• Published 27th Sep 2016
  • 330 Views, 3 Comments

Life of the Whistle - SteamingWhistle382



The life of the Equestrian National Railways engineer Steaming Whistle, with all its ups, downs and derailments

  • ...
7
 3
 330

A last farewell

It was early in the morning when Steaming stirred out of his sleep the next morning. He sighted, having slept better than he ever had. The bed felt softer, the blanket warmer, and he himself felt calmer than he had in a long time. But a sudden realization made him open his eyes rather quickly, namely that there wasn't a blanket on him, and that the warmth that at first seemed to surround him, only came from right in front of him. He looked down, but his confused mind cleared up when the sleeping form of Jacky began to snuggle into him, a small but constant smile on her face. The memories of the previous night flooded back into his mind, the pleasure, the nervousness of doing something like this, praying that he would do everything right and not screw things up, only to loose all thoughts of doubt the second they joined together, the explosion of pleasure they had, the unsure, doubtful movements that grew faster until they finished in an even greater explosion, the bliss overtaking them, making them see stars, before drifting off to sleep, keeping each other close and warm. They both were their firsts. They both loved every second of it. And they both were sure that her father would probably kill him, seeing that they skipped dinner that evening. At the thoughts of dinner, Steamings stomach began to growl, the organ grumbling about its denial for food. Steaming chuckled lightly at this.

"Sssshhh old friend. We don't want to wake her up." Whispered Steaming, but his stomach seemingly had a mind of it's own, growling loudly, causing his girlfriend to stir, and to lightly open her eyes.

She yawned cutely, and Steaming pulled her closely, his constantly, fast pacing mind slowing down to a near standstill at the calm heartbeat.

"Is it morning already?" Asked Jacky, still half asleep.

"Yeah, 5 in the morning. Sad habit of an engineer. We just can't have a proper 8 hour nights rest." Winked Steaming cheekily.

"Hm, I'm starting to regret choosing you as my boyfriend." Mused Jacky.

"I just have to flush every piece of doubt out of you then." Said Steaming, using his deep voice, making Jacky blush, before moving in to kiss her deeply.

When they pulled back again, both were slightly panting from the lack of air.

"So, still any doubts?" Asked Steaming.

"Nope, no doubts, and no regrets." Smiled Jacky, before a thought struck her, making the smile disappear from her face.

"But it's just so unfair. We're going to be pulled apart again, and this time for a complete month!" Muttered the girl, her bright blue eyes staring into the engineers brown ones.

"Hehe, you know, I completely forgot to tell you something important last night." Said Steaming.

"Oh dear, what did you do this time?" Asked Jacky.

"Oh come on, I didn't do anything! On the contrary, it's actually quite good news! Your father said that he'll send you to Ponyville for safekeeping, so you might be able to visit me down in Dodge, or I'll visit you on a run up there!" Grinned Steaming, as Jackys smile grew on her face again, before moving in to kiss her engineer deeply again.

"I really need to thank my dad. He always does so much for me, it only would be fair to repay him for it." Said Jacky, smiling while looking out through the window on the right side of the bed, watching the sun rise over the horizon.

"Not only you. I'm still not even partly done repaying him for giving me a second chance. He really is a great man." Smiled Steaming, looking outside at the grand display that only a few people get to see, and to enjoy as well.

They watched the sunrise for a few more minutes, until the reason for their early wake up made itself noticeable again.

"Sounds like somebody's hungry." Chuckled Jacky, right before her stomach growled as well.

"Yeah, somebody's hungry alright." Chuckled Steaming as well, before he started to get out of the bed, pulling Jacky up as well.

"How about an early breakfast, lady Spike?" Asked Steaming, try to keep calm and not get all over his naked girlfriend again.

"A very good idea, but aren't I a bit out of your usual range of people whom you eat breakfast with, engineer Steaming?" Asked Jacky, having trouble keeping her hormones down as well.

"Hehe, you might be, but I don't even care the slightest." Grinned the young man, pulling Jacky into another kiss.

"You're a pretty naughty one, aren't you? Invading the personal space of an superior like that." Purred the girl with an tempting smile.

"Maybe I am? But I generally don't really care about class or nobility. For me, a third class carriage is as good as a first class parlor car."

"Oh? So what does that make me?" Asked Jacky with an challenging grin.

"You?" Asked Steaming, before pulling her close, so that their temples touched.

"You are the princesses salon car. The most special one of them all." He whispered, before kissing her again. This one, although shorter, carried way more emotions, the two of them releasing their love and feelings for each other from the moment their lips connected again.

When they pulled apart, Steaming picked up his boxers and shirt, while Jacky put on her underwear, and both of the slipped off outside of the room, and made their way downwards to the kitchen.



A few hours later, and after the rest of the household had their own share of breakfast, the three youngest people in the house were making themselves ready to get to the main station. Both Steaming and Emerald had their traveling bags with their basic traveling stuff, their colts back at the side of their belts, something Steaming was grateful for.

"It's good to finally have my gun with me again." Smiled Steaming, spinning his revolver in his hand before putting it into his holster again.

"Hmhm, nothing says protection more than six bullets at your disposal." Mused Emerald as he moved his hand over the grip of his gun.

"Oh just shut up will you?" Grumbled Jacky.

Her father had taken away her revolver, giving it to Steaming with the direct order to not give her the gun until they have arrived the main station in Ponyville. She was still sour at him about it, and at Steaming as well for not giving her the gun after her father had walked away. She had two medium sized bags, filled with some of her clothes for the first few days in Ponyville. The rest would be sent to her at a later date. Steaming had already picked up both bags, having slung his traveling bag over his shoulder, even though Jacky protested and tried to retrieve her bags.

"What kind of boyfriend would I be if I wouldn't carry the bags of my girlfriend?" Asked Steaming with an false shocked tone.

Jacky just rolled her eyes and said nothing, as Mr. and Mrs. Spike came up to them. Ms. Spike gave Jacky a kiss on her cheek, hugging her tightly.

"Mom, I'm not going to be gone forever!" Chuckled Jacky with a fake wince.

"I know, but it will be the longest time you've ever been away from us." Retorted her mother, before her father walked up to her, giving her a bear hug, lifting her off the ground in the process.

"Goodbye my little princess." He whispered.

"Bye daddy." Whispered Jacky.

"Boys, I expect you two to look after her for the duration of the time you three will be traveling together." Said Iron in a drill sergeant manner.

"You can rely on us sir!" Saluted the two men, rolling along with the joke.

"Good. Your train will leave at 1015 hours. I expect no delays from neither of you three. You two will report to local headquarters, and you young lady, will report back to GHQ." Said the railway manager, enjoying their little military role-play.

"Yessir!" The trio in front of the man said in unison, staring him in the eyes.

"Good. Dismissed! And now move before you miss your train." Ordered the man with a wink, as the three kids started to walk off, having opted to walk to the train station, instead of using a coach to get there.

Iron looked after them until they were out of sight, before turning around to follow his wife inside.

"So, now that the kids are gone, what are we going to do now?" Asked Iron, but was cut off when his wife spun around to look him in the eye.

"You will report to high command for a throughout vocal report, right now. Understood, Lieutenant Spike?" Asked the woman in an straight military way, the only thing giving her away was the smirk in her face.

Iron chuckled.

"Yes ma'am!" He saluted, before they quickly made their way upstairs.



The trio soon reached the main station, and after getting their tickets, moved to the platform from which their train would depart from. The tracks of the platform were deserted, until from down the tracks, a small, six wheeled tank engine slowly rolled into the station, dragging a long string of coaches underneath the stations canopy, the light blue color of the engine a stark contrast against the coaches yellow-orangish one. Shortly after the coaches came to an stop, a big tender engine, with the same kind of color as the tank engine backed smoothly onto the train, before swiftly getting coupled up. From the engine came a deep whistle, indicating that they would soon depart.

"Hm, that's funny." Mused Steaming.

"What's funny?"

"Great Northern usually has a few more minutes before he needs to depart with the express. I wonder what's hurrying him..." Answered Steaming as they got aboard one of the coaches at the back.

"Who's Great Northern?" Asked Jacky.

"He's one of the engineers residing up here in Canterlot. He, along with a few others are regular visitors down in Dodge. Heh, I still remember when he, Golden Dome and Black Five went on strike because they refused to shunt their own trains when Cinder Ashes was ill." Chuckled Emerald.

"Ah yes, and when Old Reliable and that new one, Puffball I think it was, had to take over their duties for the time they had been given forced vacation for being so silly! Ah yes, funny time that was, wasn't it?" Chortled Steaming, as they leaned back into their seats, the fine fabric of the first class coaches softly hugging their skin where it got the chance.

They hadn't waited long, when the guards whistle rang from a little way behind them, and with an slight jerk, the train started out of the station, quickly picking up speed as they started their trip. However, whilst they were passing the yards, they heard a loud whistling from behind their coach.

"Sounds like one of the shunters is whistling a greeting to us." Muttered Emerald.

"Well, the Wild Nor' Wester is a sight to behold after all." Chuckled Steaming, closing his eyes, trying to get a few more winks of sleep.

But before he could drift off to dreamland, the whistling came again, still as loud as earlier, ringing out with a hint of urgency.

"Sounds as if the engine that belongs to the whistle is following us." Murmured Steaming, getting up from his seat and opening the window, taking his hat off in case that the wind would blow it off his head. He leaned outside, and saw that the tank engine from earlier was still attached to the end of the train, whistling for the express to stop.

"So that's what's wrong!" Laughed Steaming, pulling his head inside again.

"What did you see?"

"They must've forgotten to uncouple the engine in the station! It's still coupled to the back of our train! Poor engine though, I doubt it was build to run at such speeds." Answered Steaming.

"Shouldn't we do something about it?" Asked Jacky.

"Nah, as soon as we're in Ponyville, they'll see her and uncouple her. They might need to check her over, but once they're done, she'll be sent back to Canterlot." Explained Steaming, before settling back into his seat, pulling his hat over his eyes again, his movements being copied by Emerald.

Jacky just sighted, and settled herself next to Steaming, leaning against him with her head on his left shoulder, before drifting off to sleep as well.



The journey flew by, all three of them sleeping through the run till they were nearly in Ponyville. Steaming was the first to wake up, quickly waking up Jacky, whilst letting Emerald sleep. He grabbed her bags when the train rolled into the station, slowing to an stop at the first platform. Reluctantly, Jacky stepped out of the coach, Steaming following her with her bags, before placing them softly on the wooden platform. The girl turned to the engineer, pulling him into a firm hug, placing a tender kiss on his lips. They stayed like this for a nearly a minute, before the guards whistle could be heard from behind them, indicating that Steaming needed to get aboard again.

"Don't go." Whispered Jacky.

"I'd wish I could." He whispered back.

"I promise to visit you as often as I can." Continued the railway man, before letting go of her, just as the train began to move again.

He grabbed the handrail of the door, and jumped onto the moving train, turning back to see his girlfriend following the train, as the distance grew between them.

"I'll be back as soon as I can!" Shouted Steaming, waving from the open door.

"I'll be waiting right here!" She shouted back, before gasping.

"Watch out!" But it was too late, as the door crashed against a signal post, slamming into Steaming and shutting the door.

"Ouch, that was a nice little bump." Sighted Steaming sarcastically, as he rubbed the place where the door rammed into his shoulder.

He walked back to his and Emeralds compartment, before settling back into his seat, his fellow railway man and partner snoring quietly in his seat. After another few quiet hours of traveling, the train began to slow again for its final stop; after nearly a weeks time, Dodge Junctions 'Friendly ghosts of the main station' had returned. Steaming and Emerald were still sleeping when the last few passengers got out, but since the guard knew where the duo would head off to, he let them sleep, telling the crew of the shunting engine that would take away the coaches that they still had some passengers that would get off later. Once they reached the storage siding, the shunter walked through the coaches, activating the hand brakes inside them to make sure that they wouldn't run away. When he passed the two railway men's compartment, he knocked loudly at the door.

"Oy! Steaming! Emerald! Wake up ya lazy gits and get back to work!" Shouted the man with a laugh, before advancing further along the train.

Both men yawned, stretching, before finally getting out of their seats, looking outside of the window, just to see a boxcar parked next to them.

"Looks like we're home." Muttered Emerald.

"Yeah. Back into the grit it is. Come on lad. Better get a move on and get our assignments, before Westing rips our heads off." Joked Steaming, as he opened the door, stepping into the gangway, followed by Emerald with a bit of a distance between them.

They walked across the yards, heading towards their home, only to stop after they walked around the last truck, seeing the track where the old coach had stood for years, overgrown and abandoned.

"You see what I'm seeing?" Asked Emerald, the shock in his voice evident.

"Yep. We've been robbed. Big time." Grumbled Steaming, as he looked around, seeing Hopper and a few other shunters sitting outside a small tool shed, smoking cigarettes and discussing Celestia knows what.

"Oy! Hopper!" Shouted Steaming, waving the man over.

"Hey, look at that! It's two jailbirds who've escaped! Let's catch them, maybe we'll get a reward for our heroism!" Joked the shunter, as Steaming rolled his eyes.

"You know we've been set free legally this time. What happened in the yards? Where is our coach?" Asked Steaming.

"You need to ask Westing. He wanted to speak to the two of you anyways once you've returned." Said Hopper, pointing into the direction of the sectors headquarters.

"Oh dear, let's just hope he won't rip us apart for the stuff we pulled the railway into." Muttered Emerald.

"Relax, we ain't fault for what has happened. He might scold us a bit, but he can't punish us for being framed a kidnappers." Chuckled Steaming, as they walked over to the large, brick building.

They walked into it, but were surprised when they got out on the other side, to see that the Ponystone engine that had derailed whilst they were driving her, had been left there, propped up on a foundation, and fenced off from the public.

"Looks like they made a monument out of our wreck." Chuckled Emerald.

"Hm, well, better than scraping her I suppose." Murmured Steaming as they climbed the stairs to the office of their superior.

They knocked, and walked in, being greeted by an eerie quiet.

"Steaming, Emerald. Take a seat." Came the calm voice of Westing, draining the color out of their faces. A quiet Westing House, usually meant danger.

"So, back from Canterlot?" Asked the road supervisor.

"Yes sir." Said the men, trying to keep their calm.

"You know, there were quite a few letters and telegrams coming in over the time you were gone. Plenty of which from higher ups, stating to immediately fire you two, or at the very least, restrict you to yard service until further notice." Explained Westing, as the duo cringed. The mere sound of being restricted to the yards again was bad for them.

"But yesterday, two further letters arrived, that changed plans. One for Emerald, and one regarding Steaming." Continued House, pulling out two envelopes, passing out one to each man.



They both opened them, and started reading them:



Dear Mr. Heart,



We are delighted to tell you, that you've been accepted to the Royal Celestial Academy for higher education in Canterlot. The semester begins on first of September, informations on your dorm and material will follow soon.



Signed, Almanac Knowledge, headmistress of the Royal Academy



Dear Mr. Whistle,



Following your courageous and extensive service for the Equestrian National Railway, you are hereby promoted to engineering duties in full time service, as well as transferred to Ponyville motive power depot. You'll be serving as new, permanent engineer for the local Branchline goods services.



Signed, Iron Spike, General Manager of the Equestrian National Railway



The two men stared at the the pieces of paper, processing the words on them, until they jumped up, high fiving each other, laughing heartily, cheering and dancing about the news.

"Steaming! This is it! This'll be my chance to make something out of me!" Laughed Emerald.

"I'm an actual engineer now! I'm going to run trains full time now! I'll be with Jacky for a whole month!" Cheered Steaming, while Westing beamed at the two young men.

They finally calmed down, when Steaming remembered something.

"Wait... If Emerald is going to the academy in Canterlot-"

"-and Steaming is leaving for Ponyville..." Picked up Emerald.

"Yep. Your going to leave Dodge Junction. That's why your coach left its siding. Iron Spike had phoned me yesterday to ask if the boys in the shops could get it back on its wheels again. They worked throughout the night to get it ready, but it's waiting in the shops for you to pick it up. It will be coupled to the next train to Canterlot." Said Westing with a slight sight.

Both Steaming and Emerald went quiet. They would leave the place they had called home for years now, all their friends and colleagues, their family. All left behind.

"Sir, this will be a hard departure." Said Steaming.

"You've done them plenty of times."

"But we always returned. This time, we'll be gone for good." Butted in Emerald.

"You'll get the chance again. You'll get onto the main network again sooner or later." Smiled Westing, but it was a sad smile.

"Sir, you've been somewhat of an father to us. The men in the yards, our brothers and uncles who taught us and helped us in everything we did. We'll never be able to repay you. Thank you sir. For everything you did for us." Said Steaming, shaking his hand, before he and Emerald were pulled into a hug, not one between friends, but one between a father and his sons.



The trio walked to the workshops, where the men were waiting, standing in front of their coach, it's bodywork repainted into chocolate brown, the handrails, both on the side of the wagon as well as the end balconies polished up, and the roof painted in a dull, but still perfectly fitting black. Steaming and Emerald stared with wide smiles at their home, coupled to an small saddle tank, it's brand new bogies proudly holding the upper bodywork of the vehicle.

"It's finished. There wasn't much to do anymore, you boys did a great job in rebuilding it. We screwed the inventory to the floor, so that it won't shift while it's moving. We also put some money together to buy each of you some farewell gifts." Smiled one of the workmen, pointing to four wrapped gifts.

"Oh guys, you shouldn't have! Our new wheels are more than enough!" Smiled Steaming.

"Nah, you guys are the children of these yards after all. The least we could do is to sent you off with flying colors!" Laughed a boiler smith, as Steaming and Emerald got their presents.

The two young men began to open the longer of the two, reviling two, brand new, bolt action rifles, with walnut stock, and bluish finishing.

"They are brand new, a new type of rifle they call Type 455. 5 round, detachable magazine, with an hair trigger and build to accept the attachment of scopes." Explained a riveter.

"Wow, look at these girls! Might be a bit of an downgrade compared to our Coltchesters, but by the look of things, they sure as hay outrange them by a few dozen yards!" Chuckled Steaming.

They moved on to the broader of the two gifts, and reviled two pieces of clothings. Steaming got a long, dark brown coat, while Emerald got a white lab coat.

"When we heard that you'd be attending that geology academy, we wanted to make sure that you wouldn't need to buy the coat yourself. It also got your initials stitched into it!" Said a shunter.

"We bought the coat when we saw you with that brown hat of yours. We thought it would look better while wearing something that matched it better." Explained one of the firemen that was with them.

"Thank you guys. All of you! We might be orphans, but with you lot, we've got the greatest family we could ever wish for!" Said Steaming, tears of happiness in his eyes.

"And you were the best kids we could've ask for!" Shouted one of the workers in the crowd, and they all agreed.

"Come on lads! You'll get the honor to bring your wagon onto its second maiden voyage!" Laughed the engineer of the saddle tank, and climbed down from the engine, making space for Steaming and Emerald.

They slowly reversed out of the workshops, and shunted the coach through the yards towards the station, where a string dark orange coaches stood, coupled to an foreign looking 4-4-0 tender engine, painted light blue. The engineer of the engine stood on the platform when he saw the coach being shunted to the back of his train, smiling broadly at the sight, walking to them with a short wave.

"Hello chaps, you finally finished your coach or What?" Asked the engineer, his black hair, tucked underneath his hat, his ocean blue eyes shining from behind his pair of glasses.

"Old Reliable! What are you doing here?! I thought you would only run trains as far as Ponyville these days!" Laughed Steaming, as he shook hands with the older engineer.

"Black Five is ill. Seems like his old sickness is coming back. I took his train down here, while Golden Dome is taking over his goods train."

"Bet he's fuming about that." Chuckled Emerald, just to hear and tremendous racket from down the line, before a red 2-6-0 clanked into the yards, pulling a string of trucks with him.

"I think that answers your question." Chuckled Old Reliable.

"We've been transferred, or better said, I've been transferred. I'll be the new engineer for branch line goods trains in Ponyville, and Emerald has been accepted to the Royal academy in Canterlot, and will start to study there in a few weeks." Explained Steaming.

"Oh, so this is farewell to Dodge Junction for now then? Well, we all have to go our own paths, that includes traveling to foreign places." Said Old Reliable. He always had a few words of wisdom to spare for others, and this time was no exception.

They kept talking for a few more minutes, before the older engineer needed to return to his engine. Steaming and Emerald climbed on board of their coach, staying on the rear balcony to get one, final look at Dodge Junction, before they would need to leave it for the longest time they ever been away from here. The guard blew his whistle, and Old's engine whistled, before beginning to move the train out of the station. Their train slowly chuffed out of the station throat, passing through the yards, where shunters and workmen waved at the moving train, whilst engines of all sizes blew their whistles. Passing the workshops, they could see countless workmen waving and cheering them on, some of them having tears in their eyes. The train picked up speed, exiting the yards, and hitting the main running line. They passed a training field from the Royal guards, where a row of six guards stood, with a seventh and final guard at the front of the line. He turned towards the train, smiling when he saw the final vehicle of the train.

"Nitro, do it." He ordered, as the Pontalian man smiled with glee, pulling out a box of matches, lighting one and lightened up a fuse.

A few seconds later, from behind the group, several loud explosions could be heard, followed by something, shooting into the air, before exploding in the sky. The two railway men looked in awe and wonder, as the words 'Goodbye S+E' were written into the sky, before vanishing from view just as quickly as they had appeared. Their eyes moved to the group in the field, seeing lieutenant Raton salute, whilst the others waved.

"Arrivederci!" Shouted Nitro.

"Auf Wiedersehen!" Boomed Wartburg.

"Au revior!" Called Jaque.

"Do swidanja!" Said Katyusha.

"Goodbye!" They all called simultaneously.

"Go show those guys some Junction might boys." Smiled Raton, before ordering his group back to base.



Jacky was having a pretty uneventful first day in Ponyville. She was staying at the local railway hotel, however, she just felt as if something was missing. She went outside for a short walk, which ended on the platform closest to the yards in the main station. Even though they had only been apart for a few hours, she already felt lonely without Steaming with her. She thought that, maybe he would've already taken the next train back up to Ponyville, but she knew it was only wishful thinking. The chances that Steaming would come back today were too slim to be even measured properly. The station announcer pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Arriving on track three is the 13:10 local to Canterlot from Dodge Junction. Please step away from the edge of the platform." Came the call, just as the sound of chuffing could be heard from the distance. 

After a further minute, the train glided into the station, stopping with an slight squeal of the brakes. The passengers quickly disembarked, while the new passengers jumped aboard. Jacky sighted when she saw no sign of her engineer, and sat down on one of the benches that stood on the platform. With the signal of the guards whistle, the train quickly departed out of the station, leaving behind an emptying platform, and a lonely girl. Jacky slowly rose out of her seat, her mind set on going back to her temporary home, to get settled in properly. That was until she heard the clanking of an coupling from behind her. She turned around, seeing a familiar, although more polished up, eight wheeled railway coach, being coupled up to an small shunting engine. She hurried across the platform, hoping to catch the wagon that was slowly being pulled backwards out of the station. She jumped onto the rail vehicle, losing her footing for a second, before catching herself again, standing on the rear balcony of the carriage. Walking up to the door, she knocked a few times, till she could hear the sound of footsteps from within the coach. The door opened, and reviled the confused form of Steaming, wearing a apron over his usual cloths, with the words 'the cook is on vacation, kiss the engineer instead' printed onto it. Jacky grinned broadly, and tackled her boyfriend with an deep, passionate kiss. After a few moments of shock, Steaming relaxed, and kissed Jacky back, both of them happy to see each other again.

"Glad to see me?" Asked Steaming cheekily, as they pulled away for some air.

"No, just following the orders of the apron." Replied Jacky, just as cheekily.

"Well, if that's all, I might just as well leave aga-" but he couldn't finish his sentence as Jacky kissed him once more.

"On the other side, I might be a little bit glad that you're back." Said Jacky, stressing the words  'might' and 'little' out.

"Hm, then I just have to make sure that, when I'm gone for longer than this, you'll miss me more." Smirked Steaming, and kissed her once more.

"Steaming! What are you doing man?! The food's going to burn!" Shouted Emerald from the kitchen, making them interrupt their little make out session.

"Oh yeah. The food..." Murmured Steaming, pulling himself and Jacky up again.

"You're cooking? I always thought Emerald was the cook." Chuckled Jacky as they walked towards the kitchen.

"You read the apron, didn't you? E is taking a break, I'm cooking today." Explained the engineer, although that was only half the truth. He actually wanted to improve his cooking skills, so that he could make some proper dishes when Jacky would visit them.

"And what's on today's lunch plan?" Asked the girl.

"Just some spaghetti with tomato sauce and meatballs, speciality of the chef." Winked Steaming.

"Mind if I join you then?"

"Not at all! The more the merrier, aye?" Laughed Steaming, as they walked into the kitchen, where Emerald was already putting some of the spaghetti onto two plates.

"Pull out another one, we've got a guest." Chuckled Steaming, while Emerald just rolled his eyes.

"Is she going to be a permanent visitor now? 'Cause if yes, I need to rearrange some stuff in the shelves." Asked Emerald, while Steaming and Jacky just exchanged a knowing look.

"Well, from the looks of things, I'd say she'll be visiting us plenty of times over the next few weeks." Chuckled Steaming, pulling Jacky closer to himself.

Emerald just huffed, and continued to put the spaghetti onto the plates. After each of the three got their servings, along with an bottle of apple cider they had stored in one of the cupboards, they started to dig in.

"So, how come you two are back already?" Asked Jacky.

"Long story short: I've been transferred, and Emerald has been accepted at the Royal academy in Canterlot. Thanks again for the heads up on enlisting there by the way." Said Steaming in between two bites.

"Told you that I'd do it. You just were too much occupied with think up on ways to tell your girl here that you're in love with here." Retorted Emerald, not looking up from his meal.

"So Emerald's going to leave for Canterlot soon?" Asked the girl.

"Yeah. Let's just hope you behave yourself up there. The lads up there probably don't know how to handle an oncoming goods train like yourself, if fed up enough." Smirked Steaming.

"Pah, just make sure you don't derail any of the goods trains on the branch lines. You tend to go off the rails pretty often these days!" Said Emerald, finally looking up at the engineer.

"Are you sure you're going to be fine?" Came Jackys voice again, making both men look at her.

"What makes you think we won't be?" Asked the two of them simultaneously.

"Well, you two were together for years now. Won't being apart be kind of... weird?"

"Nah, we're used to it. We might've lived together for quite a while, but that doesn't mean that we have been together all the time." Smiled Steaming.

"Yeah. Don't worry, we'll be right as rain." Added Emerald.

Jacky looked at both men. She knew they weren't speaking the truth. Sure, they thought they would be alright, but their hearts told a different story. She just hope they wouldn't get depressed by being away from each other...



After lunch, both Steaming and Emerald decided that it would be a good idea to check out the yard layout, as well as the rolling stock that was in the sheds. Ponyville was one of the smaller junction stations along the routes Canterlot-Dodge Junction, and Canterlot-Las Pegasus, where the mainline split to go to either one of the two terminal stations. As well as main line connections, Ponyville was the starting point of several smaller branch lines, which served villages and smaller towns in the nearer and further distance. As for this, the station had its own yards, sheds and servicing stations. The sheds were a large semi circle, with twelve berths for engines, along with a further ten additional, open tracks where engines could be stored outside of the building. Jacky stayed inside of the coach, saying she'd like to clean it up a bit, to which the two engineers couldn't argue, seeing that they never really cleaned it (except for bringing away the garbage). They walked through the partly filled yards, seeing a small, four wheeled saddle tank painted green with red stripes, shunting some trucks for another train. They soon neared the sheds, where they were surprised to see a familiar tank engine, with six small wheels, a short, stumpy funnel, a short, stumpy dome, painted in sky blue, with red lining, standing on a siding on the track next to the sheds. As they got closer, they could see a man about their age, with sky blue eyes and black hair, standing in the cab, his nosed pressed into a newspaper.

"Hello the, Mr. Number one! I thought you would already be on your way back to Canterlot after your morning 'run'." Asked Steaming cheekily, as the man put down his newspaper, his head going red with embarrassment, as he turned to the two men.

"And I thought you would be back in Dodge Junction by now!" Retorted Cinder Ashes, as he got down and greeted the two men.

"Nope, were no longer engineers for the Dodge Junction devision. I'm now engineer for Branchline goods duties up here, and Emerald is the newest student at the Royal academy in Canterlot." Explained Steaming.

"Wow, congrats to the both of you then! I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun on those Branchline runs. I'm still stuck in the yards until the fat director trusts me on longer runs." Sighted the man.

"Who?" Asked the two men.

"Sir Top Hat, he's the controller of the Canterlot devision, including Ponyville. You'll be seeing him sooner or later. We call him the fat director, but it isn't an insult, and more a showing of respect to his person, if you want to put it that way." Explained Cinder.

"Ah, now I see. So, you're waiting for your path back up to Canterlot or what?"

"Nah, I'm waiting for Puffball, he's shunting together some empties for me to take them back up there. Seems like the goods transportations are picking up around here." The canterlotian engineer smiled.

"Sounds good for us. More goods means more services for the railway after all." Chuckled Steaming.

A whistle from the yards sounded, and Cinders climbed back into his cab.

"True that. Well, seems like Puffball finished arranging my trucks. See you around." Smiled Cinders, and drove his engine over the turntable and into the yards.

Steaming and Emerald headed inside the sheds, looking at the engines that were resting for their turn on the lines. They saw several smaller tank engines, mostly diminutive 0-6-0 tank engines that were working on the branchlines since the beginning of the railways, but a duo of engines in the last shed rows perked their interest. They were larger, had longer boiler, tanks and frame, and a wheel arrangement more fitting for modern days goods traffic. The 2-8-2 tank engines had deep, black paint, with red wheels and white lining, gray side rods and brightly polished brass. They surely stood out from amongst the dirty, grimy tank engines in the sheds.

"Morning lads, how can I help you?" Asked a voice, as a man with blond hair and light blue eyes walked up to them, a smile on his face as he greeted them.

"Oh, we're just checking out the sheds inventory. Been transferred here today and wanted to see what I'll be working with soon." Explained Steaming.

"Ah yes, Whistle Steaming, right? Welcome to Ponyville MPD! Your engine will be 98 1401 over there." Said the man, pointing at one of the 2-8-2s.

"Pretty strange number for an engine."

"Well, they are imports from Germainy. They are here on trial, only arrived here a couple of days ago in fact. You'll be her first permanent engineer, so you'll better do a good job!" Winked the man.

"Hm, a foreigner aye? Let's see how they hold up against our own girls then!" Laughed the engineer, as he wanted to climb aboard the engine.

"Hold your horsepower lad, she hasn't got any steam up yet! Also, your not even added into the days roster! You'll be on duty tomorrow, you've got the rest of the day off!" Shouted the shedmaster, as Steaming stopped in his tracks.

"Another day without work?! Seriously?! That's nearly a weeks worth of holiday! Ugh, I can already feel my skills rusting." Groaned Steaming.

"Come on, it ain't that bad. You can at least check out the town. There's a bakery near the town center that makes the best cupcakes in this side of the country!" Exclaimed the man.

"Hm, suppose you're right. Ah well, nothing be done about it in the end. Well, till tomorrow mister..."

"Oh, my name is Journal Box, but friends just call me Jimmy." Smiled the man, as he walked back to a room labeled 'shedmaster'.

"So, care to check out that bakery?" Asked Emerald.

"Cakes, muffins, cupcakes and other baked goods, and all that at one place? Do you even have to ask?" Asked Steaming with an cheeky grin.

"That's my brother!" Laughed Emerald, as they quickly made their way back to their coach, to change into some more casual clothes.



They soon arrived, and saw Jacky, relaxing on the coach in the living room of the coach, reading in a book.

"Hey Jacky, we're back!" Exclaimed Steaming as he ripped the front door open.

"Hey you two! You could've told me that these books were good! I would've started reading them way sooner!" Smiled Jacky, as she held up a book.

Steaming looked at the cover and started to laugh. It was a book of 'Trinity' book series. Ever since they said that they loved the first book they had from the series, the yard workers gave them a book from the series to their birthdays, and Christmas. They had almost every book from the collection, except the newest book, 'Trinity and Bambi against the governor'. Jacky looked at him with an confused look on her face.

"What's so funny?" She asked.

"Nothing, just the fact that you are so perfect!" Laughed the engineer, before he pulled her from her seating place on the coach, and pulled her into a bear hug.

"Urgh, ain't you so sweet. Nearly gives me diabetes just from looking at you." Said Emerald with an gagging sound.

Steaming just gave him the finger in return.

"Shedmaster said I'm off duty for the rest of the day, and said that the town had a great bakery. Want to check it out?" Asked Steaming.

"I think I know which one you're talking about. I'll lead the way!" Grinned Jacky, and pulled her boyfriend with her through the door.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Emerald shouted, racing after the couple.

Author's Note:

And here is the second chapter of my double update! Told you that there would be no talking engines in the series. Didn't promise that they wouldn't be in the series as antropomorphed characters though ;) However, I won't be using their "Dark age" persona, but will concentrate on their Awdry original persona instead.

... why am I even writing this? 99% of you guys probably have no idea what I'm talking about anyways :P If yes, nice to have some fellow NWR fans around here as well!