• Published 2nd Nov 2017
  • 333 Views, 0 Comments

Finding Friendship - Thunder-Dash



Little Petal Drop sets off on a journey to find the true meaning of friendship

  • ...
 0
 333

Chapter 1

Small, shy, alone. These three words are best to describe our little protagonist in this story about friendship. Petal Drop, as she was called was born smaller than the average foal. Because her parents were so afraid of losing little Petal Drop, they kept her inside, guarding over her and watching her, which is probably why she became so timid and shy. She would always ask her parents what was beyond the front door, but her parents kept that secret away from her. But...no matter how much her parents told her about it...she was curious about what was beyond her front door.

One day, she overheard a little foal jumping with joy as she exclaimed she made a new friend.

“I-I...I want...friendship…” Petal said to herself, with a tear falling from her eye. “B-but...where can I find it…?” She asked herself, eying the front door. Her parents were right there.

“Don’t even think about it sweetie.” Her dad stated sternly. Petal whined and started to cry. She felt miserable inside and her parents were doing nothing about it.

Petal was not going to give up. She was determined to outsmart her parents once and for all and find this “friendship” the foals outside her own home were cheering about. That one day came when Petal’s parents weren’t paying attention due to an argument between them. Now was Petal’s chance. She scurried through the back door and scampered away from the house, passing ponies quickly, in which some had worried faces, wondering why Petal...was running straight for the Everfree forest.

Petal looked up and came to a screeching halt. She had heard stories of ponies getting lost in the Everfree...and never returning. She gulped and nervously entered the forest. As Petal walked, she noticed a red bird. She stopped and looked at it.

“H...hello Mister Bird...d-do you know where I can find friendship?” Petal asked timidly. The red bird simply chirped at her...but fluttered down from the branch it was perched on...and landed right on Petal’s back. “Oh! You mean you...wanna my...friend?” Petal asked unsure. The red bird chirped at Petal.

“Well...you can...stay with me...I’m really not supposed to be out here...but mommy and daddy keep me locked in the house in fear of losing me…” Petal said to the bird. The bird simply chirped back at Petal.

Suddenly, there was a hiss. Petal stopped in her tracks and let out a scared whimper.

“Wh-wh-what was that?!” Petal asked shaking in fear. A green and yellow snake slithered out of a bush eyeing Petal. “Wh-whatever you are...please don’t hurt me…” Petal begged as tears welled up in her eyes.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have left the house...b-but I won’t stop until I find friendship.” Petal said still with a quiver in her voice. The snake hissed softly and gently coiled itself around Petal’s back, with Petal stricken with fear. It took her a while before she realized all the snake wanted was a bit of company.

Petal wondered and wondered. Did she find friendship with her two new acquaintances? As she went deeper into the Everfree, a hoot was heard.

“What’s that?” Petal asked nervously. The red bird chirped looking up at an owl perched high in a tree. The owl hooted again and looked down at Petal with its bright yellow-golden eyes. This spooked out Petal as she squeaked and curled into a ball. The owl fluttered down…and hovered over Petal. It was a little too big to perch on Petal’s back since it was a Great Horned Owl.

“This is strange...are you trying to find friendship too?” Petal asked the owl. The owl hooted back at Petal. “Well I am too.” Petal started assuming the owl was on the same journey as her.

Petal continued to travel deeper into the forest. That is...until she stumbled across an old log cabin.

“Who could...be living out here…?” Petal asked. The snake hissed and the owl hooted. “Wh...what are you trying to say?” Petal asked the two animals. The red bird chirped as well. Petal walked closer to the cabin. The snake got off of Petal and hissed loudly.

“Is it dangerous?” Petal asked the snake.

“I...I don’t see anything wrong.” Petal stated. The owl hooted a little louder as Petal walked towards the door. The animals stayed behind and just watched the little foal Petal approach the cabin.

Petal knocked on the door. Grunting and an angry tone was heard...and an older pony opened the door. He was much taller than Petal, but and older looking with a beard.

“What are you doing here and what do you want?” The old pony asked clearly annoyed. Petal began to quiver, for she had never faced a pony who was...quite grumpy.

“I...I want to...f-find...friendship…” Petal said hesitantly.

“Humph! Well you won’t find it here. Tried it once and never I’ll try it again!” The old pony scoffed.

“B-but...why?” Petal asked with a small sniffle.

“Was a street performer for the longest of times. Ponies kept ignoring me. I thought I was doing something, but no! All to waste. Nothing! No friends! No ponies to be with! So I quit, and vowed never to try friendship again!” The old pony ranted.

“But...what is your talent…? Doesn’t everypony have a special talent…?” Petal asked.

“All those years I sought to find my special talent. I tried everything! But nothing! Not a single thing happened!” The old pony showed his blank flank. “This! This is proof I’m never trying friendship again.” The old pony scoffed.

“But...but...why give up…? I don’t wanna give up…y...you’re still a-alive...” Petal said sniffling again, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Who cares if I’m still living, and who cares about your stupid journey about finding friendship. It’s over! No scram you little brat!” The olden pony yelled and slammed the door right in Petal’s face. Petal couldn’t take the pain of the old pony and ran off in the opposite direction of the cabin sobbing. The three animals who accompanied her were right there. Petal wasn’t used to running that fast for a period of time, and tired quickly. She ended up sobbing herself to sleep.

Twenty minutes later, she woke after hearing the snake hiss. She turned and faced it.

“Oh...it’s you…” She said with a sniffle.

“That old pony was...very mean…” Petal stated.

“I-I don’t understand...doesn’t everypony want to find...friendship…?” Petal asked. The owl simply hooted, the snake hissed and the red bird chirped.

After regaining strength, Petal decided to make her way back to Ponyville. Once she got to the border, the snake hissed goodbye. The bird and owl stayed with Petal.

“Bye Mister...whatever you are…” Petal said to the snake as it slithered back into the forest.

Petal made her way through Ponyville. Ponies looked down at her, noting her size. This scared Petal a bit. A few ponies called her cute, but she didn’t know what it meant. She past her own house but didn’t bother to look through the window, her parents were frantically looking for her. Petal made a right at a fork in the path...and faced a large crystal tree-like structure.

“Wow. What is that? I wonder if the pony in that thing knows where to find friendship.” Petal thought out loud.

Petal approached the door and knocked...but it was creeked and it opened. The owl hooted and the bird chirped.

“What now?” Petal asked the two animals as she walked inside. It was a large hall.

“H...hello?” Petal asked. Her voice reverberated through the chamber. She walked and ended up in a room with what appeared to be a round table. A purple alicorn was looking at it.

“Uhm...excuse me?” Petal asked the purple alicorn. The alicorn turned and faced Petal.

“Oh! Hello there little one. My name is Twilight Sparkle...Princess Twilight Sparkle. Do you need help with something?” Twilight asked.

“I...I want to find friendship but...I don’t know where it could be…” Petal said timidly...hoping she wouldn’t have to go through the trauma of being rejected by the old pony. Twilight had a massive grin on her face.

“Do you know that the Princess of Friendship is standing right in front of you?!” Twilight asked excitedly. Petal was stunned. She never knew there was a Princess of Friendship.

“I-I...I never knew there was a Princess of Friendship…” Petal stated with a small smile in her face.

“Well now you do little one...what is your name by the way?” Twilight asked. P-Petal Drop…” Petal stated timidly. “You seem very shy...but...as the Princess of Friendship...it’s alright…” Twilight stated.

“But...you don’t understand Miss Twilight...I-I’ve been locked inside my house since I was born...my parents were afraid of losing me because I was so small...and they stuck to their beliefs. Ever since I heard the word “friendship” for the first time, I’ve always wanted to find friendship…” Petal said with a sniffle, putting her head down and remembering what the old pony said.

“Oh sweetie...don’t cry...you can’t really find friendship…” Twilight said comforting little Petal by snuggling her lightly.

“Wh...why?” Petal asked.

“Because...friendship lives in all of us. He lives in you. He lives in me. Friendship is something that is deep inside all of us. It’s the most powerful magic that exists in all of Equestria!” Twilight exclaimed.

“R...Really?” Petal asked wiping a few stray tears from her eyes stirring lightly in Twilight’s snuggle.

“Of course...I bet you if you went back to that old pony and teach him...he may become your friend...tell you what...I’ll come along with you if you want…”

“But...but I’m scared...he...he yelled at me and called me a...little...brat…” Petal stated unable to take the pain of reciting the hurtful words of the old pony, breaking down into sobs burrowing into Twilight’s fur. Twilight knew how rejection hurt, and it was this time that Petal felt like Twilight was a true motherly figure to her. After a few minutes of sobbing, Petal then realized what Twilight was doing.

“M-my...mother never really did this to me…neither my dad...they’ve always kept me locked inside because they are afraid they would lose me because of my size...it’s why I snuck out the house...” She said letting out a few more sniffles.

“Really? I want to meet your parents, and show them how keeping you inside has really affected you...but first...let’s see if you can convince that old pony to believe in friendship. I know you can do it.” Twilight said smiling at Petal.

“R...really?” Petal asked.

“If you risked everything to sneak out the house and try to find friendship, I know you will do it. You just have to believe you can do it.” Twilight stated. A faint smile appeared on Petal’s face as she began to uncurl.

“I’ll even come with you.” Twilight added.

“Really?” Petal asked beaming, getting a confidence boost from Twilight’s support. Twilight nodded yes with a smile and Petal lunged at Twilight hugging her tightly and lovingly.

Petal suddenly looked up at Twilight and knew her parent’s reactions about her leaving the house.

“B-but...what will I tell my parents...th...they may lock me in the house forever…” Petal said sniffling again.

“Sweetie...no need to worry. There’s something that one of my friends, who happens to be shy just you, learned. It’s called being assertive. This means you’re standing up for yourself and not letting things get to you. So if your parents tell you you’re locked in forever, you tell them about the amazing journey you’ve had and that it’s not ok to keep you locked in. You may be small...but you’re one of the bravest little fillies I’ve met.” Twilight said.

“Th-thank you Miss Twilight…” Petal said with a sniffle, hugging Twilight again lovingly.

Petal then broke the hug and got up, waiting for Twilight. Twilight was right behind her. When Petal and Twilight walked out of the castle doors, a hoot was heard. Petal’s owl was right there waiting for her. Twilight gasped in shock.

“A Great Horned Owl?! Those are some the rarest owls in Equestria! And you...befriended one?!” Twilight asked with a huge grin on her face.

“I...I don’t know...it’s just been following me all this time…” Petal said retorting back to her timid self, slightly started from Twilight’s excitement. Twilight realized she startled Petal and blushed in embarrassment.

“Sorry…” She said.

“I-it’s okay…” Petal said softly leading Twilight to the Everfree.

It didn’t take as long to get back to the hut, since Petal remembered the way. The snake that accompanied her the first time return and rested on her back.

“A-a...sn-snake….h-has s-started to like...ah...y-you...t-too?” Twilight asked quivering herself.

“Y-yea...w-wait...are you...scared of the...s...snake…?” Petal asked.

“Y-yes...please don’t come any closer with him…” Twilight said backing away as Petal walked forward with the snake on her back.

“B-but...he’s...he...he won’t hurt you…” Petal said. The snake hissed softly...nuzzling Petal lovingly. A faint blush appeared on her cheeks. Twilight backed away even more. The snake looked at Twilight and hissed softly at her. Petal then turned around and there was the hut. The snake got off her back and slithered to a nearby bush. Twilight let out a sigh of relief.

Petal gulped and walked forward towards the door. Thoughts of the past experience filled her mind, but with work and effort, she ignored them and knocked on the door. Petal looked back at Twilight still a little nervous. Twilight winked at her with a smile, signaling she believed in her and that she could do it. The old pony opened the door.

“Now did you listen the first time?! I told you to scram you little brat!” The old pony barked.

“I’m not going anywhere!” Petal scoffed back. This sort of caught the old pony off guard.

“I’m here because you simply gave up on friendship. Somepony taught me that you don’t have to find friendship. Friendship lives in you. He lives in you. He lives in me. Friendship resides in all of us. All it takes is a spark, which comes from you.” Petal stated proudly. The old pony looked at Petal with his eyebrows up in surprise.

“Wh...why…” He started but stopped to think.

“I...never even...thought that...all these years...to think that friendship is something you have to earn...or go on a grand quest...like...you…” The old pony taught out loud.

“Now I see it...I can’t believe I missed...all those years...now...my time is almost up in this world…” The old pony said regretfully with a tear trickling down his eye.

“You...you’re still alive...you still have a chance...right in front of you…” Petal said addressing herself. The old pony sniffled.

“Awww...please don’t cry Mister…” Petal stated letting out a sniffle herself. The old pony came forward and hugged Petal lovingly.

“I’m very sorry for the way I treated you earlier...I had just gotten so...angry that...I didn’t have friendship, and that I couldn’t find it...that’s why I ended up snapping at you...because it was your determination that I didn’t have…” The old pony explained. In the background, Twilight was smiling and tearing up herself, for It was a magnificent sight to see Petal finally discovering the key to friendship.

“Do...do you have a name? I’m Petal Drop…” Petal stated. “It’s Mister Grumpy Pot…” The old pony said shamefully.

“Aww...why that?” Petal asked feeling bad.

“I...was a grumpy little foal...simply because I couldn’t make friends and gave up…also because I loved making beautiful flower pots. But now...I think I owe you one little Petal...from this day forth...I shall be called Mister Happy Pot.” The old pony said with a smile.

“Well...now what Mister Happy Pot? Do you want to...come back to...Ponyville with us?” Petal asked.

“Erhm...who’s us?” Happy asked slightly confused. Princess Twilight walked out from behind a bush. Happy looked up in utter shock.

“My goodness...I have not seen an alicorn since I first laid my eyes on Celestia herself...things sure have changed.” Happy said adjusting his spectacles.

Twilight introduced herself and the three, along with the owl, snake and bird returned to Ponyville. There, Petal led them to her house and entered through the front door. Her parents were both relieved and angry.

“You do not know how worried we were Ms Petal. You...will NEVER leave this house again!” Her father barked.

“NO!” Petal screamed back stepping forward, her dad immediately startled by this.

“That’s not the way it works Daddy. I left the house to find friendship, but you know what I learned, friendship lives in all of us. He lives in you. He lives in me. And if I don’t ever go outside again, then I’ll never have any friends, and if I didn’t go outside today…” Petal stopped and let Happy Pot in. “...I would’ve never made friends with Mister Happy Pot.” Petal said confidently with her head up high.

Silence filled the room, except for a single hoot from Petal’s owl, who was perched on a branch just outside the window.

“P...Petal...what happened to our sweet shy Petal…?” Petal’s mother asked.

“She’s right here, and she is right as ever. You took it upon yourselves to lock her inside because she was small and never let her have a say in things, and now that she’s left the house and came back...you think she’s all different, but she is still the sweet Petal Drop you know, just with a bit of assertiveness and ability to make friends no matter the species or age.” Princess Twilight explained walking in the house. “And I am happy to be a witness to your Petal Drop.” Happy added.

Petal’s father walked up to Petal with a sigh.

“Petal...we are so so sorry...we underestimated you because of how small you were…but it now all makes sense, you may be small in size, but you...were called to do great big things. Petal had the biggest smile on her face and she dashed towards her father and leaped in the air giving him a great big hug, almost tackling him to the ground.

“Oh daddy! I love you so much!” She said with a mix of laughter and happy sobs. Twilight looked on with a smile and tears in her eyes.

And it was on this day, that the brave little Petal Drop found the true meaning of friendship. Many adventures await our little Petal Drop...but for now...we could say...that they all lived happily ever after.

THE END

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment