• Published 3rd Jul 2017
  • 636 Views, 1 Comments

The Anniversary - Macmeg13



Based off the Phineas and Ferb episode, "Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together"

  • ...
 1
 636

7

"Who would have thought that a drummer from a rock-'n'-roll band would end up in a place so quiet?" From the books she read, they always mentioned that drummers were wild party animals who couldn't stay quiet. While she believed that everypony had a right to libraries, it was still hard to imagine a wild party animal in a quiet library.

The library itself wasn't that bad of shape. The walls, old and chipping, were colored in a dull beige while the carpet was a dark gray. There were rows of bookshelves filled with neatly filed books. While it was a small library, there were a few people reading books at the wooden tables and filling the rows, most of them being old mares. Twilight was surprised to notice a music room next door of the library, probably for clubs or other activities. It took all of Twilights self control not to delve into the books and begin a new journey of her choice. But she refrained, for she was a mare on a mission and she wasn't about to get side tracked again. Moondancer's call has put them slightly behind schedule but she was determine to regain lost time. As she walked through the library, searching for her drummer, her ears twitched at the small sounds that filled the quiet room, music to her ears really. Every rhythm and every beat that echoed through the room, indicating thee library was alive with life. She could get lost by the sounds alone. One sound in particular stood out, a repetitive sound that she knew well. Following the sound, she soon became faced with one of her favorite types of ponies, the librarian. Twilight paused though, taking in his sight. He did look oddly familiar. Suddenly it clicked.

"Say, could it be?" She levitated the CD, comparing the cover to the stallion behind the desk checking out books, a stamp in his magic. While he still had the same mane and fur color, as well as his signature glasses, that was where the similarities stopped. The mane style changed from its old spikiness, now flat and wavy on his head. And even though he was behind the desk, Twilight could tell that he's put on some weight since his rockin' roll ages. Twilight cautiously approached the sad looking stallion, sharing wary looks with Spike. This was possibly the first time she's ever been nervous to talk with a librarian and Twilight didn't like it one bit. Levitating the CD from her bag, she stood on her hind legs and cleared her throat, drawing the attention of stallion away from his consecutive beats.

"Pardon me. Would your name be Neon Lights, ex-drummer for the band Magic Love?" Twilight asked, giving him a winning smile. The stallion in question raised an eyebrow behind his sunglasses before returning to his stamping.

"That, my friend, was a past life. Why you asking?" he replied, not taking his eyes off his work. Twilight and Spike shared a confused look before Twilight got to the matter on hoof.

"Because they're reforming for one night only. It's a celebration of our parents' anniversary." she explained, giving Neon a pleading looks. Neon Lights however shook his head, still stamping away.

"Well, that sounds charming, kids, but I haven't played drums since the accident." Noticing their confused looks, the stallion elaborated. "Fell asleep in a metronome factory. When I awoke, I had completely lost my sense of rhythm. I've been hanging out here ever since." he finished gesturing to the library, before returning to his work. Twilight hummed in thought, observing the librarian at work. The story he just explained seemed reasonable, but it was obviously all psychological. Like Hoity Toity, the problem seemed only inside their own heads. If Twilight was going to convince him to join, she'd need to solve his doubts about himself. A tinkling sounds snapped her out of her thoughts, noticing that Spike has grabbed a medal tin full of pencils off of the desk. She was about to scold the small drake before pausing. While Twilight had a sense of rhythm, she noticed before that Spikes was much better. It seemed that he was proving that once again as he shook the can to a certain rhythm, joining to Neon's stamping of books. Suddenly an idea struck her. Once again, the library was going to solve her problems. All she had to do is another song and dance number. She nodded her head towards Spike, indicating him to continue what he was doing. Twilight took a small breath as she took in the natural rhythm of the library before leaning up on the desk again, catching the attention of Neon once more who was still keeping his steady rhythm.

♪ So you're saying that you don't have rhythm ♪

♪ But listen what you're doing right there ♪

♪ With that stamp and a book ♪

♪ You've got a real nice hook ♪

♪ Sounds to me like you've got rhythm to spare ♪

Although Neon looked slightly surprised, he sighed dejectedly, not convinced that stamping books is considered rhythm.

♪ I have no idea what you're talking about ♪

♪ I've got as much rhythm as that chair ♪

♪ What happened to me was a tragedy ♪

♪ But I don't have to be a millionaire ♪

He shared her a bittersweet smile, one that didn't match his eyes.

♪ Look, I got a sweet deal going on here ♪

♪ I got all the books that I can read ♪

♪ All these sweet old grannies and this carpet from the 80's ♪

♪ What more could a librarian need? ♪

A couple of old mares from a close table glared the librarian, efficiently shushing him. Neon gave them a sheepish smile before looking down at his work, voice lowered.

♪ Besides, I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ No, I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ Said I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ I ain't got rhythm ♪

Neon stood up and pushed a cart full of books to the bookcases. Twilight persuade, not wanting to give up so quickly. He really started to groove until he was shushed, Spike even started snapping his claws at the steady beat. She couldn't understand why it was hard to believe the he had rhythm.

♪ You're kidding me right, y-you're kidding me ♪

♪ Don't you see what you were doing right then? ♪

♪ That's a wicked groove you were starting to move ♪

♪ Mister, you've got rhythm times ten ♪

Neon sighed once again, getting slightly annoyed of the filly as he continued stacking his books.

♪ I think perhaps that you're not listening ♪

♪ I find it tedious to repeat ♪

♪ It's no big crime, ♪

♪ I just can't keep time ♪

♪ I'm telling you I lost the beat ♪

He finished stacking and returned to his desk to stamp more books, oblivious of the nodding of heads of the bystanders of the library. Twilight did though, another idea springing in her head. Discretely, she whispered something at a random pony who smiled and left the library.

♪ I don't need my face on t-shirts ♪

♪ Or hit a power-chord guitar ♪

♪ They were screaming my name ♪

♪ I guess it's a shame ♪

♪ But I don't need to be a rock star ♪

The doors opened dramatically, causing every ponies head to snap its attention to the drum set from the music room next door that was being pushed into the library. Neon eyes widened, glasses slipping down his muzzle in surprise. Drumsticks in a violet hue appeared in his vision. Neon looked down to see Twilight smiling widely, giving him a pleading look. He was about to refuse but stopped when he realized that the whole library looked at him in the same hopeful look, minus for the old mares who cranky for being disturbed. Cautiously, Neon grabbed the sticks in his own magic and walked up to the drum set, sitting down in front of it. He gently tapped the drum with his sticks, slightly unsure, before muscle memory took over at full force. Neon Lights could only stare in shock as he started playing like a pro.

♪ Besides, I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ No, I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ Said I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ I ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ I ain't got rhythm ♪

Neon couldn't believe it. He was actually doing it, and he was awesome too! His shocked expression turned to excitement as he put his whole body into the drumming, flipping his mane and reverting it into it's old spikiness. Noticing this, Twilight grinned, her plan working flawlessly.

"♪ Sounds like rhythm to me ♪" she sang, causing the stallion to chuckle.

♪ No, I ain't got rhythm ♪

"♪ Seems like they all agree ♪ "she gestured to the library, who were nodding their heads to the beat, stomping their hooves or even started dancing. This result excited Neon Lights even more.

♪ Said I ain't got rhythm ♪

"♪ But you're laying down some funky syncopation! ♪ "Twilight nodded her head vigorously, resisting the urge to dance.

♪ I ain't got rhythm ♪

" ♪ But you got that beat ♪ "Twilight assured.

♪ No, I ain't got rhythm ♪

"♪ Look at them, they're stomping their hooves ♪ "Twilight pointed to the stomping hooves.

♪ Said I ain't got rhythm ♪

Twilight hopped on top of a table, can't help stopping the shaking of her rump, Spike shaking his own as he bobbed his head excitedly.

♪ It's time for you to rock a brand new generation ♪

"♪ Brand new generation ♪ " the library echoed.

"♪ Gonna rock a brand new generation ♪ "Twilight and Neon both repeated, sharing large grins. Looking for a grand finally, Neon drummed his heart out before finishing with a bang.

"♪ Because I ain't got rhythm! ♪ "When finished, Neon was panting from exhaustion, yet at the same time felt the most alive then he's ever felt. A groan pierced the silence as everypony looked to see the two old mares, still sitting at the table and glaring at the drummer.

"Ugh! Would you just go join the band?" she complained, her friend nodding in agreement before both of them buried their noses in their books with a huff.

Neon paused, almost forgetting about the band. He looked over at the small filly and her dragon, who were giving him pleading looks. With a large grin he smiled and nodded his head, causing him them to cheer. The drum set shifted, seeing glow in a ruby red hue. He turned to see The music teacher next door, looking very unhappy about his drums being moved. As he was being rolled away, Neon Lights couldn't help one last big finish as her started drumming. Seeing it as an encore, the citizens in the library started singing once again.

♪ Ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ Ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ Ain't got rhythm ♪

♪ Ain't got rhythm ♪

When he was almost out of the room, he beat the drums widely, finishing the song with strong beats.

♪ Hey, I do have rhythm! ♪

The library doors closed shut and the ponies returned to their respected places and books. Twilight jumped off the table and was about to rush off to give Neon Lights her address when somepony cleared their throats. She turned to see the strangers who helped her by pushing the drum set into the library. Grinning sheepishly, she levitated her pocket change and gave it to the helpful pony.

"Thank you!" Twilight said hurriedly before turning around and rushing off to find Neon Lights.

Author's Note:

#3 lock and loaded! Time for the show!