• Published 6th Jun 2016
  • 2,721 Views, 246 Comments

Aunt Millie - Fluttercheer



Derpy has to leave Ponyville for a week and leaves Dinky in the care of her aunt until she's back. Dinky hates it, because her aunt is always patronizing her, while she just wants to be treated with respect. She faces the worst week of her life.

  • ...
8
 246
 2,721

Chapter 2: Regrets

.
.
Chapter 2: Regrets


Morosely, Dinky trudged through the streets towards the schoolhouse. None of the dark thoughts that entered her head earlier had left her. Since she was closing the door of the house with her magic, her thoughts had, in fact, become even darker than before. They circled around in her head, nagged and poked at her mind.

Dinky imagined how she would return home from school today and Aunt Millie would already be there.

The mare with the pink coat and blonde mane standing in front of her, greeting her friendly, giving her a hug to welcome her. A hug that Dinky won't desire. Then Dinky would proceed to her usual routine after school and then it would start. There would be something, anything, that her aunt won't be okay with. She would tell Dinky that she shouldn't do it, that it's bad for her, and ultimately forbid it. Dinky would protest, but she would remain stubborn and insist on it. Dinky would continue to explain and tell her that her mom is fine with it, but her aunt would counter that her mom isn't here and that she is taking care of her for the week, so her rules are law. If Dinky would continue to protest, Aunt Millie would play out the authority card and threaten her with draconic punishments. And then Dinky would be exasperated and give up.

That's exactly how it would happen. Dinky knew it to a T from the last time Aunt Millie visited. It was years ago, but she remembered it well. It was imprinted on her mind like a burn mark. And that's how it felt to think about that her aunt would be here and treat her like this for a full week. And her mom? She would let everything happen. She would just stand there and watch, her half-hearted attempts to put Aunt Millie into place having been squashed by the obnoxious mare in no time. Her mom wouldn't do anything to stop her.

Dinky's face contorted itself with fury and anger, her teeth getting clenched and exposed, and she gave a pebble in front of her a kick and sent it flying through the air. With a piercing bang, it hit the wall of a house to her left, leaving a small damage on it when some of the color spalled off by the impact.

Dinky let her head hang, accompanying this resignated movement with a loud sigh, and passed the house in her slow trot. Behind her, she could hear the door getting opened, followed by an upset exclamation and a stallion angrily shouting after her, but she didn't pay attention. She just continued her path, not looking where she was heading exactly and finding her way merely by instinct. Her eyes were fixated on the ground and she noticed pebble after pebble as she passed over them, but her surroundings were completely blacked out for her. Even the small dust clouds that rose up from her hooves every time she set them down seemed more interesting than anything else in the world now. Dinky was in trance and so she didn't notice the hoofsteps approaching her from behind. There was a certain tempo in them, somepony was clearly eager to reach her, yet all of this was only recognized by the outer parts of the filly's mind. It was only when she felt lifted up by a pair of strong hooves that her consciousness returned and that she realized the world around her again. This also had the effect that she became aware of the last few minutes and the angry, shouting voice behind her.

Dinky winced as she felt the hooves lifting her up and pressed her eyes shut. “Sorry, Mister, I didn't want to damage your house. I didn't even know where the pebble would fly to!” A little panicking, she tried to squirm out of the hooves that were holding her tight in order to flee as soon as she would be free. Something that she didn't need right now was getting scolded by the angry owner of a house its facade she marred. In all her panic, she didn't notice that the hooves pressing tightly against her sides were way too tiny for the hooves of a stallion. Only as she heard a high-pitched giggling coming from underneath her, she stopped her squirming and looked down at her captor. All that she could see from her position were long, dark purple pig tails, which were kept together by light blue braids.

“Lily.....” she said relieved, but surprised at the same time. A smile began to form on her lips.

The filly under her giggled again, then she stopped in her tracks and sat Dinky down in front of her. Dinky turned around and looked into the face of her friend, that was adorned by a broad grin. A sparkle in her eyes showed that she had thoroughly enjoyed it to lift the little unicorn over her head. Dinky's smiling continued as she noticed all of this.

The other filly in front of her was Lily Longsocks. She was new in the town and had just moved to Ponyville about two months ago, around the time the Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks. The big event happened only a few days after Lily's first day at school. It was the day when she and Lily became friends. Dinky saw her lifting up the schoolhouse during the election and later on, how she balanced the teeter-totter on her head when they removed the old playground equipment to make room for the new one.

She was fascinated by the strength of this other filly and later this day, during the cute-ceañera of Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle in Sugarcube Corner, Dinky took the opportunity to talk to her. She praised her for her impressive super-strength and as it turned out, Lily was really worried that the other foals at school could think weird of her for having such a strength, so she didn't dare to talk to anypony in her first few days in Ponyville. Diamond Tiara's remark when she called her super-strength “creepy” didn't help her assertiveness much either.

Due to that, she was all the more happy that a filly from her class just casually walked up to her and began a conversation with her. And even such an enthusiastic one! That her super-strength could bring her admiration from another pony, rather than rejection, was something the purple earth pony filly didn't consider before Dinky approached her at the big party. Lily soon warmed up during the conversation and she and Dinky talked for the whole night; about her super-strength, about Diamond Tiara, about the Cutie Mark Crusaders and their cutie marks and what they might mean and also about Lily's own cutie mark.

Unlike her new unicorn friend, Lily wasn't a blank flank anymore, her flank was adorned by the picture of a hedgehog. It was a mysterious cutie mark and all Lily could answer when Dinky asked her what it meant, was that it probably had something to do with her super strength, but she couldn't guess what. Hedgehogs weren't exactly strong animals.

They pondered for about an hour what it could mean, with several good suggestions by Dinky, but none of them could figure it out, so they ceased the speculations on the agreement that Lily would simply ask the Cutie Mark Crusaders for advice about her cutie mark one day. Their special talents turned out to be exactly that, helping other ponies with problems with their marks, be it getting them or understanding them, after all, so the two fillies easily figured that the newly risen Cutie Mark Counselors of Equestria would be able to find the answer on Lily's questions.

So far, though, Lily didn't ask them about her cutie mark. Even though Dinky brought it up several times since then, Lily always said it was no pressing matter for her and that she was just happy for this gift she had and content with it.

And how happy she was! After seeing how accepting Dinky was of her unique ability, she became more confident and eventually became friends with some other foals in Ponyville. And Lily was always eager to help them out of miserys and to solve problems by using her strength. It made her having many friends at school and soon, foals came to her in regular patterns to ask her for help.

Which wasn't the only thing Lily used her super-strength for, as Dinky could attest, she also loved it to play little pranks with it. Only harmless ones that didn't hurt anypony, as Lily was always very mindful with her strength, but when there was an opportunity to prank a pony without injuring it in the process, Lily was up for it! And Dinky had just become the latest victim of Lily's prankster attitude, which the latter didn't regret at all, as the grin on her face proofed.

Dinky stretched out a welcoming hoof to her friend. “Hey, Lily!” she said.

The grin on Lily's face became reduced and she formed a smile on her own, as she raised her hoof to exchange a hoofbump with Dinky.

“Good morning, Dinky!” she replied with her cheeky voice as their hooves met each other.

Then, like on cue, Dinky turned around and Lily joined her side and they began to make the rest of the way to the schoolhouse together.
With her friend at her side now, Dinky felt much better. Right now, she didn't even think on the visit of her aunt. This happy condition changed quickly, though, as Lily brought up the inevitable question.

“What's with all the gloomyness from before? Did something happen?”

Immediately, Dinky's smile deflated again and her lips pointed downwards. She eyed the ground again and didn't give an answer on Lily's question.

“Hey, what's up?” Lily asked her a little upset.

Dinky breathed in deeply and then let out a gigantic sigh. “It's the end of my life,” she said then.

“Hm? Come on, what could be so bad?” Lily asked her unbelievingly.

Dinky looked at her sad. “You have no idea. My aunt is coming today and she's staying for the whole week. And I'm going to be alone with her the whole time.”

“And?” Lily didn't understand. “What's so bad about this?”

“Everything!” Dinky exclaimed. “She is horrible! She's always strict, she never lets me do what I want and she is always pampering me!”
Lily winced and her face displayed understanding of the situation now. “So she's one of those aunts?”

Dinky nodded weakly. “Yeah. She's a pony you'd never want to meet.”

“Why are you going to be alone with her? Where is your mom?” Lily asked her.

Another strong breath by Dinky. “There's a staff training event at the headquarter of the Equestrian Mail Service in Canterlot this week and she was told to be there. Mom's leaving today right after I come home from school and she won't return until Saturday!”

“Ouch,” Lily just answered.

“Mhm,” Dinky confirmed the notion with a nod.

“What about your big sister? Can't she jump in for your mom?” Lily asked her surprised.

“No. Not this week, at least. Sparkler is too busy at the boutique and doesn't have time. She only returns at the evening. I'm stuck with Aunt Millie and I can't do anything about it.....”

Now both fillies hung their head. They walked for a few minutes without any of them saying something, until Lily had a thought. She looked over to Dinky again. “But she's just your aunt. And she's only here to step in for your mom for a few days. Why isn't your mom telling her how she should treat you?”

Dinky presented Lily with another sad glance. “She does. Or, at least she's trying.....”

“Trying?” Lily gave her a confused look.

“Mhm. Mom doesn't have it easy with Aunt Millie herself. She just can't stand up to her. It was already like that when they grew up together as fillies. She is her big sister and she was always one step ahead of her, in everything. You know how my mom is pretty clumsy? Aunt Millie isn't. She never was and she always thought of herself as better than mom because of that. And she sometimes mocked her because of her eyes. It was never easy for mom to be her little sister.”

“Has your mom never tried to fight her?” Lily asked as Dinky paused for a moment.

The little unicorn nodded. “She tried it a few times. But every time before she could win some ground against her, her confidence left her, so she always gave in again after a short while.” The expression on Lily's face made it apparent that she couldn't completely follow.

Dinky sighed. “I don't really understand it either. My aunt has a strange way to make you feel weak when she's talking to you. It's really hard to explain. You would have to listen to her to understand what I mean.”

Lily's face cleared up. “I think I can, somewhat.”

But Dinky shook her head. “No. Trust me, you can't. It's different than anything you've ever heard before. It's like she's making you do what she wants against your will.”

A puzzled look appeared on Lily's face. “I can't imagine that anypony can do this. Without using magic, at least.”

This time Dinky nodded again. “That's what I mean. Nopony can. She can't use magic, she's an earth pony like you, but she can do this anyway. Nopony can understand it without having met her.”

Wrinkles appeared on Lily's forehead. “I'm not sure if I want to.”

“You don't,” came the prompt answer from Dinky. “Trust me, Lily. You would regret meeting her.”

Lily just nodded, then more moments of silence between them followed as they continued their way.

After another sigh, Dinky picked up the conversation again. “I wish mom wouldn't have to leave..... Or that I could come with her. She's so much better than my aunt.” Having finished the sentence, Dinky felt a sharp pain stinging in her heart. A sudden dismay in her eyes, she stopped trotting and looked to the side.

Lily noticed it and stopped too. As she was looking at her friend, she saw tears glistening in her eyes. “Hey, what's wrong?” she asked her concerned.

“I..... I was really mean to mom when I left.” Dinky's lips began to tremble.

“What have you done?” Lily asked her.

“I didn't say goodbye. And..... And I slammed the door into her face.”

Lily held a hoof to her mouth. “Have you hit her with it?”

“I don't know. I didn't look back anymore, I was just so angry when I left. I hope I didn't.....” A few tears rolled out of Dinky's eyes and she closed them. Wiping over them with a hoof, she sniffed.

“Don't worry too much about it. I'm sure she isn't angry.”

Dinky nodded weakly while she continued crying and sniffing. “Probably not. But that's not the point. Mom is always so nice. To me and everypony else. And sometimes too nice. I shouldn't have done this, Lily. Soon she will be gone for a week and all I do is slamming a door into her face. I feel so bad for it.....” Having been hit by this realization, Dinky slumped to the ground.

“But you didn't mean to do that. You were just angry because of your aunt, so you lost control, that can happen to everypony. Don't beat yourself up for that too much, Dinky!” Lily tried to calm her.

“I know. But it was still wrong. I love my mom, but I really didn't show this when I left. I really need to apologize to her when I return from school and try to make it up to her somehow.” Dinky sniffed a last time, then she wiped the rest of the tears out of her eyes and got up. “Let's go now. I don't want to be at fault for it that we come late.”

Lily nodded, then she followed Dinky who had already set herself into motion. Lily trotted behind and during the next few minutes, they were again clad in silence. It was only as they could already see the schoolhouse in the distance that Lily broke the silence once more. She quickened her pace and joined Dinky's side again. “Do you feel better now?” she asked.

Another sigh followed as answer, but then she did a sidewards glance at Lily and nodded slightly. “Yeah. I just feel silly now for acting like this. I know that mom is always a pushover for Aunt Millie, but it isn't her fault either. I was really stupid there.” She looked sheepish now.

Hearing this brightened Lily's face again and she presented her friend with another smile. “I'm glad you feel better. But let's hurry now, Miss Cheerilee is already here!” She pointed a hoof into the direction of the schoolhouse and as Dinky followed it, she could see that their teacher was just about entering the building.

The two fillies began to gallop and right as they went through the entrance of the school, the bell on top of the building rang out. They hurried to their desks, relieved over it that they made it in time, and started to unpack their saddlebags to get ready for the lesson ahead.

Miss Cheerilee took position at her own desk. She greeted the class and pulled out a book from inside of it. Having it opened, the teacher started with the usual rolecall that happened every morning to check if each of her students had arrived. As she was finished and knew that everypony was here, she put the book back into the desk and pulled out another. Miss Cheerilee opened this book as well and began with her lesson.

Soon, Dinky and Lily were focused and fully concentrated on the words of their teacher.

As the bell of the school rang out for the sixth time, signaling the end of school for today, Dinky hurried to pack her saddlebags and to leave the building to head home. She jumped out of her desk as she was done and had left the building before Lily. The latter had a hard time catching up with her.

“I'm sorry!” Dinky apologized as Lily had finally joined her side. They were already back on their familiar path and rather far away from the school as Lily had finally reached her.

“It's okay!”, Lily replied. “I understand.” She gave her a knowing smirk.

Dinky and Lily kept galloping at each other's sides. As Dinky had almost reached her home, they separated ways, as Lily's home was in a different direction. After exchanging a quick hoofbump with her friend, Dinky continued her gallop, even faster over the last distance. As she had nearly reached her house, she flung the door open with her magic and burst inside. “Mom?” her voice called out and she began frantically looking for her, without even thinking on closing the door again.

Hearing her daughter's voice was the cue for Derpy. She grabbed one of the new blueberry muffins from a plate on the table and left the kitchen to welcome Dinky. She sported a broad smile on her face. “Welcome back, Dinky! I have–“ She interrupted herself as she saw some tears forming in Dinky's eyes as soon as she had set them on her. “Dinks, what is–“ Derpy began to ask her daughter for her well-being, but was interrupted again as Dinky galloped up to her quickly and wrapped her into a hug so strong that Derpy almost dropped the muffin she wanted to give her.

“I'm sorry, mom!” Dinky exclaimed as she cried into her coat.

Puzzled, Derpy put her free hoof onto Dinky's back and gently stroke over it. “Sorry? For what, Dinks?”

Dinky smiled a little as she realized that her mom was not only not mad at her, but didn't even see a reason for it. It was just like she had told Lily this morning. Sometimes, her mom was too nice.

“You should be mad at me!” Dinky retracted her face from her coat and looked into her mom's eyes. This statement just deepened Derpy's confusion, but before she could say something else, Dinky already began clarifying it. “I wasn't nice when I left, mom. I didn't say anything and I almost hit you with the door. I'm so sorry for it!” The only thing that gave Dinky some relief in this moment was that she could already see that her mom's face was unharmed, so she knew that she at least didn't hurt her when she was so reckless this morning, not physically, at least.

Now the confusion vanished from Derpy's face. Unbelievingly, this little issue was something the mare had already forgotten again and was only remembered at now by her little daughter's heartfelt words. Gentle, Derpy pulled Dinky into another hug, then she dried her tears. “It's fine, Dinks, I know you were just upset because of Aunt Millie coming today. I don't blame you.”

As her tears were dried, Dinky looked into her mom's eyes again and repeated words similar to those she had already spoken to Lily today. “I know, but it still wasn't nice. You're a great mom and I shouldn't have treated you like this. And now you'll be gone for a week and I was so horrible to you.....” New tears formed in her eyes, but Derpy immediately dried them again. “Can you forgive me, mommy?” Dinky asked her then.

“Of course, Dinks!” The filly felt getting wrapped up into yet another hug. “It wasn't such a big deal, you apologized, Dinks, and I'm not angry. Now let's forget about it, ok?”

Dinky nodded at Derpy's neck, then she lifted her head and kissed her cheek. “Thank you, mommy!” she said. All of which happened not without Dinky getting slightly red in the face; while she loved her mom a lot, it rarely happened that she got so emotional and clingy and for that, she felt embarrassed a little.

Dinky dried the rest of her tears herself now and as she was done, Derpy held the muffin in front of her face. A sheepish look was on her own face. “I was distracted and forgot about the other batch, so it burnt, but I made a new one for you!” Derpy admitted, leaving out the actual reason why the batch of Dinky's favourite muffins was burnt.

Her eyes glistening, Dinky took the muffin into her hooves and bit into it greedily. Derpy watched how her daughter was happily munching on the blueberry muffin and Dinky smiled at her mom, while they were both still sort of wrapped up in an embrace. For a moment, the time stood still for them and they just enjoyed each other's presence.

But as they heard hoofsteps from behind and a shrill voice sounded over to them, both mother and daughter were forced to return to reality.

“Oh dear, Derpy, are you still feeding her with those?”