• Published 21st Nov 2016
  • 2,993 Views, 52 Comments

From Black Skies - The Fanatical Christian



What happens when a human ship is sent to the alien world of Equestria? Friendship or hatred? War or peace? Love or loathing? Follow the crew of the 'Pale Blue Dot as they try to make new allys for the nearly extinct Humanity..

  • ...
16
 52
 2,993

Maybe Icarus was a Bad Idea [Human]

"So long as nuclear weapons continue to exist, so will the temptation to threaten others with overwhelming military force"
-Daisaku Ikeda


Ryan lay on his dirty rucksack in the sorry excuse for a firebase, which in reality was just a sturdy apartment block.
For a war that was going so well things had taken a temporary turn for the worse as the Chinese had sent almost their military to push back the WDF invasion from the north, pushing their forces back but allowing a large assault on the Chinese eastern coast.
As a result he was relocated to the far north.
Ryan shifted around on the rucksack, it was the closest think to a bed he had, the closest thing to home he had.
The first thing he had done when he had gotten to the firebase was find an empty room to rest in.
Now the only thing he wanted to do was just get away from it all, the war, the noise, the shouting, the fire, everything.
His team was dead, his battalion was gone and if the war went on any longer he would be joining them.
He sighed.
Most of the conscripts he went to boot camp with were his age, many he had went to school with, a few of them were good friends of his.
However he had only been assigned to a team with only one person he actually knew, fortunately for him, that person was his closest friend, but that didn't matter much now.
His old friend, his new friends, they were all dead.
He rolled over on his makeshift bed to face away from the wall.
The room he was in was devoid of people and filled with crates of ammunition, explosives and other ordinance.
He adjusted himself on the rucksack, closed his eyes and tried to sleep. It took some time but he finally managed to drift off into a restless sleep.
However he was soon roused from his nightmare filled slumber.
It was a noise that had woken him.
A sound, like someone weakly scratching a piece of sharp metal along rough stone.
It alone wouldn't have been enough to scare him, or even wake him.
But the noise felt...unnatural
He didn't have a way to describe it, the noise didn't scare him.
But something deep down in his core or in an ancient molecule of his DNA told him that he should be scared, he should be very scared.
The scrapping noise grew louder, and louder.
In a few seconds it had grown to the point where it was impossible for him to assert that it was his imagination, he was about to look out of the window, but suddenly it stopped...and it was replaced with a far more sinister sound.
Ryan didn't hear anything for a few seconds, but then he heard it.
An explosion, it was definitely an explosion.
But it was an explosion like he had never heard before.
It was screaming, lots of screaming.
From lots of screaming 'people'.
But it wasn't human screaming.
It was something so otherworldly, so surreal.
It was a noise that no human mind could conceive.
It was beyond description how terrifying and unnatural it sounded.
It was like a portal to another dimension had been opened, something that no man had never seen...things that no man should ever have seen.
The noise continued for a few long, drawn out seconds until it suddenly faded into non existence.
Then Ryan's terror vanished with it, as if both had never truly existed.
Before he had a chance to react, a shock wave hit into the side of the building.
It shattered the window's 'safety glass' and knocked Ryan off his feet.
He fell onto the floor and his helmet rolled to his side.
As it happened a spare assault rifle was shook from it's place on top of a crate above Ryan.
The Rifle hung over the edge for a few seconds as it slowly began it's fall.
The butt of the assault rifle hit him on the head and he was knocked unconscious instantly.

Author's Note:

Just a bit of exposition about Icarus before the next chapter which is going to take a while to come out.