• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 628 Views, 3 Comments

CSR Brush Pony - shysage



For centuries, it has just been our three Pony races, enjoying Equestria together. Imagine my amazement when Fluttershy brought a new species of Pony into my Library!

  • ...
 3
 628

Chapter 5, Plea

It's me again, Princess Twilight. And I guess, well that tune in the background never went away(1). Fluttershy said she heard it too, all the time now. She said she was starting to like it.

Princess Celestia agreed that the ability to communicate with this new species of Pony was my first task. Clipboard in hand, I dove into language acquisition. Well, the Magic of Friendship took quickly over, as Shyna and Ariel, along with Filia and Fiona; these amazing and loving girls really did scoop up and embrace Arianna, the Brush Pony foal, and cherish her like they do each other. Arianna was learning our language so fast, and this helped mom and dad learn our language too. After that first day, my clipboard, ink and quill stayed at the Castle, as true friendship took over. The result was the same, only faster. By the third day they were among us, the Brush Pony mare was asking me a lot of questions, about our words, about Equestria. This was very good.

The Brush Pony family spent every night at Fluttershy's Cottage. Fluttershy's sister, who had actually rescued the Brush Ponies from Cougars, she was there too. That seemed only right; it would be difficult for anypony else to match her abilities. Well, maybe we could surround Fluttershy's Cottage with guards. I suggested that, but my brother Shining Armor pointed out that we really didn't know anything about that, and he didn't see the need. I agreed with he and Princess Celestia, that having Fluttershy's sister near was more an act of consideration on our part; neither perceived any additional threat. I felt it was the least we could do for our guests, and it did help them feel more comfortable here. That was reason enough as far as I was concerned.

As I walked to Fluttershy's Cottage with Filia and Fiona that fourth day, I had opportunity to thank Filia and Fiona for their part in this whole thing. I explained that their amazing friendship was helping Arianna, and really the whole Brush Pony family, to come more quickly up to speed in their ability to communicate with us. From Equestria's perspective, that was very helpful. We stopped and hugged briefly. They really are like my adopted daughters, and I love them a lot. Well, I share Fiona with Rarity, but that is not a problem either. Fiona shares Rarity's taste for fashion, and that is fine. Rescuing Filia and Fiona, that was our real goal when they came to us. Now it seems like they are helping us do the same thing with this new family. Friendship is like that; it spreads easily!

The five girls spilled out the door of Fluttershy's Cottage soon after we arrived. I walked with the Brush Pony mare and stallion as we followed the girls, and the mare spoke to me briefly. Fluttershy was soon on my other side. I think we all were looking forward to another amazing day wandering the meadow. I had to put a lot of Princess stuff on hold to be able to spend all day outside with this new family. I was really enjoying that!

As we walked, the Brush Pony stallion asked carefully "Summer... come?"

I had to think a minute what the right answer to this question should be. "Back tonight" I said slowly. I hoped that was enough.

We all had some breakfast first thing. As usual, the Brush Ponies ate what we ponies avoid, and we enjoyed the grass and oats. A stop at the creek for a drink, and then we wandered out into the meadow. The Sun was already high, and the warmth felt amazing. I was pretty sure our walk in the meadow would shimmer today. And it sounded to me like Arianna was doing quite a bit of talking in... Shyna laughed and called it 'New Pony' and she meant modern Equestrian. Arianna actually understood that joke! And I noticed that the Brush Pony stallion and mare were also trying to talk in modern Equestrian, and Fluttershy and I helped them with that most of the morning. That was fun! Overall, this Brush Pony family was making amazing progress. I could see a visit by the rest of Equestria's Princesses in a matter of days.

After we nibbled for lunch, Arianna took a nap next to her mom under a bush. Filia, Fiona, Shyna and Ariel were sitting together talking, not too far away, but further into the meadow. Fluttershy and I were resting in the grass near the Brush Pony family. At one point Fluttershy was trying to explain the huge ears that the Brush Pony family all had. Fluttershy guessed their hearing was probably very good. Fluttershy stopped mid-sentence though, and nodded towards them. Both the mare and stallion, ears very high and straight, they were looking intently to a point beyond Filia, Fiona, Shyna and Ariel. Not really too concerned, we just watched them briefly. But I think Fluttershy felt...

It was only then that we heard the Cougar growl, loudly. The brush pony foal, Arianna, woke up immediately at that sound, and began to cry. I... screamed. I guess... Such terrible beasts in our meadow... I was just not ready for that... Arianna got quickly up, then the three Brush Ponies cowered behind me. I wanted to cower behind them!

I have to rely on Fluttershy for this part; I was pretty useless, and just kept crying, along with the Brush Pony family. And when we heard the second Cougar... Maybe I freaked out...

According to Fluttershy, the four girls got up right away. Standing there, they formed a line between the rest of us and the two Cougars. Ariel, Shyna, Filia and Fiona, these amazing four girls did not back away, run away, and stood their ground as both Cougars slowly advanced, growling loudly.

Ariel was in the middle. "Girls, can you sleep them?" Ariel was obviously talking to Filia and Fiona. A sleep spell is very difficult, and I mean very difficult, unless you have a lot of natural magical ability. Well, Filia and Fiona have that. On their own, they found a sleep spell months ago, and learned it by practicing on each other. I supervised, but these two gifted Unicorns really didn't need me. And casting the sleep spell presented no problems to either girl.

Fiona said quietly "Left Cougar, got it."

Filia then added "I'll sleep the right one."

And I have no idea who did what. A few seconds later the Cougar growling stopped. Maybe five seconds later, I heard a very loud "BANG", and then five more seconds another loud "BANG". That scared me, and I think I screamed again.

Fluttershy said Ariel mentioned quietly "Check for fire girls, and get some water ready."

Fifteen seconds later, Filia and Fiona bolted back to me and we cried. Shyna and Fluttershy were quickly hugging.

Fluttershy said ten seconds later, not very long, Shysage and... Summer... landed in front of Ariel, who was still facing the two lifeless Cougar carcasses. Summer ran straight for the Brush Pony mare, and they hugged right away, and the Brush Pony family began to calm down.

I guess Shysage was hugging Ariel (his daughter) right away too. Fluttershy heard this as she and Shyna hugged, not far away.

"Daddy, I didn't know what else to do..." Ariel said with tears in her eyes.

Shysage smiled. "You are your mom's daughter... Ariel, you saved everypony around you."

Ariel protested "Well, Filia and Fiona slept them so I could aim better..."

"So it was a group effort" Shysage said as he smiled at Ariel again.

Fluttershy said Shysage turned, walked over to the nearest dead Cougar. Ariel followed him, Shysage quietly said this. "Meat sacks... These were long range scouts. Our Brush Pony friends must be very important." Shysage paused briefly, then Shysage said quietly "Ariel, you need to be very careful from here on out. I don't think... There may be more." Only then did Ariel cry as Shysage hugged her.

Well, Fluttershy said Summer and Shysage bowed to me before they left. I think I was a mess, and didn't notice. After a few minutes they got up, and got ready to leave. Both hugged Ariel, but the Brush Pony mare walked quickly over. "Please... stay..."

Summer hugged the Brush Pony mare right away. After a minute, they put their heads together. Summer said slowly "will check fields from the air, will be back tonight." Fluttershy said she then explained that to the mare, so she understood.

I think I was calming down at that point. I am just not used to such terrifying creatures being out here in our meadow. That whole thing took me by suprise, and really scared me. I was thankful that Fluttershy was able to still function, at least, and help especially note what I could not.

The Brush Pony mare walked over to me. She put her head low. Then she said quietly "Please rescue Brush Pony..." She stopped there, and looked up at Fluttershy. The two sensed briefly. The Brush Pony mare started again. "Please rescue Brush Pony tribe..." She quickly started saying that over and over... "Please rescue Brush Pony tribe..." Before long, the mare was laying on the ground crying loudly, crying out that same phrase... "Please rescue Brush Pony tribe..."

Minutes earlier, I was a mess... As she lay there pleading, pleading for the life of their whole tribe, it seemed... I looked up, off into the distance... feeling for Equestria to lead me...

"We will..." I said quietly.

We all walked slowly back to Fluttershy's Cottage. Rainbow Dash was waiting there, and I sent her off to get Summer and Shysage for the evening.

Filia, Fiona and I walked slowly back to the Castle. They told me what had actually happened; that they had helped Ariel and such. I didn't even know Ariel could... At one point, I stopped, and we hugged. "You girls were very brave" I said through tears.

Fiona smiled, even with tears streaming down her face. "We were protecting our friends..." We hugged and cried together there for a little while more.

As soon as we were back at the Castle, I found Spike, on the steps in the Sun again, and had him take this message, as Filia and Fiona headed inside.

"Dearest Princess Celestia,

"Two more Cougars attacked those of us around the Brush Pony family this afternoon. The Cougars were quickly destroyed, and nopony was injured, but I think this surfaced the Brush Pony families' real need. The mare pleaded with me, probably with Equestria, to rescue the Brush Pony tribe. Even though I have no idea what such a rescue might look like, on behalf of Equestria, and I think with Equestria's leadership, I promised the mare that we would.

"I am honestly puzzled by the appearance of these beasts so close to our city, no less. There have been two such attacks, in less than 5 days. I have no idea what to conclude from all this.

"Beyond that, I await your, Equestria's direction in this matter. I remain...

"Your faithful student,

"Princess Twilight"

Spike sent the letter off in a fireball, then sniffed. "Just send an army in and get them out. How hard could that be?"

I was deep in thought anyway, and only slowly heard Spike's suggestion. Then I replied. "I can't see my brother doing that without knowing more. I think we will just need to wait and see. It is really up to Equestria now."

Spike was deep in thought too. "Wow, Cougars in our fields... That is scary..." Then Spike smiled. "Wait until I am bigger. I'll show them!"

I smiled at Spike's last comment. Some day he would be huge. But for now, Cougars so close... "I think they were after the Brush Pony family, but yes. That needs to be addressed too." I said slowly. I looked off to the East as the setting Sun behind the Castle cast an orange glow on Ponyville. "We should know more tomorrow, I think."

Then we walked inside.



Author's Note:

1. Unless otherwise noted, the music flowing in the background for this entire story is "A New Horizon - Tavnazian Archipelago" from the Original Soundtrack for the "Chains of Promethia" expansion for "Final Fantasy XI", and this all is copyright by Square Enix.