• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,139 Views, 42 Comments

Love the Costume, Vinyl! - SkyLovesPie

  • ...
4
 42
 1,139

I. Endless Sleep

Author's Note:

Welcome, welcome! Firstly, I would like to thank you for being brave enough to click on this story (:D) and second, I would like to apologize for any spelling mistakes that I make. I have tried to look over my work to make sure I don't leave any in there, but I may miss some ._. so sorry about that.

Toodles!
-SkyLovesPie

My name is Melody Song, and I'll be your guide to this messed up story I call "My Life". It's bad in the beginning and it gets worse, just wait.

This whole thing is the fault of a couple of strangers, a glass of wine, and my own stupidity (which was not helped by the wine). It begins... I don't even know the year, because it wasn't marked accurately, so it could've been 1569 and they said it was 1596. But I think it was sometime during 1540, because that's the year marked on my tombstone. By the time I went back to read the day, it was worn away, and I still don't know when it was. But anyways, I lived in Manehatten my whole life. 1540 was the year I turned 21, and that meant I went out drinking a lot that year. Not a lot at one time, but in total it was a lot. And now I still follow that habit.. I'm on a liquid diet so I have to. This one night, I remember it very clearly...

It was almost winter, and I was freezing cold. I had worked all day at my family's musical-thingamabob shop. I can't remember the name of it, mostly because I tried very hard to repress the dreadful place from my mind, and evidently, it worked. I was walking to one of my favorite pubs to get some Merlot. The pub itself was a nice place, but the customers weren't always that way. A couple of stallions were sitting drunk at a table. After I had finished my glass of wine, one of them yelled at me, despite the fact he was right behind me.

"Hey, you there. Wanna make a bet?" I knew better sober, but I get intoxicated easily. Or did. Whatever.

"Sure," I slurred as I turned around. The memory is fuzzy, but I think that he was very burly, and he looked like he wasn't able to stand, due to how drunk he really was. He had a tan coat with white socks. His cutie mark was a shield adorned with a dragon's head. He had a black mane, cropped short so that it barely existed. His partner guffawed loudly, and then slumped over.

"I bet ten bits that you can't go to the graveyard at this moment and pour pig's blood on the graves," He, like his friend, laughed rather obnoxiously, then abruptly stopped.

"I bet ten bits that I can," Even slightly buzzed, I still was rather stupidly brave, and I couldn't resist a challenge, especially for money. I figured that he couldn't tell the difference between blood and wine in his current state, so I asked the barkeep for some more. I paid, then trotted out the door, the jug of wine floating in the air to my right. The graveyard was an old abandoned churchyard where the locals buried their loved ones (which is basically any old cemetery now that I think about it).

As I made my way down the streets, I kept hearing strange noises, like something was following me. I looked back, but saw nothing, and I figured it was just a wild animal. The noises resembled hoofsteps, only much quieter. I broke into a canter, and by the time I had reached the cemetery, I was out of breath (it was a long ways away). When I got there, I used my magic to tip over the jug of wine I had been carrying, spilling the dark red liquid over the mounds of dirt and splashing onto the mossy old grave markers.

I inhaled sharply as I turned around, due to a very loud noise from right behind me. This sudden intake of air caused me to drop the jug and it's contents, spilling everywhere and staining my hooves red. I didn't see anyone there, but I didn't think it was an animal anymore. Someone, or something had followed me here. The reason was a mystery to me, but I was sure it wasn't a pleasant reason. As my eyes scanned the darkness, I noticed a pale shape that stood out from the rest of the blackened street. A ghostly white figure approached me with the utmost speed and gracefulness I have ever witnessed. He had a black mane and a light gray muzzle, but the rest was pure white. He sauntered towards me slowly, a maniacal grin spreading ever so slowly across his muzzle. Once he was close enough, I saw the bright glow of his red eyes. Red eyes, I thought. Isn't that supposed to be for vampire ponies? I could see his teeth now, sharp pointed one-inch fangs glistening in the dark. As I gazed upon his otherworldly face, I realized that he was the hunter, I was the hunted. Predator and prey. That was when I decided to give running away a go. I galloped out of there, leaping over a massive fence, adrenaline pumping throughout my body now. My dress flailed behind me, and it caught on my hooves. I tripped, and fell. I felt his presence hovering above my vunerable figure. He smiled down at me and crooned something in another language. Then he switched to Equestrian.

"Don't be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you..." he said in a sickly sweet voice. He voice was so hypnotizing, so melodical, and yet, so dangerous. I was bewitched by this alluring creature. Slowly, he bowed his head down, and bit on my neck, his sharp fangs piercing my soft neck.

Even after he was long gone, the pain continued to spread. In the beginning, it wasn't bad. It was a little campfire's worth of heat, but it would get worse. The heat was concentrated in my neck, but it spread rapidly. It seemed that with each beat of my heart, every pulse, the fire spread and worsened. When it reached my heart, it started to get hotter. Mildly warm, then searing pain. I cried out in agony. I could see nothing, and I could hear nothing. All I could do was feel pain, and I wished many times for it to go away. But my wishes were ignored, evidently, as it got worse instead. As I burned, I screamed at the top of my lungs. I believe at some point I may have cried. Eventually, it faded. Slowly, I began to regain awareness of my surroundings. I was still in an abandoned part of town. Eventually, I felt reality fade away as I tried to grasp what was happening, yet I still fell into a deep sleep.