into Star Swirl’s place, “I think you'll find her work is worth reading before you dismiss it out of hand!”

“Mm-hmm!” Fluttershy agreed with nodded as she seemed to silently scold the old man, giving him the stare.

Meadowbrook took the scroll and began to read it silently, she wasn’t the wizard Star Swirl was or Arcane mast Twilight was, but she was well versed in the magic the two would use.“While it is an unconventional approach, I believe it could work.”

Mistmane took a glance at the scroll, “I have to concur with Meadowbrook.”

Star Swirl then took the scroll and actually looked it over. “Hmm,” he muttered as he rubbed his beard. “I suppose there is a chance.” he ultimately conceded.

“But we still have no idea where to find the villain,” Sunburst commented as he pointed out that they still have no idea where the Nightstalker was regaining his power.

At that moment the Aura Map activated and projected the Aura Marks of Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie as each of their Aura Marks on their person started to glow and shimmer. The map’s projected aura mark hovered from the Castle of Friendship to a small area surrounded by dense trees. “Maybe we should try there?” Spike said as she pointed to the spot.