• Published 18th Feb 2017
  • 4,822 Views, 96 Comments

When Lightning Strikes - Necrogen Lord



A new student transfers to CHS and falls for Sunset... though there may be more to him than what they see.

  • ...
12
 96
 4,822

Chapter 1

"So, Sunset, ready for the new school year?"

Sunset Shimmer looked to see Pinkie skipping alongside her as they walked to school, the pink-haired girl's hands occupied by a tray of coffee cups for the Rainbooms.

"Yeah, should be a heck of a lot better after everyone's had a chance to cool down from... well, you know," she trailed off, rubbing the back of her neck.

"You mean when those three girls showed up and turned out to be Sirens and we had to go against them at the music festival and almost lost while everyone listening was having their minds collectively controlled?"

"Um... yeah, that," Sunset answered.

"Yeah, that was a time and a half, huh?"

"You could say that."

"At least no one's going to call you out for being a demon since you saved them all from three more!" Pinkie said.

"Let's hope," Sunset murmured.

"Sunset, listen, you're gonna be alright, and from here on out, everything's fine."

"Right, but I'm just worried tha-"

"Sunset, it's fiiiiiiiiiiiiine," Pinkie insisted. "Everything's going to be A-okay!"

\\\\\\//////

"And you're certain that this student won't cause any trouble?" Principal Celestia asked as she sat back down.

Across her desk were files of a new transfer, one named "Trevor Bowick," showing a teenage boy in what looked like a prison outfit, with massive metallic cuffs over his entire forearms. The student's medical papers and transfer documents were piled up out of the way with a piece of red paper sitting in the center of the desk.

Sitting before Celestia's desk was a man with a dark-brown skin tone, running a hand over his bald head. He nodded as Celestia sat down, returning a pen to his blue suit jacket's pocket.

"We're sure of it," he answered in a medium baritone. "He's had no record of violent outbreaks his entire time, and is more reserved than any others from the facility."

"But to be there for so many years," Celestia said, leaning on her chair, "what has Augustine done to this poor child?"

"Gave him shelter, food, a warm cell, something resembling a family in the loosest possible definition, but she kept him safe and taught him restraint. After searching through the private files on her personal device, we found out that he was part of a secondary initiative for the militarization of Conduits. He was part of a group that would have been deployed to contain other Conduits and handle public intervention."

"She wanted him to be an Anti-Conduit?" Celestia asked.

Charles nodded.

"Essentially."

"And what makes you think he'd fit in here?"

Charles pulled out his state-issued smart-phone before scrolling through several pictures. He flipped the screen to Celestia to show images of the school's front destroyed, a student with wings and massive projections of Sirens over the school's property.

"We've seen you handle worse, Celestia. We know that whatever's keeping this place in one piece will either keep him in check or be a good influence on him."

Celestia hummed in thought before sighing.

"Very well. I'll tell my sister and the Custodian to keep an eye on him, just in case."

"Thank you, Celestia."

"And what about Homeland Security and the FBI? Won't they be wondering where one of Augustine's most powerful Conduits went?"

"We've kept them informed and they want to keep a watch on the school for the first six weeks. If there's any sign of trouble, they'll pull us out and wipe the records. There'll be enough black ink to dye every paper in the entire city thrice over if he so much as sneezes in a way they don't like, but they'll give him a chance."

"Very well, then. When does he start?"

"Today, if you'll allow it."

\\\\\\//////

Sunset and Pinkie walked past the Wondercolt statue in front of the school, watching as other students were walking towards the doors. Looking around, Sunset saw that there weren't any stares or glares directed at her, and there wasn't a single thing thrown towards her yet. So far, it's been a good day.

"Sure are a lot of big cars in the parking lot today," Pinkie said.

Sunset turned to see at least eight large vehicles, all painted black with tinted windows. Large men wearing suits of varying dark shades with earpieces were walking about between them, a few pulling out radios and talking into them as they went in and out of the cars.

"You think they're here because of the Siren incident?" Sunset asked.

"If they are, they're a teensy bit late," Pinkie said. "I think it might something to do with all the Conduits popping up."

Sunset nodded, remembering the footage of one from Seattle that was plastered all over the news for months on end. It almost made their struggle against the Sirens look like child's play, but she'd rather face those three down again if given a choice between them and a Conduit.

"You think it's necessary, Pinkie?"

"I'd like to think that it's not, but there are people that are responsible for the D.U.P. being created in the first place, after all. Maybe some are just really grumpy that they can't have a normal life so they don't know what to do. I mean, what if we couldn't turn off our ponying-up? Rainbow Dash wouldn't be able to join any sports team because she'd have wings, and that's SUPER cheating! Or what if Rarity couldn't make any more clothes 'cause they wouldn't fit any of us and so she'd have to make them all weird and no one would buy them!"

"Sometimes I really don't get it. It's a lot like how Earth Ponies reacted to Unicorns back in Equestria, but..."

"A lot more violent?" Pinkie asked in a hushed tone.

"Yeah. I mean, I would have just let them do whatever they're good at with their powers and let it be."

"But someone's going to try something bad with it," Pinkie said solemnly. "I've seen it happen a lot, Sunset. Good people could have something awful happen and they can only lash out."

Sunset shook her head sadly.

"Just like me."

\\\\\\//////

"Sunset Shimmer, please report to the principal's office, Sunset Shimmer, please report to the principal's office," the speakers blared.

"Guess I'll catch up with you later, Pinkie," Sunset said as she departed from their walk.

Sunset turned the nearest corner and followed the hall to Principal Celestia's office. Upon entering, she saw the Principal looking over several documents, a student sitting in front of her desk. From what she could see, he was wearing a black cap over curly blonde hair and had on a black jacket where he hid his hands, bluejeans and grey tennis shoes covering the rest of him. Celestia looked up and smiled.

"Ah, Ms. Shimmer, good to see you."

"Mrs. Celestia, how can I help you?" Sunset said as she walked in.

The boy in the seat turned around, lightning blue eyes striking a line of sight right at Sunset's own. He flinched away from her look, turning to stare at a random corner behind Celestia.

"We have a new student joining CHS today, Mr. Trevor Bowick. He's from far out of town and needs someone to show him around the school."

"Okay, sounds good," Sunset said happily.

A new student meant someone that hasn't heard about the Fall Formal (hopefully) and another chance at making a friend.

"Trevor, Sunset here will show you around the school's facilities and help you find your scheduled classes as well. I hope you treat her with as much respect as she gives, and that you find comfort here at our school."

Trevor nodded swiftly, before standing up. Now able to get a better look at him, Sunset could see that Trevor was about half a foot taller than her, but was very thin, almost frail. He moved the tip of his hat down to cover his eyes from her before grabbing a navy-blue messenger bag that sat by his seat.

"I-I'm ready to go," he whispered.

"Where should we start first, Principal Celestia?"

"Wherever you think would be best, Sunset. Remember, class starts at 10:30 today, so lunch period is moved to 2 o'clock."

"Thank you, Principal Celestia."

With that, the two exited the office and walked into the hall.

"So, welcome to Canterlot High," Sunset greeted. "I'm Sunset Shimmer," she said, holding her hand out to him.

Trevor turned away from her hand, looking down the hall as if to avoid looking at her.

"Thanks, I'll find my own way, now," he said.

Sunset slowly retracted her hand, a little hurt by his action but she quickly deduced that he must be a bit shy.

"It's alright, but I need to show you around first. So, if you'd follow me, I can get you started."

Sunset took a few steps towards the main hall, but stopped when she noticed that he wasn't following. She saw that he was still standing there, unmoved entirely.

"Um... are you coming, or...?"

"You don't want me to follow you, I'll be a burden."

"What?"

"You don't need to make sure I get anywhere. Thanks. I can handle this," he said before walking down the opposite way.

"Whoa whoa whoa, hold on!" Sunset said, rushing over to stop him.

Sunset grabbed his jacket's arm, pulling him back.

"You can't just leave and wander around! There's a system in place here and I have to follow it. Besides, if the teachers see that I'm not helping you, they'll tell Celestia and I'll get in trouble for not doing what I'm supposed to."

"O-oh... I'm sorry," he said before turning towards the main hall. "I'll try not to cause too much trouble."

Sunset smirked as she lead the way.

"Believe me, there's nothing you could do to cause more trouble than we've had at this school just last year."

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this and would like to see more, consider supporting me on Patreon.