• Published 13th Jan 2017
  • 393 Views, 3 Comments

The Fall of Nightmare Shadow - Silver Inkwell



Equestria stands at the edge of a cliff/ dagger waiting to fall. The only hope now is to defeat Nightmare Shadow and save their lives from danger and peril.

  • ...
 3
 393

Chess

“Let’s play a game to determine our fate instead, shall we Princess Celestia?”

“What game did you have in mind exactly?” she asked with some confusion.

“A very simple, very old, very traditional, yet still great and grand game, chess.”

“Why would you ever want to play something a simple and complex as chess?”

“I have my reasons, one of them being that it was the one game I enjoyed playing on the moon with Nightmare Moon, and the others will remain secret.”

“Very well then,” Celestia said, “I agree to play this one game with you.”

“No, princess, do not do this, please,” Twilight said pleading for her.

“Twilight, you cannot stop or change what is about to happen just as much as I can, this must happen, and besides, it is her choice and we cannot make that for her or make her change it instead, so let her play if
she wants to, after all, there is nothing that we can do to change anything, it is futile,” Star Swirl said.

“Very good then,” Nightmare Shadow said summoning a simple chessboard with white and black pieces and turning the white side towards her, “You can go first since you are a lady, and I am a stallion of manners and will not be called otherwise, I do still have a name and reputation to uphold even if you think that I do not, and of course because of the colors representing us.”

“I don’t know whether that is very generous or clever of you,” she said moving the Pawn in front of her King two spaces forward, a very basic simple move.

“It is both,” he said moving his King’s Knight to F6, “Just because I may be ‘evil’ according to you doesn’t mean that I can’t have any manners for you or my enemy, I am a very nice, kind, and generous leader and pony when I want to be, but of course should you anger me hen you will find me… unpleasant to deal with, for I am not one to show or give mercy to others at a very light cost.”

“What do you mean by ‘evil’ exactly?” Celestia asked moving Pawn G2 to G3.

“There is no objective ‘good’ or ‘evil’ there is only subjective perspective. For example, you think that you are ‘good’ because you save and protect the lives of other ponies from being hurt and protecting them from danger and peril.

You see me as the term ‘evil’, but I am not for I am trying to free all of your minds from the world view that you knew,” he said moving his Knight B8 to C6.

“You have some very odd and delusional thinking, claiming to be good and a hero, how dare you say that,” Celestia said moving Bishop F1 to H3.

“I only dare say that which I know to be true,” he said moving his King’s Pawn two spaces forward blocking the pathway of Celestia’s pawn to move forward.

“Perhaps that is only what you think,” Celestia said moving Pawn D2 to D3.

“I do not think about things, ideas, or stuff, and I also do not presume them, I know them instead, just as I
know that,” he said moving Pawn B7 to B6.

“Perhaps what you know is wrong then,” she said moving Knight B1 to C3.

“My knowledge is rarely incorrect or wrong,” he said moving Pawn H7 to H5.

“That is perhaps what you only think,” she said moving Knight G1 to F3.

“Do I have to repeat myself once more again?” he said moving Pawn D7 to D6.

“Only if you want to do that, it’s your choice,” she said moving Pawn A2 to A4.

“You know that the one to lose at this game is the usually the one who makes the first mistake in this, right?” he said moving his Rook H8 to H6.

“Oh, I know that, which is why I will win,” she said moving Rook A1 to A3.

“That’s very good then,” he said moving Pawn H5 to H4 putting it at risk.

“Your move does not fool me at all,” she said moving Bishop C1 to G5.

“Clever girl,” he said, “But you’re not as good as me. I spent centuries at this game, do you really honestly think you can beat me?” (Knight C6 to B4.)

“I don’t think that so,” she said, “I know it to be so.” (Bishop G5 to F6.)

“You may have taken my Knight, but I will take your Bishop now to pay the price and debt of the life that
you have taken from me.” (Pawn G7 to F6.)

“Yes, but now you have opened your pathway to your own defeat in the end, and so I must thank you for your silly little mistake.” (Pawn G3 to H4.)

“I doubt that very much, Princess,” he said moving his Pawn A7 to A5.

“Well you better believe it, because it will happen.” (Rook H1 to G1.)

“Perhaps, but maybe not, and now your Bishop will die.” (C8 to H3.)

“And so will yours too,” she said moving her Rook G1 to position G8.

“A worthy sacrifice for a far greater goal in mind.” (Rook H6 to H4.)

“What is your end game exactly?” she asked moving Rook G8 to F8.

“Why it is to win, same as it always has been,” he said. (King E8 to F8.)

“If your goal is to win, why put yourself in check?” (Knight F3 to Rook H4.)

“You’ll see why, eventually, if and when I win this game.” (Pawn C7 to C5.)

“I’m sure I would if I did not have the advantage right now.” (Queen D1 to F3.)

“Perhaps I am only letting you have the advantage right now, have you ever considered that slight thought or possibility?” (Bishop H3 to D7.)

“I have, I consider all of my moves I can make first,” (Knight H4 to F5.)

“So do I, but I also consider my enemy as well too,” he said. (Queen D8 to E8.)

“I consider my enemy as well too, and it seems we are tied.” (Bishop F5 to D6.)

“Tied and matched, yes perhaps, but only one may and will win in the end, and I will not allow you to win against me and my plan. You cannot win against a force that you do not fully know or understand,” he said.
(Queen E8 to E6.)

“Yes, and at the end it will be me that stands victorious.” (Knight D6 to B7.)

“Perhaps, but not without great loss and death on your side.” (Pawn F6 to F5.)

“No war can be won without some loss or pain,” she said. (Pawn E4 to F5.)

“Good, you are learning that which I have taught you.” (Queen E6 to H6.)

“Yes, and I know that in the end I will have to make the greatest sacrifice that there can be, and I know
there is nothing I can do to stop it.” (Pawn F5 to F6.)

“At least now you are ready and willing to make it,” he said. (Queen H6 to C1.)

“Thank you for saying so, my opponent and enemy.” (Queen F3 to D1.)

“Did you know that my goal from the start was to actually take your Queen? Even if I lost I would still have
one last great victory.” (Queen C1 to D1.)

“And now you have your victory, but I will still win,” she said. (King E1 to D1.)

“I know that you’ll win now with the advantage that you have over me. But I am more than willing and ready to face it and accept it too.” (Bishop D7 to G4.)

“How is that so? Aren’t you afraid to lose to me?” he said. (King D1 to D2.)

“Not really, and I’m not afraid of death either, but the real question to ask here is this, are you afraid of death? Or will you accept it?” (Bishop G4 to F3.)

“I actually really don’t know how to answer that question.” (Knight B7 to D6.)

“Of course you don’t, I would be genuinely surprised if you did, for few ponies will accept and be ready for death, and I am one of the few.” (Rook A8 to D8.)

“And can you please tell me why that is exactly so?” (Knight D6 to C4.)

“Because I know the real truth, and you do not know it.” (Bishop F3 to D5.)

“Perhaps you only think that you know the ‘real’ truth.” (Knight C3 to D5.)

“You know I hate it when I have to repeat myself, right?” (Knight B4 to D5.)

“Then perhaps you should stop repeating yourself then.” (Pawn H2 to H4.)

“I wouldn’t have to if you didn’t make me do it Celestia.” (King F8 to G8.)

“I am not making you do anything, you act on your own.” (Pawn H4 to H5.)

“You know, you’re so annoying at certain special times.” (King G8 to H8.)

“Oh Really? I did not know that, thank you for telling me.” (Pawn D3 to D4.)

“You’re welcome, but I am saying that only because you make me want to kill you sometimes, and I know that I can’t, not yet at least.” (Rook D8 to G8.)

“Why are you even still fighting if you know that you will lose in the end? It just doesn’t make any kind of
logical sense for you to continue.” (Pawn D4 to C5.)

“I would never give up a fight or battle without giving it my all and my very best, after all, I’m not one to quit
and give up very easily.” (Pawn B6 to C5.)

“Well then, you’re either very stupid or very crazy to do so.” (Knight C4 to E5.)

“Or perhaps maybe I am just brave instead, have you ever considered that? Or are you just the type of pony that has only one focus and thought and idea in that little tiny head of yours?” he said tauntingly
moving his Pawn C5 to C4.

“I resent being called that, or even being insulted, especially by you, and don’t you know that you should always treat a lady with kindness and respect? Or did you not learn any manners while you were up there on the moon?”

(She moved the Knight E5 to F7 taking a pawn and making it a ‘check’.)

“That is a very smart, wise and clever move that you made.” (King H8 to H7.)

“Thank you for saying that so, but you do realize and know that you’re stuck for now until I move another
piece of mine, right?” she said. (Pawn C2 to C4.)

“Oh, I do, and I can’t wait to see what you will do now.” (Rook G8 to F8.)

“I think you’ll be very interested in what I do to you now.” (Knight F7 to G5.)

“I see that you’ll be going around in ‘check’ circles then.” (King H7 to H8.)

“That depends on what you define as a circle exactly.” (Pawn F6 to F7.)

“Very mart, wise, and clever, forcing me to choose between losing my rook or you gaining a Queen, well done Princess Celestia. It seems like that you are indeed very good at this game as you have claimed,”
(Rook F8 to Pawn F7.)

“And now you’re back in ‘check’ once more again.” (Knight G5 to Rook F7.)

“Not for much longer now if I can help it out anymore,” he said trying to vainly and desperately delay the game and his eventual defeat too. (King H8 to H7.)

“Actually you’ll be really stuck right in there now, hope you like your little trip of lonely isolation, because it won’t be an ounce of fun.” (Rook A3 to G3.)

“I see that you have trapped me into a stalemate, well done. But I still have pieces on the board that I can still yet move you know.” (Knight D5 to F6.)

“This is a pointless effort that will only delay your defeat.” (Rook G3 to H3.)

“The longer that I can stay alive, the better for me.” (Knight F6 to Pawn H5.)

“This is just a sad desperate pathetic attempt at life.” (Rook H3 to Knight H5.)

“At least I am still fighting for something, and even if I fail I still gave it my best. Can you say that about all your quests, duties, and tasks?” (King H7 to G7.)

Celestia was silent, she couldn’t say that about all that she had ever done in life, and it seemed even though he would lose this game, he won the talk.

(And Celestia moved her Knight F7 to E5 without a single word being spoken.)

“That’s exactly what I thought you would say, you’ve failed in some things while I have not every yet failed once,” he said moving his King G7 to F6.

“Just because I may have failed does not mean I did not learn from it, in fact it has made me become stronger and smarter with time.” (Knight E5 to D7.)

“I would expect nothing less from a leader like you,” he said. (King F6 to E7).

“And I would expect that this has some kind of lesson to be learned from this simple yet complicated game that we are playing?” (Knight D7 to Pawn C5.)

“Yes, that is correct, there is one to be learned from this, but if you ever did listen to me, you would already know what it I by now, but if you did not… well let’s just say you won’t like the end of this,” he said moving his King E7 to E6.

“I think I might know what lesson you want me to know.” (Knight C5 to D3.)

“Oh, and what I that exactly? Please do tell me Princess.” (King D6 to C6.)

“I think that you want me to know that a battle or a fight or even war, it does not come without its cost or price to pay in the end.” (Rook H5 to A5.)

“So, you have been listening to me, that is very good then.” (King C6 to B6.)

“I have, but you do notice that you stand alone now in the end? You have no more pieces to help you out or save you from certain doom, just like there will be no pony to help you out or save you in the end.” (Pawn B2 to B4.)

“It does not matter if only I stand alone in the end, for I need no pony else to help me out, I can win or lose this game on my own and in the end, that’s all that really matters now, isn’t it? Victory at any cost or price.” (King B6 to C7.)

“I can clearly see that since you will not give up this battle or fight, for you must be very stupid, stubborn, and crazy to do so.” (Rook A5 to A7, Check.)

“Or perhaps I only appear that way dear Celestia, and do I need to repeat myself once more again? It is growing very tired on me now.” (King C7 to D6.)

“You don’t need to repeat yourself, you just need to be heard.” (Pawn B4 to B5.)

“I know that, and thankfully you’re still listening to me, even if the others will not and stubbornly choose to ignore me at their own peril and risk of their own lives, I thought that they would be smarter than that for sure.” (King D6 to E6.)

“They are smart, which is exactly why they won’t listen to you, both for their own good and for the good of the lives of other ponies too.” (Pawn B5 to B6.)

“Then that is their own choice and fault sadly enough then.” (King E6 to F5.)

“It is their own choice, but it will not be their own fault in the end, it will be mine, I let this was between us come too far now, and now I must pay the price, and the other ponies will suffer because of it.” (Pawn B6
to B7.)

“Well then, I hope that you can learn from your mistake choice and then grow from it, I would be very disappointed if you did not do so.” (King F5 to G4.)

“I will, you can count on that as the day will surely rise.” (Pawn B7 to B8.)

“Very clever metaphor princess, and I see that your pawn is a Queen now, how very metaphorical of what will soon come to pass shortly.” (King G4 to G5.)

“What do you mean by that exactly?” she asked moving Queen B8 to G8.)

“What I mean is that your ‘Queen’ will die, and another will replace her, I don’t know who it will or might be, but Star Swirl, he would probably know, he is after all, very wise, and also a wizard, ask him for the details later when you can, because I will not spoil the ending of this ‘our’ story.” (King G5 to H5.)

“Sometimes you make no sense at all, who is supposed to represent my ‘Queen’ in this game if it is not me?
For surely I would be the ‘Queen’ in this game, right? Or perhaps maybe I am just wrong instead.” (Rook A7 to A5.)

“You’re wrong, you represent the King as do I, but as for your ‘Queen’, well let’s just say that I will reveal her identity after this game is done and over with, after all, I wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise for you, now would I my dear princess? We can’t have any spoilers to ruin our fun.” (King H5 to H6.”

“Fair enough, but what is so important about revealing the metaphorical representations of the pieces after the game is over and finished with?

For surely you have nothing to lose by telling me, right?” (Knight D3 to F4.)

“I have nothing to lose, you’re right, but I have nothing to gain either, so you’ll just have to be patient with me and wait for the answer, but it seems that you will not have to wait for very long since you have checkmated me and won the game, well done Princess, and well played. And for that I shall reveal the identity of your ‘Queen’, the pony that it represents stands with us tonight in the crowd, and you should know her very well Princess, after all, she is your sister, the ‘Queen’ represents Luna, she is going to die tonight if you succeed in defeating me, so I must ask you this, do you really want to take that risk?”

“You lie, there is no way that my sister can die tonight in this war.”

“Well, if you insist, but don’t say that I didn’t try to warn you before this will happen, for nothing that you try to do can save her life from her fate or doom.”

“Perhaps not, but I sure am going to try to do everything in my power to make you pay for what you did to her you son of a bitch,” Celestia said to him.

“Very well then,” he said clearing the game away, “If you wish to fight me in battle then we will do so, but be warned, there is no victory without sacrifice.”

Author's Note:

I actually had to play the game of chess out against myself which took many hours, so this is one of the longest sections.