• Published 19th Oct 2017
  • 9,647 Views, 190 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls: Welcome to Canterlot High - LPFanFic



Thomas The Tank Engine enters the world of Canterlot High to locate the missing magic that's disappeared from the Island of Sodor. He meets the Main 7 along the way, and tries solving a problem that challenge his concept of redemption & forgiveness.

  • ...
19
 190
 9,647

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Gordon Vs Rainbow Dash

Thomas & Equestria Girls:
Welcome To Canterlot High

Chapter 26: Gordon Vs Rainbow Dash

Gordon and Rainbow Dash entered the gymnasium during third period and looked over all the students practicing and playing different games. The coach allowed everyone to have free time this period, giving the two an opportunity to continue their training for their second race. After their first race didn't go accordingly due to his lack of experience running, Rainbow Dash offered to teach Gordon how to be fast as a person so they can have an even competition. With Gordon hesitantly agreeing, the two spent a good amount of time working on his running physique. But there was still more they needed to work on. Rainbow Dash told Gordon to wait for her while she left to set up their next training session. Sitting down on the bleachers, Gordon saw Thomas hanging out with the Wondercolts. He was being taught a few pointers on Basketball by two of it's memebrs; Spitfire and Soarin'. He looked over at Gordon and gave him thumbs up for encouragement. Gordon raised his thumbs up in return, but doubled checking to make sure he was doing it right. He then got up after Rainbow Dash returned.

"C'mon, I have something I wanna show you,"

She grabbed his arm and took him over to the left side of the gymnasium. Gordon was almost surprised by what he saw.

"What is this?" Gordon asked.

What he saw was an obstacle course lined up along the hardwood gymnasium court. There were ten hula hoops laid on the floor, rolled up gym mats held up by two boxes, cargo nets, frame climbers, balance beams, a monkey bar, and a rope swinging platform.

"Since we have access to the gym equipment, I took the liberty of setting up an obstacle course for the next initiative of your training."

"How is this suppose to help me be fast again?"

"This exercise will test your endurance. If you wanna even stand a chance of catching up to me, then this course should build up your adrenaline and see how long you can manage your pacing."

Gordon surveyed the obstacle course again with uncertainty. Looking at it all intimidated him a bit. Half of these set ups seemed impossible to pass. He wasn't sure if he could complete any of these courses. Gordon didn't even know what half of them were for or what to do with them.

"You're not nervous, are you?" Rainbow Dash asked, half teasing. "Because if this is too much for you we can go back to square one again."

Gordon scoffed. He didn't want to continue the same routine they've been trying yesterday; nor did Gordon want to appear as though he had no idea what he was doing.

"Nonsense. Of course, I'm not nervous. No obstacle is too difficult for me! I can certainty finish this course no problem at all. Just watch me ace this test, and before you know it, I'll be faster than you in no time."

"Yeah, keep dreaming," she joked.

However, Rainbow Dash suspected Gordon's apprehension, but chose not to say anything to him. She was impressed by his determination despite how way over his head he acted. She figured It was going to take more than one fall in a race to teach Gordon that he's not going to be amazing at everything first try and promises to run him through on what to do. Rainbow Dash nudged his arm. Gordon smirking.

"Alright," She encouraged. "Let's get started!"


After a few warm ups, Gordon positioned himself near the first obstacle. His first trial was to run across a collection of ten hula hoops lined up next to each other. Just then, two students entered the gym and inspected the area. It was Splatter & Dodge. They went over and sat on the bleachers close by to where the obstacle set up was. Both Rainbow Dash and Gordon soon noticed them. Gordon slouched with displeasure upon realizing who they were based on their color scheme.

"Tell me that's not who I think it is?" He groaned.

"It is," Rainbow Dash said, unenthusiastic.

"Well, what are they doing here?"

"What else? They're looking for Lady too."

"But, she's not here in the gym, is she?"

Gordon and Rainbow Dash looked around to make sure Lady wasn't in the gym. So far, there was no sign of her to their relief. Splatter & Dodge were inspecting the gym for Lady as well when they noticed Gordon speaking with Rainbow Dash. They both stared at them with squinted eyes.

"Um. Hey, Dodge," Splatter asked, pointing at the tall blue teen. "Does-does that guy look familiar to you?"

They examined Gordon further. The number four on the back of his jacket was enough to put two and two together. Both gasped with theirs eyes shot open. They couldn't believe what they were seeing. Gordon the Big Strong Engine from Sodor was now at Canterlot High. 'How many more engines were here?' they both wondered. After making sure Lady wasn't around, Rainbow Dash and Gordon inspected the two again in hopes they didn't see her. It didn't seem like they did as Splatter & Dodge were now fixated on them.

"Doesn't seem like she's here. If Lady's not around then they're not much of a threat," Rainbow Dash reassured.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Gordon stared up at Splatter & Dodge. They both crossed their arms and glared at him. Gordon does the same before re-positioning himself in front of the obstacle course. When he wasn't looking, the two went back to panicking a little.

"There's more puffballs here?!" Dodge exclaimed to Splatter.
"When did they start coming to this place?"
"I have no idea."
"Should we tell the boss?"
"Wait, hold that thought," Dodge whacked Splatter's chest.
"F-for how long?"

The two go back to staring at Gordon. Rainbow Dash stood close by to instruct him on what to do

"Now, let's start off by seeing how you get around this based on instinct."

"Glad someone can recognize my ability to adapt," Gordon boasted.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Right. Once you finish getting by most of them, then we'll start you on time trials."

Gordon peered down the course, boiling with determination.

"Aaannd, go!"

Gordon took off. Not realizing he had to hop onto one hula hoop ring at once, he charged down the trail and knocked aside all the hoops until a few got tangled to his legs, causing him to fall over on his stomach. Rainbow Dash ran up and inspected Gordon. Luckily, he wasn't hurt, as she helped him up to his knees. Hearing echoes of laughter, the two look up at the bleachers to see Splatter & Dodge pointing and laughing in their nasally chuckle. Gordon and Rainbow Dash glare at them before getting back up again.

"Oh-kay. Let's try that again. Only this time, don't just barge right in. Actually examine what to do first. Remember, you're not being timed yet so take your time and assess the obstacle."

This was going to be a lot more difficult than Gordon thought. He started over, this time picking up on what he needed to do while Rainbow Dash coached him along the way. He crawled under the rolled-up gym mats held up by two boxes, but ends up knocking them off as he got back on his feet. He climbed up cargo nets and frame climbers, only to get tangled in the nets and scuffled over the other side before rolling down onto the ground and struggled getting back up again. Every time Rainbow Dash tagged in to assist, Gordon refused her offer. He wanted to prove that he could do this on his own. But, he could barely make it across the monkey bars without slipping off, or tripping off the balance beams, and he somehow managing to get himself tangled up in the rope swing. Rainbow Dash catches up to Gordon only to find him dangling upside down and covered head to feet in rope.

"Wha-how did you manage that?!" Rainbow Dash said, surprised.

"I have no idea!" Gordon cried.

All the while, Splatter & Dodge were still laughing nasally at his wipe outs, struggles, and inexplicable rope swing. Rainbow Dash managed to loosen Gordon from the swing and helped him down. As if his frustration wasn't clouding him enough, Gordon couldn't get Splatter & Dodge's annoying bantering and chuckles out of his head as they continued to tease him. Finally, he had enough and snapped back at them.

"Oh, would you two be quite already!" Gordon shouted.

Splatter & Dodge simply shared a glance. Unable to hold it in, the two-continued bursting into laughter and rocked back and forth in their seats while holding onto each other's shoulder for support. Gordon was red in the face. He had never felt so indignant and infuriated at the same time.

"Just ignore them," Rainbow Dash advised. "I bet they wouldn't get through a quarter of this course by themselves."

But they're mocking was making Gordon feel more insecure about himself. Gordon didn't like feeling this way, which is why he always had to boast about everything he did to make himself feel important; to avoid having these insecurities. Rainbow Dash could see Gordon was really beginning to doubt his abilities and felt sorry for him.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright. You'll get good at this. Didn't you say you were 'adaptable'? What happened to that pompous lug head?" She joked.

Gordon turned away and hugging himself. He didn't want to admit his apprehension to her. Being a person was a lot more difficult than he expected. The reality of it all came crashing down on him. Rainbow Dash didn't expect to see him so solemn. Gordon has talked a big game ever since he arrived to CHS. Why did he all of a sudden appear very self-doubting?

"I was never meant to be doing any of this," He finally spoke. "Being a steam engine is what I was made to be. I'm much better at being a faster train than a person. Engines can't be people. And I suppose, that means I can never run fast as one."

"What are you talking about? You can do this, Gordon. If you think you can run as fast, than you have to prove it to yourself, not just me or the rest of our friends. You're the only one holding yourself back. Engine or no, you can be the best at anything no matter what you are."

"How do you know?" Gordon grumbled.

"Because I'm not giving up on you."

Gordon was caught off guard. He shifted back to Rainbow Dash smiling with encouragement. She went on and gave him a good prep talking.

"I don't care how long it takes until you have to leave. If I have to teach you that the best way of over coming obstacles is by believing in your abilities, then that's exactly what we're gonna work on. I mean, if I can teach Thomas how to play basketball, than this'll be no sweat. Either way, you're gonna learn how to be fast, and we're gonna to have that race!"

Although the challenges seemed bleak, Gordon smiled back at Rainbow Dash, relieved that she still wanted to help him despite his set backs and arrogance.

With more confidence flowing through him, Gordon started back at the beginning and lined himself up, ready to try again. On Rainbow Dash's command Gordon takes off, this time assessing the obstacle in front of him and listening to her instructions. He wasn't being timed yet, so Gordon went through all the obstacles again with a much better sense of caution. Every time he did fall or get tangled up, he allowed Rainbow Dash to step in and help him out, much to his appreciation, and carried on again.

After completing most of the courses, Gordon felt he was ready to be timed. Rainbow Dash held out a stop clock and began the timer. Gordon took off again, mastering mostly every course he thundered past. He hopped across every hula hoop, climbed over cargo nets and leaped over frame climbers, balanced perfectly on the beams, made his way seamlessly across the monkey bar, swung across the swinging platform and stuck his landing. Splatter & Dodge were in in awe watching him complete all the courses. They never suspected him to get as good as he did. Gordon went back and repeated the course a couple times more until he finally broke his record. After his last run, Rainbow Dash happily gave him thumbs up after hitting the timer to indicate his record-breaking success.

"Oh yes!" Gordon said, confidently.

He looked up at the Bleachers to see Splatter & Dodge completely slack jawed. If the timer wasn't a good enough indication of his improvement, their reaction to his newly enhanced physical feat was. Smiling back at Rainbow Dash after rubbing it in their faces, Gordon knew now was the time to take what he learned to the test.


Outside on the soccer pitch, Rainbow Dash and Gordon prepped for their second, or rather official race. They agreed on one lap around the entire circumference of the field. The dirt track ran all around the soccer pitch in a wide circular course that enclosed the entire field. Gordon felt he didn't need any witnesses to show off how fast he's become, and how fast he'll be when the race begins. Rainbow Dash had her Geode Crystal locked away in her locker to assure that the tide was even. Her and Gordon can now have an proper competition.

"You sure you're ready, Gordon?" She asked ,stretching her arms.

"As ready as I've always been."

The two share a cold drink of water then lined up behind the white tape on the dirt track. Gordon and Rainbow Dash leaned in a running stance position, ready to start sprinting down the track. But, as he stared down the dirty path a head of him, Gordon actually felt nervous; a first for him in over many years. Can all his training pay off? Will he be able to win the race as a person? What if Rainbow Dash ends up winning; what will become of him then if the others find out? He never had such mixed emotions before. All his boasting and self assurance, and now his insecurity was being questioned and put to the test.

"Hey, Gordon. You're gonna do great."

Gordon looked over to Rainbow Dash smiling at him. He does the same.

"So will you, Rainbow Dash."

The two then stared with narrowed eyes down the track. The wind blew a clear breeze across their faces and brushed against their hair. All was silent, except their own heart beats. The time had come to start their race.

"Ready?"

Gordon was too deep in concentration. He was more than ready, as Rainbow Dash began the count down.

"Three, two, oneā€¦ Go!"

And with that, Gordon and Rainbow Dash took off, this time with out anyone falling over and landing flat on the ground. To both their surprise, Gordon kept up well with Rainbow Dash. He didn't fall behind or throttled a head. The two were in deed evenly matched now. Both runners still retained the same continuous speed. Though Gordon fell behind a tad, he still remained at the same consistent haste as Rainbow Dash. But then, he started falling behind more, and more, until Rainbow Dash was ten meters from him, getting further and further away. Gordon was losing his breath and panted wearily, slowing down even more than he could bare force himself on ward. He didn't know what to do. Running as a person was not easy at all. Gordon was about to lose.

Closing his eyes, Gordon imagined himself pulling the Express. This managed to calm him down. The feeling of speeding down the mainline with the wind blowing past his face, the sun shining down on him, and his wheels turning and gripping the rails as they thundered along the tracks eased his aching muscles. This made him feel very fast, and very important. He wanted that same feeling again; the same drive to push him towards his goal. But how? He was a person, and a person isn't anything like an engine. But Gordon didn't care though. Wheels or no wheels, he was the fastest thing ever built. And as his eyes shot open, all he could see was the Mainline tracks right in front of him with the cool, blooming spring trees of Sodor zooming past him. It was then that he began building up slack and sped down the track. Gordon was now in the zone. This was the drive he needed. He was made to be an engine, and an engine is what he was proud to be. Gordon may be a person now, but he was still a locomotive at heart.

Smirking with pride, Rainbow Dash looked behind checking how far away Gordon was, only to see him charging full speed straight towards her like a train chugging and clanking with each step he took. 'How was he running this fast all of a sudden,' she thought? If Gordon could believe he was the fastest engine ever, he believed so even as a person, because Gordon felt deep down he was born to be the fastest.

"Express coming through!"

To her shock, Gordon caught up with and ran right past Rainbow Dash, gaining more speed and running further away down the track. Rainbow Dash successfully caught up with him, but no matter how fast she ran, she couldn't pass Gordon. He continued staring down the dirty track, never looked back and fired up with unwavering resolute. Rainbow Dash was running next to him, impressed by his speed and determination. Gordon quickly glanced over to her and smirked before staring back at the school as they came to the other side across from where they started. Their leg muscles were pumping and aching, but they didn't slow down once. The sound of four feet pattered the ground, growing faintly louder and galloping along as the pulsating steps switch between a rhythmic and off sync motion and intensified with every leap off the ground. They ran side by side all the way around the field. Never falling back or gaining more speed a head of one another; both eagerly determined to win.

As they were about to make a turn, Gordon saw something that caught him off guard. Off to the side near the building walls was Mystic Sprinkles and the CMC. She stood by, watching Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle helping Scootaloo climb a rope that hanged from a beam attached to the wall. He examined Mystic, having a hard time making her out as he forced himself to run forward more to get a better look. Not paying attention, Gordon ran off course and headed straight for the impending wall close where they were gathered. Rainbow Dash immediately saw where he was heading and ran back to fetch him. Gordon was still in a fast-paced motion, but she managed to catch up, only she was unable to get in front of him. So, Rainbow Dash grabbed Gordon and the two fell onto the ground, sliding across the grass until they came to a complete stop.

Gordon opened his eyes after shutting them upon impact and saw Rainbow Dash laying right in front of him, opening and staring back at him through lidded eyes as well. They laid on the grass panting and catching their breaths for a short while. Gordon and Rainbow Dash sat up, still winded from their race, but managed to recover quickly. Rainbow Dash was both angry and confused, but also concerned for him.

"What was that all about?!"

He pointed at Mystic Sprinkles and the CMC. Rainbow Dash saw where he directed her, causing her eyes to shoot open. There was Mystic Sprinkles glooming over Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle comforting Scootaloo, who sat with knees locked under her arms and looking very discouraged. Gordon and Rainbow Dash exchanged looks. They got back on their feet and walked over to the four girls. It was upon further inspection that everyone appeared very upset about something. Scootaloo especially, who was on the verge of teary eyes.


Everyone was alerted to the two friends approaching them, especially Mystic. The tall teen boy next to her was someone she didn't know. But even thought she didn't remember well or why, she somehow recognized the rainbow hair colored girl. She knew her, as the girl who tried playing a silly joke on her with Thomas and a the other girls.

"You!" Mystic called, stepping away from her.

Rainbow Dash waved her arms out. "Chillax. I'm just here to check on my friend."

She tilted her head. "Wait, you're friends with Scootaloo too?"

"Uh, yeah. So, no need to worry about me. Not gonna try and freak you out or anything."

Mystic crossed her arms skeptically. She then looked over to Gordon who was busy examining her. 'Lady really did look odd as a person,' Gordon thought. Though the two never officially met, he somehow felt this timid demeanor he saw before him wasn't suited for her. As someone who controlled a Magical Railroad, his impression of her seemed more evident as someone booming with life and confidence; qualities Lady appears to truly be missing since she can no longer remember herself. He nodded at Mystic, also looking over him.

"Lady."

Mystic glared at him.

"Mystic Sprinkles!" She corrected.

"Like I can keep track anymore," Gordon's eyes rolled and his arms crossed.

She stared angrily at him even more. This boy must be a friend of Thomas, she realized. He must have told him what Thomas said to her. How else does he know about that name? Unless, the rumor of her being a magic train spread across school, and now everyone was calling her Lady. Mystic didn't like the thought of that being the case. He was just like everyone else in this school.

Rainbow Dash and Gordon then saw Scootaloo sniffling and trying to hold back some tears.

"Hey kid, what's the matter?" Rainbow Dash said kneeling down next to her.

Scootaloo quickly wiped away her tears, trying to compose herself as soon as she realized who it was kneeling next to and talking to her.

"Oh, hey Rainbow Dash! What's up," She said trying to sound chipper but toned it down after sounding too eager. "I was just, about to climb this rope here."

"Oh yeah? How's that coming along?"

"Not great," Sweetie Belle admitted.

"Sweetie Belle!" Scootaloo said.

"Might as well," Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo looked at Rainbow Dash nervously. She didn't want to explain what was really going on and appear as someone weak to her idol. She was afraid Rainbow Dash would think she wasn't cool or tough like her. None the less, if Mystic can open up to her, then perhaps maybe she can open up to her hero. Too ashamed to face her, however, Scootaloo turned her head away, took a deep breath and exhaled.

"I can't climb the rope!" she finally said.

Rainbow Dash looked up at the forty-foot rope supported by a beam.

"This rope?"

Scootaloo nodded, shamefully. "I've had trouble rope climbing for a long time. Almost like I'm incapable of it. Every time I try and pull myself up, I never get any higher or end up falling down."

Just then, doors that led into the gymnasium opened and out walked Splatter & Dodge. They surveyed the soccer field until they looked over to where Gordon, Rainbow Dash and the CMC were. At first, they weren't that surprised, until they saw Lady. She was just standing there, waiting for the taking. The two boys grinned and sneaked over to the group. Gordon peaked behind him then immediately turned away before they noticed him looking.

"I have a P. E. test tomorrow that involves rope climbing," Scootaloo continued. "All the students have to reach the very top, but I can barely get off the ground let alone pull myself up. Coach said if I don't successfully climb all the way, it'll remain on my transcript and I'll risk getting a bad mark in gym."

Rainbow Dash felt a tap on her shoulder and looked over to see Gordon nudging his head down the direction behind him. Her eyes shot open as she saw Splatter & Dodge slyly approaching Lady, unbeknownst to the faint giggling that crept closer and closer to her. She was more worried about her friend above all else to be paying attention to her surrounding. Impetuously, Rainbow Dash got up and sped over to them wrapping her arms around their shoulders.

"Splatter, Dodge!" She said eagerly. "How's it going? It's been a while!"

Mystic looks at her and the two boys perplexedly. How many friends did this girl have? More curiously, where did she recognize those two from?

"R-really?" Dodge said.
"Yeah it's only been, what, two days?"
"Two days isn't a while."
"Was it even two days?"
"I don't know anymore."
"Me neither."

"Why don't we catch up by my locker? There's so much that's happened since we talked."

The two boys wouldn't budge though as Rainbow Dash tried nudging them forward.

"Ah, yeah. We know what you're trying to do," Splatter said, glaring at her.

"So, do, I!" She whispered through gritted teeth.

Everyone stared at them confusingly. Rainbow Dash looked back and chuckled sheepishly.

"C'mon, I insist. Now let's go!"

Using all of her force, she jolted the two forward still locked under her arms.

"Be right back!" She called.

Splatter & Dodge trembled and wobbled trying to break free of her grasp while retaining their balance, forcing them all the way back into the school through the gym doors. Gordon was left alone with Mystic Sprinkles and the CMC. He was about to follow her, but then stopped and looked back at Mystic and the three other girls.

Now that her idol wasn't around to see her, Scootaloo couldn't hold back her tears anymore as they began piling up and dripping down her face. Mystic couldn't bare seeing Scootaloo so upset. Her friend; the one who helped her along with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom when she was feeling down and hopeless. There had to be something she could do to; but she couldn't think of anything that might cheer her up.

"Scootaloo," She said, kneeling down next to her. "Please don't cry. Why don't we try it again?"

"Yeah, Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle encouraged. "Let's keep on trying. I'm sure the more we work on it the better you'll get!"

"Remember what we were sayin' earlier?" Apple Bloom said. "We may be short but we don't get defeated. We've got hearts strong as horses!"

"But I'm not a horse!"

Everyone stared at her worrisome. While their hearts were in the right place, it wasn't enough to ease Scootaloo or her rain of tears.

"I'm never gonna pass this test, which means I'm gonna get a bad mark and fail gym class," Scootaloo whimpered. "Why can't I do something so simple as climb a rope? Everyone else can do it fine, so how come I'm the only one having trouble?"

"Scootaloo," Mystic said, somberly.

"I've worked really hard too. I keep trying and trying, thinking I've gotten better, but it get's me nowhere. I don't wanna be bad a rope climbing. I don't wanna fail this test! It's just not fair!"

Scootaloo buried her face in her arms, and started crying. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle patted her back for comfort. Mystic didn't know what to do. Seeing her friend in a similar state she was in made her heart sink. She felt so helpless listening to her sobbing beneath her arms.

All the while, Gordon saw and heard everything, watching and listening in to what's going on. Earlier, he was in the same mind set as Scootaloo. He could barely run, jump or climb over obstacles. Even when he was racing Rainbow Dash, he still doubted his ability to carry himself all the way through, something Gordon has never done before to the likes of his memory. When all seemed lost for him, Gordon came to the quick comprehension that kick started a new-found confidence he could be proud of again. Whether he was on two legs or eighteen wheels, he was made to be fast, and that's what drove him to believe he could not only keep up with Rainbow Dash, but also surpass her; if only for a brief moment. None the less, it was through Rainbow Dash's coaching, support, and loyalty that taught him to over come the obstacle courses and improve his speed. But most importantly, to be the best that he can regardless of what he is.

Knowing all of this, Gordon actually began feeling grief for Scootaloo. It saddened him to hear her crying as well. He knew how frustrating the feeling of not being able to do something all to well, especially since he on occasions got stuck going up his own hill back on Sodor. Too disheartened by her predicament, Gordon determinedly knelt down on one knee next to Scootaloo and gaining her attention right as he spoke up.

"Now you listen here, little one. I didn't become the fastest, strongest, most important engine on Sodor by sitting around and crying to myself. I did so because I am an Express engine."

Scootaloo looked at Gordon perplexedly while he spoke. She had no idea where he was going with this, or why he was referring to himself as an engine. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle exchange several looks just as confused.

"And Express engines are made to be right on time and really reliable. How do I know this? Because that's what I was built to do.

The CMC all blinked and stared perplexedly at Gordon.

"What I'm trying to say is," He continued. "If I was made to pull the Express, then you were most certainty made to climb this rope."

Scootaloo wiped away some of her tears. "B-but, I can't. Weren't you listening?"

"I was. Which is why I am telling you to stop doubting yourself and start trusting your abilities. The problem isn't being able to climb, it's thinking you can't that's preventing you from doing so.""

"But,"

Gordon interrupted. "You have to believe you can if you're ever going to make it to the top. You were made to climb this rope, and climbing is what you're more than capable of doing."

He stood up placing his hands on his hips.

"Now, let's see you climb this rope," Gordon commanded.

Scootaloo and the others stared at him like he was a mad man.

"Um, excuse me?" She said.

"I want to see you climbing this rope."

"I told you already, I can't."

"And that's why you couldn't do it before; by saying you can't."

"I won't get any higher than a foot off the ground."

"All I need to see is how you climb. We'll worry about getting further up afterwards."

Scootaloo looked at her friends wondering what they thought about Gordon's approach. They too didn't know where he was leading with this, but they wanted her to keep on trying and supported the notion; encouraging her to give it another shot. Mystic kept to herself and just sat there watching this unfold, perplexed over why this boy was helping her friend.

Hesitantly, Scootaloo got up and approached the forty-foot rope; staring up at the very top where the beam hanged attached firmly to the wall. She grabs onto the rope with both hands and dangled half a foot off the ground. She tries pulling herself up using all of her upper body strength as she goes to grab the rest of the rope above her, reaching with one arm and the other to hold and support herself. Scootaloo couldn't carry the weight of her entire body by one arm though and lost her grip, causing her to let go entirely and fall back down. Thankfully Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle stood by to catch her before she hit the ground.

"See," She said. "No matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself up."

Gordon stroked his chin while inspecting the present issue. He knew nothing about rope climbing, but thought of a way to help, even thought he wasn't so sure himself if his input would work. Regardless, he walked up to and handed Scootaloo the end of rope. Puzzled, she takes it back while he instructed her on how to hold it and what to do when climbing.

"Here's what you need to do," he began. "You're relying too much on your arms to carry you. Try wrapping the rope around your leg and step on it like this. That way you're being supported while your arms have free movement to hoist yourself."

"I don't know about this," Scootaloo said, doubtfully.

"Go on, Scootaloo. Give it a shot!" Sweetie Belle said.

"You can do it, Scoot. We believe in you!" Apple Bloom cheered.

Scootaloo looks back at Gordon nodding reassuringly. Taking a deep breath and exhaling, Scootaloo wraps the rope around her right leg and hoists herself up. She steps on the end that overlaps her foot with her left. With all her might, she reaches and pulls herself up; gliding along the rope as she climbed further while remaining clutched on the line, shaking a bit down at her feet to get rid of the slack. Everyone was amazed. Scootaloo looked down surprised to see how much higher she was than her last attempts and beamed with joy.

"I-I'm climbing? Hey! I'm actually climbing!"

"Keep goin', Scootaloo!" Apple Bloom called.

"Yeah, don't stop now," Sweetie Belle said. "Reach for the sky!"

More determined than ever, Scootaloo pulled herself up further and further all the way, slithering her legs along the rope as she got closer to the top. Gordon, Mystic, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle watched with incredulity as she reaches the very peak of the beam. In complete disbelief herself, Scootaloo's adrenaline was racing with excitement upon realizing how high she was. She had made it at last.

"I did it!" She called.

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom cheered and jumped with excitement. Mystic Sprinkles was just as overjoyed and proud of her friend. Never had she grinned as bright as she is in such a long time. Scootaloo looked down to see her friends celebrating and a smiling Gordon nodding with approval. She lets go of the rope, thinking her knees could still hold on, and waved her arms in the air in celebration. However, her knees couldn't keep their grip as she found herself dangling upside down from the the rope. Everyone gasped in shock. Struggling to cling back on, Scootaloo then found herself plummeting all the way back down. Her friends watched with horro as a screaming Scootaloo neared the ground. Instinctively, Gordon got in underneath where she was about to land and grunted as he successfully catches her in his arms.

"I got you."

Scootaloo blushes coyly, laying in his arms until Gordon placed her back down on her feet. Unknown to them, the coach was watching them the whole time while taking notes.

"Are you okay, Scootaloo?" He asked, running up to them.

She nodded.

"Phew, I'm glad you're alright. I must say, that was some remarkable improvement you displayed there a moment ago. Keep this up tomorrow and you'll past the test no problem!" He then walked off proceeding back into the gymnasium.

"Did you hear that?" Scootaloo exclaimed, "He said I'm gonna pass! I'm gonna get a good mark!"

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle both hugged Scootaloo and all three jumped up and down, cheering and celebrating her victory. While she couldn't be any happier for her friend, Mystic was still confused over why Gordon would help her. If he was a friend of Thomas wouldn't he just tease her for not being able to climb? Where did this sudden kindness of his come from?

"Why did you do that?" She asked. "You don't even know who she is."

"Neither did you. Simply put it, 'Mystic Sprinkles', I wanted to her realized that no matter what she is, Scootaloo here is made to do just about anything; by believing in herself enough and seeing she's more than capable of overcoming her set backs. Just like how Thomas wants to help you realize who you really are."

Mystic was taken aback. He did have a point, despite her contempt for his attitude. He still believed Thomas' silly assumption of her. How can somebody like that still want to help someone else in need? Perhaps he wasn't as bad as she led on to believe? The CMC overheard Gordon's praise after finishing their cheers. They exchange looks at each other in agreement with his message. He then walked up and knelt down next to them.

"Well done, little one. Didn't I say you were made to climb that rope? And it looks as though you'll receive a glowing report to boot!"

Overwhelmed with gratitude, Scootaloo went up and hugged Gordon tightly.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!"

"Oh. It was uh, nothing," Gordon said, hugging her back shyly.

It was a strange feeling having someone hug him; someone he barely knew but helped out when they were faced with a difficult dilemma. It made him happy. Scootaloo lets go, still beaming with joy. The school bell ranged to indicate the end of third period.

"C'mon," Apple Bloom said. "Let's get pizza in the Cafeteria to celebrate Scoot's victory."

"Yeah!" The three girls say in unison.

The CMC laughed as they raced pass Gordon. Sweetie Belle grabbed Mystic by the hand and drags her along with them. Mystic looks over her shoulders to Gordon, the teen boy who she thought was nothing but a jerk at first and actually came through to help her good friend out with her issue. She felt very conflicted indeed.


Just then, a blue streak zoomed in next to Gordon and gave him a bit of a jolt.

"Sorry I took so long," Rainbow Dash said. "I had to take Splatter & Dodge somewhere where they couldn't find their way back to the gym."

She quickly noticed upon surveying the area that Mystic and the CMC were now gone.

"Wait, where's Scootaloo? Where's Lady?!"

"Scootaloo was having a bit of a rough start climbing this rope. While you were gone, I gave her a few pointers and helped her make a remarkable improvement. As for Lady?"

Gordon and Rainbow Dash both glanced towards the gym entrance. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle all waved at him as they and Mystic entered the building. Rainbow Dash smiled at him proudly, nudging his arm in a playfully manner. Gordon does the same.

"Thanks for looking out for them," Rainbow Dash said. "So, are we gonna pick up where we left off or what?"

Gordon pondered over it for a few seconds before speaking up.

"You know, now that I think of it, I don't think it matters who's the fastest. What matters is that we're more than capable of doing anything we want no matter what we are, especially running fast. And helping someone else realize this was a far greater reward than beating you in a race. So, if it's all the same with you, Rainbow Dash, I'm happy with just being whatever I'm made to be."

Rainbow Dash smiled. "I'm proud of you, Gordon. You managed to over come set backs, accepted that you can't be good at everything at first and worked on bettering yourself not as a person or an engine, but as your own self. Not to mention passing along what you learned onto others. So, if you'd rather not have another race, I guess I'm okay with that too."

"Thank you, Rainbow Dash."

Then she turned on her heel and smirked a cheeky grin while crossing her arms behind her head.

"Besides, I understand if you're too chicken to lose against me."

Gordon steamed and glared at her. His face was red with anger.

"It's perfectly fine being okay with the fact that I'm always gonna be the faster out of the two of us."

"Why you!"

Gordon reached his arms out and tried charging after her, only for Rainbow Dash to step out of his way, causing him to trip over himself and fall on his back. He laid on the ground then wearily opened his eyes to find Rainbow Dash smugly but playfully leaning over him.

"I don't think so. Gotta catch me first, if you can!" She taunted with a wink then ran off laughing.

Very annoyed at first, Gordon smirked and started chuckling too as he got up and proceeded after Rainbow Dash. The two friends chased each other around the soccer pitch then all the way back into the school building, all while laughing and having fun. Although they never found out who was the fastest out of the two, they both agreed that the lessons they learned today was a far greater discovery than seeing who can out run who. And while they one day hope to still answer that question, today they were just fine being much better friends.


To Be Continued.

PreviousChapters Next