• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 1,232 Views, 33 Comments

Tom The Rock - DeathRiseRobo



Rocky today, rocky forever.

  • ...
3
 33
 1,232

Tom The Rock

TOM THE ROCK
FROM A NON-LIVING OBJECT'S PERSPECTIVE





"Are we done yet?"
"No, I just started! In fact, a large portion of my life was inside a hole, waiting to be-"
Ugh, Twilight thought. Who knew casting a come-to-life spell on a rock would be so... boring?
Rarity's "diamond" had landed in Twilight's cellar, and she had no intention of moving it, and a come-to-life spell seemed like the best way to get it out without much effort.

The come-to-life spell didn't make it move, but instead, talk! It began spewing its life story and forced Twilight to stay with it by crushing her tail under its immense ten tons of weight.
Guess I have no choice but to listen, she thought.

"Hey, uh... Tom, can you start over?"

"Anything for you, creator no.2! Now, let's see... Where was I?"
-----

It all began when I was brought into existence. I was born, like all the other rocks, by a team of scientific ponies cloning a new substance they called "hard terra", and what you now call rocks. I was subject number #11941231245192, and was very special, as I was the smallest made so far. Everyone was awed by my ability to get picked up by air, and I was put in Discord's Royal Petting Zoo. In there, I was given food, water, and a fully-functional erosion chamber. The petting zoo was right next to His chamber, so Discord visited me often. I was his favorite hard terra.

As time went on, the erosion chamber made me bigger and bigger. The other pebbles got absorbed into me and I became so big, I needed a new cage. After that, they shut off the erosion chamber and left me to my own resources. But not for long.

Two alicorns came rushing in, and turned His Majesty into stone. I saw the entire thing. I wanted to scream, as loud as I could, but rocks don't have lungs. They harnessed the power of 5 rocks and a tiara, then sent my beloved master into eternal stone. The next thing I knew, they threw me out of His- no, their castle onto the street, and I was cast into oblivion. Who knew I was in the petting zoo for 1000 years?

The world had changed. No longer was it a place for labs and slaves, but instead a road to freedom. Wherever I looked was terra and hard terra alike.

Was I no longer the smallest?
Was I no longer special?

Dejected, almost for forever I sat on that side of the street, being ignored by all of Canterlot.
The next year, the Rockerra Protection Program began, and I was moved to a wildlife preserve, now called the "biggest" rock. It wasn't that much of a change, and I was still happy. Once a week I was washed with rock shampoo, and towed by magic because of safety hazards.
Onlookers now shared a glance with me, and it was almost as good as the petting zoo.
Almost.
The preserve closed, along with the protection program, because rocks were no longer endangered. Instead, it became a rock farm, where I sat on top of the rubble watching others like me get pushed around by mere ponies. There were 5 inhabitants to it: 4 gray ones and a pink one. The pink one would stay up all night in the newly-built lighthouse making others feel... joyful, which rubbed off on me a bit.

Eventually the farm closed, leaving this rock still on that hill.
Life went on, and I stood there, motionless, until one day I had a visitor. A filly.
A white unicorn rambled on about how useless I was, and I almost cried, until a sonic boom broke me in two. Inside me were diamonds, and the mean white unicorn immediately took it back, but stole my precious innards.
Not only was I no longer diamond-encrested, but had been split in two and shamed. It couldn't get any worse.
And, as melodramatic as it is, it did.
A ray of light hit directly into the small slit of stone that kept my two halves together, which instantly broke, leaving a trail of rainbow out of the liquid that was hidden deep in the crack, and illuminated by a single ray of light.
And this all seems impossible, I know, but the current me is only half of the old me, and I was lucky to be the part of me that retains the memories.
Time flew by. I was still on the hill, and it was really boring. There was the occasional jumper-off-the-hill, and the bungee cord was always attached to me. I didn't fall off the hill, though. Then, one day, I was summoned to a grassy maze, and saw Master preparing the details. I practically jumped in joy, but rocks can't do that. Again.

"Why, Tom, you've practically lost yourself! Let me restore you," my master added.

He cast a spell on me to enlarge me, hence the current size, and to appear as a diamond to one with a pale coat. After that, I was sent into a wall made of dirt and soft terra; what you ponies call "clay"; and waited like a rock should; keeping your mind off the subject, because slow and steady wins the race.
Soon, the clay surrounding me faded away; to find my nightmare standing right in front of me;
That white unicorn who had been mean to me once before.
But something had changed this time; she treasured me and called me a diamond.
My master's power is certainly overwhelming, no?
So we headed out of the maze with the white unicorn's five companions constantly nagging a purple unicorn, and I was left at the library. At the next moment, I was inside a fashion boutique, and then pushed out by the same white unicorn. From the outside of the boutique, I saw the entire thing;
My master was put back into his eternal slumber again, and discord in Equestria was forever lost; 1,500 years ago, this scene was the same.
It's your fault.
But through 10,000 years of rest, I learned to forgive.
-----
"But Tom, how did you end up here then?" came Twilight's sympathetic voice.

"Oh, the force of your magic rainbow blew me into here. It's dark.
And I think this spell's fading.
Thank you, my second master...."
With his last word, Tom turned back into stone, and left with his departure...
A single pebble tear; left by the caring boulder with a huge heart.
And Twilight cared for a moment about the lost rock, then found a more important problem:

How do I get my tail out?

Comments ( 33 )

"one.The pink "
"though.Then, one day,"
"the library.At the next"

SPACE. AFTER. PERIOD

i think it's pretty much good

I love how you joined all the episodes with rocks in them to fit Tom's story. It was really cool... Who knew rocks could be so interesting?:ajsmug::rainbowlaugh:

:rainbowlaugh: HA this made my day. A fun and short story.

Good job.:twilightsmile:

830049
Rocks are a part of life.
830050
Thanks!
Rocks have an unbelievably awesome plot.
I needed to go beyond just writing the second season's starter episode.
No, I needed a story.

The only thing that kind of bothered me was that you said Twilight thought Tom was boring...
Meanwhile, he was telling her about Equestrian history that nopony but the princesses really know.
I think Twilight would generally be ecstatic about such things.

That aside, this was pretty great... :twilightsmile:
I wouldn't be surprised if this hit Featured, actually...

830522
REALLY?!?!
THANKS!
And Twilight wasn't interested in Tom because he's supposed to get out, and she doesn't want to be down here forever.

830608 True enough, I suppose... :unsuresweetie:
Yeah, that could go either way. :ajsleepy:

And yeah, this seemed fairly well-thought-out, there was no horrendous grammar or spelling, the idea isn't completely original, but original nonetheless, and it was overall an interesting read. :moustache:

The only things you could really do are expand to more episodes (if there are any others with really big rocks) and add a cover picture of Tom (If you are good with art or know someone who is, you could make a picture of Tom actually on Twilight's tail). :twilightsmile:

830630

I haven't seen any other stories about rocks. :pinkiecrazy:
But...
I know someone who's really good with art.
Check the cover for Zombism Is Magic.

i like how you incorparated discords regime

830879
It wasn't too hard; but it was fun to think about what a psychotic chaos monster would do, and humor it in the process.

830843 I think I've seen ONE... maybe... It very well could have been on a different site, though...
*shrug*

And good shtuff, the art I mean. Adding a cover pic is always a good way to get more viewers. It's the equivalent of dangling shiny keys in front of an infant... :rainbowwild:

This was really good! Tom is one of the best characters on the show! :rainbowkiss: Good use of linking episodes together :raritystarry:

830084 True rocks are pretty hardcore (see what i did there:rainbowwild:) if you ever feel the need to read another story about Tom might i suggest my fic called "Rock-hard And Wet" .....The title is a little missleading :trollestia:

831324
TOM'S A ROCK.
I liked adding a rock's possible dialogue, and it was nothing short of a hard task.

I'm not sure whether to laugh at Twilight or feel bad for Tom. TOO MANY CONFLICTING EMOTIONS! AHDHHADHGHSDHAD!
So here's both: :rainbowlaugh: :fluttercry:\
Great story by the way!

Why did Twilight use a come-to-life spell instead of a levitation?

How do I get my tail out?
BAHAHAHAHA!!! :rainbowlaugh: Ah... That's great... :yay:

832433
A levitation from her deep basement?
She can't even see the top.

832770
I'm glad you like my humor here.

That was very cute!

...Dang now I feel sorry for an inanimate object.

1167989

Eh.
It'll wash away; in time.

That was sad. His life was so fleeting, yet his experience so vast. Twilight didn't even write anything down, he just revealed the true history of Equestria. He was there, damn it!

This. Is. AMAZING. And kind of sad. And funny. But still amazing. Minor literary errata aside, this definitely deserves a place in the "Featured" box.
--
IX

1567309
That's been said, but never done, sadly...

1567312
Ah well. FIMFiction's like that, I guess. Sometimes the gems by lesser-known authors (not meaning any insult, and that pun was kind of deliberate) don't ever get rightfully recognized.

1567319
Ah, yes. I was contemplating turning Tom into a literal diamond, but decided against it.

1567334
Haha
Mm. Your response below makes sense. Your other works are really great, glad you kept the quality up.
--
IX

1567350
Yeah; I decided against it because of mass issues...

it was good:pinkiehappy:

but actually it was boring sorry:rainbowwild:

Who knew a rock could go through so much? I like how you made Discord his "master," too- it seems like the thing he'd do. :rainbowlaugh:

A thumb in the air for you, good sir.

Login or register to comment