• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 934 Views, 13 Comments

Adopting / Adapting - ThePizzaDeliveryPony



After a run in with the law, a young filly moves to Ponyville. Who does she move in with though?

  • ...
1
 13
 934

Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Updated 7/30/2012

Waking up in a poorly lit, dusty living room, in an abandoned house; this was normal, everyday life, for Summer Rain.

Abandoned in this house around the age of five, she grew up on her own; struggling to find food, and to stay warm during the winter. When she was younger, life was not great, but she had parents who took care of her needs. Then they left the house without a word one night, and then never returned.

This was her home now; the only thing that separated her from the animals in the ally. Her parents had gone and she had it all to herself. She had the whole street to herself; everypony left the area for one reason or another, and now it was empty.

She sat up from her sleeping position on the dirty couch and looked around. Everything was as she remembered when she fell asleep, but what would change… it’s not like anypony else lived here.

Getting up, the dark grey Pegasus, with deep blue mane and tail, looked out the window next to the couch. On really good days, a pony could almost see the highest tower of the palace over the roof tops through this window… but this wasn’t a good day; it was a grey cloudy day, giving the impression rain was approaching.

When she turned ten, the young filly had been alone for five years. She had braved the storms, and it was shocking, even to her, that she had made it five years without assistance from anypony. Learning how to fly was something she mastered on her own. It had been a long process, but a few bruises later she was flying like a weather pony.

It was her dream to be a weather pony. They looked so cool, and seemed to be having fun while doing their work.

Work was something she needed. She had never been able to work because of her age, but she wanted to. Work would make her life easier; she had to steal to eat because she couldn’t work. The guilt, the worry over getting caught; they never won over the intense pain she would get from not eating.

That intense pain was on its way now, unless she was able to find something to eat.

Turning from the window, she trotted over to the doorway into the kitchen. Stopping mid way, she remembered that she had already eaten what she had stolen last time. With a sigh, she closed her eyes and steeled herself for what was to come.

Moving back through the living room, she grabbed her saddle bags and opened the front door. She trots through and notices again how depressing the weather looks today.

Closing it behind her, and not bothering to lock it, she took off flapping her wings as hard and as fast as she could. Gaining and losing altitude, in a constant battle with gravity, the filly flew in the direction of the market.

She had never flown in anything other than clear skies, so she was pleasantly surprised when she actually enjoyed flying through skies as dark grey as this.

For the first time in her life, she touched a cloud. The clouds shifted around her when she pressed on them. She was able to sense the payload of water that they held inside, yet she was unable to touch the water. She thought it would be cold in these clouds, and it might have been for somepony else, but she felt comfortable. She liked it here.

The sound of thunder rolled in the distance… Suddenly, she decided the clouds were not safe to be very close to.

Floating back down toward the ground below, she shortly picked out the market and began her flight towards it. Along her rout she saw several ponies heading for shelter, and began to wonder if she should be doing the same.

Moving toward the market, it began to pour, and most ponies were running out of the market place as she arrived. A few ponies ran past as she landed, and she took a few apples out of their bags as they did so.

Placing the pilfered goods into her own bag, she turned to one of the vendors, and trotted over to him. He was already packing all his goods up, as most the other clerks were, and stealing something now would be near impossible.

With a sigh, she turned and trotted away from the vendor. Wandering the streets, she took some more apples from a few of the crazed ponies.

After a few minutes, she decided she had gathered enough. Flapping her wings, she once again took off, heading for home. She did not make it far, however. With the wind picking up, and the extra weight of apples, she wasn’t able to move very well in the air.

Finding herself on the ground…hard… she decided that flight was not the best option at the moment.

So, the rain pouring down on her head, she decided that she should move down one of the alleys and find some shelter until the storm passed.

_-_-_

Finding shelter had been easy. Finding shelter alone… was a bit more difficult.

Summer had arrived to an abandoned store in one of Canterlot’s back alleys. She went in, and finding it empty, went about trying to find useful items to help herself along in her life of abandonment.

While in the back room, she heard some commotion and talking in the front of the store. Peaking around a corner, she saw two earth pony stallions. One stallion, the angry one, was light grey with a dull black mane and tail. His cutie mark was a bag of bits with sword stuck through it. He looked like an average pony. The other stallion, who was getting yelled at, was dark green with fiery red hair. His cutie mark was a question mark, which was a little strange.

“What did I tell you!? You have to keep the job a secret!” yelled the angry stallion.

In a deep, unintelligent sounding voice, the cowering green pony tries to respond, “But boss, I thought you said –”

“I don’t give a damn about what you thought I said! I told you never to talk to any pony about the vault!” The angry pony was now screaming, as the other pony seemed to shrink to half his normal size. “Luckily I took care of the problem before it became more of an issue. But, if you screw up again like that and I’ll have your head!”

Still shrinking from the other pony’s yelling, the green pony could not respond to the threat. Summer almost felt bad for the scared pony, but she was too busy being entertained to want to help the poor stallion.

Changing from one subject to another, the grey pony forgets about the dispute and begins talking to himself. “This plan is going to make me rich. If I can get somepony fool enough to steal from the Princesses I will be golden… literally.” No longer being yelled at, the green pony stands back up, as if he had forgotten the ordeal he had just gone through.

“But boss, that’s what I was tryin’ ta do. Howz we gona get a pony who would wana risk dare life.” His way of talking thoroughly entertained the filly, however the other pony was quick to respond to the green ones stupidity.

“Well, we don’t put up signs, you idiot! You could have gotten us arrested if I hadn’t caught that colt you paid before he started hanging them.” Beginning to remember why he was angry in the first place, the grey pony resumes yelling at the other. “Honestly I would love to send you in there, but you would never remember your way back out! I still wonder why I even listened to your father and hired you; you’re USELESS!”

“Whut signs?” Both the filly in the back room, and the grey stallion outside, facehoofed.

Believing it is time to leave these two to discuss their business in private, and not really wanting to see the outcome of the argument, the filly turns where she stands and heads into the back room once more. Attempting to find a door that doesn’t involve passing the two stallions in the front, she moves to the rear of the room and began searching. Finally spotting a door, she discovers she would have to move a metal shelf filled with goods for the shop that used to exist in this building, out of the way to get through the door.

Gently shifting things around, moving random items off the shelf and placing them around the room, she began the process of escaping the building.

While in the process of moving a strange lamp from one shelf to another, one of her bags gets caught on the shelf. When she tries to move next she finds the resistance posed by the shelf quite easy to overpower, which in turn sends the shelf toppling to the ground in a fashion not as gentle as she would have preferred.

Not wanting to stick around and wait for the two stallions in the front of the store to find the source of the crash, she moves for the door. Turning the knob and pushing, she finds that the door is blocked on the other side like it was on the side she was occupying.

Pushing as hard as she could, she began making progress, and with the addition of her wings, the door slid open a few inches; however, it was still not enough space for her to fit through.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE,” screamed a familiar voice from behind her.

Her heart sank. She was panicking. Pushing on the door harder, it seemed to have gotten stuck and would not budge an inch from where it rested now. Turning around to face the stallions behind her, she found the two already halfway across the room.

She tried to move her legs… her wings… she was scared stiff. She couldn’t move, so within a few seconds she was face to face with the stallions she was watching earlier.

“Who are you!?” She couldn’t speak, even if she wanted to

It had been entertaining to watch the stallion yell at the other, but when she was the one getting yelled at, she wasn’t as entertained. Terrified she stood stiff, heart in her throat, and unable to breath as the fear overwhelmed her.

What will they do to me? Will they hurt me? No one will notice if I’m gone! They would never be caught! Wh– why can’t I move?!

All she manages to do is shiver in terror while standing in front of the other ponies, and when the grey stallion tells the other to “GRAB HER!” she panics.

Involuntarily, her wings spread with the bottoms facing forward. Suddenly the feathers began to glow a light blue, as the green stallion was enveloped in a magical aura the same color as the bottom of her wings.

He floated up into the air, and suddenly he fell asleep.

As abruptly as the light and aura both appeared, they vanished. The stallion dropped to the floor, and did not get back up, though snoring could be heard coming from the body, signaling that he remained alive.

The grey stallion, not knowing what had just occurred could only look between the two ponies in wonder, similar to how summer kept looking at the bottom of her wings, then back to the green pony. Before Summer could take the chance to escape however, the grey pony had regained his senses and knocked summer over the head with that strange lamp that got her caught in the first place.

_-_-_

Summer woke up; she was on a floor, and it was clean. She new already she was not in her house, and she was already aware that somepony was near her.

She didn’t open her eyes, but could hear the breathing of another pony, slow and steady, as if they were asleep. Waiting a few minutes she came to the realization that the other pony was indeed, asleep.

Cracking her eyes, she can see she is in a bedroom, but not on the bed. Her first thought is for her body. Her head hurt, but everything else was fine.

She sat up and looked at the pony on the bed. It was the stallion from before; the one she had put to sleep with… ‘What was that?’ she thought, once again looking at her wings. She still noticed no change.

Looking around the room, there was a window at one end of the room. She could see it was night out with Luna’s moon in the sky from where she sat. Getting up and moving closer, she then noticed the chains that held the window locked from the inside; looking out she didn’t recognize the part of town she was in either.

With the possibility of escape out of the question, she sighed and turned to find a door on the opposite side of the room. Moving towards it, and putting her head against it, she could hear murmurs from the other side. Deciding to try the knob, she reached up and turned. She was surprised to find that the door was unlocked, and she pulled it back just a bit to try and peak through.

Suddenly, the sounds of hooves moving across the floor could be heard, and the door was pushed open. Being pushed down onto the floor, she landed on her flank a few feet back from the door.

It was too late to try and imitate the pony on the bed, but she attempted anyway. Closing her eyes and laying down on the floor, she tried to regulate her breathing. ‘Playing dead’ probably wouldn’t work, but she was willing to try anything.

She was roughly grabbed and pulled through the door. She heard it shut behind her, but continued to pretend she was asleep.

Eventually, somepony began to speak. “I think we knocked her out when we opened the door,” said a gruff voice with a country accent, fairly rare in Canterlot.

“Nah, she’s just playin’,” said another voice, this one was deep, and gave the impression that this pony was fairly large.

“STOP pretending to BE ASLEEP,” screamed a familiar voice. Opening her eyes, she looked around. One of the ponies looked familiar, while the other two she had never seen before.

One was a large white earth pony with a purple mane, and a plow as a cutie mark. He was most likely the source of the voice with the accent. He was fairly large, but paled in comparison to the canary yellow earth pony with orange mane and tail, that was the size of both the stallions in the room put together. He was probably the source of the deep voice, and his voice suits him well. His cutie mark was of a hard hat.

Together, the three ponies were terrifying, and it’s no wonder the filly crawled backwards into the door.

The angry pony looked to the others for a moment before turning back to the filly. “We are in need of a small pony to help us in our endeavor, and we believe that you fit the criteria for the job.” When he was calm, you could tell that he was from Canterlot.

Summer just sat there however, still too afraid to speak. It seemed as if she didn’t even hear what he had just said. Trying to not scream was the only thing on her mind at the moment, until the grey pony yelled, “LISTEN TO ME WHEN I SPEAK!”

Facing him and nodding her head, he continued. “I’m Tricky Ricky, these here are my associates, Billy,” the country stallion nodded, “and Caner.” The large yellow pony gave a wicked smile to the filly, making her cringe.

Turning back to Ricky, she looks him in the face. With a squint at the filly he says, “After one introduces their self to you, it is customary to return the gesture.”

The filly gulps and opens her mouth to speak, however she finds her throat dry, making it hard to speak. After swallowing again, she tries to force herself into speaking. “Su- su-… Summer Rain…”

The large yellow pony smiles again at her when she looks to him; however, her attention is brought back to Ricky when he asks, “How did you do that magic before?”

The young filly thinks for a moment. Magic? Did I do magic? But I’m a Pegasus… She looks back to her wings again, but still sees nothing strange.

“I…I don’t know. That was the first time…” looking back up toward Ricky, she is scared by the look on his face.

“You don’t know?! Well I guess we will have to experiment a little!” With that, he looked to his ‘associates’ and they moved forward. Summer was scared again, but this time when she raised her wings, nothing happened. Wondering what could have gone wrong, she looks back to her wings, to see a faint glow, but nothing near what it had been in the abandoned shop.

“Hold on,” says Ricky.

Both the other ponies stop their advance, and turn to him. “She seems to be running low on power,” he says to himself. Then turning to the filly, he commands, “Try flying.”

Summer spread her wings and as commanded tried to fly; however, it was a failed attempt because she quickly sank back down to the ground, confusion blatantly obvious on her face.

“See, it’s just like I thought. Magic is present in every type of pony, and pegasi use it to fly, however this filly can use her’s like a unicorn’s.” with a smile on his face he walks up to the filly, “When you get your flight back, we can send you to the Vault to get the loot for us. You’re small enough to make it there, and you even have magic in case you run into a tight spot!”

“But boss, what if she goes to the Princesses? She knows all our names and it wouldn’t be hard for her to give us up. She doesn’t have a reason to keep us protected,” said Billy in a worried tone.

It takes Ricky a minute before responding. “We can put a lock on her wings that way she can’t fly off until she does the job. We can have ’em enchanted or something to keep her from talking while the lock is on, too.” As all the ponies nodded accepting the plan as the best way to fix the situation, Summer finally realized how bad a situation she was really in.

There was no way out. She was stuck. She had no one on the outside, and no one in this room was her friend. She was stuck doing whatever it is they wanted her to do… something about stealing from the Princesses if she understood correctly. It was going to be a long time until she was free…if she was ever free again.

These depressing thoughts were interrupted by Ricky however with a promise that scared her more than the idea of stealing from the Princesses, “If you do anything we don’t like, we will kill you. You’re disposable, and that’s why we are using you… we could care less about you…”

With that promise, the world caved in. She had not had the most pleasant life, but now it was hell. She was a prisoner, and was going to be used, possibly killed. For a little while, she wasn’t going to leave this building, let alone return home.

The world came crashing…

She cried, as the uncaring, abusive, adult ponies around her gave her disapproving looks…

Life is hell…