• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 1,150 Views, 157 Comments

Hecate's Orphanage - BlackRoseRaven



Cadence and other ponies from across countless parallel worlds work together to protect their universe from monsters.

  • ...
22
 157
 1,150

PreviousChapters Next
The Chaff And The Grain

Chapter Sixty Seven: The Chaff And The Grain
~BlackRoseRaven

Hecate stood at the front of a crowded auditorium: every seat was taken, and plenty of ponies – and not-ponies, at that – were seated on the stairs or standing at the back of the hall. Hecate herself was calm, in spite of the fact that she not only had countless eyes gazing down at her from the seats, but there were quite a few faces displayed on the monitor behind her: the faces of Decretum's various backers, gods and other entities who had provided resources, equipment, and other favors to the Clockwork Empire.

“We are all present, Empress Hecate. Would you like to begin the meeting?” asked one of the faces from the monitor politely, although clearly with the intent of hurrying things along as well. Not that Hecate minded, as she nodded before calmly raising her head, not bothering to face the row of screens: they couldn't see her, anyway. The screens were more for show than anything else, so that the rest of this audience could see, for the first time, just how many backers Decretum had: how many hands fed the Clockwork Empire, and how many faces expected them to serve, to some extent.

“I have called this emergency meeting to discuss the recent attack on Decretum, by none other than Loki of the Aesir.” Hecate said clearly, gazing calmly over her attentive audience. “I have granted permission to all allies who participated in the defense of Decretum to attend as well, as a courtesy for their cooperation. I will hold a discussion with them afterwards on these events, but for now I wished to speak to the council on the subject of Loki, and what Decretum will require.”

“Hel is missing. Hel is gone.” said a soft voice, and Hecate smiled mirthlessly before that voice added: “Hel and Helheim were your greatest champions for this project, Lady Hecate. From what we have seen, you have failed to live up to expectations and you have-”

“This is not the subject up for debate. Nor am I here to make excuses or to shift blame or play politics. I am not a political organization and Decretum is an Empire, not a democracy.” Hecate interrupted coldly, before she rose her head and continued bluntly: “I require assistance, and I also wish to know who among you will still stand behind me, and who wishes to leave.”

There were rumbles from the council, before another voice said coldly: “Do not overstep your bounds, Hecate. Your world is a broken one, mangled by Loki's attacks. Helheim is in disarray and chaos-”

“That is not my problem. My concern is the physical plane. I have protected and will continue to protect these worlds, by any means necessary.” Hecate said shortly, before she added ruthlessly: “Do not forget that our relationship has been mutually beneficial so far. If you withdraw your support, our terms become neutral. If you act against me, I will not hesitate to label you as an enemy, and to treat you as such.”

“Do you presume to threaten us?” asked another voice from the monitors angrily. “We are gods! We are older, stronger, wiser-”

“You are neither stronger nor wiser than me. And I will continue to do whatever is necessary to protect these worlds, that is all.” Hecate interrupted fearlessly. “Do not overstep your own bounds. Some of you are gods that have no business interacting with these worlds. Your existence and meddling is permitted purely because of a footnote in a contract. Terminate our contract, and you terminate your privileges.”

There were more mutters from the screens, before one of the voice said callously: “You are no longer backed by Hel. Your threats are meaningless. You do not have-”

“I do not make idle threats. I have given you a choice, and I await your decision. I am not asking for help because I believe Decretum is in dire need of your aid: I am asking for your help because I wish to know who my allies are.” Hecate said, her head held high, her eyes scanning the audience slowly. “But Decretum will always survive. The Clockwork Empire will persevere, and thrive in spite of all who try and destroy it.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then a voice said contemptibly: “So be it, Empress Hecate. May you live to understand the folly of your ways.”

A panel of the screen went black, and more followed: one, then three, then seven, until more than half of the backers had vanished. But Hecate only smiled thinly, her head still raised high, her eyes focused on the audience in front of her before she asked calmly: “And what about the rest of you?”

There was silence for a few moments, before a voice asked gently from the screen: “Is driving off your allies truly the wisest course of action, Lady Hecate? I do not believe victory has made you arrogant, but we thought you above lashing out like a wounded animal...”

“And I am. You see, councilor, I have before me all the allies and friends I will ever need to ensure that Decretum and all it stands for remains strong, for many years after I pass on my legacy.” Hecate said in a gentler voice, as she looked out over the audience before she gave a brief smile. “I do not need rats or cowards who will betray me. Driving away false friends is even more important for Decretum's health than playing politics and keeping enemies close. As I said before, I am not asking for assistance because I believe Decretum requires it: I am asking for assistance because I wish to know who my friends are.”

There was a thoughtful murmuring for a few moments, before a voice asked: “Then what would you ask us to provide, Empress Hecate?”

“Resources and equipment. Workers, if possible: I do not require soldiers, but people who can be trained in repairing Decretum machinery and structures that were damaged in the attack.” Hecate answered.

There were rumbles from the screens, before a voice questioned curiously: “And do you expect us to provide these things pro bono?”

“No. I am willing to negotiate new terms or trade. I can also offer payment in treasure or artifacts.” Hecate replied, and there were more thoughtful murmurs from the screen before the mare added softly: “And of course, I can also promise that your kindness and generosity in these matters will not be forgotten. Decretum takes care of its allies.”

For a moment, there was only thoughtful silence, before a voice submitted: “Greater Heaven will provide one hundred able servants, but in return we desire a place wherein which we can build a chapel, from which we may speak of the Light to all whom desire to listen.”

“If the Pious are willing to assist with rebuilding Imperia, then I will designate a portion of land for them to build whatever they desire.” Hecate answered with a slight smile, in spite of how there were a few visible shifts in the audience at her words.

For a while, Hecate negotiated with the council, but by the end of her meeting with her backers, she had managed to arrange a fair share of new treaties with her remaining allies. But for Hecate, the real meeting had yet to begin as she turned her attention fully on her audience as the screens all flickered off behind her, cutting the link to the council as a voice asked loudly from the crowd: “So you really think that highly of us, huh?”

“Shut up, Antares. I will not repeat myself.” Hecate said distastefully, to a few mumbles and a laugh or two. Then the Jötnar mare stepped forwards to the edge of the stage, leaning out and saying in a quieter voice: “What I believe is in the strength of the people gathered here today, as I believe in the strength of my own people. Valthrudnir did not fail because the Dogmatists were incapable or flawed: he failed because he failed to utilize them to their fullest potential, abandoning them as a 'failed project' when they, and Decretum as a whole, did not magically become precisely what he wanted it to.”

Hecate looked out over the audience, and then she said clearly: “I am not Valthrudnir, but I am his inheritor, and as you are all aware by now, I have found a way by which to activate his dormant powers. I am willing to listen to your concerns on this, and on any other problems you might have with my Decretum project.”

“Yeah, Hecate, so like... what's up with the color scheme? Seriously, everything's so gloomy and industrial. I think if you put in a little bit of blue, and-”

Hecate moodily rose a hoof, and Antares yelped as he was lifted out of the crowd, then flung straight down into the ground with a loud thunk as ponies staggered away and stared in disbelief.

There was a moment of silence, and then Hecate asked irritably: “Do we have any serious concerns to address?”

“Yeah, I got one.” grumbled a voice, and Hecate glanced moodily up to see Cowlick sitting near the front with her son, the demonic mare puffing grumpily away on a cigarette. “Engineering was completely trashed. Not just because of that Worker Drone malfunction – which wasn't no malfunction, let's all just be honest about that, someone hacked your systems real good – but because Elementals managed to swarm in through the vents. And oh, there's the whole Tyrant Wyrm thing, too.”

“Aye. I do not like to speak with malice, but I agree, Hecate. The Tyrant Wyrms... they cannot be trusted.” added a strong male voice: Sleipnir, Hecate thought, but even she was struck by how devoid of cheer he sounded. “Loki, my... brother, can exert too much power over them. They are not machines. They serve the Void first.”

“Tyrant Wyrms are unfortunately a necessary part of Clockwork World. They will, however, require... maintenance and upgrading, and until then, all our Tyrant Wyrms are currently on lockdown.” Hecate paused, then turned her eyes back towards Cowlick. “As to engineering, I've already designated several Dogmatists to perform repairs. I also plan to move all major operations to Endworld, where you will have access to new facilities.”

“Hey, so long as I get my labs and you leave me the hell alone, I'm good.” Cowlick replied, although there were a few surprised murmurs through the crowd at Hecate's announcement.

Hecate turned her attention back to the rest of the audience, letting the mumble for a little while before she explained calmly: “Endworld is not a part of the chain of worlds, but sits apart, connected only to Decretum. While I have operated mainly out of Decretum, due to the ease of portals and movement, Endworld was in a better state structurally-speaking, and several colonies are operational there, although currently staffed only by Worker Drones.

“Decretum needs to be repaired, and it is also clearly vulnerable to Loki. We have suffered a traitor, through either false promises or Void tampering, and I cannot be entirely certain how much of Decretum has been compromised.” Hecate continued. “While Decretum is repaired and the systems flushed and recalibrated, it would be best to move to a location better equipped to deal with the Voidborn. Furthermore, Decretum will still remain online and operation, with the support of Dogmatists, drones, and of course, the Hexad Army.”

“Aye, the Hexad. Just how long hast thou had these fiends hidden under some rock?” asked a cranky voice Hecate recognized all too well. But she supposed that Brynhild, of all ponies, would have reason to dislike the Hexad. “And I do not know what vexes me more: that thou hast not used them before now, or that thou hast created so many of these dollies.”

“They are clones, not dolls. They've been in production in an automated facility to the north for some time now, in case of an emergency like this.” Hecate said, before she gestured quickly to the side, calling up a series of holographic screens that displayed each of the different Hexad units. “I recovered the genetic libraries of Courage, Valor, Beauty, Delight, and Prudence from the ruins of the Atrium. I was unable to manufacture a compatible Wisdom model, but as you are aware-”

“Aye, we are very aware of the Hexad, and what these tortured souls are.” Luna Brynhild grumbled, before she asked irritably: “Hast thou at least the morality to purge their minds? And what of the living bodies, the-”

“Their bodies are long gone. The genetic libraries were taken from reconstructed data, not organics.” Hecate said calmly, but it was enough to settle Luna, she felt. And she felt something else as well, something that almost confused her, as she asked quietly: “Tell me. How is it that you of all ponies can be concerned with my treatment of a few scraps of meat, but unconcerned with the fact that I have taken on the powers of your greatest enemy?”

“Because I trust Thorn.” came Morgan Heldottir's voice, and Hecate sighed inwardly and did her best to hide a smile.

“Thorn Blackfeather is not as infallible as you think. For all his virtues, he has many of the same flaws as his birth parents.” Hecate said softly, and she could feel the swell of pride and gratitude from Luna and Morgan, before she shook her head. “As you have attracted my attention, let me ask you this: with the Archives no longer a threat to you, what do you plan to do?”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Luna Brynhild said quietly: “Hecate... if this is thy way of asking for our help, then know it is a stupid and embarrassing question, because it is not something thou needs to ask. It is something we have already given to thee.”

“Aye... aye! As we will all fight with thee, Hecate!” shouted Sleipnir suddenly from the crowd, and Hecate admittedly had to swallow a bit of a smile at the ripple of ponies that were knocked flying when Sleipnir leapt to his hooves as he declared: “Aye, I have family! Family I love, family whom loves me, family I shall fight, and die gladly beside! And Hecate, if thou allows me to fight with thee against this foe, will thou promise me that, should I be given the chance to reach out to my brother, thou shalt allow it?”

“I will not deny it. But if the chance comes before then to eliminate him as a threat, I will take that. And should he refuse your kindness and remain hostile, I will not hesitate to exterminate him and all who serve him, either.” Hecate responded.

Sleipnir chuckled quietly, then he nodded and smiled as he rose a hoof to Hecate, exclaiming: “Aye, thou knows the meaning of family, does thou not! And I must say, thou does not look half so terrible...although even in thy hulking steel embrace, thou wert-”

Hecate moodily flicked a hoof, and Sleipnir popped out of existence, teleported to some random corner of Decretum as the Jötnar mare said shortly: “Let's get back on track.”

Cadence grumbled under her breath as she prepared her equipment: almost the moment they had strode into Decretum, they had been given orders to prepare to serve as Thorn Blackfeather's escort to Looking Glass World, where they would also apparently be meeting with several ponies. Antares and Prestige would be joining them, which Cadence didn't mind, but apparently the Valkyrie and her partners wanted to come, too, and that was something Cadence was much less enthusiastic about.

At least it gave her an excuse to ignore Thesis for a little while. He kept poking and prodding her, asking her questions, talking about his stupid dumb self...

She glowered over at him, but Thesis was tapping away at his Mission Drive, talking with Seneschal about something to do with computers that she didn't understand. He was pretty smart, she had to admit: he didn't seem like it, but he had a sharp mind and he seemed to understand a lot of the technical aspects of Decretum that Cadence still had a lot of difficulties with.

He was handsome, too: he took decent care of himself, but he wasn't always primping or playing with his mane like Shining had. He was obviously aching, and he needed that strange exoskeleton to keep himself moving, but he never seemed to complain... well, I mean, he complains, but he hides how much it really hurts. But I can... see it. I can see him. I can see into him through the Astra...

Cadence let her eyes focus a little more, curious about just what she could see, and then her eyes widened slightly as she saw him. She understood him. And...

She blushed a little, and then her blush deepened when Thesis looked over at her before he gave a wide grin and winked, posing as he said loudly: “Yeah, Seneschal, just a second, I got this totally hot mare checking me out. I have to pose for her.”

Cadence glared at him as her cheeks burned crimson, spinning quickly around as she grumbled: “You shut the hell up, we still have to go meet Thorn and... all those other dumb ponies and then go to Looking Glass World or whatever they call it.”

“Don't worry, just about finished.” Thesis replied with a smile, looking with both amusement and curiosity at Cadence before he shrugged as he returned his attention to the holographic screen in front of him, following Seneschal's silent instructions. “We'll go on our date once we get there. I think Thorn will need some time to settle in, and, you know, it's really rude to show up and demand appointments. Let them know we're coming. That's a diplomacy 101 trick.”

“It is not. And I never agreed to a date with you.” Cadence mumbled, before she glanced hesitantly over her shoulder and asked: “Doesn't it bother you that I'm... I don't know. Divorced, some kind of killing machine, and... I don't know... just...”

She quieted, and Thesis frowned as he looked up from the screen at her, Cadence silently rubbing at herself as she looked down and murmured: “I'm only half-me. Less than that, really. My body isn't my own. The Swan is in here, the Swan rules, and... you... you're not...”

She looked down, rubbing silently at her foreleg as she mumbled: “You don't deserve me.”

I don't think anyone deserves to be stuck with me. I don't think anyone should be punished like that. I almost killed Daddy. I abandoned my husband. I dragged my only friends and family through a nightmare, and in the end...

Thesis gently touched her shoulder, and Cadence looked up as the stallion smiled as he leaned in and said quietly: “So we won't go to a restaurant. We'll have a picnic. I think that'd be cool, right? Because I just want to spend some time alone with you, getting to know you.”

Cadence looked back at the stallion for a few moments, and then she laughed a little as she lowered her head and looked away, mumbling: “Sure. If it'll get you to leave me alone.”

Thesis smiled again, before he glanced up as another pony approached, raising his head slightly and greeting: “Hey, uh... Moonflower, right?”

Cadence rose her head in surprise, turning to see Moonflower striding nervously towards them, an uncomfortable smile on his face. She frowned a little at him, tilting her head towards him, but Moonflower either didn't see or pretended not to as he rambled: “Well, yes, hello uh... hello there, Thesis, you're... looking quite handsome! And you, Cadence, you're very handsome... I mean pretty! Beautiful! Radiant!”

“Moonflower, shut up. Are you coming with us to see Thorn?” Cadence asked, and Moonflower visibly deflated before he gave a lame smile, and after a moment the mare said softly: “He'd be really happy to see you.”

“I... I don't...” Moonflower shifted back and forth, and then he lowered his head and mumbled: “I'm... I'm an awful coward. I heard... I just heard that... he is alright, isn't he? He's going to be alright, won't he?”

“Thorn's strong. He'll pull through this.” Thesis promised without hesitation, and Cadence looked up in surprise: it sounded like the stallion really believed that, even though she had heard herself that...

But Thesis smiled, stopping those thoughts in their tracks as he turned back to Moonflower to say quietly: “He'd really like to see you. I know that he would. He'll probably be a little out of sorts, but... you can be strong for him too, right?”

Moonflower nodded firmly as he straightened, awkwardly staggering to a standing position before he said quickly: “Yes, of course I can, I'm... I'm perfectly fine!”

The bandages across Moonflower's body begged to differ, but Cadence only smiled a little. “I guess our team was spared the worst of the fighting: makes me feel awful, though. You'd think the best team in Decretum would have played a bigger role in actually defending their home.”

“We'll make up for it. Or at least you will. I don't know what will happen to the rest of us, but... you've certainly got a future here, Cadence.” Moonflower said with a smile, although the tired look in his eyes made Cadence feel a little worried for him.

She didn't have too much time to think on things, however, as Thesis prodded gently: “Well, maybe we should all just get going, then, and try to make the best of things.”

Moonflower nodded, and Cadence decided to just go along with them for now, letting Thesis take the lead, the black unicorn following almost nervously after him as he said almost nervously: “I do... I certainly want to be a good... I mean...”

“Hey, don't stress. We've all been busy, and Thorn's needed his rest. But he'll be glad to see you.” Thesis encouraged, giving Moonflower a slight smile.

The unicorn chewed uncomfortably on his lip, but then he nodded a little and gave a lame look in return, visibly trying to puff out his chest as he gave a weak little laugh. He didn't say anything else as they made their way to where Thorn was being kept in an isolated room, which made Cadence feel a little more worried for her friend and teammate than she wanted to admit.

They reached Thorn's room in good time: then again, there weren't a lot of distractions on the way. Most of the Dogmatists had been dispatched to repairing other structures, and Orphans were running double duty if they weren't in recovery, as far as Cadence was aware. She was only glad that they didn't run into Luna Brynhild and her little posse on the way: she figured that was the last thing Moonflower needed. Or maybe it was just the last thing she needed.

She began to step forwards, then scowled as Thesis slipped in front of her, tossing a pointed look over his shoulder at her as Moonflower lingered nervously in front of the door. But after a moment, Cadence relented, and Thesis smiled at her gratefully before he turned his eyes back to Moonflower and encouraged gently: “Go on inside. And remember. Be strong, right?”

“Yes... I will be. I mean, I am!” Moonflower said quickly, smiling lamely over his shoulder at them, and Cadence couldn't help but note the way that Thesis subtly shifted to half-block her from Moonflower's sight. The black unicorn hesitated for a few moments, but then he turned back towards the door and took a slow breath before he knocked nervously, then yelped when Thesis prompted: “Let yourself in. We'll be right out here.”

Moonflower hesitated, but then meekly tapped his horn against the door once before he opened it and walked through, letting it slide shut behind him. Cadence frowned curiously at Thesis' back, and the Replicant smiled as he turned to her after a moment, shrugging briefly before he said softly: “He depends on you. Your whole team does. You have to remind them they're individuals, though, Cadence, and independent. You can't mommy them forever.”

“You're one to talk.” Cadence shot back, and Thesis simply shrugged amiably before Cadence sighed and added in a mumble: “I guess I just... worry about Moonflower. He's so...”

Thesis only smiled, then he looked back towards the closed door, murmuring: “People are people, Cadence. It's funny how well you can get to know someone, how much time you can spend with them, and then realize... you never really knew how strong they were until too late to celebrate it.”

Inside, Moonflower silently approached the metal bed where Thorn was laying, the sapphire stallion staring emptily at the ceiling before he turned his head ever so slightly as Moonflower whispered: “H-Hello.”

“Moonflower... I'm not... fit to be seen.” Thorn said quietly, half-rolling away and shivering as he hugged himself. He wanted to lash out, to shout, to scream, to cry, and he clenched his eyes shut as he grasped at his freshly-bandaged stump, feeling that poison boiling in his veins, begging, pleading to be let out. “Please... leave.”

For a moment, Moonflower bit his lip, trembling a little, before he leaned forwards on his hooves and whispered meekly: “No.”

There was silence for a few moments as Thorn shifted a little, clenching his eyes shut before the black unicorn took a nervous step forwards, saying in a low, anxious voice: “I've... I've been so worried and such a b-bad... I don't know. I care about you. I'm your c-c-c-colt... friend. I am.”

“I don't have any expectations of you, Moonflower.” Thorn whispered as he shifted away, facing the wall: not because he didn't want to see the stallion, but because it was easier. It was just easier to turn away. To not look at Moonflower. To have his back to the world, so he could keep pretending he was in control. “I am not worth the time or effort. Please leave. I am... leaving. I will be gone soon. I will... stay gone.”

“Stop it, Thorn. Please. Please stop.” Moonflower almost begged, the unicorn striding quickly forwards, but then flinching and skidding to a halt, wide-eyed, as Thorn rolled over with a furious snarl, his eyes blazing and black ooze leaking through his bandages-

Thorn clenched his jaw and his eyes, breathing slowly through his nose before he sat up and lowered his head, muttering: “I need you to leave. You need to leave. You don't belong here.”

“I love you.” Moonflower blurted, and Thorn stared at the black unicorn, who trembled before he rose his head and whispered: “I love you. Please stop pushing me away.”

Thorn trembled, lowering his head as black tears filled his eyes, before he clenched his eyes shut and whispered: “I don't know what I feel.”

“Please tell me. Please let it out.” Moonflower took a hesitant step closer, and Thorn smiled faintly as he shook his head, tears spilling down his cheeks.

“I am flawed. I am broken. I am not... worth your affection.” he replied in a low, beaten voice, but Moonflower only laughed faintly. “I betrayed you. I am... I'm not the Thorn you loved anymore.”

“No, I see you, right there. Right there.” Moonflower said emphatically, as he took another step forwards before he smiled faintly as he drew in close, looking up at Thorn with overbright eyes, filled with crystalline tears; beautiful eyes, Thorn thought, so clear even through the murk falling from his own. Moonflower had hidden so much of himself, but those eyes... those were eyes that told only the truth. “Please...”

“I kissed Necrophage.” Thorn said almost abruptly, and Moonflower visibly winced, but then he smiled faintly and shook his head. “I don't... know what I feel. I... I hurt. I want to hurt. I... I want you to go away!”

Thorn shouted the last in a raw, suddenly-furious voice as he brought his hoof back, as if to strike the stallion, but Moonflower only looked up at him silently before he leaned suddenly forwards and embraced Thorn fiercely around the neck, burying his face against him as he whispered: “I promise that I'm not going to let go.”

Thorn shivered for a few moments, and then he simply slumped in Moonflower's grip, staring across the room as tears cascaded down his muzzle, and he whispered: “I... I don't want to be broken. But I don't want to be fixed, either. I just want to die. I want to die. I don't want to live like this. I can't live... like this. I am worthless like this.”

“You're never worthless. Never, ever, ever...” Moonflower said roughly, as he squeezed fiercely into Thorn, trembling as he held himself tightly against the stallion. “You're... you're going to be fine. You're strong, and you're going to be just fine! And... and I'm going to help you get there, no matter what!”

Moonflower leaned back, nodding firmly, looking both determined and child-like as he gazed into Thorn's eyes and forced himself to smile, in spite of the way his eyes where shimmering with unspent tears. “I won't let go, and I won't let you give up and... and that's just the way it is! You're... you're going to go and... get better and... I'll... I'll come and help you and... I'll be there with you every step of the way!”

Thorn looked silently at Moonflower for a few moments, and then he closed his eyes as he slowly let his head fall back, shivering a little as dark poison leaked from his stump, the trails of darkness over his face becoming flakes of crystal as he said weakly: “It hurts.”

“I know. But you're strong. You've always been so strong.” Moonflower answered, as he squeezed the stallion fiercely around the neck, breathing slowly in and out before he pushed his head against Thorn's chest, both taking and offering comfort with the contact as he murmured: “I'll be strong for you, too, Thorn Blackfeather. Then... then you don't have to try so hard, but we'll get there all the same, okay?”

“Okay.” Thorn murmured, and he lowered his head as they sat in silence for a little while.

Finally, Thorn creakily pushed Moonflower back before he slipped off the table, saying quietly: “I apologize for my outbursts. I... a course of action is already set, Moonflower. You don't need to be here, you don't need to-”

Moonflower leaned in and silently kissed Thorn, and Thorn's eyes widened for a moment before they slipped closed as he returned the kiss, delicate and almost ginger, but as Moonflower drew back, the stallion pushed forwards, holding the kiss for a moment longer, letting his sharp teeth graze Moonflower's lips before he pulled back and blushed a little, his eyes roving downward as he murmured: “Thank... thank you.”

“I... I'll come with you.” Moonflower smiled, raising his head a little higher as he added brashly: “I don't care what anyone says, I'll come with you!”

“Anyone?” asked a mild voice, and Moonflower paled as he spun around to see Hecate standing in the now-open doorway, the Jötnar mare focusing her gaze on the black unicorn as he blanched a little. “I have other orders for you.”

Moonflower trembled as Thorn closed his eyes, before the sapphire stallion looked up in surprise as Moonflower shakily stepped forwards and said: “I... I think that it's more important I spend the time with Thorn!”

Hecate looked evenly across at Moonflower, and Moonflower looked back at the imperial mare before he whispered, as he lowered his head ever so slightly: “Please. Let me go with him.”

“Fine. But I will be assigning you work orders all the same, Moonflower, and I expect you to get these jobs done to my satisfaction.” Hecate replied evenly, and Moonflower brightened like a star before he winced and dropped flat when Hecate leaned forwards and glared at him. “Get out.”

Moonflower hurriedly scrambled forwards past the mare, then yelped when Hecate booted him out the door just as he started to turn around, before the electronic door slammed shut on his face. Hecate rolled her eyes, before she turned towards Thorn as the sapphire stallion said quietly: “I don't know what to do.”

“I'll tell you a secret, Thorn.” Hecate strode forwards, reaching up to silently stroke her son's face before she smiled at him faintly. “None of us really do.”

Thorn nodded briefly, before he closed his eyes and murmured: “It's easier to keep my emotions in check after I sleep. It must have to do with my body chemistry.”

“It just is what it is, Thorn. If you have the answer, sometimes that's enough.” Hecate replied gently, and Thorn nodded a few times before he glanced up as the mare asked quietly: “Do you want Moonflower to come with you?”

“Yes, and no. I'm angry at him, for no reason. I'm angrier with myself, for kissing Necrophage.” Thorn halted, frowning as he looked down before he whispered: “I care about them both. But...”

Thorn shivered, then he snarled in disgust: “Do I choose the mincing faggot or the broken circuit? One is just a toy shaped like a mare and the other is nothing but a pathetic... a...”

Thorn shivered again, almost falling over as his legs quaked beneath him and he stared at the ground, before he whispered: “I don't deserve either.”

“You deserve someone who will make you happy. Don't question yourself or your feelings for either of them. I will support you, whatever you choose.” Hecate said gently, and Thorn looked up at her before the Jötnar mare said, her tone soft and compassionate: “Thorn, you will always be my son, and I have never loved you more than I love you now, here, in this very moment.”

“When I'm at my weakest, when I'm closest to being a monster? When I...” Thorn shivered as he grasped at his stump, whispering: “When I hate, everyone I love...”

“Yes, Thorn. Because this is also when you will prove your strength. You can either give in, give up, and be weak, Thorn Blackfeather, or you can be strong, in spite of everything.” Hecate said calmly, as she leaned down and looked almost challengingly into Thorn's eyes, and he gritted his teeth as he felt anger flare through his body, shivering violently even as he bared his fangs and leaned back up into the mare's face. “Are you weak? Or are you my son?”

“I am... Thorn Blackfeather.” the stallion replied after a moment, taking a slow breath even as his eyes flashed, before he slowly forced himself to sit back. He reached up, rubbing trails of black crystal and dust away from his face, his stump flexing at his side as if he was trying to hug himself as the stained bandages writhed for a moment. But then they settled, and he straightened a little as he said quietly: “I'm ready.”

“I know you are.” Hecate leaned down and kissed gently beside his horn, before she turned around and headed for the door. It opened, and Thorn grimaced as he carefully followed Hecate out into the hallway, blinking a bit under the lights that seemed so bright compared to the dimness of the room.

He saw his parents, and Cadence and Thesis, and Moonflower, and Antares and Prestige and Innocence; and gods, the whirl of emotion that ran through him, it hurt. He swayed a little on the spot, but caught himself and made himself breathe as he reached up to press his forehoof against his face, sitting back for a moment before he nodded once and murmured: “Okay.”

“Hey, great to see you made it! I was getting worried you were going to sleep away the day and miss out on coming home!” Antares said warmly, before he winked and added: “Lots of other people are eager to see you, too, but I told them that they'd have to wait at least until we got through the portal. But hey, you got a big family... remember that. There's a lot of us here, and all of us... want to make sure we do what we can to help you get well.”

“Yeah, I mean. I guess you kind of are the baby of the family now.” Innocence added in a grumble, and then she hesitated before adding grudgingly: “But... yeah, we'll take care of you and stuff, and... you know. Stuff.”

“Wonderful, Sin, I think I'm going to cry.” Antares said mildly, before he wheezed when Prestige elbowed him firmly.

Thorn gave the briefest of smiles, before Thesis surprisingly stepped forwards, saying briskly: “Well, we're all on a schedule, right, Mom? Also I'm the regent now so all of you have to listen to me until we're out of Decretum. We have a portal already being prepped, and it should be ready to go to take us to Subterra, I believe.”

“Aye, and we shall all go together, and we shall all get along perfectly well together, for today. Is that not right, Swan?” Luna said loudly, glaring over at Cadence, and Cadence resisted the urge to glare back, instead forcing herself to look away and ignore the Valkyrie.

Luna began to open her mouth, but then she squawked instead when Scrivener grasped the back of her collar, half-yanking her into the air as Morgan said gently: “We're all here for you, Thorn. And I'm sure we'll see plenty of each other. We'll be moving back and forth between worlds quite a bit, but... family's the most important thing, isn't it?”

“Something I think we can all agree on.” Thesis said with a smile, and then he walked over to Thorn, saying gently: “Set the pace.”

Thorn looked for a moment at Thesis: part of him wanted to lash out furiously, and part of him wanted to cry, and part of him just wanted to collapse, here and now, and surrender to everything. But instead of giving in to any of those things, Thorn forced himself to nod before he faced ahead and said quietly: “Let's not keep Seneschal waiting.”

Thorn led without leading, turning to set the pace as the rest of the group fell into a loose escort cordon around him. Cadence couldn't help but sneak glances out now and then, however: not just at Thorn, but at the other ponies with them, how they all acted around the Regent and each other.

Hecate was so motherly with Thorn. So maternal and so tender, unashamed and unfettered by the presence of the other ponies, but immediately becoming her old cold, commanding self whenever she needed to give an order or get someone back in line. Thesis was loyal, staying forward enough to remain in the lead, but catching Thorn's eye every time he looked up to offer him a smile, and never flinching when Hecate glared at him... and never missing the hints of smiles from his mother.

Luna Brynhild was loud and boisterous, but in a way that deflected the attention from her child: all three of his parents were protective, and they worked together with a strange harmony. It was more than just whatever link they shared: they played off each other, their personalities always clashing but never conflicting: Morgan and Scrivener weren't nearly as loud as the mare, but they both had their own ways of drawing attention away from their son, and comforting him at the same time, as Morgan told little stories and Scrivener argued and quipped.

Antares and Innocence were similar to their parents: the stallion was cocky and liked to laugh, the mare was obnoxious and liked to shout. But they both cared, too. They both had something smart underneath all the boisterousness and the noise. Or at least, that was the sense she got from them.

And Thorn... how strong was he, she wondered. She didn't want to imagine the kind of internal battle he was fighting right now: the glimpses of it she could catch from looking at him were disconcerting, to say the least. It was almost the same as what her father went through: but better, or worse? She wasn't sure. She only knew that seeing it... hurt.

The portal had already been activated by the time they reached it, but Hecate called them to a halt before they could enter. Thorn stumbled a little, then bared his teeth, looking both humiliated and infuriated, but Hecate rolled over him smoothly as she said calmly: “Thorn will require assistance.”

“I am...” Thorn shivered, but then he managed to get himself under control, modulating his voice and taking a slow breath before he murmured: “I... need help.”

Thorn lowered his head, visibly fighting to control himself, and Cadence softened as she saw how much harder he fought because of the humiliation: how he could keep himself under control, but how immensely draining it was on his tattered psyche. And then Cadence looked up in surprise as a perky voice said brightly: “Yep! Right here!”

Thorn looked up in shock, and Moonflower blanched, as Necrophage came trotting happily towards them, lugging a large cart. She stopped in front of Thorn with a smile, bowing her head to him almost shyly, covered in bandages and bruises and burns, but all the same, looking glad to be of service as she apologized: “Sorry, Thorn! I didn't mean to be so late! It won't happen again!”

“I... okay.” Thorn said blankly, before he winced when Hecate scooped him up before placing him into the back of the cart, the sapphire stallion dropping on his rump with a grimace, his back thumping against a heavy crate.

“I assigned Necrophage to serve as Thorn's personal assistant. I trust there are no issues with this designation.” Hecate said calmly, and Moonflower made a face and a noise like he was choking on a lemon, earning a look from Hecate. “Yes?”

“I... uh... nothing.” Moonflower mumbled embarrassedly after a moment, lowering his head dejectedly, looking like a betrayed puppy. But Hecate only smiled at him, surprisingly stepping over to gently grasp the stallion by the shoulder.

“I do not want problems festering in my organization. You will deal with your problems or you will be removed from duty. Understood?” Somehow, Hecate's words came across as gentle, encouraging, and Moonflower hesitantly looked up at her before he gave a little nod, and she nodded back before half-pushing him towards the portal, instructing: “Then go. Thorn, I expect regular reports from you. Thesis, I will be in contact.”

“Great wretched bitch. Fie on thee and thy meddling, thou art worse than I am!” Brynhild complained loudly, and then she huffed and strode quickly towards the portal, Morgan and Scrivener falling in toe with her as she grumbled: “Very well, let us head through the portal, perhaps at least Subterra shall provide better entertainments than this... 'tis all silly drama, no child of mine would be so silly as to choose a single mate alone, in any case!”

She vanished through the portal to a collective sigh of exasperation, and Antares grinned, then stared dumbly for a moment at Prestige when the Valkyrie narrowed her eyes at him before he gave a short, high-pitched laugh, then turned and sprinted for the portal as well. Prestige rolled her eyes, then scowled as Innocence said blandly: “Tarry is gay, you know. Once he realizes you're not a stallion, he's totally going to leave you for a whole orgy of guys.”

With that, Innocence turned and pranced towards the portal, and Prestige rolled her eyes as she followed after the mare. Thesis snorted in amusement before he looked over at Cadence, gesturing at her and starting: “I need to stay back for a minute to talk to Mom, so-”

“Moonflower! Go on ahead with Necrophage!” Cadence shouted, and Moonflower yelped before scrambling for the portal as Necrophage gave a cheerful chirp of agreement and hopped happily along behind him, Thorn wincing as he fell back against the crates again with a thump.

Thesis sighed and rolled his eyes as Hecate surveyed them both for a few moments, and then the Replicant apologized lamely: “Sorry, Mom, but uh... well, you know how geese are. They like to honk and break limbs. Honk, I think that's what I'm going to call you from now on, because that's all you do.”

Cadence gave Thesis a sour look, and Thesis grinned that insufferable grin at her, which made her want to punch him in the face. But before she could, Hecate cleared her throat and said dryly: “If you're both done with your idiocy, Thesis and Honk-”

“Oh come on!” Cadence exclaimed in disbelief, glaring up at Hecate, and... is she smiling? Is she actually smiling? No, this is not happening. “What the hell is this garbage? I am not.... Queen Hecate, you can't-”

“I can and will do whatever I please, especially when dealing with children.” Hecate retorted, and then she continued calmly, making Cadence's jaw drop and Thesis blush: “Thesis, do not treat Cadence the same way you treated your sisters. Those were your sisters, not your marefriend. Cadence, stop being a theatrical idiot. This is not a cheap romantic drama and you are no damsel in distress. And be gentle with my son, he's still a virgin.”

“Mom!” Thesis shouted in a strangled voice, before he winced when Hecate shoved a hoof over his muzzle, glowering down at him.

“Shut up, Thesis. Cadence, my son is handsome and cares about you, and I can see into you as well as you can see into others. Stop blinding yourself to your own needs and emotions in a vague attempt to 'protect' others by pushing them away. It is unattractive.” Hecate continued, and then she paused before grasping both Cadence and Thesis by the horn and head respectively, making them both wince at the strength of her hooves. “Last but not least, do not meddle with Thorn. It is difficult, but he must find his own way and make his own decisions.

“I have high expectations of you both. Do not disappoint me for the thousandth time.” Hecate finally shoved them both backwards, the ponies stumbling dumbly before they yelped as they whacked their heads together when they both spun into turns towards each other, and Hecate sighed and rolled her eyes, muttering: “Even if it might be too late for that.”

“I... I am a warrior!” Cadence blurted stupidly, before she spun around and rushed for the portal.

Thesis stumbled quickly after the ivory mare, shouting: “Yeah! We're grown-ups, Mommy! We don't need-”

Cadence gave some wordless, furious yell at Thesis before she vanished into the portal, and Thesis grinned lamely before he followed a moment later, leaving Hecate to sigh and shake her head as she watched the portal swirl closed, before the slightest of smiles spread over her lips as she said softly: “I suppose no matter how the times change, ponies will always be ponies. Warriors and princes and grown-ups... at their core, they'll forever still be my little ponies.”

And she wouldn't have it any other way.

PreviousChapters Next