• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 801 Views, 3 Comments

Happy Years - The Forgotten Siren



the year is coming to an end, and Princess Twilight Sparkle decides to go down memory lane with Spike. They enjoy looking back at all the good and even the bad times.

  • ...
 3
 801

How Time Flies

It was a clear cold December afternoon in Canterlot, thanks to the whether pegasus, who removed all the clouds in the sky for the special day ahead. The streets were filled with busy ponies, who were getting everything ready for the big celebration that was to come that night. Everywhere you’d look had ribbons, streamers, and banners that read ‘HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!” All in bold print.

Yes, twelve months have passed and a new year was about to start. For some ponies this year was the worst year ever and could not end fast enough. This was mostly due to reasons like, the death of loved and even admired ponies, along with the Yak’s peace treaty being shaky to the point of threatening war on several occasions. Plus, the Yak king himself was a loud, rude, terrible and an ignorant leader who wanted to build a wall, with Equestria paying for it. On top of that, the Buffalo in Appleloosa fought hoof and horn to keep pipelines from being built and polluting the water. Luckily Celestia is such a good and noble ruler, she made sure the Buffalo’s land along with everypony else would be safe from all dangers.

However, others wanted a new start on life and work on that weight issue they supposedly said they were ‘gonna’ take care of. However, some just did not care and a new year meant nothing but another day for them. Whatever the reason, tonight was going to be the last day to look at all they did this past year and to start a new beginning.

As the busy ponies were working on the finishing touches, Spike the Dragon walked down the street, with a scroll in claw, and checked off all the required items on the list, that had been finished. “Ok Bon Bon’s sweets and Lyra’s finger sandwiches are ready and complete.” He thought to himself, as he marked off the two boxes with the respective pony’s name on it. As the small dragon walked down the street, he looked up to see Fluttershy and her birds in the window of Rarity’s Canterlot Boutique.

It had been a year and a half since Rarity opened up her ponyville business in the place she had admired so much. Even though the fashion forward pony had a small rocky start, the light grey unicorn managed to make her business number one in over a week, thanks to the help of her business assistant, Sassy Saddles. Spike could not help but be happy and proud of the pony he crushed on since him and Twilight first moved to Ponyville.

Spike walked toward the boutique to check on how Rarity and Fluttershy were coming along. As the dragon entered the shop, his ears twitched as he heard the soothing melody of the birds of paradise singing in perfect harmony. Fluttershy had gotten them, with the aid of Zecora, to perform for the annual New Year’s Celebration. Even though, the yellow pegaus loved the birds very much and loved their songs, she had to return them the next day. Spike had never heard birds singing in perfect harmony ever before in his life and loved hearing them.

As he closed the door, his eyes caught a giant delicious ball of gems in the center of the room. The massive round object had red rubies placed on the top half, with milky quartz gems placed on the bottom and black onyx in the middle. As the dragon drooled and licked his lips with hunger, Rarity came from behind the massive ball, while levitating three of the milky quartz gems with her magic. The unicorn noticed him and smiled “Oh, Spike Darling, what brings you here?” She asked, while placing the final gems on the ball.

The Dragon snapped out of his trance and wiped his mouth of drool, as Fluttershy’s birds had stopped singing and noticed him. “Oh yeah, I wanted to see how far you two were coming along.” He commented. “And by the looks of it.” he licked his lips “its delicious...”

“Spike, before you ask, yes you can eat it when the ball drops tonight.” Rarity stated, as she noticed Spike drooling over her work piece. The mare had been working on the ball all morning, and went over a hundred design choices over the past month. She wanted the giant ball to be perfect and unique. However, planning a New Years ball theme, plus Christmas designs, and gifts to buy all her friends and family, left her drained. It wasn’t until her little sister, Sweetie Belle came up with an idea to base the ball on the latest game that was huge for both fillies and adults.

“Sweet thanks, it looks almost as beautiful and perfect as you.”

“Aww darling thank you, but I need three more rubies to actually be finished.” Rarity chuckled.

“Oh, do you want me to get some for you?” Spike asked with hype in his voice.

“That won’t be necessary darling, I sent Sassy to get me some.”

“Yeah, but my brother went with her...to try and hit on Sassy.” Fluttershy said with annoyance in her voice. He brother Zeipher Breeze came to visit her for the week, to celebrate the New Year. Even though she was proud of her mooch of a brother for finally getting a job, she was still annoyed with how lazy and classless he was. Fluttershy looked back at Rarity.“Hope he doesn’t distract her from getting the rubies.”

Rarity rolled her eyes at the comment. “I’m sure Sassy will get them with no problem, and beside she already back hoofed him once today....”

“You would think ten ‘nos’ and ‘I’m out of your league neckbeard,’ would get him to back off.”

Rarity nodded and looked back at Spike. “Anyway darling, don’t you need to check on the rest of the celebration?” She asked. “Me and Fluttershy are done, and don’t wish to keep you.”

“Oh right, ok see you two later.”Spiked waved at his friends and the giant ball of gems. However, Spike did not know, the giant ball was actually hollow and was held together by magic.



“This party is gonna be awesome, we are not only celebrating a new year, but six years of friendship.” Spike’s expression turned a little sad.

“Gee, was it really that long ago? Rarity is still just as beautiful as before, and yet she has grown so much. She owns three boutiques and I am sure she will have more all over Equestria. Heck, even Yak Yakastan and the Dragon Lands...I think princess Ember would approve of dragon fashion. Hehe, Ember in a dress, that is a funny thought. Also, Fluttershy has changed to. I mean, she is not longer the weak and timid pony she was six years ago, she is more assertive, but still kind and polite. When Rainbow scared her a few weeks ago, she just had a heart attack, I am sure old Flutters would have need a month of therapy.

Spike’s train of thought was halted by smell of food that had come from the food court. The dragon’s mouth started to water again as he looked around the pavilion. There was Saffron and her father’s stand, along with the Cakes and Twist’s little pixie dust stand, plus Gilda’s Scone stand. The Griffin had come to ponyville, to celebrate the New Year with Rainbow and Pinkie on the account, Griffins don’t celebrate stuff.

“Howdy Spike.” Came a voice from behind him. He turned to see Applejack with her stand of traditional Sweet Apple Acers bake goods and an Apple Cider Stand, with Big Mac running it by her.

“Oh hi Applejack, hi Big Mac, you both ready for the big night?”

“Eyup” went Big Mac as he sat back in his chair.

“Ah sure am, would ya like ta try ah sample?” She offered with a warm smile.

Spike licked his lips with a smile “sure.”

Applejack chuckled and gave him a apple fritter. Spike grabbed the treat from her hoof and took one bite before, being sent to a climax of flavor. The fritter was just the right amount of sweet, plus much more. He could not put his finger on it though. Spike looked at AJ with a confused look. “This is great.. But it taste far different from your other fritters you made.”

Applejack chuckled at the compliment. “Thats cause its my family’s ‘Happy New Year fritter.’

“Wow, its fantastic, what you put in it?”

“Shoot, that is a secret, but you can say we put love in it though.”

“Ah, well I can I get some cider to wash it down please?”

Big Mac nodded and gave the little dragon some cider on the house. Spike thanked the big red stallion and took a sip, only to be brought back into a world of heavenly taste. “Wow this is really good to. Let me guess, ‘Apple Family’s New Year Cider?’”

“Eyup” Big Mac said with a grin.

“Glad ya like it Sugar Cube. Just hope Rainbow Dash don’t drink none before the party. Don’t wanted her hammered...again.” Applejack said with regret in her voice. “Oh and by the way, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Gabby, and Babs are finished with all the banner makin and helping Pinkie Pie, Rainbow, an Gilda with the rest of the party.”

“Sweet, so I can mark all that off.” Spike replied as he swallowed the fritter and pulled out his quill and scroll from a scale pocket. As he did, he noticed all the boxes had been checked off and smile with pride. “Wow, I’m done with my tasks, guess I can go tell Twilight.”

“Oh, your looking for Twilight Spike?” Came yet another voice from behind him. The dragon turned to See Starlight Glimmer walking up to him with a smile on her face.

“Hey Starlight, yeah, you know where she is?” He replied.

“Yeah, the Canterlot library, were you and Twilight used to live at.” She answered. “She was talking about needing some ‘alone time.’”

“Alone time?”

“Yeah, she finished helping Princess Celestia and Princess Luna with royal duties, and wanted to be by herself with some photo album she was carrying.” Starlight stated. “I saw her carrying it, when she walked by my book stand.

“Huh, well I guess I should go check on her then, you know to make sure she is ok?” Spike said. Starlight shook her head, and the Dragon was off to the library, that Twilight and him called home so long ago. As he did, couldn’t help but think to himself.

“Ah..Applejack, You haven’t changed..or have you? I mean, has anypony changed over these six years? Hmm...lets see, Twilight went from not caring about friends to become princess of friendship...She has learn a great deal over the years and learned to stop stressing out about every little detail. Then Rainbow Dash, let’s see, she is not as arrogant as she was the first time we met her, and on top of that, she achieved her dream in becoming a Wonder bolt. Wow...she always wanted to be one ever since we met her. Ok, Rarity..ah my Rarity, she has grown more and more beautiful over the years and her business is booming. Ok we have Fluttershy who is more assertive as I stated before, but she seems fine with being JUST an animal care giver. No dream about making it big or what ever. Same goes for Applejack and Pinkie Pie. Both are glad to be were they are at, granted Pinkie is a bit more mature with being responsible foal sitter and Applejack learned more about what it means to be family.”

Spike’s deep thinking was soon interrupted, once he was at the stairs to the library. The dragon smiled as he remembered, the day him and Twilight left. She was ranting on about Nightmare Moon and how friendship was pointless. He also recalled the time Twilight helped Moon Dancer learn about friendship and that everypony deserves a second chance. He walked the steps all the way to the door and grabbed the knob to open it. As he did, he saw Twilight infront of the huge hour glass in the middle of the room. The dragon sensed something wrong in the atmosphere and closed the door gentle, before slowly walking toward the Alicorn. As he crept, his ear twitched as he heard sniffing. Spike’s ears lowered as he was worried. “Twilight.. Are you ok?”

Twilight’s ears went up and she turned around to see her number one assistant standing meters behind her. Her eyes were red with tears flowing down her cheeks. She let out a week smile and sniffed “Yeah Spike.. Just looking back at the good times.”

Spike came to her side and saw her looking at the photo album that Starlight was talking about. However, the picture he was looking at was a previous picture. The photo was the Sunset festival that Starlight and company had a fun and wonderful time. But this confused Spike, because it was to soon to hold any nostalgia. He looked at Twilight with a confused look. “Sorry Twilight, but isn’t this a bit sudden to hold any value?”


Twilight smiled and wiped a tear from her eye. “Spike, I was looking at all the photos, all the way back to when we first got to Ponyville.” She explained as her horn lit up and the pages flipped back. “We had such a wonderful time these six years.” She mentioned looking at how happy Starlight was in the photo. “ Even Starlight has grown much since she was redeemed.

“Yeah, she went from ‘Evil lunatic, all must be equal, because her friend got her cutie mark and she felt left out’, all the way to ‘Saving us from the cockroach queen and turning all the changeling into rainbow color deer.’”

Twilight chuckled a bit at the comment.“Yes Spike, her reason might have been silly, but she is apart of us now and I hope we have many fun adventures with her.” She finished flipping the pages more. “Also we met Thorax and Gabby who ad onto our group of friends. On top of that Flurry Heart.”

“Yeah, even though, I heard some ponies aren’t to keen on the whole ‘alicorn baby thing,’ due to Alicorns are suppose to be ultra rare.

“True Spike, But Alicorns are rare, how many are there compared to other races? Some ponies need to calm down and accept new things in life. It can be good or bad, it just depends on how you look at it.”

As Twilight flipped threw the pages, she stopped as she saw Rainbow with the rest of the WonderBolts in uniform flying through the air. A smile came onto her face. “Spike.. Do you remember when we first got to Ponyville and met Rainbow?”

“Yeah, she crashed into you and gave you a funny mane style haha.” Spike chuckled, as he reember the incident so long ago.

“Yes.” Twilight chuckled with. “But, she told us her dream.. To become a Wonderbolt and here she is, after six years of hard work, she is one.” Feeling a deep pride inside her for her friend.

Yeah.. she deserved it to, after all the work she did.”

Twilight nodded and flipped further back. “I remember when she did the sonic rainboom all those years ago. It was so amazing.”

“Yeah, Fluttershy cheered so hard that day.”

As the alicorn turned the page she saw the CMC all with smiles across their little faces and showing off their cutie marks. She let out a sigh a joy “They finally did it... after so many trials and errors. After all the failed attempts, the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally got their cutie marks. No more pointless adventures of trying to find their purpose..they found it at last.

“Yeah, I never seen AJ, Rarity, or even Rainbow cry so hard.. Or leak liquid pride as they put it.

“Yeah, and on top of that, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are no longer bullying them or anypony. They have grown up...” The princess’s eyes started to get misty as she remembered all the times the crusaders would fail, like the talent show, or even the time Applebloom tried to cheat and made a potion to give her a cutie mark only to have it back fire.

Twilight would then turn the page on Cranky Doodle Donkey’s and his wife’s marriage, with everypony in ponyville there, including Steven Magnet. “What a day that was.” She commented as she flipped more.

Spike looked at her with a smile on his face, but felt his eyes get watery. “Hey.. remember when you didn’t want to live in this castle?”

Twilight Nodded. “Yeah... It didn’t fell like home. It was missing all the memories that me and my friends had in the old tree library. Then Tirek Destroyed it and everything was gone.”

“Yeah but, the memories are still there thought right?”

Twilight looked at the dragon with a smile “Right..the memories are not only held in these memory gems that Rarity made, but also, they are forever in my heart, were it will stay until the day I pass from this world.”

Spike nodded in agreed, but scratched his head. “You know, after you all beat Tirek, ya’ll never used that ‘Rainbow of Friendship’ blast ever again.”

“That is true.. It seems the elements of harmony served their final purpose and now it is just the six of us... and like Applejack said before, no matter what, we will always be connected.” Twilight stated with a small tear running down her face. “I still remember trying to figure out what is in that box...”

“Yeah, who would have guessed it was a castle?” Spike said as he sniffed a bit, feeling a little bit more sad.

“Yeah, who would have guessed all it would take was for the six of us to rediscover our elements in order to beat a demon from ancient times.” She tried to say jokingly, but the pain she felt in her heart was still there. All the memories from years ago, all the adventures and the dangers they had faced together. Helping Rainbow study for the big exams, also Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich throwing the biggest and greatest party ever. She remembered the time Applejack and Fluttershy had to agree on, how to take care of the Vampire Fruit bats. All these old feelings came into Twilights heart again and aching at how she missed those days and how much time had gone by. A thought soon crossed her mind as she remembered something. “Oh..also, Spike, do remember..”She flipped the book over and opened it from the back to reveal an light orange girl with red and yellow striped hair. Spike looked in shock.

“Is..is this ok to have?” He asked bewildered.

Twilight nodded. “Yes, Celestia said I could keep a few photos of Sunset and her friends. She and the gang just got from Camp Everfree and talked about fighting some Poison Ivy rip off... She didn’t give me much details, but I am proud to see how far she has come. I last seen her with that universe’s Twilight.” She finished, as she remembered taht weird day.

“Yeah, I still remembered the Sirens, you all battled against.”

Twilight nodded. “Yeah..but I hope she sees them again though...”

“What, but why?” Spike asked confused.

“I.. I want Sunset to help them. I mean, they were from here and now they are there, all alone.”

“Mmm, I guess I see your point.”

Twilight then closed the book to turn it back around and flipped the pages more. She stopped on the page of her and her friends in a group photograph. It was her, when she turned into an alicorn. That day, she was scared, but at the same time proud of what she had become and is proud of who she is now. Twilight remembered coming into ponyville not caring about what a friend is, only to learn how important it is and what it means to be a friend. She felt like she didn’t deserve the title, but learned to take it gracefully and even now, she was delighted to be not only the princess of friendship, but a teacher, just like her mentor, Princess Celestia. Two more tears rolled down her face and hit the desk. “That...that was the last day..I wrote a ‘dear princess Celestia letter...” She choked. After that day, she didn’t have to write any more letters to her once mentor and ideal. She felt the pain in her heart swell up as more tears fell.. “And this was the first day of Rainbow’s wonder bolt training.....” She pointed at another picture. “And the Crystal Empire...when you saved it from Sombra...Also, the day Fluttershy redeemed Discord, the lord of chaos into an ally.” She kept flipping pages with more tears rolling from her face. Spike soon followed suit as he felt the sorrow from the years before. Picture after picture, memory afer memory. Some good, some bad and some sad, but all were cherished. Such as Pictures of Cadence and Shining’s wedding, to when Spike went out to find himself. Twilight had many memories with her friends over the years, and each one felt like a dagger stabbing her in the heart. Not because of sadness, but joy, Twilight was happy to walk down memory lane and see all the wonderful times, like When she found out about ‘Pinkie Sense’ and introducing Zecora to Ponyville. These memories meant the world to her and she had hope to have plenty more with her friends and family. The Alicorn flipped to a picture with golden trims around it and all by itself. This picture was the most important one of all. It was Twilight sitting in the middle of her friends smiling with Applejack on one side of her winking and Fluttershy under her. There was also Rainbow Dash with her front leg propped on Twilight’s head and Pinkie on the other side waving, as Rarity was under her. A smile came across her face as a sing tear landed on the picture Twilight’s face. “Spike...you see this picture?”

Spike looked at it while wiping his eyes from all the tears. “Yeah..”

“This.. This was when I first came to Ponyville, where it all started. The adventures, the laughs, the fights, the sad times..... We faced evil and traveled too many places. We met many ponies, and some of those we call friends. After six long years, the six of us have many sweet and wonderful memories, and more to make.” Her wings came behind Spike and pulled him in for a hug. Spike returned the gesture. The Alicorn looked at him with a smile and one last tear fell off her face and onto his head. “I can’t wait to see what the new year will bring us...”

Author's Note:

The show will end one day
That is was I hear the fans say

It is true, that time will be
but let us remember, you and me

I remember when the show was just seasons one through three
I remember our fandom was small with glee

I remember when Little Dashe made us feel
I remember when adults and males saw the appeal

I remember how Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory I adore
Sadly, the stories now are rehash and a bore.

I remember when the fandom helped those in need
From bullied, to cancer, when they plead

I remember when background ponies were made
But sadly, our fandom has settled and laid

I remember "mysterious Mare to Well"
Is the episode the fandom deems a huge fail

I remember Twilight learning friendship and things
oh how the fandom raged when she got wings

I remember Rainbow dash playing rough
Teaching young girls it ok to ne tough

I remember sweet and kind Fluttershy
Reminds us its ok to be assertive if you try

I remember Rarity's flare
its ok to like mlp if you dare

I remember Pinkie Pie's smile
How joy and happiness can travel miles

I remember hardworking Applejack
How she is tough as a tack.

I remember Equestria girls and Sunset Shimer
oh how the fans slowly started loving both bacon head and Glimmer.

Just remember, even if it may be tragic
Friendship will always be magic.

(happy New Years)

Comments ( 2 )

7845069 thank you...I really worked hard on this and would love if Drwolf or squibbler read it. I mean, to hear wolf talk about this would be awesome

Anyone who thinks Starlights reason was silly, clearly never had any friends to lose to begin with.

Login or register to comment