• Published 29th Aug 2016
  • 4,444 Views, 105 Comments

An unexpected friendship - Shadow SSS



Being a new student is never easy... Being a new Shadowbolt is even worse. This is the story of your new life as a Shadowbolt

  • ...
7
 105
 4,444

Chapter 10 - The Dragon's Lair

“You heard me Anon, the way I see it you have two options. You either do this for me, or this video I have of your dear friend crying on your arms, is going to be all over the internet before you could even say ‘I’m sorry’. So what is it going to be, punk?”

Crystal Prep is full of self centered assholes who only care about themselves and their closest friends… even then you have your own doubts about that. If it means achieving Victory, even the closest of friends are willing to backstab each other. Doing this would certainly make you have no friends after this, specially with those who you’ve been trying to get closer to this past few days, but on the other hand, if you don’t do this, you will yield the same results for exposing Sugarcoat in such humiliating way. It was a lose lose situation for you, no matter how you try and solve it.

Why was Gilda doing this? Does she hate Sugarcoat that much? Maybe she hates you for some reason you still have not realized? Or is she just a jerk by nature? Whatever it is, you had to try and bargain a better deal than this one.

“Come on Gilda, isn’t there anything else I can do for you? Why are you even doing this in the first place?” You asked trying to get some answers out of her, but at the same time trying to be careful so you don’t make her even angrier and risk exposing Sugarcoat right here right now, and knowing Gilda, she would blame this on you somehow.

“Why? WHY? I’ll tell you why, because that little bitch of Sugarcoat is annoying as hell. Have you ever heard her? God the world doesn’t spin around her, and what the fuck is her problem with pointing everyone's mistakes all the goddamn time?”

Gilda did bring a good point about being a little annoying and well, her obsession on pointing everyone's mistakes, but you felt there was more than just it. Even though it is a little annoying, now that you were a little closer to Sugarcoat, you could tell she only does this because she cares about people and wants them to improve.

“Is that is? A lot of people do that you know?”

“ Of course that’s not it dweeb!” Gilda snapped at you annoyed and looked away “The real reason why I’m doing this to her is because she gave me no credit in a group project we had together”

Now that is a huge lie. Sugarcoat may be annoying and a little hard to be around at first, but when it comes to this kind of things, she always credits everyone for their efforts.

“That doesn’t sound like Sugarcoat to me. That’s not the kind of things she would do”

“Well flash news, she did. I let her come to my place and lend her my books so she could do the work”

… That was it? You gave her books and a place to study?

“And how was she supposed to credit you?” You asked a bit unsure on how Sugarcoat was wrong. Gilda did nothing by just that argument alone.

“I PRACTICALLY DID HALF THE WORK BY DOING THAT!”

“ Right, Right… Giving someone a place to work and materials to work with is so reasonable and fair” You said sarcastically folding your arms

Luckily Gilda did not caught up on your sarcasm. Instead, she took it quite on the opposite side “Finally someone who understands!”

Yea… You understand and you are with her 100%... lets go with that.

“So… are you going to spare me on this one?” Maybe since you ‘agreed’ with her, she will let you off the hook on this one?

Gilda laughed and shook her head “Fuck that, I still want revenge on that idiot”

Worth the shot… Before Gilda could say anything else about the topic, her bus arrived and she quickly hopped in “Tell anyone about this, even your useless friend of Dorklight. Get me in trouble, and you are going to pay for this, not to mention I will upload the video”

Just as the bus drives away, your hold your head and hold in a scream of frustration as you tried to calm down. Not only you have a pretty dire choice to make, but you also could not get any sort of help, perfect.


The next day was good for the most part. You had not met with anyone. Not Twilight, not Sugarcoat, not Gilda. You had some time for yourself but that still did not stop you from thinking what to do… God this was so frustrating. Maybe if you told Twilight, nothing bad would happen right? She can keep a secret right? No no… telling her this was only going to worry her and that is the last thing you want to do. Maybe the Shadow 5? Yea right, as soon as they find out Gilda has this video, they will want to take action with their own hands and that will make Gilda not only post the video, but unleash her rage on you afterwards. Dean Cadance or Principal Cynch? No, Gilda would get in trouble for sure and it would yield the same results.

“Come on, why does it always have to be me?”

Wait… did you just yell that or was that in your head? No… no you were pretty sure you yelled it, and if the looks of your classmates and even Mrs Harshwiny was not enough proof, then you had no idea what would. When did you get to class? Hell, how did you not realize you were in the middle of a book reading? You really need to stop spacing out and act on instinct.

Mrs Harshwiny looked up from the book she was reading for the class and stared straight into your eyes at your soul. If glares could kill, your would be dead to the core.

“Mr Anon, since you seem so eager to talk out loud, why don’t you summarize the chapter we just read in class?”

'Heir of Fire' by Shara J Maas, Chapter 22… You had no idea what this chapter was about. You are surprised you are even able to keep up with your classmates on this reading. Reading books of any kind was not your favourite hobby.

“I… I can’t not Ma’am… I was not following the reading” You admitted looking down ashamed. Best be honest than try to come up with some random thing and embarrass yourself even further.

“And why were’t you following the reading along with the rest of your classmates? What could possibly have you so distracted at a time like this, not only to interrupt my class, but also not to follow the reading?”

Maybe if she was alone you would have told her. Maybe if Gilda and the rest of the class was not there right there all paying their undying attention to you, you would have told her your problem with Gilda and Sugarcoat.

“I’m afraid I can not tell your that ma’am”

“And why can you not tell me?”

“I just can’t”

Mrs Harshwiny was of course disappointed at your response, but regardless, she seemed to be in a good mood… to some extent “Very Well. Mr Anon, please proceed to the principal's office and explain to her what happened right here” She said pointing at the door and wait for you to leave before continuing her class.

Gilda was not dumb. She quickly caught your attention throwing a small piece of paper without Harshwiny realizing and showed you her phone. The message was quite clear. You were not going to tell anything to Cynch if you know what is best for both of you.

Once outside the class, the quiet reign around you. There was no one to bother you, no one to tell you what to do, no one to do anything against you. It was the first time that you were at peace inside the school. Why can’t your days be more like this?

Even though the concerned looks of some of your friends were troubling you now because of your little outburst and your snap, you had to let them go and talk to them later, maybe when you are done with Cynch.

As you make your way down the hallway, you could actually see how well polished the crystal like floor and walls were. So clear that you could actually see your own reflection on them if you got close enough. Not only the crystal floors were appealing to the view, but the Quartz pillars supporting the ceiling along side the neatly laid down lockers on each side of the hall were showing how perfect this school is. You kind of wonder if it has always been like this or not. You doubt about it, perfection doesn’t come naturally after all, it does take a little work and time.

Occasionally on the empty walls, you could see paintings to fill in the blank spaces on the walls so they don’t look too dull if there are no windows to the outside. Speaking of windows, the ones of this school do tend quite big, allowing a lot of sunlight to come through them making the crystals surrounding you shine like diamonds. You could bet that a mere 2 meter of floor in this school was more expensive than your whole bedroom together.

Of course the nicest looking place in the whole school was the main tower. On the first floor was the entrance, leading up to the front yard and allowing the students to run free as soon as the ring bells signaling the end of a school day, while on the other side, you could find marble steps going up to the second floor where you would find two offices, the first one being Dean Cadance office, on of the most supportive and caring person you have ever met in your life, while the second one was Principal Cynch, contrary to Cadance, Cynch was mean and self centered. She only cared about the reputation of her school and her own. Not even her own daughter Sunny Flare was good enough for her despite being the third best student in the school.

One thing you had not noticed up until now was the thing in between both offices. A space dedicated specifically to show off all the trophies, medals and prizes the school has won through the years along with the winning team that got them. The first few pictures were not with Cynch. In fact, the old principal was there, smiling and cheering along with the students. Some say that Principal Discord was the best Principal in the world. He was both serious to keep up with the standards so the school could be considered to be on a good study level, but at the same time, he was cool and chill enough to mess around with the students and not be so uptight like Cynch is. Even in the last photo he appeared, Cynch was on his side. Clearly it was his last year and he was “training” Cynch in a way for when he is gone for her to take over.

To your surprise, Cynch was smiling and even looked like she was having a good time. Hell, for the first four photos when she was alone as the principal she seemed to be smiling in all the photos and having fun with all their victories. It was not until the fifth photo that she took a more serious manner and after that, the photos began to become gradually more serious and professional. The kids and teachers stopped cheering, they stopped taking silly poses and being random like most would be after a well deserved victory to the point that only a few years ago, all students lost their smiles to the point that the only difference between the photos was the students. They all had the same pose, the same faces, the same monotonous attitude. It was really sad to even look at. What happened all this years? Why has Cynch gone from being happy to well… being the serious woman she is now?

You had a feeling what it was. Right before she became her serious self, in one of the photos, Cynch had quite a big belly… Not from being fat, but from being pregnant, and she did not look happy. Was Sunny Flare a surprise? Was she not planning to become a mother?

Maybe you could ask Sunny later, but for now, it was time. There was no point in trying to avoid this anymore, you had to face her.

Standing in front of the door, you could feel your heartbeat raising.Facing the principal of any school had never gotten so worked up like this. The door slowly extended more and more, the door disappearing, leaving a black entrance right in front of you. The door frame turning from mahogany to stone and cobblestone.

Your journey had come to an end. The quest to slay the dragon was finally in it’s final chapter. With your sword and shield in hand, you were ready. Stepping forward into the beast's lair, you looked around and took a deep breath. The smell of Charcoal and burnt meat filled your lungs. The deeper you got, the worse the view was. Corpses of dead adventurers all around you, remains of armors scattered all over the place, and a few coins spread across the floor. So you were not the first one to confront the beasts, and god knows if you will be the last one or not.

Maybe it was best not to think about this. You had to set your mind that you would be the last one to confront the dragon. You had to believe that you would be the one to bring its head back to your village, victorious and with your head up in the air.

Kling Klang. The sound of your armor hitting the cold floor below your was echoing all over the cave. It was a surprise the beast has not come to meet you just yet, but your meeting was not going to wait much longer, because just as you come through a corner, you could see it in all of its glory. The dragon, on top of a horde of coins, gold ingots, treasure chests and all sorts of jewelry. Who knows how long she had been here to yield such treasure.

“Dragon! I have come here to slay you and bring an end to your reign of tyranny” You yelled bringing your shield up along with your sword ready for a fight.

The dragon did not even bother to give you a glance. It just yawned as it began stretching like if you were not even there “Twenty four” It said. You had no idea what it meant but you ignored it.

“You have threaten this land long enough. I will be the one who will bring your death”

“Fifthytwo” It said as it slowly walked up to you now granting you the gift of its gaze

You took a step backward as your knees and hand began shaking, but you remain in your fighting position nevertheless “You don’t scare me!”

“Nineteen”

“Right… What are you...” You began questioning, but the dragon raised it hand

“Oh no please don’t mind me, do go on” It said as it laid its head on the floor right in front of you

“Anyways… Prepare to die under my blade you foul beast”

“Seventy four”

“Alright, what the hell are you doing?” You said slightly annoyed at all this random numbers the beast is saying

“Ah you see, every week a new hero comes to my cave and began saying all this heroic speeches before our ‘epic fight’ that I began counting them as a fun little game before I slaughter them” The dragon explained happily it's devolic little game he does on situations like this one.

“You sicken me you, stupid… worthless… monster”

“Uhhhh… that’s a good one. Six”

“That’s it” You yelled and began charging forward for an epic fight, but before you could clash your sword against the beast snout, the voice of Cynch brought you back into reality in the blink of an eye.


“Yes?” She asked standing on the other side of the door. It seemed she was about to leave when she suddenly found you in the middle blocking her path.

“Oh… Principal Cynch… I’m sorry for interrupting you, but… I was sent here by Mrs Harshwiny for interrupting her class” You said tightening your books in hand afraid of her response.

Cynch raised an eyebrow and sighed before pinching her nose “Come inside Mr Anon” She said turning around to her back to her desk.

You followed right after her, closing the door behind you and sat on the other side of the desk as Cynch stared right into your eyes.

“Tell me Mr Anon, why have you interrupted your class today?”

Going straight for the point? Typical of Cynch. Not wasting any time or giving anyone a chance to think.

“It was an accident principal, I swear” You proclaimed knowing that you could not tell her the truth.

Cynch took a deep breath and leaned forward “Mr Anon. Accidents do not exist. An accident is an invention of the humans to try and avoid a problem. When there is a car crash, in most cases, there is someone to blame. Most cases are drunk drivers, some other cases it’s because of a flat tire. In both cases, the crashes are not caused by accidents. The first one is due to the incompetence of the person behind the wheel for not taking the proper measures before driving around. The second one is fault of both the owner of the vehicle and the mechanic for not keeping track of the conditions of the tire. Behind every… ‘accident’ there is a cause and someone to blame. Now, with that in mind… please tell me why you interrupted your class”

Cynch sure finds a way to bend the world around her. Who the hell thinks that accidents don’t exist. If she had one, she would most certainly say she had one instead of give this long as boring explanation. Regardless, you took a deep breath and look down “I… I can not tell you principal”

Cynch looked at you and smiled for a moment “Very well. Please, head outside my office and take a deep breath. Once you cleared your mind, come back inside” She said calmly as she head over to one of drawers on the wall to look for something.

Cynch just let you off the hook just like that? No… there must be something going on here. Regardless, you took your belongings and left the office to take some fresh air. A minute of just breathing and relaxing later, you decided to go back inside. Once there, you looked at Cynch and what she was reading. It was some sort of folder with… your name on it?

She let out an evil smirk as soon as you walk inside again and pointed at her chair. Taking her invitation, you sat down on it and look at the folder, but she quickly closed it so you would not have the chance to look at it.

“So, Mr Anon… I got quite a few reports from your teachers. Most of them are pretty good, In fact, if you work hard enough, you could one day make it to the Shadow 5, and maybe the group will change it’s name to Shadow 6”. She began saying slowly and calmly. The Shadow 5, the people you’ve been trying to befriend so far, the best of the best… What was her point?

“Well, I wouldn’t say I am at their level.. why are you telling me this?” You asked a bit skeptical

“Oh it’s nothing. You see, each year, I choose 7 exceptional studies and talk to them. We talk about them and what they want to do in their lives. What they plan to do after Highschool and which universities to attend. In case you didn’t know. A letter of recommendation from your principal will almost guarantee you an entry to said university”

“Well, I know that… but… are you trying to tell me you are gonna write a letter of recommendation for me?” That would be great, heck it will guarantee to get to the university you want

“Maybe. I could give a letter of recommendation to you, but I also have the power to prevent you from joining any university” There is it. Now she is showing her true colors. It was too good to be true, she never intended to be nice, did she? “It all depends on you Mr Anon. All I’m asking from you is to tell me what happened today in class”

Well great. You had Gilda against you, you have Sugarcoat reputation in your hands, or rather Gilda’s hand, but with your responsibility, and now the Principal was threatening you. What the hell are you supposed to do now?

“So… I… Have to tell you and that’s it?”

“You are a clever boy Anon. You know the answer to that”


Slaying a dragon is no easy task. Many heroes die in the process. Some are victorious… and others only manage to scrap them a little before they are forced back to escape. You were lucky enough to escape with your life out of that cave but sadly, the dragon was still alive. You were grateful for making it out alive, but at which cost? People around you were still at risk, and you… you ended up quite injured yourself. You might not be able to recover from this one.

Eating alone at your usual table, you were waiting for Twilight to come along and join you… but from what she told you, she would be working extra hard on that device to detect anomalys of the sort on CHS. You really could not bother to look too much into it. If you did, you would only slow her down quite a bit.

So this was going to be a lonely lunch, eh? Well that had its perks. You had no one to worry about, you had time for yourself, you really did not have to talk to anyone about your problem at hand.

It was just you, your glass of water, your salad and the Shadow 5 sitting around you. Wait, when the hell did they get here? Looking around surprised, they stared back at you in silence. For a brief moment there was an awkward were no one said one thing, that is until Indigo broke the silence and spoke up first.

“So?”

“So… So what?” You asked trying to play cool.

You were not fooling anyone. By now, all the school knew about your little freak out in literature class.

“Come on dude, stop messing around. You know… you freaked out in class today. What happened?” She asked nudging you a little encouraging you to open up, but you simply could not do so.

“Look, I just… have a lot on my shoulders and… I need some space” You said trying to be polite but at the same time trying to avoid confrontation… It did not work

Lemon immediately interrupted and put her hand on top of yours “Dude, we are your friends. You can trust us” She said with a smile

Sour Sweet frown and huffed “He may be your friend, BUT HE STILL HAS TO PROVE HIMSELF TO ME”

Well, at least Lemon, Indigo and Sugarcoat consider you their friends. Sunny and Sour were still on the balance and testing you, but even then… This five girls are the last people you want to tell whats going on. Luckily Gilda was not here so, maybe you could risk it… better not.

“I’m… sorry Lemon, but I can’t tell anyone. Not even Twilight. I don't want to put Sugarcoat reputation at risk” You said and immediately covered your mouth as soon as the words came out of your mouth.

Everyone turned over to Sugarcoat confused, but she… she was blushing slightly and even a little mad at you. Still she took a deep breath and frown.

“I am not telling you anything here” She said standing up and began walking outside of the cafeteria “Come with me. That includes you” She said pointing straight at you before leaving.

Sour, Sunny and Indigo left straight away while Lemon stayed behind for a moment “Dude, relax. We are not going to judge you. Come on” She said reaching out with her hand for you along with a smile.

You could not help but return the smile as you took her hand and began walking after the rest with her.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, I'm back! :yay: Yay!

I know, I know, you are probably all wondering, "Shadow, where have you been?"

Well my dear friends, the answer to that is simple. I went through a phase of depression, and lack of inspiration and I could not think at all. Luckily now, I am feeling a little better and I could finally continue the story!

"Shadow, how long until the end of the story?"

The end of this arc is about to finish. It's already planned and ready to be executed. I estimate two or three more chapters. This story? Pffft, I don't know. Until I get bored of writing? I'm not really planning of stopping this story. I have so many things I want to do and try that the answer to that right now is... never.

Your feed back is appreciated, so remember to comment! I will reply to all your comments so let me know if I'm doing good or bad! Be nice, be mean, every little bit helps!

Shadow out