• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 1,536 Views, 32 Comments

A changeling's purpose - SwarmLordAbdonis



After the fall of queen Chrysalis and the hive, a single drone escapes the clutches of Thorax and his new role as king. However, hope remains for him and the survivors of the hive. Together they will restore the changeling race or die trying.

  • ...
4
 32
 1,536

Infiltrators

I was alive.

That was the very first thought that entered my head the moment my eyes opened. It took a second for my brain to comprehend it, but there was no denying it. I was in pain and I was tired. But I was most certainly alive.

But despite the joy that continued to burst within my own head, the seriousness of the situation took control as I began to realise that some-ling, for some reason must have saved my life. It was the only explanation for my continued existance. After all, wolves are vicious creatures without guilt or remorse. They would have torn me limb from limb. One could argue that the small chance of a larger predator coming across the scene and frightening away my would-be killers would also be a possibility. But I doubt it.

Besides, it wouldn't explain the warm feeling stretched across my back. Nor the orange glow that overtook me, fading out just before it reached the nearest tree. I must have been resting next to a fireplace. But again, who would save a changeling?

I doubted very much that whoever was behind me was a pony, that much I was sure of. A cowardly lot who would never venture this far into the forest. Griffons perhaps? No. I could hear the shuffling of hooves, definetley hooves. But they sounded lighter-

*SNAP*

I flinched. That was the sound of a branch breaking, coming from the direction I was currently facing. For a slight second I thought it was the wolves again.

It wasn't.

You can imagine the shock and surprise that overwhelmed me upon seeing that it neither wolf, nor pony nor griffon. But instead a changeling trotting into view, levitating a bunch of sticks.

Upon noticing that I was looking right at him, he almost froze mid-trot. He mirrored my own expression, but it was most likely he was more... accepting of the situation than I was. I couldn't even ask a single question out of the hundreds that exploded in my mind all at once. But the one thing that could be confirmed was that I wasn't the last changeling drone after all.

Finally after what felt like hours of awkward silence, he lowered the sticks before letting them fall from his magical grip to the ground next to another small pile of sticks. He then spoke.

"Thank the queen, you're awake at last".

There was a sudden rush of commotion behind me. I turned round carefully, knowing full well what to expect but was still unable to mentally prepare myself. There were another six changelings, all surrounding a small fire. All looking right at me. It took another seven seconds before I was finally able to speak a single sentence.

"How is this possible"...?

My question had meant to be rhetorical and directed at myself, but I still recieved an answer. From the one who had emerged from the dark.

"Well, it wasn't hard. Wolves aren't too brave when faced with larger numbers. It's lucky we heard the beasts howling otherwise you would be naught but bones by now".

"That's not what... How are you here, is what I meant. I don't recall seeing any-ling else flee from the hive".

"That's because we didn't come from the hive. At least not when we learned of its fall".

"Then where"?

"The pony castle near Ponyville".

"The... castle"? My brain clicked into place. "The infiltration teams! The ones sent to replace the princesses and their closest known relatives! You are them"?

I recieved a nod. "We are the largest of the three sent, yes".

That explains it then. Those teams were the only known groups outside of the hive once the queens plans to conquer Equestria were in motion. But if this was just one team...

"And the others"?

"We do not know. The team in Canterlot was able to warn us in time that the princesses were returning. Whether they or those in the Crystal empire escaped in time, it seems unlikely".

I admit I know little about the hives infiltration teams. Only that they served our queen as scouts, sent either to find food sources (The ponies) or to blend into the society of another species to gather information. Each and every infiltration team had at least one leader and one warrior to accompany them with every mission they made for experience and protection. Before me was the warrior, that I could tell from his two fangs which stood out bigger than the others. Meaning the leader was among the changelings behind me.

I simply nodded to the warrior and turned to face the others. I could sense their panic, their worry for what may become of them. Do I blame them for it? No. For I felt the same way and they probably knew it too.

"Who among you is the leader of this team"? I asked after a few mere seconds passed.

The closest changeling on the right of me stood up and stepped forwards. I nodded and gestured for him to follow me. There were questions that needed answering.

He understood and moved at once, after ordering the others, including the warrior to stay and secure the area. Meaning doing what they were already doing before I woke up and disturbed them. I took the leader over just where the light of the fire faded. I assumed we would be safe enough. Far enough for no-ling else to hear but close enough to call trouble should it arise.

"First things first I would like to know your name".

"Fang, sir". He replied without skipping a beat. Pushing his chest out proudly showing the proper respect one would and should give to some-ling of a higher rank.

"Fang"... I repeated before nodding. "I need to know of some very important details regarding the last few days. I trust you will have no trouble answering me"?

"Of course not sir".

I asked my questions right away, being sure that I covered everything from his side of the story. He knew almost everything that I did, but only through rumor and the other infiltration teams before they stopped responding.

I even asked why they had chosen to shelter in the middle of this dangerous forest. He told me it was because the ponies knew that they had escaped and that they would be searching the towns for them. That they would not have the guts to check this deep into the forest.

It made sense I suppose. Sometimes the the most dangerous spot can prove to also be the safest.

As for finding me, he said it was because of luck mostly. The warrior played the biggest part since it was he who heard the howls. I was unintentionally galloping not so far away from their camp and they simply took precautions by checking it out. The chances of all that happening are small but possible all the same. Either way I am both glad and thankful that it happened.

"If that is true then I thank you all". I bowed respectfully to the leader.

Upon raising my head I realised that the weight of my helmet was not offering any resistance. I quickly spotted it next to the area that I had woken up from and calmly walked over to retrieve it. The leader, Fang was still following me.

"It's kind of funny really". He chuckled. "Within the time I served the hive, not once did I ever have to serve under a swarm leader. Now when I believed that would now be impossible, along you came".

"The last few days have proved to be strange and unpredictable Infiltration leader. I doubt that yours shall be the last".

I waited a moment to grasp my helmet once again and placed it gently upon my head. A soldier should never be without his armor. Not here. Not in times like this.

"Unless there is some-ling I have yet to meet, I assume I am the highest ranking changeling here"?

"That is correct Swarm Leader".

Then it's confirmed. I am in charge. Very rarely have I needed to command a group of any number and now I find myself in charge of the only changelings that exist within all of Equestria. What can I even say about that? There is no straight answer. All that can be done is to accept it and be done with the fear of it.

"Very well then. In that case I will assume control and establish our main priorities tomorrow when your men have had their rest".

"Our number one priority sir"?

"To find retake the hive, take revenge on those who tried to extinguish our kind and find Queen Chrysalis. Our very future depends on it".

Author's Note:

And another chapter is done :) Thanks for reading guys and gals. For the future I'll try and add a chapter once a week. If I don't it'll be because of university work and will be posted the week after.