• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 383 Views, 13 Comments

Rise of the Crystal Tyrant - Amethyst_Dawn



What happened that day? The day the Tyrant went mad? Read and find out.

  • ...
5
 13
 383

Chapter One: Life in the Empire.

Starlight sat down, levitating the book mere inches above her head while Scootaloo tried to find a comfortable spot next to her. Unsurprisingly enough: the comfiest spot she found was on Starlight's lap, still swaddled like a newborn, but in a new blanket.

"Are you sure your caretaker said you could stay here?" She asked, making sure that she didn't misunderstand anything.

"Yeah, she said some time in a palace might do me some good."

"Awesome." Starlight lowered the book, opened in to the first page, and wrapped an arm around the little filly snuggled next to her. She looked over with a playful smile:

"You ready?"

Scootaloo covered her damp mane with the blanket, and looked back up to Starlight with shining eyes. "Yep!" She chirped.

Starlight couldn't resist: she held out a hoof, gently pushed on Scootaloo's muzzle, and squeaked out a little "Boop!", before opening the book:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The tired grey Unicorn shuffled down the ruined stone streets, looking out unto a field of rubble that used to be his home, his black mane blowing in the dark wind. The old barn was razed to the ground, and--

"Wait, huh?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Starlight looked down to the puzzled filly, smiling bitterly at the interruption. "Yes?"

"How can something be raised to the ground? Isn't that counterintuitive?" Scootaloo asked sincerely.

Starlight raised an eyebrow at the vocabulary, but answered regardless: "Raze, Loo. R-A-Z-E, like burning down barn would mean razing it to the ground."

"Right, sorry."

"No problem. Now, let's see..."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The old barn was razed to the ground, and the town itself was reduced to blackened ash on acres of useless pebbles.

"Back here again, are we?" A gravelly voice spoke from behind. The Unicorn turned, and saw his Tactical Magic tutor standing behind him: smiling sadly.

"Sorry, Ruby." He sighed, looking away from the red Unicorn mare, and back to the scorched earth that was formerly a barn. "I know it's been over a year since the Raiders struck, but the ruins are still smoking. And my whole family is still gone."

"Dark Stone..." Ruby sighed, stepping up beside him.

"Almost my whole family." Dark said, eying her with a ginger grin.

She smiled back at him, sweetly, and nuzzled her head into his neck. Dark lowered his head, and rested it upon hers, taking care to not irritate her horn.

"We... should get back to the City." Ruby sighed after a few minutes.

Dark gave a sad sigh. "Meet at the park?"

She gave him a peck on the cheek. "Noon." She giggled, nodding her head to the rising sun. Dark nodded, and together they stood up, and walked back towards the shining walls of the city.

Ruby wasn't only a Tactical Magic student alongside of Dark, she was the Emperor's third daughter, and his youngest child. The Emperor always kept an eye on her, unless she was with Dark Stone.

Dark Stone was the son of a pauper who had saved the Emperor's life in countless raids, and he had been taught the same values over time. The entire Empire trusted him wholeheartedly, and he never knew an enemy. None ever feared him, none ever hated him. Few even disagreed with him, for he represented what the Crystal Empire strove for: Elegance, Honor, Generosity, Respect, and Diligence.

Even he, however, was not without his imperfections. He tended to be stubborn, suspicious, and somber. He did have joy in his life, but that came mostly from the girl he loved. Even after two years of courtship, Dark refused to take any benefits from Ruby. Even after his home and family was destroyed, he refused any charity the Empire offered him. Saying: "I only use what I have earned. And I have not yet earned your charity."

Dark smiled brightly when they passed through the city gates. And, after giving Ruby a peck on the cheek, he walked to the guardhouse, and opened the door. He had been working as a guard ever since his farm was destroyed, and had fought off several Raiders. One thing ponies might disagree with him on was his habit of using the Raiders' claws and teeth to make a mail suit, which he swore he would wear under his armor once it was completed. So he never told anyone of his... "project."

He opened his receptacle, and took out three teeth from his pocket. He lifted out a small knife, and immediately set to the task of carving them into the proper shape, and filing them to a smooth texture. After three hours of tediously adding detail, he pulled the mail out, and attached the teeth in the last three openings. He held the finished suit before him, and whistled a low tone.

"Princess Platinum herself would be envious of this creation!" He chuckled. He walked over to the large crystal that served as a mirror, and put on the mail, and then his grey armor.

The bone mail, mixed with his dark coloration, made him an intimidating sight to behold: Each tooth and claw was carved into the same shape, with the points facing outwards, with intricate lines filed into them. This, combined with the never-ending overlapping pattern, and the red Irises that shone like hellfire in his eyes, gave him the appearance of a pony half-dragon. If one looked closely enough, the could see runes running along the inside each of the lines in the, describing the complex emotions behind the making of the suit. No doubt intended to be the last thing his enemies see, before his blade was buried into their skull.

"Most impressive, rookie." He heard a familiar voice say from behind. He turned to see his oldest friend in the reflection: Horgoth, the Betrayer.

Horgoth was a Raider Elite, who decided that there was a better life for his people if they joined the Crystal Ponies. He turned on the chief, and led forty others to the Empire, holding a white flag. The Empire kept a close eye on them for a while, and they didn't mind in the slightest. After twenty years, they took up residence in a hidden kingdom, designed for them by the Crystal Emperor's himself, beneath his castle.

Horgoth's head resembled that of a pony, but he had the build of a wolf, the tail of a lion, and vast wings like those of a bat. He set a paw on Dark's shoulder, and smiled warmly: "I always wondered what you were doing with all the bones of my kin. Where are all the others?"

Dark chuckled, returning the hug: "Back at my home, Horgoth. I'm sorry if I'm disrespecting your people, but I'm trying to think of what to do with them."

"May I see them? I might have an idea or two. But you'll need to keep them out of sight until I give you the all-clear."

Dark's smile faded. "Even this? I was hoping to show it off to Ruby this afternoon."

Horgoth pondered this, and shook his head: "No, just the others. I just hope this will be as impressive as you expect." He laughed, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Knock it off, punk." Dark said playfully, shoving the Raider to the side. "What are your ideas?"

"I'll show you when you get home." Horgoth said, holding out his paw. Dark reluctantly set the key to his house in the midst of the furry, dragon-like digits.

"Don't make me regret this," he warned.

"You won't." Horgoth smiled, "Now, I'll let you go about your day, and it should be done by the time you get home."

"Thank you." Dark smiled, walking towards the door. He levitated his carving knife towards Horgoth, and set it in his other paw. "I'll be looking forward to it."

With that, he stepped outside, and closed the door behind him, before heading for the northern wall.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Starlight looked down from the book, and to the sleeping form of the filly snuggling against her, gently brushing her hair with a hoof. She giggled to herself, and levitated Scootaloo up from the chair, softly enough to prevent waking her up. She took a candle to see in the dark, and walked the sleeping foal upstairs, and set her in the guest bed: making sure to tuck her in, and kiss her forehead.

She had just blown out the candle, and was closing the door when she heard a quiet moan from the unconscious Scootaloo:

"Goodnight, mommy..."

Starlight froze: memories flashing through her head like an unwanted epiphany. But she found her face heating up considerably:

"Goodnight, Li'l Loo." She sang back, closing the door all the way.

She slumped against the door, smiling sadly as a single tear made it across her cheek, and to the floor.

'Sweet Celestia above, what have I gotten myself into...?'

Author's Note:

Okay, first real chapter is out!
And no, this is not based off of a movie, it is inspired by one. The storyline is completely my own, but you might notice something familiar about the technique...

God bless you!

~Amethyst Dawn