• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 463 Views, 17 Comments

The Misadventures of Slendermare - Slendermare



Follow along with your favorite Eldritch Abomination is this Ask Story.

  • ...
2
 17
 463

New Perspective

I looked down at my paper, and then stand. I read it and concentrated, and I'm soon enveloped in magic, and begin to float off of the ground. Perhaps this time it will work- the moment the idea crosses my mind however, the aura vanishes and I fall onto my flank. Another failure. I angrily rip the page in half, frustrated. What was I missing? As I shoved the useless shreds into my bag to be recycled, I noticed another box nearby. They were getting bothersome, but as there was currently no solution I approached it for a better look. As I approached, words soon formed onto the white box.

*Gives you a book on alicorn spells* This may help. *Hands you a basket of apples*

Suddenly, a large book fell from the sky, and I had to leap backwards to avoid it. With it came a basket of the ripest apples I've seen in awhile. The box vanished, and I inspected the basket as well as the book. The basket itself was nothing special, just wicker. The apples also had no interesting traits to them, beside the fact that they were apples, superior to all fruit. I opened the cover to the book, and if I had eyes they would have widened at the sight, as this was a book straight from Celestia and Luna's private library. It was a deep blue, with the cutie mark's of both sisters branded on the front in gold. I hurriedly scooped up the book and basket with my tendrils and galloped home as fast as I could.

"Slendy? Is something wrong?" my sister inquired, something sounding like worry in her voice. "No no, nothing is wrong. In fact, everything is wonderful!" I opened the book and I heard a small gasp from my sister.

"Is that from the Royal Sisters' Library?" she said breathlessly, leaning forward for a closer look. She ran a hoof over the cover, in awe.
"Will it help you break the spell?" She asked hopefully. Just as I was about to answer, another box appeared directly above us. We both stood and stepped back to read it.

What do you guys do for fun?

Dementia smiled softly. "Well, my sister and I both enjoy reading, but books aren't exactly readily available here. Sometimes we'll write stories and have the other read them. Personally, I enjoy drawing and Slendy hangs them up outside."

"I practice my magic when I'm not chasing others out of the forest for trying to steal the drawings Dementia gives me. I also enjoy playing cards, although I'm not very good." I answer, already back to reading the book. In all my years, this was the first time I had held a book from the Princess' library. I skimmed the first the few pages, enraptured by principles I had never even heard of.

Dementia, this one's for you; Why do you want to leave the forest? You've been there for awhile, and surely civilization may be afraid of you.

I glanced at the box, figuring that she could handle it. I returned to reading, and after a minute she spoke.
"It isn't about the others, it's about me. I know it's a childish dream, but I have some sliver of hope that maybe ponies have changed, that they may be more tolerant..

"And the house here in the forest is nice, really. Slendy did a good job, but I get lonely out here, and I just feel like I'm missing something. We've been here since I was a young filly, only about 7, and it's been almost 14 years. A lot can change in that much time, and I just want to see what I've missed." She looked down to the ground and started making a noise that sounded like a cross between coughing and gasping, and it took me a moment to realize she was crying.

I got up from the book and awkwardly wrapped her in a hug, gently patting her head. "Um, there there, don't cry, please." I said, trying to comfort her. I felt I was failing, before she started laughing and crying at once. I stepped away, startled. "Dementia, you're confusing me. Are you sad, or happy? Or-" I was cut off as she hugged me and i jumped slightly.

"You're so weird Slendy, but thank you. I know how confusing ponies and emotions can be for you, and that's probably why you've been more comfortable in the forest than me." she said with a half smile. "Well, I promise to get you out of this forest so you can socialize enough for the both of us." I said, wishing I could smile. Dementia looked at me quizzically.

"Did you.. Was that a joke Slendy?" She grinned and I felt a faint blush on my face. "I have read that humor often cheers ponies and other creatures up. Did I.. do it correctly?" I asked, embarrassed about the fact that my joke wasn't obvious enough. She laughed, just as another box appeared.

Slendermare, instead of trying to break the spell, have you tried altering it or moving it to something else, like an animal or tree

I shot up and flipped through the book frantically. "By Star Swill's beard, that may be it!" I exclaimed, and soon found the page. Dementia sat by me as I looked for a spell. Then, on page 428, I found a spell for magic transference.

"Dementia, go find some small woodland creatures! Check by that one mares house, there's bound to be some there." Dementia got up and flew out the door as I continued reading. This spell may just be the way out.

Author's Note:

Credit to DoctorMerlinHolmes for all the asks in this chapter, I just spread them out a bit (With their permission of course)