• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 464 Views, 7 Comments

All Behind Celestial Rays - Cosy Purity



A in-depth tale of Celestia's past adventures and her life before the events that we are so familiar with.

  • ...
3
 7
 464

I Think You Thought the Wrong Thing

Celestia’s eyes were squeezed shut. She was too afraid to open them.

Despite this, she knew where she was.

Celestia was squeezed behind a pillar within a corridor of the castle, holding her breath as she heard the loud echo of claws scraping against marble and the hard plodding of a tall, angry alicorn.

She flinched as she heard him yowl,

“Cowards!”

She squirmed even more uncomfortably, terror rising in her throat, her heart pounding within her chest. She quickly snatched a fern nearby and placed it beside the pillar in order to hide herself more fully, just in case.

It was surely something Nightfall would barely notice if he came down this hallway, since he was likely unfamiliar with the usual decor of the castle.

Celestia listened once more as she curled even tighter against the pillar, making sure she was level beneath the fern’s leaves.

Slowly letting out a breath, she strained her ears attentively, recognizing the crawling, scratchy voice of one of Nightfall’s minions.

“I would have thought after all this time they’d have come out from their little underground refuge to make their cowardly surrender...”

“Yes,” Another chimed in, “Perhaps the Tantabus was wrong? Maybe they’ve run off somewhere else, and they’re long gone by now.”

Celestia heard a loud whack bouncing not too far off in the castle.

“Foolish gryphon,” Nightfall hissed, “the Tantabus would not lie. We sent him after the ponies to find where they were hiding out, and he discovered them. Of course they’re underground!”

Gryphon. Celestia recalled, So that’s what they are.

The cautious, strained voice of the same gryphon that Nightfall had previously slapped replied,

“But then why would they stay there to be covered in debris? We’ve been jumping up and down for a while now, not to mention you doing that laser-beam thing at the ground a bajillion times. The place should be filled. That’s what the Tantabus said.”

“You are not wise to question me,” Nightfall said in a very low voice, “but... perhaps they have somehow escaped. Maybe the tunnels lead outside of the castle. I want you to send out a search party of the area. They can’t have gone off too far.”

Then a new voice broke in.

“That won’t be necessary.”

Celestia’s heart lurched. She felt a tear form in the corner of her eyes.

No.

“Ah,” Nightfall breathed, “Nebula.”

“It’s been a while,” Her father replied.


Starswirl and the alicorns were all gathered up in a section of the forest, a nice clearing where they had visited on field trips for educational purposes, designed to scout other areas of the kingdom so that they could see what it was like beyond the large town that they lived in, the castle being at the very center.

They were so far off from the castle - even beyond the big patch of woods - that Starswirl was certain the evil alicorn would hardly be able to guess they’d set up refuge all the way up here.

“They should call this the Evergreen Forest,” he overheard one very young filly commenting, “everything is so lush and green.”

“It seems like it never changes,” The filly’s mother put in, “Last time I was here it was just as lively. Since my visit, all I’ve heard from ponies who’ve been - no matter what the season - always comment on how beautiful it is here.”

Upon hearing the praises of the woodland Starswirl had chosen, he thought of all the things Celestia would be blethering about, admiring the entire area without any restraint, her compliments surely endless.

Curious as to why he couldn’t see her leaping about and sniffing the flowers on that bush a couple feet from him, he decided to go look for her.

His eyes widened.

Hopefully she hasn’t run off to explore more of the place. She’ll definitely get lost.

Starswirl shook his head and sighed at the immaturity of his companion.

Then he began to navigate around the tangle of alicorns and a few of the royal guard and maybe a couple of doctors here and there, eyes narrowing in concern when he didn’t see her around.

“Celestia!” He called out, expecting her to come hopping over with curiosity lit in her wide purple eyes.
Instead, she mysteriously made no appearance.

“Celestia!” He repeated, and one alicorn caught on to his calls and began to look about the mess of alicorns to spot her little white shape.

When he saw no sign either, he began to call her name, and soon enough everypony was shouting for her.

Starswirl weaved around the crowd to find Vibrant Sunrise, who appeared very frantic.

“Ohhh, she had better not have wandered off….” She murmured to herself, reflecting Starswirl’s own worries.

Then her face took on a new shade of horror and she breathed,

“What if she didn’t make it with the rest of us? What if she was left behind? First Nebula going off to wherever his dragon-brained mind wants and now her! Oh, I can’t take it… Tia, sweetie! Where are you!?”

Starswirl poked Vibrant’s shoulder very cautiously.

The alicorn let out a breath and turned to him, her blue eyes filled with fear.

“Ah, Starswirl, you’re her friend, right?” She said, seemingly trying very hard to sound calm, “have you seen her anywhere?”

She began to subconsciously cradle her little baby as she held her breath, waiting expectantly for Starswirl’s explanation.

Starswirl glanced at the ground.

What do I say? He thought, at the state that she’s in, the next thing I tell her….

“Uh…” He croaked, “...not… really?”

Vibrant Sunrise looked down at her newborn, pupils dilated to a worrisome extent. She was still holding her breath.

It reminded Starswirl of a volcano holding in its smoke, on the verge of a dangerous explosion.

“...Don’t… worry, Mrs. Sunrise,” He stammered, “she’s… with us in spirit!”

He squeezed his eyes shut at his ridiculous attempt for reassurance.

Kaboom.