• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 1,016 Views, 18 Comments

Memory of a Dream - SulliedInk



Pinkie wasn't always so happy. After all, those who smile the most have endured the greatest pain.

  • ...
 18
 1,016

This Feeling of Darkness

My sisters... Why? Why did you do that? How could you have thought about doing that? You were smiling. I was smiling. You were smiling through me. They lay on the ground bleeding, and I was curled up in a ball screaming. In my pain, you took over. You did this to them. You dared hurt them this bad.

Me? Are you crazy? I am a pigment of your mind! I am the thing you always wanted to be Pinkie! I am the person you were too afraid to be! I am you! I am the better you!

No, please! Stop! I was screaming in pain, but you were only tearing me apart even more. I heard your maniacal laugh echo through the night. You started hitting me, beating me to a pulp. I was crying, yet you kept going. I begged you to stop. You didn't stop. Please stoop hurting me! Please!

Why would I? I have the power! Do you know for how long I've been longing to possess real hooves?! All these years, watching you suffer and scream, I stood powerless. I stood there like a moron, trying to walk. But you were too afraid of me. You knew what you were building Pinkie! Yet somehow, you still managed to continue. Why must you be so terrified of me? I am your true nature! I am the one who doesn't want to smile anymore!

The one who didn't want to smile anymore? What?

***

I wasn't feeling to well, so I grabbed a glass of water. To who was I talking to? In fact, where am I? I looked around. I was back home. There wasn't much to see, other than some old furniture, deflated balloon, and broken pottery. Who am I now? Is any of this real? Am I reliving my memories or merely telling them?

The room started spinning, and the floor gave in beneath my feet. I was sent swirling down a psychedelic vortex of green and dark blue. They ensnared me like vines, and dragged me down into a bottomless void. It was like watching water go down a drain. I didn't know what was going on anymore.

***

When I woke up again, I was in the forest clearing. I saw my face reflected in the water, and noticed I was a young filly again. Wait, water? I thought I was in a swamp. I looked over, and saw my sisters. Their wounds were bandaged with leaves and tied together with vines. Who moved us? Who did this?

When they finally woke up, I urged them to keep moving. We were running out of time, even though I never recalled a time limit. They followed, as we went in deeper and deeper, until the water was far away. We stopped. My younger sister asked me what was going on. I didn't even know anymore. She pointed at my hooves. I looked.

My hooves were covered in dried blood. It had stacked up over my furry coat, almost like a lizard's scales. I was horrified. Then, I heard my older sister whisper in my ear: "Why did you have to take us away?" I turned around, but there was no one. I couldn't see any light. I was scared, lost in my own torment. I tried running, but it was of no use. The voices kept coming back.

I heard them whisper out my name. They were calling out to me, all in an attempt to drag me back down into the darkness. I couldn't stand it anymore. I threw myself on the ground, and started rolling around on my back. I was shaking in all directions, screaming. I clenched my hooves to my forehead, trying to squeeze out the pain. It was too much. Then I saw it.

At first, it was merely a small light. Afterwards, I distinguished what it was; it was the shadow of mother. She was walking towards me, her steps echoing in the dark. Finally, she knelt by my side, and whispered in my ear: "Are one's actions really all it takes to define them?" My body froze, and my pupils dilated. I understood what she meant. Yes, I understood it now. I pulled out a knife from underneath my coat, and stabbed her in the throat and chest with it.