• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 12,407 Views, 980 Comments

Flight 19 - ImChangingmynameforreaso



Flight 19 disappears and ends up in an unfamiliar country filled with unfamiliar people. Or ponies.

  • ...
44
 980
 12,407

End of Act 2

With the end of the last chapter, comes the end of Act 2. I didn't plan on ending it this way, but it has to be done.
I cannot continue with this story hanging over me (Reasons here) (spoilers, this also contains a link to my notes file with all the ending stuff I had planned out).
I have been assured by the Co-author that he will eventually continue on into Act 3 on his own profile. When such a time comes, I will be sure to link it here.
In the meantime, I've enjoyed the ride, and I hope you all have too.

No longer on Hiatus. Now Complete.
Cheers all.

Comments ( 40 )

Very sorry to see you go, but I hope the lower stress of not trying to think of what to write next helps in easing the rest of your life somewhat.

Keep a pencil and paper around for writing telephone numbers, directions or other notes, and maybe youll find yourself writing ideas down on it tht you can propose to othes in comments etc.

Waiting to reach a screen to enter stuff can be a wait too long.

And after all.

Just Keep Rolling. :pinkiehappy:

7294530 Man, I'm a sig. I Always have a pen and paper. Never know when an O group is coming around :P

Man, I got super excited when I saw the update, but I saw the explanations you had, and I hope you help yourself before anyone else. Take care, friend, I truly do wish the best for you. Thanks for the story, it was excellent!

7294836 There's no reason to not be excited though, because this just means the story will be finished, but by someone who still has the capacity to care!
7296656 That chapter has been up for 4 years... Longer, actually, cause of the original story...
So... ahh... Good catch.

7296868 Heh... prostate.
Fixed both issues, thanks.

7303232 Eh, that's fair. I will admit characters are OOC in the beginning, but I don't really care enough to fix that.
As for the whole military training/ guards thing, I would like to point out I am in the military...

Anyway, if this is where you leave, so be it. I can not force you to like something. Cheers.

7305556 In my defence when writing this:
I didn't (and still don't view their actions as subservient, but rather as respectful of a foreign dignitary. If a US diplomat was talking to the queen of England, they would bow, or kneel, or whatever customs said they would do. And every military member (at least in Canada) is a government official, and can act as such if they are they only one in the country (or in this case, planet).


7305704 The bows should have been unstrung. Not even gonna try and argue that. Might come back and fix it later on. Probably wont.

As for the weapons, I think they do ask for them back eventually... I honestly can't remember.

7306768

Of course, the polite, shallow bow from the waist is a different thing. But when the knee hits the floor? That's a gesture of allegiance and submission from the subject to the sovereign. It is an explicit acknowledgement of their power and authority as your sovereign.

Sometimes there's a little bit of fear mixed in for good measure-- like how the ponies sometimes seem to be racing not to be the last one still on their hooves when Princess Celestia shows up out of nowhere. It reminds me of people pulling over to the side of the road when they hear a police car's siren. All at once they drop everything and try to look invisible. (I think this only happened in one or two episodes, and they've really walked it back since then. Also, I may be reading too much into it, but what's a fandom for if not overanalyzing every little detail?)

I'm actually having a hard time finding good sources on diplomatic protocol, but I don't think, as a rule, that US diplomats kneel before any heads of state, royal or otherwise. (If you come across any good sources, rather than just isolated cases, please share.) The case of the queen of England, at least, is quite clear. Americans are not expected to bow to her at all because they are not her subjects. There was a war and everything.

However, I am expressing disappointment with the character, not with the writing. Certainly, there are some Americans who, on being suddenly confronted with royalty, would bow or kneel or whatnot, just because that's what they do in the books and movies (the narration even mentions Stivers' historical inspiration). And there are others who take your view on it, that it is simply a polite gesture. And trying extra hard to overcome a bad first impression is... probably not a bad idea, under the circumstances. Still, I am disappointed in you, Stivers.

7307478 Ehhh, that's fair. Good points have been made.

7324093
To an extent. There's a limit to how obsessive Twilight is.

7658966
7659855
Oh, okay. It just seemed like something Golden Sword would've said too with the context of how he felt towards the humans, so I thought that was what you meant. :twilightblush:

7661323 It's a fair assumption, and I mean, it is a little bit ambiguous, but hey, whatever, right?

7826906 I don't frequent the site anymore, but up to, chapter 5 (might have been a bit longer), the character interactions are still fairly shit-tastic. If you tough it out, The story gets much better in quailty, as I took on some extra people to beat me into shape half way through.
If you don't keep going, I don't particularly care.

Thanks for the honest words, however.
Cheers, happy new year.

Oh god dammit not you too that's 20 I've lost

8088188 So, thanks for your opinions/comments first off.
Second off, go ahead and down vote. It won't change anything.
Third: reasons;
As a member serving with the Canadian army, who has spent at least one deployment working with marines, 99% of people will immediately give up upon threat of torture, etc, because humans are weak. We have a course called conduct after capture up here, but only special forces have it, because no one in the regular military needs it. Any info you could possibly give the enemy is out of date, and therefor useless.
As for why their minds got tipped so fast, put yourself in their shoes. Their planes go down (by no fault of the ponies) due to a very rapid change in elevation and having a mountain just kind of appear in front of them. They land, bury their dead, and suddenly get confronted with talking horses. Most military people would assume at that point that they hadn't slept for several days and were going through stage 3 sleep deprivation (which every member of the Canadian forces has gone through). Then when they wake up to a mostly non hostile environment where your options are adapt or whatever I said the alternative was...
Let's just say that the military you idolize so isn't the same as what you see on tv.

As for the ponies, I based them loosely on a combination of British and Roman military, so buying commissions is still common. Anyone can be an officer, so long as they are rich. Each character is loosely based on a serving member I know in real life, as well.

Tldr; everything you said is your opinion, not facts. Cheers mate.

(sorry about possible reposts, I'm in the middle of a desert with no cell reception)

7661848
Where is act 3? The new format is still a bit tough for me.

8217958
Unfortunately, I will not be producing Act 3. I handed the Project over to Dave. You will need to talk to him to find out more.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

This was a good story, shame about how it ended up. Still, thumbs up for posterity.

8557975

I mean, sometimes life just gets in the way. At least I actually gave closure though, eh?

8563253
Indeed, and I am greatful that you actually officially closed it rather than left it sitting in depressing eternal hiatus limbo like so many others do. I actually read this years ago but only recently realized I never left a rating or comment and just wanted to correct that, as it happened to be one of my favorites. Ended up re-reading what there was of it too. Funny how that happens.

8563302
Indeed. Part of me regrets not cleaning up the beginning few chapters, but hey, what can you do... lol

8682954
I like the constructive criticism...

In truth, I wont lie; The early chapters are pretty fucking bad. It does get better, probably around chapter 10 when the Co-author took over.
There is a purpose behind him being an antagonist.

Anyway, have fun writing diatribes about how bad authors are. Cheers love.

The stories in that group seems to be a lot human army based. I mean I visited the group because I wanted to be sure that I get this and that element in the story, which seems pretty much guaranteed. I just thought I would noticed it is that way. While I want a view main chars and maybe even humans to be awesome in one way or another, I'm not exactly searching for soldier only stories, at least not in the way I got to read them recently.

What had you planned for this story?

Just curious, I hope that didn'T sounded wrong in this or that way.

8709765
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

If you are asking for what was going to happen in the future, I can't go into details, as Act 3 is actually currently being written, and is at the ~100k word mark. I don't have a release date, and I also only recently found out about this, but this story will have some kind of news related thing come out when Act 3 is released.

If this didn't answer your question, I'll need to ask you to be more specific. Cheers.

9208574
Thank you. Can't wait to see more of this. Doctor Who-ish cliffhanger at the end. Nicely played.

9243197
Missed the monty python reference, eh?

Did you know that plane holds 4 people not 3

Under the top gunner under the tail there’s a 2nd gunner

Starting this and hoping for a good read!

Less than 500 words in and you use the correct word for aluminium.
Respect.

It's been 5 years since I've worked on this... Jesus... 5 long years since the army took my will to live...

Well, to anyone who finds this, act 3 is in production, just not by me. More to follow when it gets released.



... I should really get around to cleaning up the early chapters...

just read through this thing coming from the other upload of arc 1 and FUUUUUCK i forgot it was a tragedy. like shiiiiiiiit mann. this is really good. hope you guys have the power to continue it in the future. wishing you the best futures.

11033267
no it doesn't, but it sure as hell doesn't leave them so easily flustered like a little school girl getting a love letter from her crush, especially coming from a backhand comment from a magical talking pony. And that's not even my main gripe, its how you or whoever wrote the first two chapters decided to take a nosedive in quality when writing this scene out, so much so that I got whiplash from it. of course Fluttershy would blush, but someone like Taylor should have remained expressionlessly stoic, or hell, if it truly had to be conveyed that he was somehow flustered, a simple sideline glance would have sufficed, but no he blushes like a school girl, dignity be damned.

I really enjoyed this story and I'm sorry to see it incomplete. It has lots of oc's with an interesting but mysterious plot. I think this is one I will think of every few years and wonder how it could have ended.

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Ps: The princesses were super sketchy in this story, I wonder if they could have been the true antagonists. :rainbowderp:

Is there an act three coming out soon?

11757786
Unfortunatly not.
Myself and Dave both came on hard times over the past however many years, and finishing the story was put on the backburner a decade ago.

I don't know if I'd be able to finish it even if I tried these days.

Login or register to comment