• Published 29th Sep 2016
  • 2,149 Views, 18 Comments

The Truth Behind Prince Blueblood - Calligraphy Legends



Prince Blueblood doesn't act very princely, but maybe there's a reason for that.

  • ...
3
 18
 2,149

Story

Princess Luna was fuming as she made her way through the halls of Canterlot castle. The many members of staff paused to bow to their princess, a few opened their mouths to say something, but then smartly closed them. Even the guards glanced questioningly at each other once she had passed. For nopony had ever seen the Princess of the Night so frustrated. Not even when she awoke to find that her sister had covered every inch of her room in neon pink sticky notes.

The blue alicorn stopped only for a moment to knock at her elder sister's door.

“Come in,” Celestia’s voice came from the other side of the door.

Luna’s horn lit up as she stormed in, slamming the doors behind her with a loud BANG! The Princess of the Day looked up at her younger sister, jumping a little at the sound.

“Luna, is something wrong?” the white alicorn asked.

“Yes, dear sister, something is very wrong!” Luna fumed.

“What happened?”

“Thy hath made some...decisions whilst I was on the moon.”

“Is this about the dismissal of the crystal growers? I told you, it’s just not a needed job anymore and nopony was growing up with that talent.”

“No, not that. It is about Prince- No! He’s not even a prince! It’s about Blueblood!”

“Oh…”

“Being given the title of ‘Prince’ should not simply be gifted, sister. What could that foal have done to deserve such a claim?!”

“Luna, I-”

“I mean, he just completely disrespected me! In front of everypony! How could someone so arrogant… so rude… so-so-so downright awful come to hold such a rare title?! Why would you do this, sister?!” By now, Luna had dropped her formal speech pattern for the simplistic one Celestia used.

Celestia silently closed the book she was reading, laying it on her desk. She levitated some pillows from the other side of the room and laid them across from her, gesturing for her sister to sit. She readjusted herself on her own pillows while she waited.

“Luna, there is something I have wanted to tell you since your return,” Celestia said quietly. “I just- I just wasn’t sure how to.”

“Please, sister, tell me,” Luna asked, studying her sister’s face.

Celestia lifted her head, her magenta eyes locking with Luna’s teal eyes. Celestia’s eyes seemed to shine with sadness, tears threatening to fall.

“It all happened nineteen years ago…” Celestia began as she became lost in the past.

***

A large, white, marble mansion on the outskirts of Canterlot, facing the western sea, shimmers among the morning mist. Hanging proudly in the center of the building is a large, wooden plaque with the family crest carved and painted onto it: an elegant silver dolphin jumping out of midnight blue waves.

A regal white alicorn flew down and landed in front of the mansion, her four toned mane flowing despite the lack of breeze as her eyes scanned the grounds. She knocked gently on the front door, waiting patiently until she was invited in by a handsome unicorn stallion. He had a sea green coat, sky blue eyes, and a blonde mane and tail, along with a scruffy beard.

“Thank you, Lord Mariner,” Celestia said kindly as she entered the manor.

“Please, Princess, just call me Mariner,” the lord said in a sincere tone. “After all, the noble House of Valiancy considers you more of a friend than an ally.”

“Of course. How are the girls?” The Princess made light conversation as she followed the lord through his home.

“Oh, Constance has gained quite the knack for navigation, she’s been on the boat with me every chance she gets. Harmony has, well, I’m sure you’ve heard about what Harmony’s been up to.”

“Her compositions are well known.”

“Aquamarine seems to have picked up my mother's skills for jewelry making, she even comes on trips with Constance and I on occasion.”

“Well the trades you bring back from distant lands are quite amazing, I’m sure she’s found plenty to continue her arts with.”

“Indeed. Willow is becoming an extraordinary dancer, she’s even on the verge of earning a spot in the Manehatten Ballet Academy. And Treasure, well, she’s still seeking out her cutie mark.”

“Very good, I’m sure Treasure will earn it soon enough. Uhm, and how is Dove?”

“See for yourself.”

Mariner held the door open for the princess who entered the room, ducking her head a tad at the door frame. The room was dark except for the dancing light of a single candle. The four poster bed sat in the center of the room, most of the curtains drawn tight. Celestia walked around to the side of the bed, looking in to find a white, green eyed, blue haired, unicorn mare resting against a mountain of pillows. Her eyes were heavy with bags and sweat beaded on her forehead.

“Dove, how are you?” Celestia asked.

“I’m fine, Celestia,” the Lady of the house replied. “There’s somepony I want you to meet.”

Her horn lit and slightly pulled back the blanket that she had tightly wrapped around a small bundle in her hooves. It was her newborn foal, he had his mother’s white coat, and his father’s blonde hair and blue eyes.

“We’ve decided to name him Blueblood,” Dove said gently.

“In hopes that, one day,” Mariner explained, “he will serve the royal family as we always have.”

The newborn foal looked up at the princess with bright and curious eyes, the princess smiled back at him gently.



As time moved on, Celestia remained close to the Valiancy nobles. In a time where gaining the support from nobles she needed to keep her kingdom flourishing was becoming increasingly difficult, having such a strong bond with a highly powerful and respected house of nobles benefitted Celestia in more than just having somepony she could call a true friend. In those years, the young Blueblood grew as well. He was becoming well known for his kindness, he had a gentle soul with a drive to help others.

When Lady Dove would visit Celestia, she would often bring the colt with her. He was fascinated by the guards, trying on their helmets and pretending to stand guard with them. Other days, he enjoyed helping decorate the cakes the palace bakers made. While some days he just wanted to sit in the library and listen to his mother or somepony else read a book to him.

“He’s growing so tall already, are you sure he’s only three?” Celestia said to Lady Dove as they watched Blueblood chase a butterfly in the gardens.

“He is rather tall,” Dove chuckled.

“Your children are truly your greatest joy, aren’t they?”

“They are. Actually, I wanted to talk with you about something…”

“What is it?”

“Well, Mariner and I have been getting our affairs in order and-”

“Are you two alright?!”

“We’re fine, Celestia. I promise. But with all the traveling he does, and you never know what could happen… Well, we just want things to be in place for our family.”

“What do I have to do with it?”

“Well, we were thinking about what would happen to the kids. I mean, Constance and Harmony are nearly grown, but we would never expect them to take responsibility for their siblings. As you know, I have no family. And the only family Mariner has is his brother and, well, they’ve had a horrid relationship ever since their mom passed.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“We want somepony we can trust, someone who we know will see to their welfare without growing bitter about it. We want you to be the one entrusted with custody of them.”

“Are you serious?”

“I’ll understand if you decline, you obviously have enough on your plate. But if somepony is going to watch over them, we want it to be somepony we know and trust.”

“I-uhm, well…” Celestia looked out over the gardens, spotting Blueblood jumping out of the lilies.

“Forget I-”

“I accept.”

“Wait, what?! Really?”

“Yes. I appreciate that you see me as such a good friend that you would ask this of me, I think of you in the same fashion.”

“Thank you, Celestia.”

The two friends smiled at each other before turning their attention back to Blueblood as he trotted up to them with the biggest smile on a colts face the princess had ever seen.



A couple years later, the family of the House of Valiancy was quietly enjoying some time alone in the family room. Leaves danced through the breeze outside in the early days of autumn, bringing with her the prospect of rainy days.

THUD!

The family all jumped slightly and glanced up towards the direction of the noise, the main parlor.

A blood curdling scream echoed through the halls, sending chills down their spines. Dove glanced at Mariner, who gently kissed her cheek and whispered into her ear.

“Take the kids, into the secret room,” he said softly. “I love you.”

Dove quickly rose to her hooves and rushed her children into the secret room within the walls. The constant thud of heavy hooves throughout the corridors reminding them that danger was close by. Constance, Harmony, Aquamarine, Willow, and Dove all put up defensive shields. For a moment, the only sound heard was their steady breathing, and the rhythmic thud of their hearts.

Bang!

The doors to the family room were flung open as a group of ponies entered, completely clothed in black. Leaving only their eyes visible.

“And what are you doing here?” Mariner asked, standing tall and unafraid.

“We hear you have some extra bits lying around,” a female voice chuckled.

“And don’t bother calling for security,” a deep male voice growled.

“Yeah, they’re a bit preoccupied,” another female voice with a rather thick, eastern Equestrian accent snickered.

“Apologies, but unless you’re interested in a trade,” Mariner’s horn lit as he prepared to cast a spell, “I think we’re done here.”

The five ponies surrounded him. The two unicorns horns lit brightly, the two pegasi raised their spears, while their earth pony leader stood and blocked Lord Mariner’s exit.

Mariner threw up a shield as the two unicorns fired stunning spells at him, deflecting them onto their pegasi companions. His horn shot a blast of magic at the unicorn to his left, binding him tightly in a string of enchanted rope. Mariner intercepted a blast from the unicorn to his right, turning it to dust in the air. He fired a shot, only to have it deflected at the window. Shattering the glass into a million pieces as it rained down to the gardens below. Mariner shot a fake spell just to the left of his target, then sending his actual spell directly at the unicorn. The unicorn soon found himself frozen in a block of ice.

Lord Mariner turned his attention to the leader of their group, who took an annoyed breath as she popped her jaw.

“Idiots,” she muttered under her breath. “I’m working with idiots.”

Mariner began firing spells at the intruder, but she was a lot quicker than she looked. He fired at her, she dodged one way. He tried to encase her in a magic sphere, she jumped out of the way. He threw objects around the room at her, she smacked them away like they were flies. It was as if she knew his moves before he even made them.

Finally, annoyed with battling him, she picked up the spear lying next to one of her still stunned pegasus partners. Mariner levitating the other one.

The pair faced off, neither daring to move for a moment. In a flash the spears crossed, the intruder using all of her strength to push against her adversary’s weapon. Her muscles rippled under the fabric. Mariner’s horn glowed brighter with magical energy.

In a flash, the leaders hoof made contact with Mariner’s jaw. There was a loud Snap! Crack! as his jaw broke, leaving him lying on the ground in pain. Before he could even react to the blinding pain coursing through his body, she plunged the spear deep into his chest. Dove gasped as tears welled in her eyes, watching as the life drained from Mariner’s.

As Mariner’s wife and children tried to comprehend what had just happened, the intruder freed her unicorn partner.

Constance, a high level unicorn, cried out in anger and teleported into the family room, aiming a curse at the leader, who quickly sliced her neck with the remaining spear. The curse was easily blocked by the unicorn partner, who then freed his unicorn companion and released the pegasi from their stunning spell prison. The two unicorns quickly placed a barrier around the house, nopony was teleporting in or out. The group then went about pillaging the house, burning each room as they finished with it.

Dove and her remaining children were a complete wreck. They not only lost the head of their family, their husband and father, but Constance. Dove’s first child, her sweet little angel. Their eldest sister, their guide through life.

Smelling the smoke, Harmony tried to teleport the remainder of her family to safety. But the barrier prevented her. And seeing as how none of them were pegasi, they had no choice but to sneak out of the house.

“Aquamarine, stick with Treasure,” Dove instructed. “Harmony, you’re with Blueblood. Willow, stay close to me. Get out of the house, keep moving and don’t look back.”

The family took one last look at each other before silently exiting the family room. They wanted to grieve, the wanted to simply curl up and cry. But they needed each other. They were relying on one another. They couldn’t afford for their brains to shut down.

They raced through the halls, trying to lay low and breath as little smoke as possible. The fumes were unbearable. Their eyes watered as their lungs screamed for fresh oxygen. Harmony held a cloth over hers and Blueblood’s mouths, but the further they traveled through the house, the worse it got.

Harmony told herself she didn’t recognize every blood chilling scream, promised herself she couldn’t pick out each and every voice she heard. She told herself everything was going to be alright, she just had to get her little brother to safety, and everything would be okay.

Harmony panted heavily as she raced through the mansion, her eyes locked on the exit. She yelped as she tripped over something, catching Blueblood with her magic. She glanced over and saw one of the intruders staring down at her. She screamed, coughing and gasping for air as smoke filled her lungs. She leapt up and grabbed Blueblood, racing for the exit before the pegasus assailant could catch her. Harmony galloped into the courtyard, collapsing on the ground and laying Blueblood beside her.

In the chaos, somepony had alerted the princess. Her and the guards were quickly arriving at the mansion, the unicorns swiftly working to extinguish the flames.

Harmony continued to cough and gag from the smoke, her body trying to rid itself of the poison. Princess Celestia galloped over to them with a couple of medic ponies.

“We need to get them to the hospital immediately!” one of the medics instructed.

“Hurry, I’ll meet you as soon as I can,” Celestia replied.

“Cure, you get the little one.”

Celestia glanced down at them as they teleported away. In the wind, she heard a small voice crying: “Sissy?”

***

“After the fire was out and the thieves caught, I spoke with the guards. Harmony and Blueblood were the only ones to make it out besides the thieves. The staff and their family were either burned or murdered.” Celestia spoke softly, tears silently falling down her cheeks. “By the time I got to the hospital, Harmony was dead. Respiratory failure, they tried everything they could, but… The only reason I know what happened is because, when he was sleeping, I cast a memory spell on him. You know I hate to use that spell, but I needed to know what happened.”

“What- what happened after that?” Luna whispered.

“Blueblood spent some time in the hospital, they wanted to monitor him because he breathed in some smoke as well. Afterwards, I brought him back here, hired a nursemaid, and he’s been living with me ever since.”

“I mean, how did he become this? How did he gain such a title?”

“Well, officially the title comes from me adopting him. Unofficially, well… It was hard for him. He could still remember what had happened and he was having a difficult time adjusting. I made sure he saw the best doctors I could find, but nothing seemed to help. One day, a staff membered called him “Prince Blueblood”. He asked me about it, and I explained how he now holds the official title of prince because I adopted him. The next day, he was completely changed. He was a completely different pony.”

“You mean, he became what he is now?”

“In a sense. When we questioned him about it, he had no idea what we were talking about. I spoke to one of his doctors, he explained Blueblood was using it as a defense mechanism. Or, at least, his mind was. He couldn’t cope fully with what happened, so his brain made up a new reality. He was so convinced of it that he believed it.”

“So, he still doesn’t know the truth?”

“Luna, how can I tell him? What if he- I don’t want to loose him.”

“Sister, he deserves to know the truth. I admire you for caring for him as your own, but you can not shelter him like this. Would you shelter me from my past?”

“I- I don’t know…” Celestia’s voice became thick as she choked back a sob.

“Tia, I can not make you do this, but I encourage you to,” Luna said, rising to her hooves. “Thank you for telling me this, it helps to understand.”



“Auntie, where are we going?” Blueblood asked Celestia, looking at himself in the mirror.

They sat side by side in Celestia’s chariot, leaving Canterlot castle and heading West.

“Well,” Celestia coughed gently to clear her throat. “Remember how I’ve been telling you about your family?”

“Why yes! I almost forgot to tell you that I had a dream about them last night! We were all drinking hot cocoa by the fireplace on Hearth’s Warming Eve!”

“That’s lovely. I-I want to show you where you used to live?”

“Oh, my family heirloom?”

“Of the sorts.”

The air was damp, a soft drizzle still fell over the mountain side city. It was early autumn and they had had their first heavy rain of the season over night. Celestia had been putting off taking Blueblood to the site of the fire, but she finally decided that she simply had to. She had been telling him about his real past. Talking about his family, their legacy, and his destiny to take over the duties of the House of Valiancy.

As they arrived at the site, Celestia led him through the courtyard. Everything was covered in ivy or moss, the ground heavily wet and muddy. Ordinarily, Blueblood would never have walked through it. But Celestia had started to see him change, as she told him about his real past he began to turn into a better pony. The excitement in his eyes died as he reach the other side of the courtyard.

He stared up at the giant plaque with his family crest on it. It and him were the only things to survive that fire. Celestia had restored it and made it into a monument. Burying the family’s bodies on the grounds before it to honor them.

The Sun Princess silently walked forward until she stood right beside him. She suddenly felt small, very small. Guilt and shame for hiding all of this from him for so long bubbled up inside of her as tears welled in her eyes. She turned her head to look at him as he looked up at her.

“H-how could I forget them?” he whispered through the tears slipping down his cheeks. “How could I forget all that they did for me?”

“Shh, it is not your fault,” the princess assured him. Celestia lifted her wing and laid it over his back. “What happened will never be your fault.”

Author's Note:

I would love to know your thoughts on this :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 16 )

:fluttercry:

You made me cry for Blueblood. *starts clapping*

I accept this as head canon, I expect more related to this story.
Though tired and going to bed, you have my approval.

Glen Gorewood

7603788 I did put the Sad and Tragedy tags for a reason.

7603910 I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the favorite :twilightsmile:

7603934 LET MY FEELINGS GO, YA BASTARD! :flutterrage::pinkiecrazy::twilightangry2:

Like everyone else, that's good ideas for Blueblood's origin story. Not headcannon for me but it was good nonetheless. I liked the fact that you used Luna as the one who seek the truth because it happened when she was on the moon. Moreover, I enjoyed the fact that the family and Celestia are friends, that they respect each others and they seem to have a long backstory, which I am curious about (maybe a prequel? :twilightsmile:)

However, I would say that each part could be longer. The fact that the story aimed to be about a tragedy imply that we connect with the protagonists. But, for me, I wasn't in full empathy with them because I think some parts deserve to be more detailed in order to really see in which state of mind they are, so that we can relate better.

It's still upvoted because it was good. Waiting for your next one.

I wish you had given more details of th fates of the thieves. In the canon time line pony on pony violence seems to be very rare, so how the legal system would handle them is a bit of a mystery.
A simple trial and hanging would be too straight forward. Perhaps they grace Celestia's garden?

I like it, but the ending seemed a bit rushed. You should've shown that initial conversation between Blueblood and Celestia about his family, and shown him start to change. Maybe a staff member screwed up something in front of him and instead of freaking out he calmed down and walked away. Next time he heard a loud noise like something breaking and asked if whoever broke it was alright. All these events leading up to helping a maid pick up the laundry that she dropped, or the pieces of China that she broke.

*Bows* very well done. and it gives a very logical reason for how Blueblood acts.

7604383
7604384
7604884
I have considered fleshing out some parts, but I wanted to be careful to not pull away from the main focus on the story. Perhaps I'll do a re-write of it? Sort of like how artists will re-draw a piece after so much time, maybe I'll do that some time in the future. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it :twilightsmile:

7606206

I have considered fleshing out some parts, but I wanted to be careful to not pull away from the main focus on the story.

This is absolutely true, better have a story which lacks a bit of details than one wich lost itself in details. And you did it good.

Perhaps I'll do a re-write of it?

Let us know when it will be done (if it is), I would be curious to see it.

One last thing that came to my mind, it is that, even if the show has already shown us who the characters are and what their personnalities are, we (as talented authors:twilightblush:) need to add some details to it, deviating from the original or not.
Moreover, Blueblood is a character we have seen in only one episode. And let's be honest, his only purpose is to break the cliché of the charming prince. And you have decided that the story won't be from his point of view, which, I think, make the whole thing harder to detail.

Well done! I loved this story a lot!

7611371 Thanks :twilightsmile: I really appreciate the feedback.

While this story gave me much enjoyment, I must agree with some of the others. The story was a bit rushed and while it did have wonderful attention to detail, it was also underdetailed, if that makes any sense.

You took a little-known, practically background character and gave him a life story that explains his behavior in the canon show. Well done, my friend!

The major problem I have with it, though, is the length. You intended it to be a short story, yes? I believe, however, that this would make a marvelous novella. You have created so many characters - the criminals, Blueblood's brothers and sisters, etc - and I would love to see more detail and depth put into them. The plot could be expanded, character emotions could be more fully explored. It's such a dramatic story, so full of action. If you decide to rewrite it, you will have my full support.

7652687 Thanks :twilightsmile: I don't know how much I'll expand on the other characters, as I do want to keep the focus on Blueblood, but if/when I do a rewrite I likely will put more focus on his family members and fleshing them out as characters.

Login or register to comment