• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 22,978 Views, 984 Comments

The Sweetest Gem - The Rarispy



(The Gems Trilogy: Episode 1) Sweetie Belle attempts to deal with the realization that she's developed a crush on Spike.

  • ...
54
 984
 22,978

Of Good Friends

I still don’t know what to do. I guess… I guess I want Spike to know how I feel. I kind of feel guilty keeping this secret. But… do I want to risk it? Is a pony-dragon couple completely normal, like Fluttershy said? Well, Spike and I are too young to be a ‘couple’. But that’s another thing! Are we also too young? And if it turns out he doesn’t love me back, will he still want to be my friend? UGH! Why can’t my answer just fall out of the sky?

"Look out below!”

Before Sweetie Belle had time to react, she was suddenly pounced to the ground by a familiar blue blur.

"Whoops. Sorry about that, squirt," said Rainbow Dash. "I'm trying to perfect my newest trick. Heh-heh, it’s… not working out too well."

"That's okay…" Sweetie replied as she continued walking, her head hanging low. Quick to shrug off her haphazard landing, Rainbow immediately began pondering on how to improve.

“Let's see, maybe if I angle the trajectory of my wings a little after the last loop-de-loop, I'll be able to make a much clearer landing when I finish off with the big tornado sweep. Yeah, that should do it!" She gave an apologetic smile to Sweetie Belle, only to see her walking off sadly into the distance. "Hey! Why so glum, kid?" she inquired, flying upside-down next to her.

"I’m not ‘glum’, whatever that means," answered Sweetie. “I’m peachy.”

"Aw, come on!" Rainbow twisted herself back right-side up. "I know a sad face when I see one, and that right there is a sad face! Something buggin' ya?"

Sweetie responded with a sigh. What could it hurt? "Well, Rainbow Dash, have you— have you ever had a very special somepony?" The weather pegasus flew up a few inches with a stunned expression on her face.

"Well, I... uh, of course I have! Yeah!"

"You have?" Sweetie Belle asked. She inched closer to Rainbow. "Well, how did you let them know that you wanted them to be your special somepony? Or did they want you to be theirs?"

"Huh? Oh, um, I... Ohhhh, I see what's going on here! Little Miss Sweetie Belle's got her eye on somepony, doesn't she?"

Sweetie Belle drew back. "What gave it away?"

"Ha ha! Let me guess, you can't figure out what to say to him, can you?" Rainbow asked, floating back down. Sweetie nodded. "Well, walking around looking all shy and gloomy isn't gonna help! You just gotta be yourself. Walk right up to him and say, 'I love you!' And hey, who knows? Maybe he feels the same way about you!"

"But what if he doesn't?" Sweetie exclaimed. "What if he doesn't feel the same way? What if he totally freaks out and doesn't want to be my friend anymore?"

Darn it, why does she have to make this so hard? What do I say now? "Well.., you know what? Even if he doesn't feel the same way, I'm sure you guys could still be great friends!”

“Really? Are you sure that—”

“Yes, I'm sure about it! Uh... well, look at the time! I've gotta go!" The rainbow-haired pony immediately sped off, looking quite afraid of something.

"Now I’m even more ‘not sure’ than I was before,” she stated, followed with an annoyed grunt.

Rainbow watched from the branches of the tree above. She sighed in relief, but then tore her gaze away, scrunching her eyes and trying to bring herself not to look at the retreating filly.

“You know, Rainbow…” She hit her head on a branch in recoil. Fluttershy had flown up from behind her. “I still don’t think anypony would think anything bad about you if you told them you’ve never had a special somepony.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about,” replied Rainbow. “I don’t care what anypony else thinks of me.”

“Then, why do you want to keep it a secret?”

“Because…” She turned her head away from Fluttershy. “I don’t like to be reminded that I’ve never had someone special.”


Spike paced back and forth around the bedroom, his eyes to the floor as if scanning for dirt. Something was bothering him. …But what?

Around him were several suitcases, all packed with various objects and clothing. However, there was one item that wasn’t packed. The large, shining ocean sapphire Sweetie Belle had given him earlier. Spike had precariously perched it on a high shelf (with Twilight’s help, of course). He initially wanted to eat it, but for some reason, he just couldn’t bring himself to do that.

Spike looked up at it. He wasn’t sure why, but whenever he looked at it, he just felt even more depressed.

I don’t get it. What’s wrong? I feel like I’m— like I’m missing something. I’ve had a great past few days, nothing bad has happened. So, why do I feel upset? Hmm… maybe drawing a picture of Rarity would help. That usually makes me feel happy!

Excitedly, he ran to his table to draw a picture. But when he opened the shelf, none of his drawing materials were there.

“Oops. I must’ve packed them already.” He reached into the suitcase and pulled out a sheet of paper and his crayons. “There we go! Ahh… Rarity, my sweet,” he mused to himself as he started drawing. As he did so however, he eventually noticed a blue light being cast down onto the paper.

“Huh?”

Looking up, he almost wanted to cover his eyes with his arm from the brightness. Celestia’s sun was just in the right angle that the light penetrated through Sweetie’s sapphire.

Among other things, Spike had the chance to finally notice just how much it gleamed and sparkled in the bright light.

“Wow…” he said quietly, still drawing his picture. “That’s just beautiful. A sweet and beautiful gem… just like my sweet Rarity.” A smile escaped his lips as he gazed upon it. However, that smile left as soon as he looked back down to his paper, and was replaced by an expression of pure shock.

He had just drawn a picture of Sweetie Belle.


Maybe I should just ask Rarity for help, Sweetie pondered, walking through the Ponyville market. No, I can't do that! I saw what’s in those romantic books she has! She'll dress me all up in a frilly new dress and put me and Spike on a romantic cruise or something! Who else can I talk to? Who else around here is good at keeping secrets?

But inspiration struck when she spotted a familiar confectionary shop in the distance. "Wait, of course! A pony that can keep a secret, no matter what! That's it!"

Inside Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie Pie was busy frosting some cupcakes in a box, almost ready to deliver an order to a customer. She was humming a soft tune to herself, probably another song that she was going to burst out singing when the opportunity arrived, until she heard the bell ring.

"Oh, hi Sweetie Belle!" she exclaimed.

"Hi, Pinkie," Sweetie replied, walking up to the counter. Pinkie Pie brushed the cupcakes to the side.

"So what brings you here today? Need some treats? Or a party?"

"No thanks," she replied. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Sure, what do you want to talk about?"

There’s no way I’m going to tell her this in front of all these customers. "Is there somewhere else we can talk? It's a secret.”

"Ohhhh, okay. Don’t worry your little horn, Sweetie Belle. I know all about secrets and how secretly secretive they are. Come with me," Pinkie whispered as she grabbed Sweetie and hoisted her upstairs.

A lone customer walked up to the counter. “Hello? Is my order ready yet? Um… hello?”


"There we go! Everything’s better with party hats! So, now what'd you want to talk about?"

Sweetie gulped. It’s now or never. I have to tell her. "Well, I—"

"No no, wait! I wanna see if I can guess what you’re going to say!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "Did you want to throw a party?"

"No," Sweetie answered. "Please, I just want to—"

"Or maybe you wanted to throw a party for somepony else!"

"Isn't that the same thing?" she replied with an annoyed expression. She started to pull on her face in frustration. "Listen Pinkie, I really don't think you're gonna—"

"Ooh! Ooh! Did you want a makeover? No, that's silly! You'd go back home with Rarity if you wanted to have a makeover! Duh! Oh wait, I know! You want to have a sleepover! No, that can’t be right; you didn't bring any pillows or anything! Do you want me to help you and your friends do something for a Cutie Mark? Are you taking a survey? Do you want to hear a story? How about—"

"PINKIE, I HAVE A CRUSH ON SOMEONE!" Sweetie yelled at the top of her lungs. She then quickly covered her mouth in shock. Pinkie gasped, but then she embraced the young lover in a hug.

"Oh my gosh, Sweetie Belle, that's so great! You have your very own special somepony! I just can't believe it! Now you and your lucky guy can hook up and be little boyfriend and little girlfriend and be happy together forever! So, who is it? Is it somepony I know? It’s not that kid in your class with the weird glare, is it? Because he kinda creeps me out sometimes!"

Sweetie covered the talkative pony’s mouth, but she continued speaking anyway until Sweetie cast a serious glare.

"Swear you won't tell anypony," said Sweetie.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" Pinkie stated, repeating her famous swear.

Sweetie glanced around, still paranoid about not wanting anyone else to know, and then whispered in her ear, "It's Spike."

"Spike?" Pinkie exclaimed, jumping out of her young friend’s grasp. Sweetie shushed her, but the Element of Laughter just started laughing. "Wow, that's so funny!"

"Funny? Why is that so funny?" Sweetie asked.

"It's funny because Spike already has a crush on Rarity, and now you have a crush on Spike, so it's all like a funny little triangle of—” But then she gasped. “Wait, no! I can’t! I promised!”

"Wait, w-what did you just say?" Sweetie asked with a horrified expression.

"NOTHING! I said nothing! Spike trusted me with his secret, and I'm not going to blab it out to anypony! No way, no how! ...But I just did, didn't I?"

“Spike has a crush on— on Rarity? My sister Rarity?"

Pinkie sadly nodded.

I can’t believe it. Spike trusted me. He trusted me. What kind of a friend am I?

"I don’t believe it..." Tears started welling up in her eyes. Sweetie Belle got off her seat and walked out.

"Sweetie Belle, wait!" But she didn't wait. She kept running and even ran past Scootaloo and Apple Bloom as they were walking into the shop.

“Huh?” said Scootaloo.

Apple Bloom looked back. “Was that Sweetie Belle? What happened to her?”

Pinkie ran to the door and watched helplessly as the filly whom had trusted her with her heart ran as fast as she could from the store, crying all the while. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo ran out after her.

Oh, no! Now look what you've done, Pinkie Pie! Not only did you break your promise to Spike, but now Sweetie Belle is all saddy-waddy! You broke two hearts in one day!

"I have to fix this! I owe it to myself, and to Spike, and Sweetie Belle!" She thought for a little bit, before gasping and clenching her hooves together. "I know just what to do!"


"Thank you ever so much for being with me at the spa and helping me shop today, Fluttershy. You truly are the most wonderful, all around best friend a pony could ever ask for," said Rarity. The sun was setting and they were nearing Rarity’s home, with several bags of fashion items in hoof.

"No problem Rarity," Fluttershy replied, smiling softly and even blushing a little. "I'm always happy to lend a helping hoof to a very good friend."

"Hmm. Still locked. I suppose Sweetie Belle must still be out with her little circle of friends,” said Rarity. “It's getting awfully late though, and I still need to have a few words with her."

Upon hearing Sweetie Belle's name, Fluttershy became reminded of Sweetie's dilemma, and how little she had been able to help her with her love problem, and her smile vanished.

"Alright, and... there we go," Rarity said, unlocking the door. She turned to Fluttershy and immediately noticed how upset she looked. "Fluttershy darling, what's the matter?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing."

Rarity stepped forward. "Don't be so modest, dear. I can see that something's wrong. What is it? Tell me! TELL ME!"

"I— Well..." How am I supposed to explain to her what happened without breaking my promise? "You see, earlier today, I was talking to a friend, and they, just had a really big problem, that's all. A love problem."

"A love problem?" Rarity repeated in concern. "Who is this pony? Do I know them?"

"I- I can't tell you."

Rarity was inches away from Fluttershy's face now. "Why not? This sounds like a really huge problem, Fluttershy! If you tell me who it is, then maybe I can help them!"

"Oh, I really can't!" Fluttershy responded. Sweat began to trickle down her face. "I promised them I wouldn't! I— I have to go, Rarity! Bye!" She ran off in a panic.

"Why has everypony been running off lately?" She took a sniff at herself. "Is it the perfume?"


Nonetheless, she walked inside and flipped the lights on. As she set all her bags down on the table, she heard a banging noise. She looked up to see something was banging on the ceiling repeatedly from above. Opal, annoyed by this sound, covered her ears with a pillow.

"What in Equestria...?" Rarity headed upstairs, and saw that the door to her sister’s room was slightly ajar.

What is that little filly doing? And if she's home already, then why'd she lock the front door? She was about to swing the door open.

"UHHH! I'm such an idiot!"

Upon hearing this sudden outburst, Rarity instead gently opened the door a crack and peeked inside to bear witness to the unfolding drama. Sweetie Belle was stamping down on her bedroom floor in frustration.

"How could I be so stupid? I knew I was just wasting my time!" Having physically exerted her anger, she buried her face in her pillows. "I can't believe I went through all that trouble, trying to figure out what to do about being in love with Spike, when it turns out he has a crush on Rarity! It's hopeless!" She slammed her hoof down. "Just forget it! I should've never even bothered in the first place. I’m too young to have a special somepony anyway."

After a few seconds, she wrapped the blanket over herself. Tears were dripping down her older sister’s face.

Sweetie Belle…