• Published 20th Jul 2017
  • 731 Views, 16 Comments

Ask Not The Sun - LunarSacrament



Celestia is about to face the most difficult journey she has ever had, and it all starts with a letter.

  • ...
2
 16
 731

Endless

Spike refills her saddle bags with fresh rations and lends her a thick warm cloak, made for travel in the bitter cold.

“Princess I have one more thing for you”, Spike rests a gem at her hooves. Cut into the shape of the sun and gleaming gold. A light flickers inside of it.

She leans in close to it, feeling warmth radiate out from inside. “A sun stone…” It comes out more breath than words. “It's beautiful Spike.”

“It should give you an edge if the Feeders corner you again. I've noticed they're not as rare as they should be, and most of them are unicorns.” His expression is grim, disgusted.

“They come from the Capitol, don't they? From the Darkness.” She mirrors his expression as she places the stone around her neck.

“That is my fear, Princess.”

They both linger near the exit of Spike’s cavern, sorrow etched on their faces. Celestia takes him in, memorizing his features. Her unspoken fear, that this is their last meeting, hangs thick and cloying between them. She refuses to cry, instead lets old happy memories fill her, so she can give him a genuine smile.

“Goodbye Princess..” he doesn't hide his own feelings very well.

“For now Spike, only for now.”


The wind has died, the storm passed on for now. But the snow never really stops this far out. Her precious sun unseen behind thick grey cloud cover. Now that there is a moment of calm Celestia allows herself to think on the odd dangerous beauty of the land around her. The ever falling snow is pristine with a faint glitter, no tracks linger for long. Quickly overtaken by fresh layers of white.

She allows herself to sigh, breath turning into a visible cloud. The crunch of her hooves the only sound for miles, her only company.


Celestia hums quietly to herself as she carefully chews a bar of granola and dried fruit. Checking her compass to ensure she is still going straight to the north, it would be very easy, she thinks, to get turned around. It's very much like flying over the ocean, no landmarks or notable difference in any direction.

The sun stone sitting against her chest keeps her grounded. It's warmth seeping into her cost reminds her that the snow is not all there is in the world.

It would be so easy to forget, to go mad out here. Surely she would not be the first. The Pegasus Feeders attest to it.


White, nothing but white, endless, cold, white. Perhaps she should dye her coat when she returns to Canterlot, lest her own color remind her of the maddening, endless white. But what color? Pink maybe, Luna would be horrified,she huffs out a laugh at the imagined look on her sister's face.


More dried fruit, she misses cake. Sweet, moist, glorious cake. When she is home she will order a three tier cake all for herself, with three different flavors. Yes, perfect. Just let Luna poke fun at the side of her rear, who cares when there's cake!

Celestia wants to go home but...Twilight isn't at home. Twilight will never be home again. Why? Why do this when Twilight will never be home?


Snow, white, but there finally rising in the distance an ancient stone wall. A moment in time, a frozen tomb. The Capitol, at last.

Celestia falls into the snow, frozen tears of sheer joy stick to her muzzle.

“Twilight…” her voice cracks, hoarse from disuse, “I've made it!”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the very short chapter but hey we finally made it to the Unicorns City!
Next chapter should be much longer.