• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 438 Views, 1 Comments

The Lost Legends of Equestria: The Tale of Winter Frost - Silver Inkwell



Although it is not know to any pony else, Celestia and Luna had a sister-in-law, one that has been forgotten by time and history. But when Twilight Sparkle starts to asks questions, how will (the) Princess Celestia respond?

  • ...
 1
 438

Meeting Winter Frost

Chapter Two: Meeting Winter Frost

Winter always comes, and it brings pain and despair and sorrow and death.

Celestia and Luna learned this after many years with the Frost family.

But sometimes it can also bring joy and laughter with snow too.

Both sides were equally true and neither were completely wrong.

But neither were true or known at the time that they met Winter Frost.

She was a very shy child as she hid behind her parents.

But eventually when her name was called she stepped forward.

“Thank you, King Cosmos, for taking our family in this season,” Frosty said, “Your kindness and generosity can never be repaid and is an example to many. Truly you really are an inspiration to this kingdom and ponies as well too.

“Please, you flatter me too much,” Cosmos said very slightly and warmly, “But please, you can now introduce yourselves to our daughter since they only know your names and royal titles, place, and positions, but not your faces.”

“Very well then, I am Frosty Blaze, King of the North, and this here is my wife Queen Crystal Frost, and this is our only child Winter Frost,” the king said pushing her forward. Celestia and Luna saw that she had the same white icy coat that their mother and father had, but she only had the hair of her mother which flowed down smoothly and softly, and it was not cold and stiff like her fathers, and she had the same silver and blue streaks in her hair like her mother and father. Her eyes were ice blue just like her parents, and her mane was just plain white like her parents. Her hooves were just silver with a slight hint of white fur on the very edge, and she was almost the exact image of her parents. The only difference was that a slight hint of silver was in her hair, hooves, and eyes, but her parents did not have that at all anywhere on them.

“Hello, I’m Winter,” she said very nervously, “It’s nice to meet you two.”

“She’s a bit shy, she hasn’t really met any southern ponies yet,” he said.

“That’s fine,” Cosmos said, “Anyhow you already know my daughters Luna and Celestia, but tell me this, how are things up there in the cold harsh north?”

“Cold, and not very well,” he said, “Ponies think I’m going soft up there.”

“Are you?” King Cosmos said gesturing for him to talk somewhere more private.

“Of course not, I’m just worried about my daughter and best friend, that’s all.”

“Well of course,” he said just outside the private room for Royalty and Nobles.

“Girls, why don’t you talk to Winter Frost while we talk?” Cosmos said.

“I don’t know Cosmos, we like to keep our daughter close to us.”

“Surely you have to give a chance for the girl to grow up and experience life.”

“I will, when she is ready, but I see no harm in them talking,” he said letting his daughter go, “Fine then, you may go talk and play, but do not, I repeat, do not cry, do not whine, do not get in trouble, and do not leave the castle either.”

“As you wish, father,” Winter Frost said bowing her head down in respect.

And with that said King Cosmos and King Frosty went inside to talk then.

“Well hello there, I know you’re shy, but we can talk, right?” Celestia said.

“I don’t really like to talk to other ponies at all, ever” she said very nervously.

“Well we can work with that, what interests you the most?” she said.

“Death, darkness, shadows, the cold, the ice, the north, frozen water, frozen lakes, frozen ponds, really anything that’s cold or dark,” she said, “And also if you can make it very cold or dark that would be great and also the best too.”

“I’ve got this,” Luna said smiling, “Darkness is totally my thing you know.”

“Really?” Winter Frost said with a slight smile on her face, and for a moment Celestia thought that she saw the streaks of silver grow larger and wider on her. “Totally, my name literally means ‘moon’, but come on, I know a great place where we can have fun, but only if you’re into the idea of course.”

“Well what does it entail exactly?” Winter Frost said very curiously.

“Leaving the castle of course,” Luna said with a smile on her face.

“Oh no, I could never do that,” Winter said, “My father told me not to.”

“Do you ever disobey your father?” Celestia said with a heavy deep sigh.

“Don’t you know how to have any fun at all, ever?” Luna said.

“I never disobey my father and I don’t know what fun is,” she said.

“Really Winter Frost? You don’t know what fun is?” Luna said with shock.

“Please, just call me Winter, and yes, I don’t know what this ‘fun’ is.”

“Well then, it’s about time that we taught you it,” Luna said smiling very deviously as she concocted a plan
in her mind and had a very good idea.

And with that said they went off to cause some trouble… within the castle of course due to Winter’s very demanding father and his stupid rules.

Later on they would discover a very special surprise for them.

“Are you sure that this is a good idea? You wouldn’t like my father when he gets angry, it’s not a very nice
sight, and you would be the ones to blame and punish, and I can’t lie to him either, so I can’t stand up for you either.”

“Don’t worry, it’s just a small simple little tiny prank, I’m sure that he won’t overreact that much when we explain it to him,” Luna said, “Besides, just imagine his face when he finds out the salt is sugar and the sugar is salt!”

And with that said they waited while they talked, but it would be a very long time before they were done and in the meantime they played many various random games and asked her questions and found out her favorite color was either blue or silver or gray, and also that she had no friends back home either.

“No friends? But that’s just horrible,” Celestia said very shocked at this.

“It’s true, I never lie, I haven’t ever since I tried to do it once to my father.”

“What happened when you did try exactly?” Luna said curiously.

“Let’s just say that the season that year was a bit colder than most.”

And with that said they went on talking and playing.

But while we wait for dinner and the very classical practical prank and joke, let us now go to what the parents talked about instead, shall we? Good then.

“What is the deal with keeping your daughter close to you?” King Cosmos said

“She has both my powers and her mother’s, and will also one day rule the whole entire kingdom, you do the math, if her heart is broken it could release a monster far worse than even a thousand times of that which could happen to you, your wife, or your daughters, particularly the youngest, I see that her heart will one day be filled with cold pain and sorrow and despair, much of it.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, my daughters would never turn into monsters, sure they may be silly and impractical, but they’re good little nice children.”

“I am never wrong about hearts, you of all ponies should know this after what I told you about your first love, and what happened to her? Oh right, she died.”

“How dare you bring her up again! How dare you bring back those memories!”

“She was not the one for you as I said then, and I was right then just as now and always, the potential pain, sorrow, and despair of others cannot hide from me, and of course wife can control the weather, so just imagine what Winter can do, she could manipulate any pony she wants to with the fear of death and cold, after all, pain is far worse than the death that she can and will bring.”

“How can you think of your own daughter as a potential monster?”

“Because she is, or will be, or she won’t, but whatever will happen I know that I must keep her safe and very close to me if she is not to become a monster.”

“Fine, very well then, but speaking of hearts, how are yours and your wife’s?”

“Very well, they remain cold but not completely frozen and shut off from other ponies, the curse has not struck us, but it can and may strike Winter.”

“You don’t really believe in curses? Do you? Because I really don’t.”

“But I do, and our curse is very real, every century it has the chance and opportunity to strike again, and it has equal chance for both genders.

But we fear for our daughter just as you do, but come, no more of our families, on to policy, how goes it with trade and the economy down here now?”

“And as always and ever I see that you still have a ‘cool’ kingdom,” King Frosty said.

Cosmos groaned at this internal and very old pun, “Are you ever going to stop using that pun? Because guess what, it’s not ‘cool’ to use it anymore.”

“Well then, I hope that you ‘cool off’ when I say that I will never stop using it,” King Frosty said with a smile and then they both laughed out loud.

“Oh, your jokes and puns never get old my friend,” Cosmos said smiling.

“As do yours my friend,” Frosty said as he walked over to the king.

“Very well, we have no less than we need and no more than we could want.”

“That is very good, our kingdom remains safe against the threat we face, the curse, the shadow, the wraith, the hounds, we fight them off and we aren’t growing any stronger or weaker just as they do, so all is quite well indeed.”

“That is very good to hear, but what about matters up there now?”

“Slow and cold as ever, it’s not exactly a summer beach resort now, is it?”

“No, if it were then it would be a place that would attract unwanted attention.”

“Indeed, and that’s just the way that we like to keep it always and forever.”

“Very well then, since all seems to be good between us do you mind if I ask you to stay with us for one season so that our daughters may become friends?”

“I see nothing wrong with this, having a friend will not increase her chance of the curse, only having or finding love will do that, but yes, I do agree to that.”

“Very well then, what would you like to have for dinner then?”

“Our usual, cold fish, so don’t worry, we’ll be just fine now on our own.”

And with that said they left to go have dinner and the children joined them.

“Did you three have fun?” King Cosmos said sitting down at the round table.

“Yes, we did,” Celestia and Luna said sitting down very eagerly ready to start eating and to also see the
result of their practical prank and joke now.

“I learned the meaning of fun, they taught me it, and it was very nice.”

“That’s good, but my dear, whatever is happening to you?” Frosty said.

“What do you mean?” she said very curiously looking at him now.

“Your mane, your hair, it’s a bit more silver now darling,” he said.

“Oh,” she said, “Well I don’t think that’s anything to worry about.”

“No, it’s not, not yet at least,” the king said, “Very well then, let’s eat.”

“Um, sorry, that’s what I say,” Cosmos said, “Let us eat then!”

And with that said the meal was brought out for all of them to enjoy.

Celestia and Luna smiled when they saw King Frosty use the ‘salt’ on his fish, boy would he be in for quite a shock and surprise. He quickly used his powers to toast the fish, “Ah, nothing quite like a ‘cold’ fish for dinner.”

Celestia and Luna stared at each other, that was ‘cold’ to him?

How very odd, strange, unusual, and mysterious they both thought at once.

But they could not dwell on that matter as he bit into the fish and frowned.

“This fish, it tastes sweet, and I caught it myself, so I know it is not the fish, so I must ask this, who would dare try to make this fish sweet?” he said angrily.

“I think that I know who,” Cosmos said looking at the girls very angrily.

“It was them,” Winter Frost said pointing at Celestia and Luna.

“It was, was it?” King Frosty said, “Very well then, I shall be kind just this once, they won’t get to see my
anger today, not yet at least, but they will see my wrath and fury one day, of that I am sure, but now I must
have something else that is suitable enough for me to eat since they have ruined the fish.”

“Actually they ruined the salt, it’s really sugar,” she said as Cosmos spat out his tea which he had put ‘sugar’ into, but now found that it was salty instead.

“That would explain my tea,” he said very angrily looking at them now, “Don’t worry Frosty, this isn’t the first time they have pulled this prank on me or others, but I really do hope that one day it will eventually be the last and final one that they ever pull because of the memory of their parents teaching them what is right and wrong and what is not, but they never seem to listen yet.”

“We’re sorry,” Celestia said, “We won’t do it again while you’re here,” Luna said.

“You better, otherwise I will make sure that your father punishes you properly,” King Frosty said taking a bite of a new unspoiled fish that he had.

And with that said the meal went on with no more pranks or any other kind of disturbance or distraction, but eventually one would come to Winter… and it would not be a good one, for it would destroy her and the kingdom as well…

Author's Note:

Yes, there will be more ice puns, so just chill.

(YEAH!!!)