• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 1,129 Views, 38 Comments

A Prince's Folly - Doctor Whooves



Dashing hero, noble stallion... greatest fraudster in all of Equestria. I am Prince Blueblood,.

  • ...
0
 38
 1,129

Doctor's Report

" Prince Blueblood? Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? I could, of course, mention his great deeds
and mighty quests. Or, perhaps, his passion for literature and quick wit. But no; I was always far more interested in the pony behind the stallion - loves, lovers, tales of woe and songs of magic, lost adventures and forgotten discoveries.
Thus, I was both greatly surprised and immensely curious when the so-called 'Lost Chronicles' dropped almost directly into my lap. "
~ Interview with Doctor Whooves, Editor and Publisher of A Prince's Folly: The Lost Chronicles

It was the morning of May, 1120, when a collection of papers were discovered during a sale of household furniture in Buckingshire, Equestria. They were summarily claimed by the closest remaining relations to the author, the Princesses Luna and Celestia, and secreted in the depths of the Canterlot Archives.

The major public interest in said papers, their connection to the Regis Immortalis notwithstanding, was the clearly identified writer in the celebrated Prince Blueblood, patron of the arts, scholar, adventurer, and author of the Daring Do series.

The papers are, in fact, the late Prince’s private memoirs. Beginning the day of his twenty-first birthday, and continuing until well afterwards, he appears to have written them somewhere before 1070, although the date is uncertain. If accurate, though, it would suggest that he was deep into the later stages of his life by the time they were completed. Indeed, it is possible that he did not himself write the journals, instead employing a ghost writer, though no such pony has come forward as of yet.

The papers, which had apparently lain untouched for upwards of forty years inside a chest of drawers, were kept wrapped inside the remains of the cloak of a Royal Guard Captain. It is unknown how they came to be in such a position, however many postulate the previous discovery, and subsequent undiscovery, of the manuscripts by close relations of the Prince. The reasons for such an act are unknown, if deducible.

Fortunately, its ensuing rediscovery was perpetrated by one with little-to-no emotional investment in the stallion, and they are presented in perfect condition, as might not be the case were they otherwise inclined. I have, therefore, no doubt that what I have in my possession is a full, frank and complete account of the events surrounding Blueblood’s life. Where he touches upon historical fact, he is consistently accurate, and the previous owner was unlikely to care enough to change the report significantly, or indeed at all. As a result, I am inclined to present this as nothing less than solid truth.

The Royal Sisters, knowing of my interest in this subject, have allowed me to edit, and publish, these papers, and so it is to them I dedicate this narrative.

Thank you for reading.


D.W.