• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 3,802 Views, 335 Comments

Dreaming of Paws - Glassed



Some people gets to Equestria as a 6ft tall cat-warrior... and then there's Jazz.

  • ...
15
 335
 3,802

Chapter 6: Pawdon the Singing

Chapter 6: Pawdon the Singing.

I wiped a small amount of blood from the corner of my mouth. I don’t like fighting, I really don’t, but it seems like fighting likes me… if that makes any sense whatsoever.

My knuckles were red, both from the blood and from the heavy hits I just gave that guy. “Jerk…”

I can barely remember why I fought him in the first place. He hadn’t done anything in particular to me, just did the old ‘tough guy’-thing with sticking out his chest and throwing a few insults my way.

He asked for it, right?

I slumped down the wall and looked down the alley that bastard had fled down. I didn’t bother going after him, we both knew who had won this fight. It’s not like this was something special. This was basically Tuesdays for me.

I heard footsteps to my right. A by-passer on the street most likely. Suddenly, the footsteps stopped. They didn’t fade out as if the guy was going past me. He had stopped at the alley. Yeah, get a good look jackass.

I looked up to face the bystander and I raised an eyebrow at what I saw.

A little girl, probably not much older than seven or eight years old, wearing a pink t-shirt with balloons on it, was looking at me with a confused expression.

I’m about six feet tall, medium length darkish hair and I’m bleeding from the corner of my mouth. I’ll admit that I must look pretty freaking scary right now. So why hasn’t she just left yet? And… why’s she smiling like that?

True enough, she wore a huge toothy smile. Missing a tooth, I noted offhandedly.

“Why are you smiling?” I asked her. She waited a moment before answering.

“Pinkie Pie says that you should giggle at the ghostie. So I’m smiling.”

Who the fuck is ‘Pinkie Pie’? “So… you’re scared?” She nodded. “Of me?” She nodded again.

“So why the he-“ I stopped myself. Don’t cuss in front of the kids. “-are you still here?”

“Because you’re not smiling.” She answered.

What kind of reason was that!? “What?” I asked with a confused expression on my face.

“Why aren’t you smiling?” She asked me.

“I don’t really see any reason I should smile.” Depressing, I know, but that’s life.

“Do you need a reason to smile?” I raised an eyebrow at her question. “Pinkie says that a smile helps you feel better.”

Am I being lectured about life from a 7 year old? Oh fucking joy. “I just don’t want to smile, OK!” I said, perhaps a bit more harshly than I had wanted.

Apparently this girl’s got guts, as she didn’t flinch in the slightest and began singing. Yes, singing. As in lyrics. About smiling. A song about smiling is what I’m saying.

My name is Pinkie Pie,
And I am here to say,
I’m gonna make you smile, and I will brighten up your day!

This… this is ridiculous. She’s singing!

It doesn’t matter now,
If you are sad or blue.
Cause cheering up, my friend, is just what Pinkie’s here to do

…Ridiculous…

She began doing a cartwheel while she sang.

Cause I love to make you smile, smile, smile!
It fills my heart with sunshine all the while,
Cause all I really need is smile, smile, smile,
From these happy friends of mine!

The corner of my mouth twitched. So… ridiculous… She continued singing and dancing. I had to give the girl credit; she had plenty of energy to spare.

When she finally got to the end of the song, I did something I hadn’t done properly in months, maybe even years.

I started to laugh.

There wasn’t a trace of malice or arrogance in it. It wasn’t a hateful or mocking laugh, nor was it just for politeness sake.

It was a honest to god laugh.

I could feel the wound in my mouth throb every time I exhaled. The muscles around my mouth hurt as well, not used to being strained. It hurt and I could feel tears flowing down my cheeks. I didn’t know if it was from the pain or from the laughter.

All I knew was that it felt good!

The girl began to laugh with me. “Yay! I made you smile! It’s nice, right?”

“Yes,” I wiped a tear away from my eye. “Yes, it’s nice.” There was something about her. I never had anything against kids, but this girl just… radiated happiness! I’ve got no other way of explaining it; she was making me smile just by being here.

“You know what mister?”

“What?”

“If you smile to people, they will smile back. And if they smile, you start smiling as well! Isn’t that just awesome?” She did a little twirl. “I love getting people to smile! That’s what Pinkie Pie does! That’s why she’s my favorite character!”

I let out a little laugh. What the fuck was wrong with me? I’m not like this! I’m not… smiling… Why is that a bad thing? She’s right. I really like this. It’s so stupid, but I can’t stop smiling.

“Hey, mister?” She asked while tilting her head. I looked up at her from my position on the ground. “Will you help people smile as well?”

“Is that what ‘Pinkie’ would do?” I asked with a smug smile on my face. She nodded quickly and energetically enough that I was actually afraid her head might have fallen off. “Then OK, I guess.”

She jumped up in the air and threw her hands in the air. “Yes! Thank you mister!” She looked at her little pink wrist-watch. “Oh no, I have to go home! Mom is baking cupcakes! Bye mister!”

And she was off. Leaving me sitting in an alley, smiling like an idiot.

I looked up at the clouds. “Smiling, huh? Might not be that bad…”

And with that said and done, the dream ended. Once more reminding me of how a little girl taught me how to spread smiles and laughter.

How I became who I am.