• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 1,157 Views, 157 Comments

Hecate's Orphanage - BlackRoseRaven



Cadence and other ponies from across countless parallel worlds work together to protect their universe from monsters.

  • ...
22
 157
 1,157

PreviousChapters Next
Epilogue: Beyond Good And Evil

Epilogue: Beyond Good And Evil
~BlackRoseRaven

Thorn Blackfeather stood in a lonely gallery in Genesis, studying the painted glass windows that lined this beautiful hall, depicting the great heroes of the past. And no hero was greater than his mother, he thought, as he studied the image of Hecate.

The enormous unicorn absently adjusted the cusp of his mechanical foreleg, and then he swirled his cape back before he glanced to the side with a slight smile to the living shadow that had formed beside him. “It's been a while.”

“Helheim is vast. It took a long time to establish control.” answered the mare of darkness, before she asked softly: “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes. Stability has returned to the universe and the fabric of reality has healed. After a hundred years of no contact with the rest of the universe outside of the rare emergency, and after establishing a chain of permanent portals throughout the Clockwork Empire's facilities, we're ready to begin operations. The Clockwork Empire exists to protect the worlds against threats they cannot handle themselves.” Thorn smiled briefly. “And that's where you come in.”

The shadow smiled at him, shaking her head slowly before she said softly: “Aren't we repeating past mistakes?”

“Yes and no. But we need an enemy. A powerful enemy. Someone we can rally against. This benefits you as well: you get to do what Hel never was able to, invade the mortal plane... and you get to send you worst enemies against us, which we will eliminate for you.” Thorn answered, and the shadow smiled faintly. “You need the same. You need the respect of Helheim and its denizens. They need to be taught to listen to you before you can begin teaching them redemption. This... this is the best option. Aunt Silver and I both agree on that.”

“It's cruel, logical, and ingenious all at once. I feel proud of you. And also worried.” she said softly, and then she added gently: “Don't tell me not to worry. I am your mother.”

“Yes, I know. But Odin had Hel, and I have you. And your operations can protect worlds as well: you can detect and investigate threats on the mortal plane before I can, and use agents as 'lures' for us to detect, to give us a reason to move into a world without compromising our status.” Thorn paused, then he asked in a softer voice: “How are...”

“Good. They're settling into their new roles. We... all are. It's been thousands of years for us, Thorn, but... it's hard.” the shadow confessed, before she smiled faintly as she said quietly: “And there's so much to keep track of. Dozens of shadow-puppets across dozens of slices, all commanding countless demons. But at least unlike Hel, I can come and go as I wish from Underdark, if I ever need a break.”

Thorn nodded, and there was silence for a few moments before Morgan said softly: “Don't lose yourself, okay? I know that... what you've been pressed into is too much for any normal pony to bear. Ruling the Clockwork Empire, training the Orphans, looking after the Valkyries: even with Seneschal and Silver and your team of advisers-”

“I won't.” Thorn interrupted and promised, as he looked up and silently studied the painted window of Hecate. “Hecate taught me... power corrupts because we allow it to. But I will not fail her memory. And I won't fail you and Mutt and Dad, and everything you taught me.”

The shadow smiled faintly, and then she said: “You still wear your old Archive ring.”

“It reminds me of home. And it reminds me that... Emperor is only a title. In reality, nothing's changed: I'm still just a glorified administrator, responsible for all the mistakes and none of the glory.” Thorn answered with a smile, and the shadow puppet gave a soft chuckle.

There was silence between them for a few moments, as they only studied each other quietly, before the puppet simply vanished, and Thorn turned his eyes back to the painting. A few minutes later, his mechanical leg beeped wildly before a projection of a screen appeared beside him, Seneschal blurting: “We have a Class A alert from World 12-A!”

“Scramble Team 0-0 and a Nighthawk for a superjump.” Thorn ordered, and Seneschal winced and nodded.

“Yes, Emperor Thorn, immediately!”

Cadence grinned as she almost leapt into her armor, even as Moonflower whined: “I still don't see how portals in the air are good for any of us!”

“Oh shut up, pédé. Been explained a thousand times to you.” La Croix paused, before he added awkwardly as he slipped on the jumpchute pack: “I mean, okay, I don't really get it none neither, but. Still, been explained a thousand times.”

“It is because portals above the planet do less damage stay open for a shorter period, and are less likely to appear in an area that has already been weakened, as most events that damage reality take place on ground level.” Sombra explained, and both La Croix and Moonflower nodded awkwardly to the unicorn as he slipped his own pack onto his back: a back that was clear of any exoskeleton, as Sombra straightened with a smile to his daughter. “We are ready when you are, mi amore. And I must admit... it is exciting to be moving again.”

Cadence nodded in agreement before she looked around the prep room: for a hundred years, they had only been here for drills, and once or twice to scramble for a major emergency. This was their first real deployment in a century, and it meant... everything's coming back together. We're getting back to doing what we were meant to do.

“Saving people. Hunting things.” Danzsöngr said, and she smiled at Cadence, who smiled amusedly back before the Swan said quietly: “I am excited. We will learn more. We shall continue to grow. We will-”

“Okay, great, I get it. We're all ready.” Cadence paused, then she suddenly thrust a hoof out, shouting: “Who are we?”

The others fell in immediately, one, two three hooves, and a metal claw, as they all said together: “Irregulars!”

“That's right, and we're still the goddamn best! Now let's move out! The Nighthawk will take us to the jump point, and this time, Moonflower, I don't want to have to throw you out of the ship!” Cadence shouted as she turned and led them out, nodding to the Valkyrie guarding the room as she passed, and the Replicant mare grinned before she reached out and swatted Moonflower's rump as he walked out, making him squeak and scamper after Cadence as La Croix and Sombra followed with amused smiles.

Cadence rolled her eyes, but then she turned to face forward with a smile. She wouldn't have it any other way, or any other life but this one, lived in the neon city of Exoterra, in the mechanical halls of the Clockwork Empire. They fought the good fight, protecting other worlds from evils they couldn't face themselves, standing up against monstrous creatures and horrifying odds.

It was all worth it: not just because it was good, or it was right, or because it was what she had been made to do, but because it was what had brought her family together. It was what kept them strong. It was what had taught them to value each other, each and every day and shown them that together, they could overcome even the most impossible odds.

And as Cadence and Danzsöngr traded a look, she thought that it was also what had taught her to accept herself, and that no matter what happened, she would never have to be afraid of being alone.

She was the Swan.

And here, in Clockwork World, she was free.

To be worthy of love,
You must first love yourself.

PreviousChapters Next