• Published 14th Jul 2016
  • 1,019 Views, 37 Comments

My Little Pokémon: Gotta Friend them all! - TheOldRedHills



Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Twilight set out on an adventure in a world ravished by Pokémon, making many new friends (and enemies) along the way on the quest to become Pokémon Champion!

  • ...
3
 37
 1,019

Chapter 2: Take to the skies as the Lightning Strikes!

It was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day on the outskirts of Ponyville, there were many trainers out either socialising, relaxing in the sun, or battling and training their Pokémon. Applejack, Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash were, most obviously, doing the latter.

The new and improved Ponyville Gym was set to open tomorrow morning. With rumours spreading around that the leader, whoever it may be, will the toughest the small town has represented in their gym, it was crucial for Rainbow Dash to prepare for her encounter with them.

The trio were stood in a large patch of grass, staring down a small worm-like Pokémon in the face. Dash pulled out her Pokédex to scan the monster, it read:

‘WEEDLE: The Hairy Bug Pokémon
The stinger on this Pokémon's head guarantees that any attacker will get the point right where it hurts.’

‘I don’t know about this one, AJ. It seems a little, erm, weak.’ Rainbow admitted as she scratched the back of her head, examining the lousy bug.

‘Well, d’ya wanna bigger team for when you face the Gym Leader tomorrow?’ Applejack had a grunt in her voice which amplified when she got annoyed.

‘Well…’ Rainbow hesitated as she thought it through. ‘I guess it’ll have to do.’ She grabbed one of the small capsules out of her bag, pushed the white button in the middle which expanded the capsule to a usual Pokéball size, cocked her arm back…

…but couldn’t throw it.

‘I can’t do it, I'm just too worried that chances are I’ll just overshoot and hit a trainer in the eye. It’s not worth it for a pathetic little worm.’ Rainbow, much like an eight year old child would do, sat down in the grass and moped, as both Twilight and Applejack looked at her in confusion and disappointment.

Did she really not want that Pokémon? Twilight thought.

‘Well of you’re not catching it, then I am!’ Applejack grabbed a Pokéball and lobbed it at the Weedle, containing it in a red beam of light. The ball shook one, twice, three times, and then small sparkles sprinked onto the dew covered grass from the ball.

Applejack had caught Weedle.

‘Hey no fair, you can’t do that!’ Rainbow stood up in a fit of rage and looked at the smug Applejack, tossing the Pokéball up and down in the air as if it were some tennis ball.

‘Well I’m sorry sugarcube, but you chickened out,’ Applejack walked off as she spoke calmly. ‘Besides, the more bugs captured that could potentially eat my crop back at the farm, the better.’

‘Nice catch, Applejack,’ Twilight ran up to the girl in the cowboy hat and tapped her on the back. ‘But she’s right Rainbow, there’s thousands of Pokémon out here, you’ll catch one soon.’

‘Yeah I guess, I suppose I need to be a more confident thrower, sorry AJ, you deserved it.’ Dash said very disappointedly, which is unlike her.

‘Awww, don’t worry about it, Rainbow Dash! Like Twilight said, just you wait, you’ll get yourself a mighty fine companion to go with your Froakie.’

So the three of them kept looking, Rainbow Dash didn’t like the look of any of the Pokémon they saw, fussing over their colours or their types, much like she usually does. That was until they came across a bird Pokémon, very small in size, pecking at a berry stuck in the ground. Rainbow Dash loved the look of it, and decided to scan it with her Pokédex.

‘TAILLOW, the Tiny swallow Pokémon.
TAILLOW has a fierce personality, never backing down, even against the most powerful opponents.’

‘IT’S SO AWESOME, JUST LIKE ME!’ Rainbow’s jaw dropped at the sheer level of ‘coolness’ she saw in Taillow.

‘Rainbow, before you go in throwing away everything you have,’ Twilight blocked Rainbow Dash from even attempting to throw a Pokéball in the little bird’s direction. ‘I’d suggest weakening it first, just to be safe.’

‘Why? Applejack got her Weedle from doing nothing!’ Dash’s face began to turn red from exasperation.

‘Weedle was just a little bug that’s going about its business,’ Applejack piped in, looking at the Pokéball that contained her Weedle. ‘That Taillow looks tough, and will probably fight its way out of any ball you throw at it.’

‘Ugh fine,’ Rainbow Dash said half-heartedly. ‘Go, Froakie.’

Despite Rainbow’s glum attitude, Froakie still kept a happy-go-lucky air as it was sent out.

‘FROA!’ It said in excitement.

‘Alright, we wanna weaken this Taillow, not completely destroy it. So hit it up with a bubble!’ Rainbow Dash commanded her Pokémon, pointing her finger at Taillow, who had no idea what was going on.

Froakie formed a large amount of bubbles using its hands, to which it launched them towards the Taillow. However the bird discovered what was happening, and took to the skies at an amazing speed, avoiding the attack.

‘Awww, come on,’ Rainbow Dash muttered ‘why did you have to be fast?’

Twilight noticed something about the Taillow, so she alerted Dash as fast as she could:

‘Taillow is coming down to hit Froakie with peck, tell it to dodge it!’

‘AAAAH!’ Rainbow Dash panicked. ‘Froakie, avoi-’

But before she could get the words out, the Taillow had collided with Froakie, making it fly backwards. Fortunately it landed on its feet, but it was barely standing. Taillow took back to the skies, preparing for another attack.

‘One more hit and your Froakie is going down.’ Applejack muttered to Rainbow, who looked devastated.

‘Froaaa~’ the little frog cried in tiredness.

‘Right, Froakie, avoid this next peck, and then pound that Taillow to the ground!’ Rainbow Dash looked into Froakie’s eyes for reassurance. To which it nodded in determination.

Taillow swooped to the ground, but Froakie, following its Trainer’s orders, swerved and avoided the attack. As the bird Pokémon panicked, Froakie slammed into Taillow with all its might, not only taking it by surprise, but completely winding and exhausting it.

‘Now,’ Twilight yelled ‘Throw a Pokéball!’

‘Well, here goes nothing.’ Rainbow Dash blindly threw a red and white ball at the tired Taillow, fortunately hitting it and sending it into the Pokéball. The ball shook one, twice, three times. And, much like Applejack’s did earlier, small sparks, locking the ball and encapsulating the Pokémon, flew outwards. Rainbow Dash, feeling a sense of victory, scooped up the Pokéball and held it to the sky.

‘Yes! I caught Taillow!’ She exclaimed in triumph, as the two girls applauded and cheered their fellow peer.

As Rainbow called back in the tired Froakie to rest, a tall, blonde girl approached her.

‘Wow, pretty good work from someone as weak and pathetic as you, Rainbow Crash.’ She said in a voice of utter disgust, causing the three girls to turn around in shock.

‘Oh, hello, Lightning Dust.’ Dash said in a bitter tone.

The girl wore a mint green tank top, ripped jeans, and a hooded jacket. Perched on top of her shoulder was a Chimchar who, despite its Trainer’s cold demeanour, seemed to be very jolly and happy. Rainbow Dash scanned it with her Pokédex:

‘CHIMCHAR: The Chimp Pokémon
CHIMCHAR easily climbs the sheerest of walls and lives on mountain tops. When it sleeps, its flames go out.’

‘You know this varmit?’ Applejack looked in scorn in Dust’s general direction.

‘Oh yeah I do,’ Rainbow Dash never took her eyes away from Lightning Dust’s arrogant face. ‘My experience at the Wonderbolts Academy last year was completely ruined by her and her selfishness.’

‘Oh please,’ Lightning cocked her head back and laughed like a madman. ‘If this is because of how awful you were there and how I outshined you, I don’t want to hear it.’

‘Ugh you little creep! Get out of my sight!’ Rainbow turned away and carried on walking.

‘How’s about we see who’s the better Trainer then, Rainbow Crash,’ Lightning Dust followed her, pushing her way through Twilight and Applejack who were ready to beat up more than just her Pokémon. ‘My Chimchar versus your Taillow, agreed?’ Rainbow turned around with a disgruntled look.

‘Yeah. Agreed.’


Rainbow Dash was prepared to battle once more. She and Lightning Dust had decided to duke it out on an old abandoned Basketball field on the edge of Route One. Twilight was chosen to be the referee this time around, with Applejack standing by Dash for support.

‘Alright, do me proud. Go Taillow!’ Rainbow threw out her Pokéball, and out blasted the Pokémon she had most recently caught.

‘TAILLOW!’ The Pokémon yelled frantically.

‘Chimchar, you know what to do.’ She looked at the Chimp on her shoulder, which jumped off and hopped around.

‘Char! Char!’ It kept on yelling.

‘Okay, it’s one versus one. No other Pokémon may be used.’ Twilight said, whilst stood in the middle of the court.

‘Yeah whatever Grandma, let’s just battle already!’ Lightning replied viciously.

‘Yeah sure, begin.’ Twilight sighed and looked at the ground in defeat as the match started.

‘Okay, we’ll start, Taillow, tackle that Chimchar!’ Rainbow Dash shouted at the bird, which flew over to Chimchar.

‘Dodge that, Chimchar, and use scratch.’ As Lightning Dust said that, Chimchar hopped out of the way of the oncoming Taillow and barged into it, striking the Pokémon to the ground.

‘Right Taillow, take to the skies and hit it with a peck.’ Dash said all confident-like.

‘-LLOOOOWWW!’ The Pokémon launched itself off the ground, sweeping Chimchar off its feet, and began to circle the arena.
‘Has your Pokémon really just chickened out?’ Lightning Dust sniggered.

‘You wish.’ Dash looked to the skies, and saw her Taillow swoop down, knocking the Chimchar several metres into the air, and crashing back on the floor.

‘Charrr~~’ the helpless monkey groaned as it got back onto its feet.

‘C’mon Chimchar, we’re not going to be taken for a bunch of hacks! Hit the Taillow with an ember.’ Dust said, beginning to get annoyed.

‘CHIMMMMM,’ Chimchar began to store a flame ball in its mouth and released it, shouting ‘CHARRRRRR!!!’ in the process.
The fireball knocked Taillows balance off and it plummeted to the ground, forming a dust cloud as it crashed.

‘Awwww, your little bird crashed as well, takes after you, Rainbow Crash!’ Lightning Dust sneered, those words infuriated Dash to no extent, and as the very exhausted Taillow got up, she yelled:

‘FINISH OFF CHIMCHAR WITH A QUICK ATTACK!!’

Taillow started to speed towards Chimchar at a blinding speed, and drove straight into the enemy Pokémon. This made it fly high into the air, and once is had hit the ground, it had fainted.

Rainbow Dash, Twilight and Applejack cheered, as once again, Dash had won the day. Until all of a sudden they heard Lightning Dust scream:

‘PIKACHU, USE SPARK!!’

And as Rainbow Dash turned around, she saw a small yellow Pokémon, no doubt being a Pikachu, firing a bolt of electricity at Taillow, knocking it out instantly.

Lightning Dust chortled as her Pikachu, which not one trainer knew she owned, jumped onto her shoulder. Rainbow Dash pulled out her Pokédex as it told her what that new Pokémon was:

‘PIKACHU: The Mouse Pokémon
It can generate electric attacks from the electric pouches located in both of its cheeks.’

‘Woahhhh no fair, you can’t do that!’ Dash exclaimed to her rival.

‘Well guess what, I just did!’ Lightning Dust smirked at the shocked and disgusted girl.

‘Weedle! Use your string shot to slow Pikachu down!’ Applejack cried to the side of Dash as her newly caught Pokémon fired a web-like substance from its head, covering Pikachu in it and freezing it.

‘Weeeeedleeeee!’ The little bug cried as the Pikachu started to struggle moving.

‘W-w-what are you doing?!’ Dust asked in a heat of embarrassment.

‘I’m makin’ this a fair fight,’ Applejack winked at Rainbow Dash, who grinned back. ‘Now Weedle, use your poison sting!’

‘Weeeee!’ As the Pokémon flung itself at Pikachu, it fell of Lightning Dust’s shoulder and hit the ground with a thud.

‘Pikachu, get up!’ Lightning Dust cried at the mouse, which could not even move.

‘Chaaaaa!’ It yelled trying to budge, but to no avail.

‘Finally, tackle that Pikachu into the high heavens!’ Applejack yelled.

Weedle once again flung itself at Pikachu, knocking it senseless and knocking it out as well. The static coming off the Pokémon shocked Weedle and made it fly back, but it still managed to stand victorious.

‘Weedle Wee!’ It yelled joyously.

‘Not just a lousy bug after all.’ The girl in the cowboy hat laughed.

‘You can’t do that!’ Lightning Dust said in a state of anger and defeat.

‘Well guess what, I just did.’ Applejack jeered, and the other two girls cheered her on.

‘Way to go, AJ!’ Twilight said happily.

‘Just doin’ what I had to do.’ She shrugged and gave a little smirk.

‘You’ve picked a fight with the wrong trainer, Rainbow Crash, you and your little friends.’ Lightning Dust said, exhausted but still furious.

‘Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if you didn’t try to cheat.’ Rainbow walked over to her rival with a determined glint in her eye.

‘Ugh, I hate you so much,’ Lightning muttered, retrieving her Pokémon and turning around. ‘This won’t be the last time we cross paths!’ She shouted, running off into the sunset.

The three girls laughed at how pathetic Lightning Dust was, and then Twilight yawned.

‘Wowww, I’m so exhausted, it’s been such a long day.’ She said.

‘You’re telling me, I’m ready to hit the hay, battling with Pokémon sure does take it out of you.’ Applejack replied, taking off her hat and scratching her head.

‘I’m gonna head back home and get some rest,’ Rainbow Dash added on, catching Twilight’s contagious yawn. ‘I suggest you guys do the same too. You all wanna be awake when I wipe that Gym Leader to the ground tomorrow!’

‘I don’t doubt you’ll do well, Dash,’ Twilight put her hand on her shoulder and spoke reassuringly. ‘You’ve been on such a roll today, I’m really surprised.’

‘Well things can only get better now!’ Rainbow said confidently.


It had now almost become night time. The skies above Ponyville were a hue of navy blues, purples, and a hint of orange as the girls made their way back into the town. Finally the trio stopped outside of Rainbow Dash’s house.

‘I think today has been the most awesome day ever!’ The trainer gave her two best friends a rather gripping hug, squeezing them uncontrollably.

‘And it’s going to get even better from here.’ Twilight said radiantly.

‘Goodnight sugarcube, get some rest now for your big day tomorrow.’ Applejack spoke softly, as if she didn’t want to wake anyone that would be asleep.

‘Goodnight guys.’ Dash grinned at the two of them before closing the door.

As the day ends, a new one will begin, one full of excitement, highs, lows, wins and losses. What will happen in the Ponyville Gym? Who is this new Gym Leader? And will they become a challenge to Rainbow Dash and her Froakie and Taillow? Find out next time in the world of Pokémon!

Author's Note:

The Equestria Region Pokédex

Seen: 7
Captured: 2


Hope you enjoyed this chapter! And yes I know I may have wrote Lightning Dust to be more arrogant than she was in 'Wonderbolts Academy' but that's all the fun part of making her the rival. :raritywink:

-TheOldRedHills :twilightsmile: