• Published 10th Jul 2016
  • 326 Views, 0 Comments

Once Upon a Time... - SlimeTheDude2



What happens when you thrust greatness onto an anti-social unicorn who just so happens to be from an alternate version of Equestria?

  • ...
 0
 326

Elements of Harmony, part 1

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the youngest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the older brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their land and their subjects, all the different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became envious. The ponies only labored in the sun that she brought forth, but gazed at the stars and played through the night. One fateful day, the younger sister refused to lower the sun to make way for the night. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness and envy in the young one’s heart had transformed her into a wrathful mare of ceaseless fire: Solar Flare.

She vowed that she would shroud the land in an eternal day, scorching the land. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the strongest magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister and banished her permanently in the sun. The elder sister took on responsibility for both sun and moon, and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since.


Dusk Glow woke up in a panic. “What the hay was that dream?” she asked, “wait where am I?” Upon taking in her surroundings she realized that she was in a park. Looking down she found a book opened to "The Tale of Two Sisters". Reading the story, she found that it was word for word to the dream she had. "This is all wrong," she said, "I need to get to the bottom of this". With that, she started to run to the observatory.

After a few minutes, Dusk ran into a group of ponies. "There you are, Dusk! Moon Dancer is having a little get-together in the west castle courtyard. You wanna come?" asked one of the ponies.

"Oh... uh... sorry, girls. I have a ton of work to do" Dusk replied. She then went back to looking for the nearest library.

The same pony from the group sighed and said, "Does that pony do anything except work? I think she's more interested in books than friends."

Dusk reached the observatory and slammed that doors open, hitting a baby dragon. "Oh, I'm sor-... Iceberg? Why are you here?" Dusk asked.

"Firstly: Ow! Secondly: We live here!" He answered.

"Oh, yeah. Definitely. You won't believe the dream I had."

"Humor me."

"It was the 'Tale of Two Sisters' but reversed. Celestia was the younger sibling and became jealous of Luna's night."

"Are you reading those old mare's tales again?"

"What? No. Wait, let me get this straight. Celestia got jealous of Luna, became evil, got banished to the sun, and now Luna controls both the sun and moon."

"Right on the money."

"You have to believe me here, but... I'm from a different Equestria."

"What?"

"I'll tell you all about it later, but I need you to tell me about what I do in this world."

"Well... you're Princess Luna's protege."

"Alright. Can you get me a book about 'The Mare in the Sun'?"

"Right on it." After a minute of searching, Iceberg found the book and handed it to Dusk. She immediately started skimming through the book.

"The Mare in the Sun will return on the shortest day on the thousandth year. Is there anything of importance on that day?"

"Yeah. The Winter Moon Celebration."

"Perfect. Iceberg, I'd like you to write a letter to Princess Luna." Dusk handed a scroll and quill to Iceberg. "My dearest teacher, my studies have led me to the conclusion that we are on the brink of disaster! For you see, the mythical Mare in the Sun is, in fact, Solar Flare, and she's about to return to Equestria and bring wish her eternal day! Something must be done to make sure this terrible prophecy does not come true. I await your quick response. Your faithful student, Dusk Glow."

"Dusk Glow. Got it!"

"Send it, and don't complain."

Iceberg was going to object but all that came out of his mouth was "fine." He then blew on the scroll with his dragon breath and sent the letter to the Princess. Almost instantly, he burped out the response. "Allow me. My dearest, most faithful student Dusk. You know that I value your diligence and that I trust you completely, but you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!"

"What?!"

"While that tale is fictitious, it gave me an idea. You don't have many friends, and that isn't how should live your life, and what's a better way to make friends than being around ponies? So, I'm putting you in charge of supervising the preparations for the Winter Moon Celebration. P.S. This year's celebration is located in Ponyville"

"Great. Not even a day in this new world, and I'm going on an adventure."


The duo arrives in Ponyville by star-chariot. "Thank you, kindly sirs," said Dusk. A
mare bumped into Dusk, looked at her, and gasped.

"You're new here, aren't you?" asked the mare.

"Oh boy. Yes, yes I am," replied Dusk.

"This is a weird question, but can I tell you a joke? It's tradition."

"Go ahead."

"Well, I have to tell a bad chemistry joke."

"Why?"

"'Cause all the good ones Argon," the mare was visible trying to hold in her laughter. Dusk let out a brief chuckle.

"Good one... I guess"

"So... what is your name? Mine is Soda Pop"

"Dusk. Dusk Glow."

"Well, I gotta run, see ya' around!" said Soda Pop as she ran off.

"That was... something," said Iceberg.

Their first stop was Citrus Fruit Fields. Dusk walked up to a pony setting up a table and said, "Excuse me, are you Miss Lemon Lime?"

The mare turned around and said "Sure am. Now, what can I do for you?"

"You're in charge of the banquet for the celebration, correct?"

"Yup. Would you like a sample?"

"Why not?"

"Everypony, we got a guest!" With that, three other ponies ran to where Dusk and Lemon were. "This is little Orange Seeds. This is Grapefruit. And this is Granny Citron. Now, let's get you some food." The family piled a table high with pies, tarts, and other sweets.

"I see you have this covered. I'll be going then."

"Aren't you going to say for brunch?" asked Orange Seeds.
"I really do have to go." Lemon and her family all let out a disappointed sigh, "...fine," with that, the family let out a cheer.

"You already feel like family," said Lemon Lime.

Dusk and Iceberg were looking for the pony in charge of clearing the sky, Storm Cloud. "I ate way too much food," said Dusk. Suddenly, a sleeping pegasus fell on top of Dusk. "Hey!" yelled Dusk.

As the pegasus woke she said, "Oh, sorry about that."

"Hey, are you Storm Cloud?"

"The one and only."

"Why aren't the skies clear?"

"Relax. I'll do it once I finish my nap."

"What? Are you scared of me finding out that you can't do it?"

"Hey, I can easily clear the sky in ten seconds!"

"Prove it," Dusk said with a smug look.

"You got it!" Storm then started flying around destroying clouds. She finished in just about ten seconds.

"Huh. You really could do it."

"Hey, whatever your name is-"

"Dusk Glow"

"Dusk, I can't wait to hang out with you again. Maybe we will go on an adventure or two."

Dusk fakely smiled. "Yeah. Definitely." Storm Cloud then flew off trying to find a new napping spot.

"Two down, two to go," said Iceberg. "Now we have to check on the decorations." When going into the town hall, they could see that it was already very decorated. They saw a mare going through different ribbons. Iceberg's jaw dropped. "She's so beautiful."

"Excuse me, are you Blue Moon?" asked Dusk.

"One second," said the mare. After she finally chose a ribbon she turned around. "Yes I am, how can I he- oh my."

"'Oh my' what? I'm just here to check on the decorations, and I see that they're all set."

"I see, but you mane and tail are just so dull. But don't worry, that will change today." Blue Moon then dragged Dust away to her shop. She started putting Dusk's mane into several different fashions. "Too punk. Too preppy. Too shiny. Too wavy. Too straight. Too curly. Too poofy. Now that I think about it, your original style had that perfect amount of spunk to it. Now tell me, where are you from?"

"Canterlot."

"Canterlot? You're from the capital of high society in Equestria?"

"Correct."

"Then I know the best style for you. Just stay right here while I get more supplies. I can just tell that were going to be the best of friends!"

"Iceberg! Let's get out of here before she comes back!" Dusk ran as she grabbed Iceberg with magic.

"Wait! No!" yelled Iceberg in vain.

"Too bad!"

"We only have one more thing to check on: the music." Music could be heard from where they were.

"I guess we should follow the music." As they got closer to the source of music, it became exponentially louder. Soon they came across the mare in charge of the music. "Are you Symphony?" yelled Dusk.

"What?" yelled the mare.

"Are! You! Symphony!"

"Oh!" the mare stopped the music. "Yes. Yes, I am." Symphony gazed upon Iceberg. "Is that a baby dragon? I've always to see one in person."

"Yeah. Look, we really need to get back to... where are we staying?"

"The library," answered Iceberg.

"We really need to get back to the library."

"Wait! What are your names?" asked Symphony.

"I'm Dusk Glow, and he is Iceberg. Now, we need to go."

Iceberg chimed in by saying, "I'll still talk." He climbed up onto Dusk's back. Dusk only groaned. "All you have to do is tell me what you want to know."

"Absolutely everything," said Symphony.

"Well, I started out as a cute little gray and blue egg..."


"... and that's the story of my whole entire life. Well, up until today. Do you wanna hear about today?" It was almost time for sundown at this point.

"Please do." Dusk then kicked Iceberg off his back.

"Would you look at that, he needs to take a nap. He can't even keep his little balance," said Dusk.

"He sure looks like he does."

"So, I'll get right on that. G'night!" Dusk and Iceberg went into the library and slammed the door behind her. The inside of the library was completely dark.

"Rude," Iceberg through his hands into the air.

"Sorry, but I need to find a to convince Cele- er... Luna that Solar Flare is coming, and we're running out of time! I just need to be alone so I can research without a bunch of crazy ponies trying to amuse me. Now, where's the light?" With the cue, the lights then flicked on. The room was filled with the population of Ponyville.

"Suprise!" cheered the ponies. Dusk groaned.

Soda Pop jumped out in front of Dusk and cheered, "surprise! It's me, Soda Pop."

"Yeah I remember," said Dusk.

"Well, since you're new, I thought it was a good idea to throw you a welcome party,"- Dusk was walking to the drink station, Soda Pop following her -"because if you're new here you probably don't have any friends, which is sad. I invited everpony in Ponyville! See?"- not looking, Dusk poured herself a drink of hot sauce -"Now you have lots and lots of friends!" Lemon Lime, Storm Cloud, Blue Moon, and Symphony walked up behind Soda Pop. Dusk took a drink of hot sauce. After realizing what she drank, Dusk's face showed increasingly discomfort.

"Are you okay?" asked Lemon Lime.

"Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot!" yelled Dusk. She ran to the bathroom.

"The ol' hot sauce for a drink prank. Gets them every time," laughed Soda Pop,


Dusk was lying down on the bed, researching everything about Solar Flare and the Elements of Harmony. Iceberg walked in and asked,"Hey, Dusk, Soda Pop's stating 'pin the tail on the pony'! Wanna play?"

"No, because everypony in this town is insane!" replied Dusk. "Do you know what time it is?!"

"Fifteen minutes until the lowering of the sun. Now, you need to lighten up! It's a party!" Dusk mockingly imitated him.

"Ugh, I thought I'd have time to learn about the Elements of Harmony but, silly me, all this ridiculous friend-making has kept me from it!" Dusk opened a large dusty book and read aloud, "'Legend has it that on the shortest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about everlasting night'... I hope the Princess was right... I hope it really is just an old pony tail." Iceberg grabbed Dusk by the hoof.

"C'mon Dusk, it's time to watch the sunset!"

The inside of town hall was filled with ponies. Dusk was stayed in the back, waiting for something bad to happen. Soda Pop was standing next to Dusk, talking endlessly. Dusk would occasionally say mhm to let Soda Pop know that she was listening. The Mayor of the town got onto the stage and began to speak. "Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Winter Moon Celebrations!" the ponies cheered. "In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of sunset, and celebrate this, the shortest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria-" The mayor configured with the pony on the curtains "-Princess Luna!" As the curtains open, where the Princess was supposed to be, there was nopony. The ponies of Ponyville nervously chattered. "Remain calm, everypony, there must be a reasonable explanation!" Then, an alicorn appeared on stage.

"Oh no... Solar Flare," said Dusk.

"Oh, my beloved subject. It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little night-loving faces," said Solar Flare.

"What did you do with our Princess?" yelled Storm Cloud as she charged at Solar Flare. Lemon Lime bit Storm Cloud's tail before she could get to Solar Flare.

Solar Flare chuckled and said, Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?"

"Ooh, ooh, I know. You're a living piece of charcoal," answered Soda Pop.

Solar Flare sighed and said, "does my crown no longer count now that I have imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?"

"I did. And I know who you are. You're the Mare in the Sun – Solar Flare!" exclaimed Dusk, as the most of the other ponies in the room gasped.

"Well well well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here.

"You're here to... to..." Dusk gulped

Solar Flare chuckled. "Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the day will last forever!


To be continued...

Author's Note:

Oh, my god, this took a long quite some time. Tomorrow I'll start the second part.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment