• Published 17th Feb 2017
  • 384 Views, 0 Comments

Harbinger - Composer99



Twilight and her friends won their victory over Shadow Grave - but the fruits of victory are not all sweet.

  • ...
 0
 384

Shadows of Twilight

“Hear ye, hear ye! This meeting of the Cutie Mark Crusaders is now adjourned!”

Apple Bloom stepped off the crate.

“Another really short meeting where we don’t figure out how to help other ponies with cutie mark problems. Productive as always,” Sweetie Belle complained.

“Aww, c’mon, Sweetie Belle, you know we’re just goin’ through a dry spell,” Apple Bloom said. “Besides, we had lots of fun before comin’ here!”

“Well, yeah, of course,” Scootaloo said. “But you have to admit it’s not so much fun coming to the clubhouse to talk about helping ponies with cutie mark problems when there’s nopony to help.”

“I guess,” Apple Bloom said. “It’s just… being the Crusaders is important to us – I mean, it’s what we got our own cutie marks for an’ all – an’ it ain’t always goin’ to be fun an’ games.”

“I guess not,” Scootaloo said, unconvinced.

“Maybe we can bring extra some stuff to do here so that the only things happening here at the clubhouse aren’t us getting frustrated because we don’t have any cutie mark problems to solve right now, and Scootaloo hosting Rainbow Dash Fan Club meetings,” Sweetie Belle suggested.

Apple Bloom smiled. “Great idea, Sweetie Belle!” She didn’t want to say it out loud, but over the summer break, they’d all been growing less enthusiastic about meeting at the clubhouse as the dearth of cutie mark problems went on.

“That’s Official Rainbow Dash Fan Club meetings,” Scootaloo muttered with a frown. Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes in reply.

“Anyway,” Scootaloo said, “now that we’re done with our meeting, what do you wanna do now? It’ll be hours before I get called home for supper.”

“Me too,” Apple Bloom said.

“We could go see if Diamond Tiara is busy. Maybe she’ll want to hang out?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Maybe,” Scootaloo said, looking doubtful.

Diamond Tiara had, without question, turned over a new leaf since standing up to her mother over her associating with the Crusaders. It had taken some work, but she was a different, and far better, pony. All the same, while none of the Cutie Mark Crusaders would ever have called themselves poor (and Sweetie Belle in particular was benefiting from Rarity’s business success), Diamond Tiara belonged to a fabulously wealthy family. It didn’t happen every time, but often enough, when they spent time with her and Silver Spoon, the differences in their upbringings made being together awkward.

“Come on, I bet we can convince her to go to Sugarcube Corner so we’re not sitting around in her or Silver Spoon’s giant houses,” Sweetie Belle said.

“I guess,” Apple Bloom replied reluctantly. “Don’t get me wrong, I really do like the new and improved Diamond Tiara, but sometimes it’s hard to bond with somepony when you’ve had such a different life growin’ up.”

“What if we convince her to complain about her mom?” Sweetie Belle said slyly. “And besides, didn’t we end up getting together today because of your big sister?”

“Well, yeah. If she weren’t such a grumpy-pants filin’ taxes, I’d still be helpin’ Granny Smith! I don’t like the way Applejack gets when she’s doin’ our taxes. And don’t get me started on – ” Apple Bloom paused. “Maybe I’ll save it for Sugarcube Corner,” she said, blushing slightly.

There was a knock on the clubhouse door. The Crusaders looked at each other in momentary confusion before Scootaloo, who was closest, stepped over and opened it up.

“Princess Twilight!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“Now, girls, I think we know each other well enough that you don’t need to be so formal,” Twilight said with a smile.

Once the surprise of seeing her passed, the three fillies ran up to Twilight and embraced her.

“What’re you doing here, Twilight?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“I was hoping to speak with you fillies about a couple of things,” replied Twilight.

“What about?” Scootaloo asked.

“I’ve spoken with your parents and Applejack today, and given them some forms to fill out. I’ve been meaning to start research into the magic of your cutie marks, specifically, for some time, but I haven’t had the chance to get started on it until now.”

“Really?” Apple Bloom asked excitedly.

“But only if the three of you really want to participate, of course.”

“Sounds cool!” said Scootaloo.

“I like it,” seconded Sweetie Belle.

“After all the help you’ve given us, Twilight, I’d be happy to!” added Apple Bloom.

“Great! I also wanted to know if you three wanted to start up Twilight Time again. I know it’s been a long time, and now you have your cutie marks you don’t need the help determining your talents, but –” her eyes gleamed “– learning is a lifelong pleasure. If you’re up for it, we could start tomorrow afternoon.”

Yeah!” the three fillies exclaimed.

Twilight smiled down at them. “Fantastic. I’ll see you at the castle about mid-afternoon - say, three o'clock? We can decide then if you want to work on the same things you were doing when we left off last time, or start new projects.”

“Awesome!” said Scootaloo.

“This is going to be great!” added Sweetie Belle.

“You’re the best, Twilight!” said Apple Bloom. “Although - what made you want to start up Twilight Time again? We thought you were too busy.”

“Oh, I guess the stars were right,” Twilight said. “I’m happy to see you all so excited.”

“You bet!” exclaimed Scootaloo.

Please help me.

There was a long, awkward pause.

The Crusaders sat still for a moment, staring at Twilight.

“Uh… what was that, Twilight?” asked Apple Bloom.

“I’m sorry?” Twilight said. Her expression was as pleased as ever.

“It’s just… I could have sworn we heard you ask for help,” elaborated Sweetie Belle.

“I did ask for help, Sweetie Belle,” Twilight said with a chuckle. “Help with research!”

“No, uh.. after that,” Scootaloo said, scratching the back of her head.

“You must be imagining things,” Twilight said. “Now, I have to be going. Spike’s probably missing me, and we have to get at least some paperwork done today. See you tomorrow!”

With that, she turned, trotted down the clubhouse ramp, and took off.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders remained sitting in front of the door, sharing sidelong glances.

“You both heard that, right?” asked Scootaloo.

“I-I think so,” Sweetie Belle said, scratching her own head.


The purple liquid in the cauldron bubbled merrily as it boiled.

Zecora carefully watched the twisted mélange of twigs, grass, and pine needles woven like a loose cocoon around a chicken egg that hung suspended from the ceiling over the cauldron. The cocoon spun gently in the vapour from the cauldron.

After a few minutes, the egg began to tremble violently, despite being far up enough in the air that the heat from the cauldron and its boiling contents could not hope to cook it. The trembling lasted for only a few seconds: the egg burst open with a puff of acrid smoke, and the woven assemblage of plants fell apart. Most of it fell into the cauldron, which hissed and popped. The remnants clung sadly to the wire, looking surprisingly charred.

“Hmmmm,” Zecora vocalised. She looked up at the sound of knocking on the door.

Zecora trotted over and opened it. There was Starlight Glimmer. Zecora smiled and beckoned her inside.

“Starlight Glimmer, I’m glad you’re well!” she exclaimed, going on as she gestured towards the cauldron in the centre of the room and the shriveled wisps of grass hanging on the wire overhead. “I’m sorry to say I have bad news to tell.”

Starlight stepped in. “I’m here like you asked, Zecora. I’m sorry to hear you have bad news.” She surveyed the scene. “Was that a shamble?” she asked, furrowing her brow.

“That was a shamble, yes indeed. I craft them when I feel the need.”

“I wasn’t aware that shambles were any good at divination,” Starlight remarked. “But if you’re using them to any good effect – ”

Zecora interrupted with a smile, saying, “You’re right: the future, they cannot tell; for the here and now, though, they do serve well, almost like a unicorn’s spell.”

“What sort of spell?”

“When exposed to the right brew, a shamble can reveal what’s true. It feels the magic close by, you see, and tells you of its quality.”

“What happened to this one?”

“When exposed to this brew’s ferment, the egg exploded: an ill portent. Sinister magic is close at hand: ‘twas more than the shamble could withstand.”

Zecora closed the door behind Starlight. Starlight couldn’t help but notice that she locked it.

“But this shamble is not the only clue that evil haunts these woods anew. Lately, I have come to see that creatures are fleeing the Everfree.”

“What do you mean?”

“An hour away lies a timberwolf lair: today I found that it was bare. A manticore and cockatrice lived nearby: now, both are gone, and I know not why.”

“Nopony’s reported sightings of anything leaving the bounds of the Everfree,” Starlight said, looking confused. “I’d think it would have come to Twilight’s attention if – ”

“If elsewhere in these woods they fled, it does not bely what I have said,” Zecora countered. “It was ‘round here these beasts did roam, yet now they have all left their home.”

Starlight looked once more at the twisted remains on the wire, and the sizzling twigs and grass floating in the cauldron.

“I’m sure you’re right,” she said. “But why tell me? Why not Twilight?”

“I have only confirmed my suspicions today, but when I went to the castle, she was away.”

“Would you like to come with me back to the castle? Twilight should be home this evening.”

“Perhaps, but even now, nightfall draws near, and it’s no longer safe out at nighttime, I fear.”

“No longer… safe?” Starlight drew into herself and looked around nervously.

Zecora smiled comfortingly. “I mean in these woods, and not Ponyville. Within the town’s limits, it should be safe, still.”

“Well, if you think there’s something especially dangerous in the woods,” Starlight said, “I’ll tell Twilight straight away. I guess I should get going. Will you be okay out here?”

Zecora smiled. “There is no need for any alarm: within my home, I will come to no harm.”

“If you’re sure,” Starlight said with a smile of her own. “I’ll come by tomorrow and let you know what Twilight plans to do to investigate.”

Zecora unlatched the door, and opened it. She and Starlight waved at each other as Starlight stepped out.

With Zecora’s warning of danger rattling through her mind, as soon as she was out of sight of the cottage, Starlight picked up the pace and cantered all the way back into town.


Spike was adding herbs to a mixing bowl when he heard Twilight’s voice calling from the halls.

“Spike! Spiiiiiike! I’m home!”

“Kitchen!” he shouted in reply, starting to stir the bowl’s contents.

It wasn’t long before Twilight showed up. She paused in the entrance, raising her head and inhaling deeply through her nose.

“Mmm-mmm, Spike, that smells good! What’s in the oven?”

“Lasagna! Remember that recipe Sunset Shimmer sent you? I’m finally trying it out. This,” he said proudly, pointing at the bowl, “is the garnish that goes on top. I put it on, then five minutes more in the oven, and it’s all done!”

“If it tastes as good as it smells, I’m sure it’ll be wonderful,” Twilight said. “How much longer will it be?”

“That’s the annoying thing about lasagna: it takes a lot of time to make. It’s fifteen minutes longer ‘till it’s ready for the garnish.”

“Perfect!” Twilight said. “While you’re waiting, do you mind helping me with something? It should only be about ten minutes. Hop on!” she said, floating Spike onto her back.

“Uh, help with what?”

“My portable telescope. It needs some cleaning and adjusting, and I don’t remember where we put it. I think it was in the closet in the study? Anyway, I need your help looking for it.”

“Your portable telescope? The one you got from your mom and dad for Hearth’s Warming?”

“That’s the one!”

“What do you want it for?”

“For observing the conjunction, remember? It’s the day after tomorrow.”

Spike scratched his head, confused, as they entered Twilight’s study. Twilight’s horn glowed, and several sconces in the wall lit up. “Weren’t you planning on going to the observatory in Canterlot?”

“I was, but I’ve thought of a better place to go watch it all happen.”

“A… better place?”

Twilight opened the door to the closet. “You bet!” she said happily.

They rummaged through the dim closet for a while until Spike found the telescope, still in its box.

“Fantastic!” Twilight said, reaching for the box with her magic. She ruffled her wings with excitement.

“I don’t get it, Twilight.” Spike said, turning to face her. “Where’s a better spot for stargazing than the Ca-eeeyaaagggh!” He recoiled, putting his arms up as if to shield himself.

In the half-light in the closet, illuminated by the glow of Twilight’s magic, her excited smile seemed threatening instead, her bared teeth seemingly fang-like. The shadowy apparition cast by her horn light stretched across the opposite wall of the closet. Her partly-unfurled wings appeared on the wall as fierce claws, and the shadows of her ears, tail, and the end of her mane looked like twisting tentacles.

Twilight moved her head, looking concerned, and suddenly, her shadow was her own.

“Is something wrong, Spike?”

Spike blinked.

“I just… thought I saw…”

“Saw what?”

Spike stared at the wall behind Twilight for a few seconds longer. He lowered his arms.

“Nothing. Must have been a trick of the light.”

“Hmm,” Twilight said. “Well, thanks for your help, Spike! I guess we should get back down to the kitchen. I’m really looking forward to that lasagna.” She trotted off after laying the telescope on her desk.

Spike stepped out of the closet. He scratched his head, looking back into the closet before looking at the door out into the hall.

On his way out, he paused upon noticing something amiss: several letters on Twilight’s desk were unopened.

“Huh,” he said, narrowing his eyes at the sight.

“Better get down here before your lasagna burns!” Twilight’s voice floated from down the hall.

Spike took one last look at the desk, then hustled out the door.

Author's Note:

The name and use of the shamble device employed by Zecora is drawn from (and inspired by) the witches of the Discworld.