• Published 31st Jul 2017
  • 5,344 Views, 339 Comments

Spectrum of Lightning - Seriff Pilcrow



Dive into the secret past of Twilight Velvet—mother of the Princess of Friendship—as she embarks on her first guns-blazing adventure with the Whip-Cracking Crusader. Volume 1 of Daring Did: Tales of an Adventurer's Companion

  • ...
3
 339
 5,344

Chapter 3: Spicy Time

Spike blinked slowly, his jaw hanging slightly open while he furrowed his brow. He set Twilight Velvet's journal on the floor, his mind whirling like a pinwheel.

“What in Equestria?”

He crossed his arms, glaring down at the journal.

“There's no way...” Spike scratched his right temple. “Twilight Velvet… and Daring Do?”

Spike frowned for a long moment before a smile crept onto his face.

“Bah, what am I thinking?” Spike regained his composure and scolded himself. “This can't be real!” Spike delicately picked the journal back up, his eyes lingering on the cover. “Pretty good fanfic, though…”

Another thought wiped the smile off his face. It wouldn't be the first time Daring Do had surprised him. Why, it only seemed like yesterday when he, Twilight, and her friends thought Daring was just a fictional character. Considering their chaotic life in Ponyville, he really shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore.

Still, it was a bit of a stretch...

Part of him wanted to put the journal away and resume his search for First Edition Power Ponies, but...wasn't it his responsibility to keep reading? If there was even the slightest chance this was real, he had a duty to tell Twilight. Besides, this was already better than the last three Daring Do books of the series.

Spike figured he was going to be in the attic for quite a while—Might as well get comfortable. He dragged the lumpy pillow from near the coat hook to the light and fluffed it to remove the dust. With a reflexive lick of his claw, he flicked the journal to the beginning and settled himself on the pillow.

“All right, Twilight Velvet,” Spike said to the journal. “Entertain me.”

Dear Journal,

You know those times when you think you did something terrible in a previous life, and now the world is deliberately engineering events just to make you its bitch?

Yeah, I've had one of those moments.

Maybe I should start by recounting how today began. I was in my hotel in Vanhoover, packing my things for a trip back to Canterlot.

Okay, so that wasn't the only thing I was doing. Let's just say I was also doing some last-minute renovating


Twilight Velvet squinted at the two exposed wires she was bringing together with her front hooves. Small arcs of purple electricity danced on her horn and floated to the copper filaments on the wires, only to dissipate without any effect.

“Come on... Come on... don't do this to me,” she grumbled.

She brought the wires closer, eventually managing to get them to spark. A muffled crackle reached her ears, a sparkle forming in her light blue eyes.

“Ha! Still got it.”

It was the last piece of her puzzle: the reason her face spent the last fifteen minutes stuffed on the back of the TV, her plump posterior sticking out and upwards in the air. Thank Celestia she was alone in her hotel room.

Velvet stood up and scoped her room. Wires snaked across the carpet at the center, and she had to be careful not to trip over any as she moved. Her saddlebag lay on a wooden table near the window—notebooks, pens, and one train ticket spilling out. Her master's thesis, ‘Laying the Groundwork for Mundane Technology in a Magical World,’ lay alongside a copy of Dual Nature's, ‘Looking to the Future: The Case for the Hybridization of Magic and Technology.’ Just glancing at the two articles caused Velvet to purse her lips. A snippet of the seminar she'd given the day before replayed in her mind like a tangled cassette tape.

"Most historians agree that technology first arose because of a sudden drop in the unicorn population. We're still trying to figure out why—could be a disease, could be the fact that this was during the Warring Tribes period. In any case, after the unification of the tribes, the unicorn artisans thought, 'Oh shit, there aren't enough of us to cast spells to make our doohickeys! Let's make stuff that'll allow us to craft more without magic. While we're at it, get the other races to help us: fun for the whole family, so to speak!”

The TV she had been working on, a flat-screen, had a black cavity in place of an actual display. The polarizing film, the liquid crystal layer, the active matrix—all the components of the screen lay scattered on the bed. Several pieces of the TV's circuit board lay on the floor, soldered to the wires with hasty heating spells. There was a full-body mirror mounted on the wall, wires soldered to its mounts with the same haphazard manner. In place of a reflection, however, was a swirling gray pattern of static, spitting out the occasional crackling sound.

Velvet took a deep breath. To her, this was a way to relieve her tinkering itch.

To other ponies, this was just an elaborate form of vandalism.

"Not my best; wish I brought my voltage regulator. But, eh, good enough. Now for the final touch."

Three thumps sounded from the ceiling. Dust fell to the floor and sprinkled around Velvet, but all she did was roll her eyes and bite her lip. That thumping noise had been going on for the past five minutes, and Velvet's left eye was starting to twitch. She grabbed a piece of metal, left over from her endeavors, and knocked it against the ceiling several times.

“If you're too excited to keep it to yourself, then you won't mind if I come join you!”

Silence…sweet silence.

Velvet's horn sputtered as it produced arcs of purple and cerise electricity that made their way to the mirror. Her mind raced through various calculations and frequencies, tailoring her magic to find the one she was looking for.

The static in the mirror began to clear. In its place, the image of a blue stallion came into view. He was resting his cheek on his hoof as he read an astronomy book, which was levitating in front of his face.

“Hey, Nachtlicht!” Velvet called out in a mangled Germane accent. The stallion jerked upwards, hooves flailing in surprise. The book he was reading got a new chapter on aviation as he turned to face Velvet. He smiled and tried to play it cool, though not without fidgeting a bit and hurriedly running a comb through his mane.

“You owe me ten bits,” said Velvet as she sat in front of the mirror.

“Well, horseapples,” Night Light said as he continued combing his mane. Then the book came back down and knocked him on the head. Velvet couldn't help but giggle while Night massaged his head with a hoof. “I was starting to think I'd won this time.”

“You almost did. The hotel uses one of those newfangled LCD TVs here. No phosphor screen to cannibalize, and a lot more prone to breaking when taken apart by magic. But I always find a way. Had to conjure up a lot more aetheric solder than I thought I needed, though.”

Night let out an annoyed huff. “I still don't see why you can't just cast a spell into the mirror like unicorns did a century ago.”

“Where's the fun in that?” Velvet said, rolling her eyes. Then she winked at Night, brushing her dusty mane back with her magic. “Besides, my way allows for longer range. Aren't you glad to see me?”

Night put the comb away and faced Velvet, chuckling to her. “Of course I am, honey. Though I seriously wish you wouldn't strain your insurance policies with your…tinkering.”

Velvet glanced at a portion of the LCD screen beside her and pushed it out of Night's view. “You know me so well.”

“Of course. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said ‘Yes.’”

“The longer we wait, the more satisfying it will be,” Velvet cooed. “And you've got a month left before the big day.”

Night blushed and chuckled in response, then cleared his throat. “So, how's Vanhoover?”

“Oh, the usual.” Velvet levitated the papers on top of the table and dumped them into the saddlebag. “Gave a lecture on the history of technology in Equestria to a bunch of college foals. Then another article for Scientific Equestrian talking about how we're getting the younger generation interested in science and all that other crap. I swear, that's all the magazine sees in me. Can't even find a—”

Two thumps interrupted Velvet, causing her to fold her ears and crease her lips.

“What's that?” Night's eyebrows furrowed in concern.

“Just some newlyweds having some spicy time. They've been like that for the past five minutes.” Velvet strapped the saddlebag onto her barrel, sucking in her love handles. The straps dug into Velvet's pudge as she grunted and wheezed.

Night smiled. “One too many éclairs?”

“You know you like it!” Velvet took a break from her grumbling to show off her jiggling pudge, causing Night Light to stifle a laugh.

“Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, that's all I am to the magazine—a loudspeaker for their platitudes.”

The buckles on the saddlebags clicked, and Velvet breathed out.

“Sounds like you're in a rut.”

“No shit. Discovery of the century right there. ‘Canterlot Astronomer Wins the Dual Nature Prize in Deduction!'” Velvet teased. “Maybe I should write an article on that.”

Another thud sounding from the ceiling as if to punctuate Velvet's sentence. Meanwhile, Night snickered, then put a hoof to his chin.

“And what are you going to do about it?”

“About the noise?” Velvet gave him a lecherous grin.

“No no no no! About your…thing…with Scientific Equestrian!”

“Oh, I dunno,” Velvet said, cracking her back as her voice adopted a slight guttural tone. “Wait for something to hit me, I guess.”

“Well, don't let it get to you, okay? If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you.”

Velvet's face reddened, and a warm smile creased on her mouth. “Aw, Nighty, there you are again. Don't get all mushy like that!”

“Admit it! You like it when I do that,” Night teased.

“Only when you do it.” Velvet glanced aside at a clock on a wall, then turned back to Night. “Hey, uh, Nachtlicht, I gotta go. The train leaves in twenty minutes.”

“Sure thing, I'll see you at the altar,” Night said. “You take care now! Oh, and one more thing…”

“Yes, honey?”

“Don't call me Nachtlicht. I hate that name.”

“Why do you think I keep using it?”

Night smirked. “Oh, so that's how you want to play, huh? How about I call you—"

Velvet yanked one of the wires from the mounts of the mirror with her magic. White noise filled the room before Night's image disappeared in a flash of white.

“Oops.” Velvet grinned.

She stood on the floor and looked over the room once again, noting the clutter on the floor and the cannibalized TV. It shouldn't take long to hide. She just had to remember how she disassembled this thing.

The circuit board sparked, eliciting a sharp squeak from Velvet. Smoke began to float from the circuit board to the ceiling as Velvet groaned. Her eyes wandered to the wall clock near the window.

11:20 am. Ten minutes to check-out time.

“Buck it to the flaming sun!”


Saddlebags in tow, Velvet walked down the hall of the hotel in brisk steps. She kept her head up and her eyes forward, her heart threatening to escape her chest.

Don't look back. Just keep trotting

She had spent the last eight minutes trying to cover her tracks: a plastic bag to mask the room's smoke detector, a small cooling spell to extinguish the circuit board, some epoxy on the screen assembly, and electrical tape on the wires she'd cut. Every bit of solder had been tossed off the balcony window; she couldn't risk the staff discovering hot metal granules in the trash can and tracing them back to her.

It was a small wonder she hadn't set her room on fire.

Da-thump. Da-thump. Da-thump.

“Damn, they're still at it?!” Velvet grumbled.

The elevators were now in sight. Velvet headed for the one nearest to the hall, pressed the down button, and stood back.

Da-thump. Da-thump. Da-thump.

This time, Velvet perked her ears up. Something was different about the sounds coming from the ceiling.

Da-THUMP. Da-THUMP. Da-THUMP.

The sounds were getting close. Velvet looked up at the ceiling, watching the dust fall as the lightbulbs shook in their sockets.

As Velvet traced the thumps with some difficulty, her head turned until she realized that she was no longer looking up, but sideways.

“What the—”

Velvet's world turned upside down.

The carpet grazed Velvet's cheek. Her vision blurred; her hearing muted. Something wide and hard had fallen onto her chest, knocking the wind out of her. As she tried to shake off her delirium, a dark blur crossed her vision.

Velvet shook her head, her ears ringing as her pupils dilated painfully. A shadowy figure slowly came into focus before her, the pony's entire body concealed by a dark cloak. The figure sprang up, darting around left and right as if in desperate search of something. Squinting hard, she tried to get a look at the pony's face, but all she could make out were the pony's rose-colored eyes.

As Velvet shifted, something solid bumped into her hooves. They picked up the thick, hard object and brought it up to view.

A notebook of sorts.

“Hey! Hey! You—”

In a single fluid motion, the cloaked pony sailed through the window, shattering it.

“—dropped...this…”

The ding of a bell told Velvet that her elevator had arrived, but it fell on deaf ears. She gaped at the broken window, a loose shard of glass falling from the top of the frame to the street below. The wind howled across Velvet's folded ears as her eyes drifted to the notebook, then back to the window, where its owner had just flown behind a skyscraper in the distance.

She'd call hotel staff to report the broken window, but decided she didn't want them discovering what she had done to their TV.

"I guess everypony is having a wild time..."