• Published 30th Aug 2016
  • 276 Views, 2 Comments

Of Bells and Blood - REDPONY writer



this is the story of sweetie belle, as she tackles horrible nightmares.

  • ...
3
 2
 276

Nightmare 1

It was a long night for Sweetie Belle. She tossed and turned in bed with images of Rarity, Mom and Dad. Then finally woke in a scream.

“AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!” panting she looked around the room. “Oh...another nightmare...”, she said as she laid back on her pillow, then another thought came to her: What if this was a nightmare too? She looked around again, even to check if her cutie mark was still there, good thing it was. She looked at the clock, it was 6 in the morning. Then the door opened and in came another pony.

“Sweetie Belle! are you ok?” said Twilight.

Sweetie Belle just sighed “I had the nightmares again.” she started to cry.

Twilight feeling sorry for her went and hugged the filly “it’s okay sis. i’m here.” Sweetie Belle hugged back remembering those images and crying onto Twilight. Twilight then looked at the calendar. It has been a year, she thought. She’s still upset about it. In turn she wiped the tears of the filly she was holding. “How about a early breakfast?” Twilight said to her.

Sweetie Belle noded her head and got out of the bed, and followed Twilight to the kitchen. Still tearing up a little, she sat on a chair in the castle kitchen remembering how Twilight cooks and can smell the aroma of hot chocolate and waffles. Twilight gave her a plate with a cup and sat next to her with a wing around her. Taking a sip of the hot chocolate Sweetie Belle felted the warm drink flowing down. and then went to work on the waffles.

Twilight however didn’t touch her own food as she was lost in thought. I’m glad she loves the food I cook now, compared to what I made when I first brought her here. Of all things, I learn to cook when he is gone, and of all events it had to be that and that alone for me to start cooking on my own.

Sweetie Belle noticed Twilight not touching the food on her plate and it was Twilight’s favorite breakfast, a waffle with strawberries and apples from Applejack’s farm.

“Are you not hungry?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Oh, um.” Twilight looked at the food on her plate and the guilt filled her heart.”I guess I could eat it.”

Sweetie Belle looked at Twilight. “Sis’, I know you feel sad about what happened but it isn’t your fault.”

Twilight nodded and started to eat her breakfast but the thought still in her mind: it was my fault that the events even took place and that’s why I felt that I needed to adopt her, not as a mother but more of a older sister.

As the clock struck 7 Twilight remembered today was she was to have a meeting with Celestia, and given how Sweetie woke up she can’t just let her stay in the castle alone. No Twilight, he is no longer here and she needs some time to cheer up. maybe I should bring her? “So Sweetie Belle do you want to come along?” Twilight asked.

Sweetie bloomed. She remembered whenever Twilight needs to take her anywhere they would fly there and she loved it. “Yes!!!” she said in the most excited tone. She knew that Twilight has royal duties today and that she might alone today. But a trip to Canterlot would make her day.

In the air Twilight flew gently as Sweetie Belle held on her back enjoying the flight. In the year she had been taking care of Sweetie Belle Twilight had perfected a gentle fight despite the fact she was new to flying when compared to Rainbow Dash. Sweetie Belle decided to lift a hoof to feel the rushing air and giggled. Twilight heard and a smile came to her face knowing that Sweetie Belle was enjoying the flight. Then Sweetie Belle stopped and asked a question that caught Twilight off guard. “How was it? you know taking care of the castle without Spike?” Twilight didn’t reply for a second, not knowing any answer that won’t make them both sad.

“Can we just not talk about it,” Twilight said, hoping Sweetie Belle would leave the subject. Sweetie Belle decided to think of something else.

“Okay, what are you and Celestia meeting about?” Twilight decided it would be fair given how bad of a night she had and that telling her would do no harm.

“It’s about Discord.”

“Discord!” Sweetie shivered as she knew what he was capable of, and Twilight felt Sweetie Belle shiver.

“Don’t worry it’s not that bad, it’s just Fluttershy hasn’t seen Discord in a long time and wants us to come up with a plan to find him.” Sweetie Belle gave a sigh of relief. Just then a scroll with Celestia’s seal popped in front of Twilight and she stopped and gave Sweetie Belle the scroll so she could read it.

“My dearest Twilight,

I’m afraid the meeting has been moved. Cadence couldn’t make it, as such Luna and I are heading to the Crystal Empire. we expect you to change course to there as well. “

“Well I guess we are going to the Crystal Empire,” said Twilight. turning around.
Sweetie Belle gleamed as this would be her third or fourth time there. However Twilight remembered something there that might cause pain for them both.

As they arrived they we greeted by Twilight's brother, “Twili!”

“Shining!” replied Twilight. and embraced her brother in a hug. Sweetie Belle was lifted off by Twilight and put on the ground.

“Hi, Sweetie Belle, how was the flight?” asked Shining Armor as he knew she loved to fly on Twilight’s back.

“It was fun,” she was more distracted by Twilight’s magic, it was a soft feeling when Twilight would lift her with it.

“So I’m to assume you got Celestia’s letter?”

“Yes, we were actually on our way to canterlot, what’s going on brother? Is Cadence okay?”

“Yes, she is fine, just handling things that need her attention here.” He then whispered to Twilight: ”Why did you bring Sweetie Belle?”

“she had a nightmare last night, she needed to cheer up and I thought leaving her alone would make things worse.” replied Twilight.

“Okay, but I have to warn you we may bring up something ‘related’ in the meeting.”

“Related? Why would Sweetie Belle be related to the meeting?...” Twilight stopped as they were in front of a statue of prond baby dragon holding the hope of the Crystal Ponies, the Crystal Heart. Twilight began shudder as memories came to her.

“Okay, Spike. You are all ready. You bag is packed and the books I gave you should help.”

“Thanks, Twilight. I’ll see you in a week!”

“Twilight, dear, thank you for all the support.”

“Good luck, Rarity, and good luck Spike! see you in a week!”

(back to the moment)

“If only I didn’t support them, it would never have happened.” Twilight then looked back at Sweetie Belle who was shaking. Sweetie Belle looking at the statue didn’t see the hero of the Crystal Empire instead what she saw was a dragon holding a beating crimson heart bursting with blood causing pools on the ground. She can almost see the statue laughing.

“MAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH AH!!!” Sweetie Belle dropped to ground, covering her eyes.

“Twilight, are you two okay?” said Shining Armor.

Twilight shook her head and came back to reality. ”Oh, um,” She then grabbed Sweetie Belle and put the filly on her back. “I guess we just had some reminders.”

“Okay...” Shining replied as the two ponies headed into the castle. “I guess this statue brings up some bad memories,” he sighed, “Captain!”

“Yes sir!” replied a pegasus guard.

“Cover this statue.”

“But, sir, that is the statue of the hero.”

“I don’t care if it’s a statue of Celestia. That statue is causing our guests discomfort. I want it covered. NOW!”

“Yes sir!” The guard went and gathered other guards and they covered the statue in a red cloth. Then the guard pony went back to Shining Armor. “The statue is covered sir!”

“Thank you.” Shining Armor and the guard both went into the castle.

Twilight and Sweetie Belle got to the main hall and saw Twilight’s sister in law. “Cadence!”

“Twilight! It been a while.”

“How are you doing? I heard from Celestia you couldn’t make it.”

“It’s not that important.. It she?”

“Yes. this is Sweetie Belle.”

“Hello, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza!” said Sweetie Belle in a cheerful tone.

Cadence laughed a little. “Just Princess Cadence is fine.” Cadence then looked to Twilight. “So why did you bring her here? You know I had to quit foalsitting a while ago.” Twilight then chuckled a little.

”No I didn’t bring her for foalsitting, I thought that she might like a trip to canterlot but plans change and I had to bring her here. Plus I kinda told her about our meeting.” Just then the doors opened and in came the two sister alicorns, Shining armor and the guard pony.

“Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Welcome to the Crystal Empire. I hope this isn’t too much of a change in schedule.”

“No, it’s okay, Cadence,” said Celestia.

“WE WON’T LET A FELLOW PRINCESS DOWN,” said Luna in the royal Canterlot voice.

Then Twilight asked,”So what is this I heard about the incident?”

“In due time, Twilight,” Said celestia.

Shining armor then went to Twilight and said. “I think it would be best that Sweetie Belle not partake in this meeting.”

“Okay then can you take care of her?” said Twilight.

Then out of bravery or desire to prove himself, the guard pony spoke, ”Perhaps I may take care of this filly?” Shining Armor and Twilight looked towards him and both noded.

“Thank you Flash Sentry.” Said shining armor as he picked up Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie however didn’t like how Shining Armor was carrying her as his magic felt rough.”OW!.” She said only audible by Twilight and Flash.

Note to self: teach shining armor how to handle fillies, thought Twilight. Then with a little guidance from Flash Sentry Sweetie Belle was escorted out.

“Your Highnesses: the meeting shall begin,” said Shining Armor as the princesses got together in the center table.

Celestia started: “As you all know I have called this meeting due to one of our subject’s concern.”

“Fluttershy hasn’t seen Discord for a while,” replied Twilight.

“Yes, but I believe there is more to this then we realize.”

“And what would that be?” Cadence asked.

“When I asked fluttershy about the details since his last visit two subjects came up.”

“Is he trying to spread chaos again?” asked Luna.

“For now I’m not sure. But Fluttershy mentioned that Discord had feelings of boredom.”

“Boredom? But he usually does something that doesn’t make sense at all, I mean once I saw him sleeping in my encyclopedia. Doesn’t that give him joy anymore?” asked Twilight.

“I believe it did for a time but I feel our restrictions may have held him back too much.”

“We are starting to believe, we need him to give him a space to freely create chaos just keep him under control.” suggested Luna. Nopony said anything, as the idea of giving Discord space might work, but how it was to be done without hurting anypony wasn’t thought of.

Breaking the silence Celestia said, “There is another subject. I believe you are all aware of what happened last year.”

“You mean the execution?” said Cadence.

“Yes, that. Well, according to Fluttershy, his last visit was 13 months ago.”

“And how is this related?” asked Luna.

“I believe that Discord might have had a hand in the event.”

Sweetie Belle and Flash Sentry were walking and taking in the sights of the Crystal Empire but Sweetie Belle didn’t enjoy it as much.

“Is there something wrong?” asked Flash.

“I just feel a bit lonely without Sis’.”

“Well don’t worry she will be done with the meeting before you know it. So

I bet you might want to do something a bit fun.” Flash grin-ed.

“Fun?” Sweetie Belle stared at Flash. “But you are a guard. Don’t you have to take things seriously?”

“Well yes but right now my job is to keep any eye on you. So as long as I can see you, we should be fine.” He winked

Sweetie Belle looked around. “Well there isn’t much.”

“So, what do you for fun?” Asked Flash hoping to cheer the filly up.

“I guess hang out with friends but they aren't here.”

Flash thought for a bit. “What about with your sister? What do you two do for fun?”

“Well not much. Usually, she lets me play with my friends but other than that there isn’t anything else I can think of, she usually takes care of me while I’m home.”

“Well she is a Alicorn, doesn’t she let you ride on her back while flying?”

“Only when we need to go somewhere other than that no.” Flash gave a smile. ”What?” Flash then opened his wings. Then Sweetie understood why he was smiling. “Are you sure?”

“Don’t worry about it. I have much flying experience, you will be safe.” Flash then sat low so Sweetie Belle can get on. To Flash’s surprise Sweetie Belle was very light compared to his expectations. “Ready?” Sweetie Belle nodded and Flash took off slowly at first so Sweetie Belle can get used to the wind.

Back at the meeting Celestia finished explaining something.

“But if he…” Twilight stuttered.

“I know, but for now we aren’t sure, and until we know for sure we will keep this to ourselves.” Said celestia.

“... that…was…” Cadence gave some tears and Shining Armor comforted her.

“I know you feel that he did a good service, Cadence, but we didn’t have anything else at the time,” Celestia said.

“If We had known, We might have prolonged the investigation,” said Luna. Twilight noticed Shining Armor was looking around.

”Did you have something Shining?”

“Well...I say we move on from this and focus on getting some hard answers before we continue.”

“I agree,” said Celestia.

Flash looked at Sweetie Belle to see if she was safe before raising in the air to gain some altitude before diving to the ground then pulling up, after performing a loop, Flash gained more speed. Sweetie Belle held on as Flash flew through cloud rings and twisting. And finally landing on a cloud.

“Wow! that was amazing sir. I didn’t know pegasi can do that!” said Sweetie Belle.

“You don’t have to call me sir if you don’t want to.”

“Well I don’t remember getting your name.”

“That’s ok. it’s Flash, Flash Sentry.”

“And I’m Sweetie Belle!”

“Nice to meet you, Sweetie Belle.” Flash gave Sweetie Belle his hoof and she shook it. Then came another guard pony flying towards them.

“CAPTAIN!”

‘What is it?”

“Sir we have a problem at the south wall.”

Flash looked at Sweetie Belle. “What to go see what’s wrong?”

“It’s better than waiting.” Then both ponies flew to the south wall.

At the wall was a line of guards with spears ready to throw and below was a group of no good ice wolves.

“Whats going on here?”asked Flash.

“Sir we are holding off these ice wolves but they are persistent.”

“We can’t push them back.”

“There are too many!” Said three guards as they keep throwing spears.

“We need a way to keep them from coming back. Any ideas captain?”

Flash thought for a moment. Then looked at Sweetie Belle.” You know any defense sells?”

“Sis’ did teach me some but not much why?” Flash then whispered to Sweetie Belle a plan. “He he he he he. Let's do it!” Sweetie Belle then cast two spells and Flash flew down to the bottom of the wall.

A ice cold breath flew in the air. ”Who dares to approach us?”

“It is I, Flash Sentry! Prince of the Crystal Empire!”

Then, in an icy tone, “Ha ha ha hah ah! Don’t try to fool us pony. we know that your kingdom has no such prince.”

“HOW DARE YOU SPEAK LOWLY OF ME IN MY KINGDOM!” Flash stomps a hoof and thanks to Sweetie Belle the ground shook and cracked.

“So you have some ability but still you are no Alicorn.”

“Try me.” Flash twists his head to show his horn.

“What! That's impossible this must be some kind of trick.”

Then Flash shot a bolt of magic and the ice wolves charged at him. As the battle raged on Flash became more and more tired and Sweetie Belle couldn’t handle the magic any longer. Then something strange happened. Sweetie Belle remembered a moment when Twilight was teaching her magic.

“Okay, Sweetie Belle. Try this.”

“So you want me to teleport that tomato into your mouth?”

“Yes. it should be easy and I have just the safety measures in case anything goes wrong.”

“Ok.” Sweetie Belle's horn glows but the tomato is still there. “Darn it didn’t work.”

“OW OW OW OW HOT HOT HOT!” Twilight then dunks her mouth in a tub of water.

“Sorry, Twilight.”

“It’s ok, just remember that spell when you need another pony to breath fire.”

“That's it!” Sweetie Belle went to action; horn glowing. Flash didn’t see what was to come until it was too late. He opened his mouth and out came a huge stream of fire.

The wolves seeing the fire froze in place. “HE IS THE PRINCE!!! RUN FOR IT!!!!” And in a second the ice wolves flee the south wall. Flash then got back up the wall to pick up Sweetie Belle.

“Wow sir when did you become an alicorn?” asked one of the guard ponies.

“I didn’t.” and as he said the horn disappeared. “Thanks Sweetie Belle.”

“It was nothing.”

The guards all dropped their jaws at what just transpired. Flash picked up Sweetie Belle and flew back to the castle.

Back at the meeting Twilight stood. “So we are all in agreement?” The sisters noded and Cadence gave her approval.

“Okay, I will set up a search team by Ponyville.”

“We will search Canterlot and move from there,” said Luna.

“I’ll have a eye out here,” said Cadence.

“It’s settled. This meeting is done,” Celestia closed a book signaling the end.

Twilight got up. “I hope you don’t mind but I have a little filly to find.”

“Go ahead Twilight,” said Shining Armor. Then the doors opened and in came a filly and a pegasus. Twilight met them halfway.

“How was the meeting Sis’?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Ok, just okay. How was the Crystal Empire?”

“It was okay but it was nothing compared to him.” she points towards Flash. Twilight looked a Flash Sentry with confusion.

“Okay.. what did you do with her?”

“Nothing you wouldn’t approve of my Princess,” said Flash.

“Really now? How do you know I would approve of it?”

Sweetie belle interrupted. “You should have seen it sis, he was doing all these amazing stunts.”

“Stunts?” Twilight stared at Flash, hoping for a reasonable explanation.

“I was just trying to cheer the filly up with some flying.”

“Oh and you should have seen him fight those ice wolves, I helped a little but he was the one who did the most work.” Sweetie Belle interrupted again.

Twilight gave flash the most ice cold look.” You took my sister to see ice wolves? And you let her fight them? Are you mad?”

“No no princess,” Flash trying to recover the situation. “She didn’t lay a hoof on them. She just used her magic to help me.”

“Yeah he became the prince of the crystal empire!!” Said Sweetie Belle.

“Ok, I think it’s time to go.” Twilight then picked up Sweetie Belle and flew off.

“Soo? flash? what's this I hear about Prince of the Crystal Empire?” asked Cadence.

“Just a little prank me and the filly pulled on some wolves. nothing to worry about.”

“Ok then you may go back to your post.”

“Yes princess.”

Nightmare end

Author's Note:

there are going to be 7 chapters in total. this isn't even half of the story. stay tuned for the next chapter of: of bells and blood.
plus this is my first fanfic so if there are any mistakes I missed please let me know.

Comments ( 2 )

I love this story! :twilightsmile:

I love where you're going with the story! It's great so far! Though with all due respect, the grammar is awful. If you need help with editing and stuff like that, I can help. But if you prefer not, that okay! Just letting you know you should work on grammar. I would point all the mistakes out, but truth is, (I'm not trying to be mean) there's too many.

I made this for a scene in the chapter. http://starheartwavesong.deviantart.com/art/Breakfast-631630267

I'd love to make a cover, but only you'll allow it.

Login or register to comment