• Published 24th Aug 2016
  • 397 Views, 7 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Role in Life - Middle Ground



The continuation of the first story with Diane looking for her own role in life.

  • ...
 7
 397

Chapter 2 - The Sugar Rush

It has taken us several days of planning and preparation, we have made many different kinds of pastries, cakes, and other baked goods, and 'Sweet Hearts' is all ready for the many customers that were to come on this day. Right now, it is the time of the parade and the city was buzzing with excitement and the streets are full of attractions for the tourists. Tough Love and I are now making the finishing touches on the preparations before opening.

"Plates full of assorted cookies?" Tough Love was going over a list of all the stuff we'll be selling to the customers.

"Check! Chocolate chip, peanut butter, cinnamon, raisin, all ready." I looked over all the plates.

"Platters of assorted muffins and cupcakes?" I could tell Tough Love was focused.

"Check! Blueberry, walnut, chocolate, strawberry, all in a row." They all looked really good.

"And all the pies are ready to go. I think we're set. But the real question is...are you ready?" Tough Love placed her list on the front desk.

"No...." I was so scared. I saw all those customers waiting outside and I feel my hooves hurting already.

Tough Love chuckled, "I know how you feel. You get used to it after a couple of times. You better get ready because we're opening right now." She made her way to the door and was ready to open the bakery.

I gulped with expectation as I readied myself for the busiest day I have ever gotten.

"And we are open!" Tough Love opened the door and customers started flooding into the bakery like we were selling candy to fillies. For several minutes, I was overwhelmed by what seemed like limitless orders from the seemingly endless visiting customers. I ran back and forth to satisfy the customers and I carried out their orders without delay...thankfully. Finally, after nearly three hours of running and taking orders, my break came and I could rest my burning hooves in the break room.

"Well done, Diane. Thanks to you, we got to the halfway point of the Sugar Rush. At this point, the parade will start and most of the customers will start to lessen here. So the rest of the day will be a little easier from here." Thank the Princesses for this...! My four aching hooves rejoiced! Suddenly, we started hearing the sounds of cheers from the break room.

"What is going on out there? Is that the parade?" I wasn't expecting it to come near the bakery.

"No, the parade doesn't come to this side of town. That is probably my friend visiting right now." Tough Love then left the break room to find out what all the noise was about. I stumbled on my aching hooves out of the break room to see an adult female Earth pony with a light yellow coat, a blue mane and tail, and she was wearing a really flashy outfit.

"Hello, everypony! Sapphire Shores is here!" This mare was THE Sapphire Shores! She's an amazing singer and dancer! All of Equestria knows who she is and I nearly squealed!

"Glad you could make it, Sapphire. We don't see each other often." Tough Love had already reserved Sapphire Shores her own table. She even vacated the other customers out of the bakery for this private visit. All the ponies outside were going crazy.

"Hey there, Toughy! I'm glad you're doing well. I see you're still rockin' the sweets business!" Sapphire Shores sat in her seat and so did Tough Love. I can't believe Tough Love is friends with THE Sapphire Shores!

"Hmm? Who is your friend?" Sapphire Shores is looking at me! I feel my hooves turning to jelly, and not because they're tired!

"Her name is Diane Pie. She became a part of our little family not too long ago." Tough Love is introducing me to Sapphire Shores!

"I see Jubilee is still as sweet as ever! So Diane, are you an employee here?" I wanted to answer Sapphire Shores' question, but my mouth was too tongue-tied to speak actual words.

"You left her speechless, Sapphire." Tough Love chuckled. I must look like such a fool.

"This happens all the time." Sapphire Shores laughed. No matter how hard I tried, my mouth won't make any words. Why me?!

"Diane, would you please go and take Sapphire Shores her order? She doesn't visit this place often." I nodded since my voice wasn't working.

"I would like a piece of that cinnamon pie right there. And some milk please." I nodded and rushed to go get Sapphire Shores' order. I willed my legs to move to satisfy the order and quickly delivered it to her.

"Oh my! Thank you very much." Sapphire Shores began eating the piece of pie she ordered. I served THE Sapphire Shores!

"Diane, I think you're still on your break right now. Could you give us some private time please?" Tough Love sounded a little annoyed, so I quickly left the room and went into the break room. OMG! I met and served THE Sapphire Shores! I sat at the break room table to breathe. But then I realized that I have to get her autograph! I searched for a pen and paper before she leaves. I finally found what I needed and walked over to the door to see Tough Love and Sapphire Shores enjoying their private time. I then stopped and went back into the break room, realizing that I would only ruin their time together. After nearly thirty minutes, my break had ended. I walked out of the break room to see that they just now ended their private time with Sapphire Shores getting ready to leave.

"I wish I could stay longer, but...." Sapphire Shores gave a sigh when she began to leave the bakery.

"I know you're pretty busy with being a pop idol. I'm just glad you came to visit again." Tough Love took the plate and glass to the sink after their use.

"I'm just glad my agent could let me come and visit at all! I can't even spoil myself every once in a while because of them!" Sapphire Shores gave a pouty face. The life of a pop idol must be really hard....

"Try running a bakery with customers like the ones outside. It's a nightmare." Tough Love laughed. I very much agree....

Sapphire Shores then looked at me, "It was nice meeting you, Diane, and thank you. I enjoyed this visit." I was complimented by THE Sapphire Shores! I then showed my pen and paper to her.

"C-Ca...Ca-Ca...n......n....!" My voice had broke just when I wanted to ask for her autograph! Why me?! Why me?!

"Yes, you can have my autograph." Sapphire Shores took my pen and paper and wrote her autograph. OMG! OMG! OMG! I got an autograph from THE Sapphire Shores! My eyes sparkled so much I was seeing stars!

"You certainly made her happy, Sapphire.... I didn't even know she was such a fan-mare." I could tell Tough Love was not surprised.

"I'm just glad I came to visit!" Sapphire Shores laughed as she began making her way to the door. The ponies outside then began squealing as she approached.

"Um...Toughy, is there another way out?" Sapphire Shores was too scared to go out the front door. I can't blame her....

"There is a door in the break room. You'll be able to avoid the crazy fans easily." Tough Love then began preparing for the rest of the Sugar Rush.

"Thank you, Toughy! I'll be sure to visit when I can! Take care and stay fabulous!" Sapphire Shores then went into the break room to escape the crazy fans. I can't believe I met with THE Sapphire Shores! I'm so happy to be alive!

"Alright Diane, time to get back to work. You've had your break and those customers won't stop until the end of the day. Help me get ready." I know something amazing just happened to me, but now I have work to do...and my four hooves and I now feel sad now.