• Published 5th Aug 2012
  • 1,228 Views, 10 Comments

Through Those Eyes - marcyfly



The ponies, surroundings, and images of the pony world through the crooked eyes of the grey mare.

  • ...
0
 10
 1,228

Someone Who Understands

Someone Who Understands

I woke up the next morning with Dinky staring with me muzzle to muzzle. The sudden surprise of those yellow eyes meeting mine made me unleash my wings and fly out of bed, only to back up into my dresser and tumble to the ground. I reopened my eyes again only to see the image of Dinky with a pained expression, through one eye, and a shattered ceramic muffin I received for Mare Mother's Day, out the other.

"Mommy, you okay?!", Dinky asked with great concern. "I didn't mean to scare you! I just wanted to make sure you're okay!", she hung her head. "Some help I was..."

After I was able to readjust my eyes, I flew over to my guilty daughter. "Hey now, don't talk like that! You didn't mean to! Everypony makes mistakes. Especially me!" I didn't deny my clumsiness, especially because everypony already knew. "Hey, whadda you say and we go over to Sugarcube Corner for some breakfast pastries? Just you, Sparkler, and I!"

"Really? That sounds awesome! I'll go let Sparkler know!"

She darted out the door calling for Sparkler. I picked up the pieces of shattered muffin and threw out the shards in the bathroom trash-bin then began my morning routine to get ready for the day.

~0~

A few minutes later we were at Sugarcube Corner enjoying our pastries. Dinky got her regular cinnamon swirl coffee cake, Sparkler with her mix-berry scone, and I had my blueberry muffin. I noticed one of the mares outside, I had seen her before but never had the time to find out who she was. She was a normal unicorn, the only thing abnormal about her was the way she, um, sat. Most ponies sat with their flanks and hooves on the seat, but her. She sat with her hind legs dangling off her seat and her back was at a 90 degree angle, making her look like she had a gut. It was hard not to look or snicker, but each pony was special in his or her way. I went back to my muffin when I caught Dinky staring at the slumping unicorn.

"Mommy, why does that unicorn sit like a weirdo?" Dinky said a little too loudly.

I looked back to the green unicorn and noticed she had overheard. She hadn't looked displeased, but more intrigued by my daughter's curiosity.

"I'm so sorry!" I pleaded as I grabbed DInky and covered her mouth to prevent any other tongue-slips. "Dinky! Do not judge other ponies by the way they act! Now, say you're sorry."

"Sorry lady." Dinky said, head down. "I just liked the way you sit."

"Oh, it's okay silly filly! I don't mind! I know I don't sit like other ponies, I like to be different!" said the unicorn.

The last few lines particularly caught my attention, as they applied to me.

"Please, may we join you at your table?" I asked, although I knew it was not polite to invite myself to her table.

"Oh, please do! Im sure there are some other chairs around here you can use. I'm Lyra by the way. Lyra Heartstrings."

"Nice to meet you! These are my daughters, Sparkler and Dinky Hooves. And my name is Derpy Hooves."

After getting more acquainted with the interesting Lyra, a question crossed my mind. "Sparkler, here," I fished out 10 bits out of my saddle bag. "Take Dinky to town and buy whatever you like as long as it stays in budget. I'll be here with Ms. Lyra. Have fun, and don"t talk to strangers!" Sparkler took the bits and Dinky, waved farewell, then headed out.

"You've done a good job raising those two! What's your secret? Bribery? Black mail?" Lyra said with a joking tone.

"Just lots of love and lots of patience! That and the tolerance potion I put in my muffins." I retorted, sarcasm oozing from the second sentence.

"Ah, I see..." Lyra said chuckling.

"Now, Lyra. Forgive me if you take this the wrong way but, is there a reason why you sit like that?"

She chuckled at first, then became more serious. "I know the way I sit isn't, normal, but it's more influence that causes me to sit like this than choice. You see, I have these..." she sighed and looked around". "I have these, visions. Now I know it sounds cra-"

Just then another vision had started, this one was the most painful, most agonizing... and in public. Images of the pale creatures, the crying ponies...the machine, came to view, except the visions were clear. I could clearly see ponies that I've seen and met crying out, begging not to be sent away on the machine. Just then, the strangest of all things I've seen in my visions, came to view. Lyra. One of the creatures was carrying her in it's long cloaked arms. She was kicking and frailing, clinging to the creatures arms and begging; not to be freed, but to join them. Shouting "NO! I WANT TO JOIN YOU! TO BE YOU! PLEASE DON'T SEND ME AWAY! I WORSHIP YOU!" The creature placed her on the machine and like all the others was wisped away. Next, was me. This creature looked as if he had pity for us. He picked me up with the greatest amount of kindness. "W-where are you taking us?" I uttered in complete shock. To my surprise, he actually responded. "Somewhere where we can't find you" he replied with a heart-wrenching sob as a tender tear trickled down his face. "He placed me on the machine and, before pressing the button, mouthed the words 'I'm sorry' The button was pushed, but nothing happened. The creatures were puzzled, shocked, angry at how their machine had failed. They began banging on the machine, frantically pushing buttons, shouting at each other. A particularly big creature picked up a text book, and wham! The glass wall made to keep ponies from escaping shattered, the pipes above collapsed, smoke spread. One particular pipe fell squarely on my head and made the vision blurry. Everything stopped. No more smoke. No more arguments. The button was pushed again. The world around me swirled in a lavender haze. But, instead of finding the other side of the portal, I woke up in the hospital. Dinky and Sparkler were at the foot of my hospital bed, tears dripping down their now happy faces.

"Mom, what happened?!" Sparkler sobbed rushing to my side and hugged me tightly. "We came back to Sugarcube Corner and the donkey-cart was loading you and Ms. Heartstrings into the back!"

Lyra?! I ignored my own daughter and looked to the hospital bed beside me. There was Lyra on the side of her bed, rubbing her head with her hoof, sitting like a weirdo.