• Published 18th Nov 2016
  • 2,164 Views, 60 Comments

My Heart's Content - Doctor Disco



I've always loved the unknown. Maybe that's why this all happened. And it cost me. Now I'm here, in world that's upside down... I have to find them. I can fix this. And if it means making friends along the way... Well, how much worse could it get?

  • ...
4
 60
 2,164

8 - Wait, What?

With everypony having gone their separate ways, Derpy and I now remain alone at the dinner table. Sipping at the tea she had so kindly made for the both of us, we stayed silent as we stared at the center of the table. My, what an interesting tablecloth.

“You know, the tablecloth isn’t that interesting,” Derpy mutters as she takes another sip from her tea.

“Well, it does have a nice knitting pattern,” I say. “The material it was made from is nice and soft too, so if you ever want to fall asleep on it or put your hooves on it, it feels absolutely splendid.”

“Aren’t you an observant one,” Derpy says and I can’t help but laugh.

“So, what are we going to do today?” I ask with feigned interest. In all honesty, I just want to stay here and hang out, but by Derpy’s look it seems there are other things on her mind.

“I… have to go and give out mail,” Derpy says slowly. “But I don’t want to leave you alone by yourself. I fear… you might do something…”

I can already tell what she’s implying. She’s thinking back to what happened only yesterday, and I sigh. “Well, who else can you leave me with?” I ask. And as a joke, I mention the lovable party mare as a ‘worthy’ candidate. “Pinkie?”

I see her eyes widen in revelation and I look at her confused for a moment before realizing what she’s thinking. “That’s a great idea, Mellow!” Derpy exclaimed happily before pausing. “I can call you Mellow, can I? Or would you prefer-”

“Mellow is alright, though it’s usually shortened to Mels,” I sigh. “I wasn’t being serious when I said Pinkie.”

“Well, I am. Finish your tea and let’s go,” Derpy ordered before dashing off to get her uniform on. I groan in my incompetence and Derpy shouts down from upstairs.

“Get your silly flank off that chair and get ready!”

“You're not my mom,” I point out as I start for the main doors.

“My house, my rules! Plus, we’re flatmates so we should respect each other.”

I raise my hoof to object, but can’t find a fault in her logic. Resigned and ready to go, Derpy comes down with her mailmare clothes on and a bag packed to the brim with mail. As she opens the door, she let’s me go first, and we take off for Sugarcube Corner.


“Make sure she eats her lunch!” Derpy called out as she began to fly away. “I don’t want her dying on me the second day!”

“I’m not a child, Derpy,” I snap back. For a brief moment, I ca see a wide goofy grin on Derpy’s face before she leaves me be.

“Everypony’s a child inside, Melly!” Pinkie says.

“Is today Nickname Day?” I mutter to myself.

“No, you just have an oddly syllabled name that feels weird on the tongue when you say it enough times,” Pinkie explains, and I crane my head to look at her.

“Well that’s comforting,” I say and she giggles.

“Come on, I actually have a free day so I can introduce you to some of my friends!” Pinkie says excitedly before calling into the bakery. “Mister and Missus Cake! I’m going out!”

“Alright, Pinkie! Come back before seven so we can close shop!” somepony shouted from behind the counter before Pinkie shut the door to the bakery behind her.

“Well? What are you doing standing around? Let’s go,” Pinkie urges and I begin to walk while Pinkie…

While Pinkie literally bounces on the ground to at least three metric feet in the air. I test the dirt packed road’s own resilience and find it not giving in even a little. Okay, maybe a little, since for some reason the ground turned to putty once I actually tried putting my hooves through it.

“You do not obey the law of physics at all,” I whisper to myself, but it seems Pinkie heard me.

“You know Derpy was pranking you with that whole ‘Fillycs’ thing, right? I have to give her props, that was actually a good one!” Pinkie says excitedly and I can’t help but feel a stab of betrayal from Derpy. It looks like we were best friends after all.

“I need to get her back just tell me when! I’m a master pranker, alongside Rainbow Dash! Although, I feel she might take things too far in a future chapter. You know, because meta is awesome.”

I look at her with what I feel is blatant confusion on my face. “Meta?... What, are you breaking some sort of fourth wall or something?” She looks at me all surprised and can’t help but feel like I said something wrong.

How did you know?” she whispers with urgency in her tone before going back to her happy state. “Yeperoni! But i can only do it on occasion. Even talking about the fourth wall drains some of my inner magic.”

“Inner… magic?” I ask.

“Yes! Everypony has it. Unicorns and pegasi can just channel it better than we do. We usually channel it subconsciously, as we’re always connected to the earth and ground beneath us. And whatever cutie mark you have, the better you are at it in your element!

“So, say since I have balloons as my cutie mark, if I went to a party, my magic would strengthen and fill up with the atmosphere I’m in! Even if I’m not connected to the Earth!” Pinkie explains, and I stare at her in wonder.

“Wow… that is a very detailed and well-reasoned observation… I think I need a pen and paper…”

“You seemed so much like Twilight just a second ago… and you were so nice too,” Pinkie says with sadness.

What? “I’m sorry?”

“Oh, it’s nothing, I was just overdramatically showing how I didn’t know you were as much a bookworm as Twilight as you were a funny mare like me!”

I churn her barrage of words in my mind. “That… kind of makes sense?”

“Oh don’t worry about it. And sorry I couldn’t come to the slumber party last night. I was busy solving a problem with my friends and Coloratura.”

At the name of the singer I had only recently learned, I look at her with a raised eyebrow. “You know Countess Coloratura?”

“Well, now I do! Though she does prefer to be called RaRa by close friends.” She looks at me with an analytical look before grinning widely. “You know… I think you too would make great friends! After I introduce you to AJ and the others, I can get you two to hook up! I think you would great friends.”

“And how would you know that?” I giggle.

“Parties and friends are kinda my thing,” Pinkie nonchalantly brushes off. “And besides, with that singing talent of yours, you would be a fantastic duet! Come on, let’s go to the Castle!”

“Hey, thanks- wait…” I say before narrowing my eyes at the retreating figure of Pinkie Pie. “I never said anything about my own singing!” I yell as I race to catch up with her. How could a pony that bounced gain so much ground in such a short time?

“PINKIE!”

Author's Note:

Sorry about missing a week! I promise I'll have three chapters prepared soon, I've just been working on other projects!