• Published 14th Sep 2016
  • 370 Views, 1 Comments

The Boulevard - GoldenOak KestrelFlight



The life and times of Princess Twilight Sparkle

  • ...
1
 1
 370

Broken Dreams

Twilight Sparkle pulled out a sheet of paper, wetting her quill in ink and settling into her familiar writing position, resting upon the pillow over the hard crystal floor of her castle. She could still hear the noises emanating from outside, but it was peaceful enough for her. She began to write.


“Dear Princess Celestia.

It has been quite a while since we spoke last. Much has changed, yet everything seems to stay much the same. I went to visit Applejack again. She’s unhappy about her job, but when has that not been the case. I’m still not sure about whether she still means it when she thanks me for the magic I performed. I suppose I’ll find out one day, hopefully.

Pinkie Pie still hasn’t returned, and I don’t think she ever will. Rainbow Dash is distraught, barely able to clear the clouds each day, she’s so worried. I think the rest of us have given up on ever seeing her again, though Maud still stops by Sugar Cube Corner every chance she gets. If you could, please try to convince those doctors once again. I know you believe she needs to be there, but Ponyville needs her more.

Rarity’s shops are doing well. With stores from Buckingham to the Crystal Empire, she is one of the most elegant and well known ponies in Equestria, though I’m sure you already know that. I just hope nothing bad happens to her while she’s in Yakyakistan.

Starlight is hanging with her friends again, giving me the time I need to dictate this letter in peace, even if there’s no one here to write it for me. Trixie has become one of the best illusionists under Starlight’s tutelage and Gilda is on her way to becoming the first Griffon to make it into the Wonderbolts. I understand how you truly taught me now, leaving me to my own devices until I figured it out on my own, or caused a disaster so bad you had to come and fix it. I am glad I was able to pass that style along to my students. Thank you Princess.

Sincerely yours,

Princess Twilight Sparkle”


Twilight Sparkle settled the quill she had been writing with, letting it rest in the ink pot as she floated her letter onto the shelf, resting on innumerous other letters, all sealed tight. Sighing, the purple alicorn made her way back to the throne room. She had used her lunch break unwisely, but she was still happy with the results. “Back to more Day court.” She grumbled, before plastering a smile on her face and pushing the double doors to her throne room open.

250 years later

Twilight Sparkle sat down, her royal hindquarters resting on the luxurious queen sized pillow beneath her as she retrieved an old quill, still dripping with fresh ink. Floating out a parchment, she began to write.


“Dear Princess Celestia

It’s been a while since I’ve written. Sorry about that. Equestria won’t run itself though, and with Cadence gone, it’s been harder than ever.

Applejack passed away today. We all knew it was coming, but no one really wanted to talk about it. The doctor said she probably could’ve pushed a few more years, but the magic infused in her spine couldn’t hold any longer. She said it wasn’t my fault, that AJ could have died if it wasn’t for me. I acknowledge that, but did she want to? My magic was prolonging her suffering, forcing her to work in a dead end job just to keep her family afloat. She was in constant pain, and she still insisted on walking home day after day, even though the walk was more than an hour for her. If only that dammed storm hadn’t blown through. She never did fix that barn. Oh, sorry, here I am rambling again, when one of my friends just died. Shows what kind of friend I am, huh? The funeral will be happening sometime next week, once the rain has dried off the ground.

Rainbow still visits every Wonderbolts show she can, even though she has to take a balloon now. They still honor her, and Soarin told me he was going to host a Wonderbolts hoof race on their anniversary. I know Rainbow Dash will be so happy to run with her family one last time.

No word on Pinkie Pie yet. The doctors told me they were done ages ago, but we still haven’t seen her. I hope she comes home soon. I think we could all use a bit of laughter right now. Seriously though, how long does it take to release a chaos spawn from solitary?! Sorry for that, I know I shouldn’t call her that, but the doctors insist that’s what she is. I don’t care what they say, and I’m tired of being around them for so long that I start referring to my friends as something they aren’t! Again, sorry for my outburst.

Fluttershy and Big Mac finally conceived. I heard the guys went up to Spike’s cave for a celebration. I’m sure Ogres and Ogulettes won’t be quite the same anymore. Their foal will be so adorable when she finally arrives. It’s pretty much the only happy thing I can find in this world anymore, so I’m going to milk it for all it’s worth (The friendship, not the foal). I know Flutters is ready for this. She has been for quite some time.

Starlight is dealing with Sunburst just outside my door, and I swear those two are louder than Discord some days. I’m going to have to cut this short. Spike isn’t around to tell them to get a room after all.

Yours Truly,

Princess Twilight Sparkle”


Twilight wrapped the letter in her royal seal, floating it high onto a shelf her no pony could reach. There it fell, lost amongst the millions of others, never to be read.

50 years later

Twilight Sparkle sat down at her desk, her eyes sagging as she stared once more at the parchment. She had been meaning to do this for a long time, but now that she was here, she just couldn’t muster the effort. This was to be her final letter. She didn’t want to write it, but she knew she had to start moving on. It had been over three hundred years after all. She lifted the new pen the scientist had given her. Weighing it in her magic, she placed it to the side. She wanted to write this one herself, without being recorded by whatever devices they had placed inside of it. She plucked a large, purple feather from her massive wings, dipped it in an ink pot, and began to write.


“Dear Princess Celestia.

I don’t know how to do this. I certainly don’t want to. No, I have to!

It’s been a while hasn’t it. Things have changed. Buttermac is the head of my diplomacy party now, negotiating all of the most important discussions between Equestria and its neighbors. I am so proud of him, and I know his parents would be too.

Rainbow has finally retired, and recently asked me to stop casting the immortality spell on her. She says she wants to see her family again, and I can’t fault her for that. I’d like to see mine too. Rainbow says there’s not much left for her now, ever since her wings got clipped. I can’t imagine how much that tore her apart. Having to watch every one of her family’s races from the stands. But I don’t think she had it anywhere near as badly as Applejack did.

Applejack had been fixing the barn that evening, and with Scootaloo’s music playing so loud, she couldn’t hear the storm until it was too late. A falling tree branch and a sharp crack was all anyone heard. No one found her until morning. She was lucky to be alive, so would say. I think the opposite. A quick spell healed her back enough for her to walk, but the doctor said she could never buck again. The worst part was, none of us even though to ask her if she wanted the treatment. She spent the rest of her time working for Filthy Rich and the Mayor. I knew she hated every second of it, but it was the only job she could do then. I don’t think I’ll ever know if she ever truly thanked me for the magic I used to heal her back. That thought alone is enough to haunt me for the rest of my life.

Pinkie pie was found in the Everfree one day. No one knows how she got there, and no one asked questions. Each day now she enters day court, pleading me once again to end her life. She doesn’t want the pain anymore. ‘The voices won’t stop’, she tells me. I don’t know what to do. The doctors did something to her, I’m sure of it. But it’s not like I can get to them now, can I? One day, I may have to do as she asks, if for no other reason than to keep her from taking it herself.

Rarity lives in Carousel Boutique once more, desperately trying to piece her industry back together. I wish there was something I could do, but in the eyes of Equestria, Hoity Toity is now the owner of Rarity for You. I know she is to determined pull herself back together, to put herself back in the spotlight. And I know she can do it. I just don’t know if she’ll be able to do it in time. Sweetie Belle’s Horn cancer treatment won’t pay for itself, and Rarity for You was its primary source of payment.

I wish you and Luna were still here. I could really use some company right about now. Spike is in mourning, he has been for a while now. Ember died at the hands of the Phoenix king, all because some rouge dragons smashed a few eggs. I know how callous that sounds, but right now, I don’t even care. The sooner that fight gets resolved, the better. I don’t think the Dragon lands can take much more.

I want to know. I need to know. How did you do it? How did you get away with death? You managed to escape the public eye, dying a heroic death against a formidable foe. I’ve thrown myself against everything and always come out on top. I don’t know what else there is. Immortality’s a bitch, and I can’t wait to find the cure. I know Flurry Heart could carry on in my stead. All that’s left is to search the Starswirl archives again. Maybe something appeared this time.

This is my final letter. With this letter, I acknowledge the deaths of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, regents of the Sun and Moon, and the original bearers of the Elements of Harmony. With this letter, I accept my fate. Immortality means forever, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try to make the best of it.

Your faithful student,

Queen Twilight Sparkle”


To Spike.

I have numbered each of these letters from one to… However many there are. Do not open them. Do not read them. I want you to burn them. Send them to Princess Celestia. Who knows, maybe dragon fire is just strong enough to reach to the afterlife. If it is, maybe you can send a letter to Ember as well. I’m sure she’d love to know how her children are doing.
Love,

Mom

Author's Note:

Somehow, I feel like this went way too fast, but I don't know How I could do it any better. What did you guys think of it? I always enjoy hearing from readers :pinkiehappy:

To all those wondering, I don't think Kestrel is ever coming back. :fluttershyouch:

Comments ( 1 )

Honestly, I liked it. Plus the song (Boulevard of Broken Dreams) fits really well. Couldn't stop listening.

Login or register to comment