• Published 17th Aug 2016
  • 667 Views, 27 Comments

The Music Makers - Talon and Thorn



When Ponyville-School gets money to set up its own band it looks like it will be good business for Medley but when a pair of flamboyant stallions turn up in town offering cheaper instruments Bluenote and Cheerilee have a hard decision to make

  • ...
1
 27
 667

First Movement - Part One - Music Maker 4000

“So we’ll need one of these, and one of these, and one, no two of these!” exclaimed Bluenote as she danced along the shelves of the music shop. As she made each selection she tossed it over her shoulder. Behind her Medley rushed around, grabbing the instruments as gently as possible and adding them to the growing pile stacked on her back. “Oooh! We have to have one of these!” she said as she picked up a trombone and gently cradled it for a moment before tossing it on to Medley.

“Thanks for helping me pick out what we’ll need for the school band,” said Cheerilee. The school teacher was walking alongside her fellow earth pony and flipping through a few books of music as she went. “But are you sure the grant will cover all of this?”

“No problem!” exclaimed Bluenote thumping a hoof against a tambourine, “The princess wants to make sure that every foal in Equestria gets a chance to study music at school and she’s not being cheap about it. We should be able to buy enough instruments to put together a decent band. Medley’s offered to give us a bulk discount as well,” she grinned at her friend, “Haven't you?”

The shopkeeper looked a little uncomfortable. “I’m sure I can offer a five...” Bluenote gave her friend a sharp look, “Um, ten...” the earth pony waved a hoof, “Fifteen percent discount?” continued Medley, a pained expression passing over her face.

“Don’t worry, think of it as good publicity. If they know how much of a discount you’re offering other schools will come to you as well,” said Bluenote with a smile; “With that money off we can even afford... oooh! One of these!” she galloped over towards a harpsichord placed near the back of the store, before throwing herself onto the stool and raising her front hooves over the keyboard.

“Well I’m glad you’re here to help me out. I don’t mind a dance now and then, but music isn't really my forte,” said Cheerilee, raising her voice over the sound of the tune her friend was tapping out.

“I don’t think you’ve made that bad a job of it so far,” said Bluenote with a smile, “the school band might be a bit light on instruments, but the foals are certainly enjoying themselves.”

“Maybe, but I’m not really a music teacher, like you,” her ears flattened. “It’s a shame we don’t have enough money to pay for the instruments and pay you to help out as well. It’s very kind of you to volunteer your time, but we really should pay you for the work.”

Bluenote waved away the compliment. “That’s all right. I used to work at a school a few years ago,” she grimaced, “It didn’t work out. I’d help you more often but my paying clients do put food on the table.” She shrugged. “Anyway,” she glanced over at the pile of instruments balanced precariously on Medley’s back, “I think we should just about have enough left for a string section. Where do you keep your violins?” she called to the shop keeper.

“They’re over there,” said Medley, pointing with a hoof and almost overbalancing as she did so. “Just let me put this lot down and I’ll show you what I’ve got in stock, you won’t be disappointed. There isn’t a finer selection between here and Canterlot.” She glowed with pride for a moment before staggering over towards the register. Once there she carefully unloaded herself and started to pack the purchases away in the cases. She also started to reach for the various materials needed to maintain them. There was no point selling them if the new owners couldn’t keep them in tip top condition. She grinned to herself, maybe Bluenote had managed to negotiate her prices down a bit but this was still a big sell for her, it would make this month one of the most profitable ever. She carefully laid out a flute in its case. Suddenly something made her ears prick up, it sounded like music coming from outside the store. It was faint at the moment but quickly getting louder. She cocked her head, oddly she didn’t recognise the instrument, maybe some sort of organ?

Behind her Bluenote noticed the tune as well. “What’s that?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” said Medley as she trotted over to the door and stuck her head out onto the street. Straining her eyes she could just about make out a crowd of excited ponies gathering near the school building. They were apparently attracted by a strange contraption. It seemed to be part vehicle, part organ and part factory. Cogs and pulleys spun while electricity would occasionally crackle. A jaunty tune emanated from it.

“Let's see what’s going on!” exclaimed Cheerilee as she joined Medley at the door, her shopping trip apparently forgotten. She trotted out of the shop towards the device. Bluenote stopped for a moment before shrugging and following the school teacher.

Medley frowned for a moment. She had the strongest feeling that this was going to be trouble, but then her curiosity won out and she followed her customers...


My little pony...
Ah ah ah...
(My Little Pony)
Friendship sounded so off-key to me.
(My Little Pony)
But now you're here, and now I see...
A loyal backing
Honest melodies!
Songs to share
With loving harmonies!
Joyous dance --
Such a lovely feat --
And magic makes the perfect beat!
You are my little ponies...
Friends make the best music of all!


The trio of mares galloped across the town to join the rapidly growing herd of ponies around the strange contraption. Two tall, slim, tan coated unicorn stallions stood on top of the creation. They shared a significant family resemblance, helped by their identical wardrobes. Each was clad in striped vests and bow ties with straw boaters resting on their heads. In fact, the only visible difference between them was that one of them had a carefully trimmed red moustache on his upper lip. They leapt down from their perch as Medley, Bluenote and Cheerilee reached the crowd.

“What’s going on here?” asked Cheerilee, “What’s this thing doing by the school?”

“Excuse me ma’am,” said the moustache wearer as he approached the newcomers, “Would I be right in guessing that you are none other than Miss Cheerilee? The local school marm?”

“Why, um, yes,” stuttered Cheerilee, rather surprised, “How do you know me?”

“We had a run in with one of your town’s folk a few months ago. She told us of you and your school, although her description did not do you credit,” said the other stallion as he doffed his hat to the magenta mare.

“Oh, um, well, thank you!” exclaimed Cheerilee blushing a little. Medley frowned, these strangers seemed to be laying the compliments on rather thickly.

“Now would I be right in saying that your school was recently the beneficiary of a governmental grant with the aim of providing this fine town with a school band?” said the first stallion.

“Yes, I was just about to buy the instruments for it from Medley here,” Cheerilee gestured to the pegasus.

“Ah, then we have arrived just in time, before you made a terrible mistake!”

“What mistake?” asked Medley angrily, stepping between the stallion and Cheerilee. “Who are you ponies anyway?”

In way of an answer the two stallions stepped back before turning to each other and nodding. Their horns glowed and behind them the strange organ like music coming from their device intensified as the pair began to sing: -

Well, lookie what we got here, brother of mine. It's the same in every town
Schools with talented foals, eager minds, but not a single instrument to be found
Maybe they're not aware that there's really no need for this teary despair, started the first stallion

And the key that they need to solve the sad music shortage you and I will share, continued the second.

Well you've got opportunity
In this very community, the two of them cried in harmony.
He's Flim, said the mustacheless unicorn.
He's Flam, said his brother.
We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers
Travelling sales ponies nonpareil! They sang together.

“Non-pa what?” exclaimed Medley, astonished at the sudden outburst.

“Nonpareil,” corrected Flam.
That's exactly the reason why, you see
No pony else in this whole place will give you such a chance to be where you need to be
And that's a new band, with bells and whistles
Fresh crafted and ready for playing
Music, sweet and harmonious, to get the town a-swaying

“I doubt that,” continued Medley, scowling at the new arrivals. It sounded like they were trying to steal her customers. She didn’t mind honest competition, but these flash arrivals were rubbing her up the wrong way.

So take this opportunity, continued the twins,
In this very community
He's Flim,
He's Flam,
We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers
Travelling sales ponies nonpareil.

The two unicorns agilely flipped onto the strange device they had apparently brought into town with them.

I suppose by now you're wondering about our peculiar mode of transport
I say, our mode of locomotion
And I suppose by now you're wondering, where are these instruments?
Any horse can make a claim and any pony can do the same
But my brother and I have something most unique and superb
Unseen at any time in this great new world
And that's opportunity

Folks, the one and only, the biggest and the best, continued the two, gesturing to their creation as chained lightning ran over its metal cover.
The unbelievable, exclaimed Flim.
Unimpeachable, added Flam.
Indispensable.
I can't believe-able.
Flim Flam Brothers’ Super Speedy Music Maker 4000, they both cried in triumph.

“What d'you say, ponies?” cried Flam to the crowd which had grown even larger during their song. The population of Ponyville was never ones to miss any spectacle. Medley noticed most of her fellow element bearers were amongst them. Lyra had scrabbled to the front of the crowd, her eyes wide as dinner plates as she took in the show. Vinyl had likewise joined the mob and was apparently paying more attention to the brothers’ invention rather than the salestallions themselves. The white unicorn was almost drooling over the contraption. Octavia was also present but was at the back, apparently bemused by the occasion. Only Fluttershy didn’t appear to be present. For a moment Medley hoped the rest of the townsfolk wouldn’t be taken in by the razzle dazzle but then the excited crowd around her started to take up the stallions’ song.

Oh, we got opportunity, they began
In this very community
Please Flim, please Flam, help us out of this jam
With the Flim Flam Brothers’ Super Speedy Music Maker 4000

“Now, miss,” said Flam to the still somewhat stunned Cheerilee, “To allow me and my brother to provide a demonstration of our machine’s abilities would you mind selecting a type of instrument that you’d like to hear the melodious sound of in your little school’s band?”

“Oh, well a violin, I guess. My mother used to play you see, and...” said Cheerilee.

“A violin!” exclaimed Flim, “The perfect choice, one of the classics! Now how much would you pay for a fine example of that particular musical instrument?”

“Well Medley was going to charge me one hundred and fifty bits,” the school teacher’s eyes flashed over to the shop keeper.

“One hundred and fifty bits you say,” exclaimed Flam loud enough for the whole crowd to hear, “Now what would you say if I was to offer you an instrument of equal quality for not one hundred and fifty bits, not even a hundred bits. No! For fifty bits!”

“Fifty bits!” exclaimed Medley. “That would hardly cover decent materials, let alone the time to make it!”

“You’ll see,” said Flam with a wink, “Opportunity, in your community! Ready Flim?” he asked, lighting up his horn.

“Ready Flam,” confirmed his brother, doing the same, “let's bing bang zam! And show these lovely ponies a world of affordable music!”

Music, music, music, music... chanted the crowd, gathering together tighter as they all tried to get a look at the Super Speedy Music Maker 4000.

“Watch closely my friends!” exclaimed Flim.

“The fun begins!” continued his brother. His aura wrapped around several planks of wood and fed them in a maw at the back of the Music Maker. A chugging sound emerged from the machine and the wood could be seen moving along a conveyor belt within it. Leaping over the nearby townsfolk Vinyl rushed to the front of the crowd and stared at the workings, her snout almost pressed against the glass window. Flim glanced down at the white unicorn with a smile on his face.

“Now, here's where the magic happens, right here in the guts of this machine. The most perfect raw materials are cut apart and reassembled into the required instrument more quickly and more accurately than any craftpony could ever hope to achieve!” Within the machine the moving parts became a blur as the plank was quickly dismembered by a range of saw blades. Within moments the form of the instrument began to materialise. First the body, then the neck, pegbox, bridge, sound post and finally tailpiece. Levitating brushes applied a layer of varnish and in a flash of light it was dried before strings were fitted and the completed instrument deposited at the front of the contraption.

“And there you have it folks! A completed instrument easily the equal of one you would buy from other manufacturers for three times the price. Why, I dare say there would certainly be no finer instrument in your whole town!” He lifted the violin above his head in his aura for the rest of the crowd to see.

Now wait, you hucksters, hold it! cried Medley, no longer able to hold herself back from their taunting.
You’ve gone and oversold it!
I guarantee that what you have there won't compare
For the very most important ingredient
Can't be added or done expedient
And it's quality, pure hoof made quality and care! she looked around the crowd, a depressingly small proportion of whom seemed to have been swayed by her words. Most were still marvelling at the new instrument. Leaping into the air with a flap of her wings she grabbed the newly made instrument and began to examine it. It was still slightly warm to the touch but to her surprise actually seemed well made. Her hooves quickly flashed over the instrument, checking it for any flaws.

Well my filly, I'm glad you brought that up, my dear, I say I'm glad you brought that up, said Flam a little patronisingly. Apparently not worried by Medley’s actions.
You'll see that we are very picky when it comes to quality, if you'll kindly try a tune? He levitated a bow up to the pegasus who took it cautiously.

Expecting some sort of trick, she gingerly ran it across the strings. To her surprise the sound that rose from it was pure and loud. She tried a simple tune and the music carried across the whole area. Her ears drooped as it appeared her earlier argument was invalid.

Yes, sir, yes ma'am this great machine, it's just the very best, exclaimed Flim with a grin.
So whaddaya say then, ponies
Care to step into the modern world
And put the Super Speedy Music Maker 4000 to the test?

Music, music, music, music... continued the crowd, still caught up in the spectacle.

“What do you think, folks?” continued the brothers, “Do you see what your friend can't? I see it clear as day! I know she does!” he pointed into the crowd, “So does he! C'mon Ponyville, you know what I'm talking about! Your school wants a band, needs a band, and we can make the instruments quicker, cheaper and with better quality than anypony else!”

We're saying you've got
Opportunity
In this very community, sang Flam egging on the crowd
He's Flim

He's Flam, added his brother.

We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers, they both continued.
Travelling sales ponies nonpareil
Yeah! Both of the brothers dropped to their hind knees waving their forehooves in the air.

Around them the crowd stamped their appreciation at the entertainment. Panting, Flim got back to his hooves. “Now miss Cheerilee, after our little demonstration there,” he pointed to the violin still held in Medley’s hoof, “I’d like to present you with our full price list, the music maker here can construct almost anything your young musicians might need and at an extremely competitive price. Such are the benefits of the very latest in magitech.” He levitated a sheet of paper in front of the school teacher for her to read.

“These prices are excellent,” she gasped, starting to run over all the instruments she had been planning to buy for her school. “They’re less than half what Medley was going to charge.”

“Let me see that!” cried Medley grabbing the piece of paper. “These would hardly even cover the cost of the materials.” She glared up at the twins. “These are too good to be true! How can you make any sort of profit?”

“Maybe we’re just not as greedy as some other merchants,” said Flam giving a wide smile at Medley, causing the pegasus to snort in irritation. “We are happier with a more modest income. Plus, the Music Maker is a very efficient device. There is little waste in the process and we only make what is needed so our overheads are low.”

“There has to be some sort of con here!” muttered Medley, turning over the violin in her wings and examining it closely. To her annoyance it seemed almost perfect.

“Maybe you shouldn’t be taking this so personally Medley,” said Bluenote, “I know the band was a big sell for you, but it’s just business.”

“Maybe,” grumbled the blue pegasus, she didn’t want to let on how big a deal this sale was for her. Business had been a bit slow recently and her bigger selling times like Hearthwarming and tax rebate season were still awhile away.

“Well, if the Flim Flam brothers are offering a better price for equally high quality goods I’ll have to buy from them really,” said Cheerilee looking a little awkward. “I have to justify the purchase to the department of education,” she explained.

“I’m still sure there’s some sort of con!” said Medley eyeing the brothers who looked back with relaxed surety.

“Oh, well I don’t have to make the purchase now,” mumbled Cheerilee, not meeting the gaze of the element bearer, “if you can prove something's wrong.”

“I am afraid me and my brother cannot delay too long in this village. No matter how picturesque it might be,” said Flam. “We have appointments in other settlements.”

“We need to be off in no more than two days,” said his brother.

“Isn’t that convenient,” growled Medley, “Look, why don’t I get some ponies to check this out,” she gestured to the violin.

“I guess that’s fair,” said Cheerilee glancing over at Bluenote and biting her lip, “As long as it doesn’t take all that long.”

“You’re on!” exclaimed Medley, leaping into the air and flying across the town square.

After watching her go Cheerilee dropped her gaze to the price list the brothers had given her. “These really are so much cheaper and they do cover almost everything we’d need for the band,” she said. “If I bought the instruments here I’d have quite a bit left over.” She looked up at Bluenote. “Enough to employ a part time music teacher as well. For this year at least,” she continued pointedly.

Bluenote’s ears pricked up. Certainly she liked her current life traveling from town to town to service most of her clients, and her last time working for a school hadn’t gone so well, but there were times when she’d prefer a more stable job. Where she didn’t have to travel so much, and could have a more fixed timetable. She knew Medley wanted the contract to provide the instruments for the school, but shouldn’t she get what she wanted as well? If the brothers' instruments were as good as the ones Medley made then it wouldn’t be like the foals were losing out, and they’d get more time with a permanent teacher out of the deal. Still, it seemed a little greedy for her to take the money from Medley, but wasn’t Medley taking it from her if you looked at it from a certain point of view? She felt so conflicted.

Bluenote’s internal discussion was suddenly disturbed by the return of Medley along with Octavia and Vinyl. “Come on Octavia,” prompted Medley, “Surely you’re the best mare to see if there’s anything wrong with this thing!” She waved the violin around.

“I doubt my skills in analysing its construction are any greater than yours. Still, I will see what I can do,” said the earth pony. She gently took the instrument into her hooves and spent several minutes slowly turning it around and examining it from all directions. Then she rested it on her neck, plucking at the strings. Her ears twitched slightly as she ran through the scales. Finally, she took up the bow and gently ran it across the strings playing a quick tune.

“So?” asked Medley impatiently.

“It is not of the highest quality,” said Octavia, “And it is a little mistuned...”

“I knew it!” exclaimed the pegasus before she was silenced by Ocatvia’s raised hoof.

“My standards may be somewhat higher than most, I have had experience with some of the finest instruments in Equestria and beyond. It is true that it does not match up with them, but that does not mean it is flawed. Given it is to be used to train foals I would say it was of acceptable quality.” She gave Medley an apologetic smile. “It may not be as good as the ones you stock, but the difference is only slight.” She noted Medley’s frown. “I am sorry, but given the speed it was created and its cost, this is a marvel.”

“Vinyl,” said Medley desperately, “You know about this sort of thing, there’s gotta be something wrong with that monstrosity.” She gestured at the Music Maker.

“I don’t know Medley,” said the unicorn peering at the device through her purple glasses. “I’d certainly like to have a closer look at it, give it a once over. But I can’t see any problem with it from here. It’s quite a beauty.” She started to trot towards the vehicle but Flam put himself in the way.

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that,” he said, “The Music Maker 4000 is based on proprietary technology and the patent is still pending, we cannot let anypony look at its workings at this time!”

“But surely, brother, we could make an exception for such a charming mare?” asked Flim as he slipped past his brother and took Vinyl’s hoof before kissing it. “I’m so glad we bumped into you in Canterlot all those months ago my dear.”

“I’m sorry, dude,” said Vinyl drawing her hoof back. “Have we met?”

“Oh, um, you were the one that told us of this delightful hamlet, we danced, just after the Equinox, in Canterlot,” said Flim, looking rather crest fallen.

“Sorry, I had a lot to drink that night. I don’t remember a thing.” She shrugged. “I’m sure we had a good time though.” She tried to duck past the salespony to get a better look at the device beyond him.

Flam grinned at his brother’s discomfort. “Yes, you did seem rather inebriated at the time, as was my dear brother. The dancing was, after all, on a table. However, we are still unable to allow you to examine our invention, we have to protect our livelihood after all. However, you may carry out any test you want on the product itself.” He gestured at the violin still grasped by Octavia.

“You’re hiding something!” exclaimed Medley glaring at the brothers.

“Now, now, don’t be a sore loser,” chided Flam. “I understand you make your own instruments, would you give away all your secrets to a rival who might use them to undercut you? We are not acting in any way underhoof. We merely want to keep things fair, we have spent considerable time and effort designing and constructing the Music Maker. We are due a return on that.”

“I guess that sort of makes sense,” agreed Vinyl, “I just wish you’d let me have a look at that thing’s guts. How are you dealing with the mana to motion conversion issues? I’ve managed to sort some issues out with my speakers but I want to know if you guys use the same matrix or if you’re coming at it from another route. I’m sure I could get more juice out of your device if I got a closer look.”

“Maybe she has a point, brother,” said Flim looking at his twin beseechingly, “A trade of information could be most profitable?”

“Business before pleasure brother of mine,” said Flam. “Maybe we can talk shop with Ms Scratch later. Once our current business is concluded.”

“Fine!” mumbled Vinyl as Flim gave a shrug.

“Isn’t there anything you can tell from the violin?” asked Medley.

Taking the instrument in her aura Vinyl peered at it carefully through her glasses, turning it about as she examined it. Finally, she floated it in front of her mouth and stuck out her tongue and gave the thing a lick. “Spruce and Maple,” she concluded, “Both from the Scratch Family sawmill, number two shed, unless dad’s changed the oil we use. They haven't skimped on the materials.”

“Your family owns that saw mill?” asked Flam sounding slightly nervous.

“Yep, since great grandpa Teak built the place. Like you said, they can’t be making much profit on this, Dad doesn’t sell this stuff cheap. But,” she turned back to Medley, “I can’t see anything wrong with the product. The cutting’s near perfect, glue looks good, should last for years.” She shrugged.

“See, even your friends agree that our product is superior, not to mention cheaper,” exclaimed Flim, throwing a leg around Cheerilee.

“I don’t know,” said the school teacher, edging away from the enthusiastic sales pony. “Maybe Medley is right; it does seem a little too good to be true.”

“But think of all the happy young foals you can please with new instruments,” said Flam.

“Happy smiling faces looking up at you,” added Flim, “and I’m sure you can find something to spend the monies saved on, new books? An increase in teacher’s salaries?” he suggested.

“Well, um, maybe we could take on a part time music teacher.” Cheerilee’s eyes flicked over towards Bluenote. “What do you think?” She asked.

It seemed to Bluenote that suddenly all eyes were on her, Cheerilee’s pleading for somepony else to take the responsibility, Medley’s were almost accusing and the brothers’ glistened with avarice. She swallowed painfully, her first thought was to agree with Medley. This was almost too good a deal. But neither Vinyl or Octavia or even Medley herself could see anything wrong with the instrument they had seen. The brothers’ machine seemed flawless and did clearly reduce the price of producing instruments. Maybe they were just offering a good deal and maybe Medley was just jealous. Of course there was also the chance of getting a fixed position working for the school. She loved all her little students no matter how spread out they were, but she had to admit that having to travel so much was getting a little wearing, having to get up early to catch trains, fitting her life around shifting timetables. And her work varied so much from week to week it was hard to sort out a proper budget. A nice fixed job, even if only for this year would be a breath of fresh air. But what about Medley losing out on a big sell? She probably needed the money as well, the pegasus was normally taciturn about her income but Bluenote knew business wasn’t always that good.

As if she was reading her mind Medley pointed at her. “Come on Bluenote,” she growled. “Tell her what a bad idea that would be! These guys are scam artists. My product is clearly superior!” She stamped a hoof on the ground. “It’s not like the foals need a full time teacher, you’re always around to help out!”

A look of anger flashed across Bluenote’s face as she processed her friend’s words. “I am the teacher she’s talking about you know! What, do you think I’m not good enough to actually get paid for helping out the school? What's the point of you making instruments if there’s nopony to teach anypony how to use them?”

Medley backed away from her friend, surprised by the venom in her voice. “I didn’t mean that. I’m just surprised Cheerilee wanted to hire you as a teacher,” she winced as the words left her mouth and she quickly tried to limit the damage, but a glare from Bluenote silenced her.

The earth pony turned back towards the teacher. “I definitely think you should take up the Flim Flam Brothers' offer. Their instruments are cheaper and we can’t find anything wrong with them. You can outfit the whole band, and if you do have anything left over I’ll give you a good deal on helping to train them. There’s a school competition up in Canterlot next month. With a bit of work I’m certain I can get the foals to place in that!”

“Oh, um well, if you’re sure,” mumbled Cheerilee looking back and forth between the arguing friends. For a moment it looked like Medley might say something else as her face turned dark as thunder but she controlled herself and spun around, leaping into the air before swooping off towards her shop.

“An excellent choice,” said Flim holding out a price list.

“Just choose what you want and we’ll get straight on constructing them,” added Flam, “You can pay and pick them up tomorrow.”

For a moment Bluenote glanced over at the retreating form of her friend before turning back to the brothers. “We’ll need one of these, and one of these and one, no two of these,” she said pointing at the list as Cheerilee nodded along with her.

Author's Note:

Hi again, it's been a while since I last produced something for the Cadenceverse.

This and a few other stories have been in my mind for a few years now and this one bubbled to the top eventually. It took about three times longer than I meant to write and probably gained about two extra chapters from the first outline.

I felt the Flim Flam brothers were a natural additional to the C-verse given their singing and theatrical bent so here they are.

I'm currently planning to publish a chapter a day for the next week or so.

Thanks to Grass and Clouds 2 and docontra for their suggestions and editing.

Comments are always welcome.