• Published 31st May 2016
  • 1,102 Views, 12 Comments

For Which He Stands - FoalsHalf



Button Mash faces a horrible revelation in his latest comic book.

  • ...
2
 12
 1,102

For Which He Stands

“Thanks dad!” Button cried happily as he raced to his room with his prize. The perfect start to his weekend as his father 8-Bit had returned from his monthly trip to Canterlot that afternoon. Naturally, 8-Bit always brought home a few special treats for his family: This time there had been a new outfit for Button’s mom. It was Neighponese his father had said (And whatever that meant) His older brother Gibson was obsessed with his music and so had gotten a new amplifier.

And for Button… The latest issues of comics from Enchanted Comics. Of course these weren’t the comics that literally pulled in their readers, but they were some of the rarest comic titles in all of Equestria! His father had picked up a few for Button when he was six and Button was hooked! The color! The art! The characters and stories! They made (In Button’s critical appraisal) The Power Ponies look like foal’s comics. It didn’t even matter that the characters weren’t even ponies! And Button was really excited today because he was getting the first issue in a whole new line!

I was afraid he’d never get his powers back! Button exclaimed in his mind, although if truth be told, Button knew better. You can’t keep a hero like that down for long!

And so he began reading, savoring the story like premium grade apple juice.

Until the last page:

Hail Hydra.

What? No! That can’t be right! It just can’t be! Cap? The bad guy? I… Button stared at the page in disbelief. He dropped the comic book as if it had become something filthy.

I can’t believe it! I WON’T believe it! Button cried out in his mind. He wanted his mom or dad to tell him it was all a lie but he he knew his mom would just tell him it wasn’t real. His father would ruffle his mane and Gibson would probably laugh at him. So Button put the book up. (Being sure to keep it away from his prized ‘Real Clone Saga’ volume And ‘Operation Rebirth’ comic.) and tried to pretend everything was alright. He flipped on his ponystation and tried his hoof at Lara Crop, Tomb Raider, but he just wasn’t getting into it today.

At supper he picked at his hayburger and fries and then got ready for bed early,silently carrying the wounds of betrayed foalhood.

The imagination of a foal is amazingly fertile and Button’s was no exception as his dreams assailed him that night.

Around him Ponyville lay in ruins. In the middle of it stood the Red Skull looking upon it with satisfaction.

“It is all over except for you Button Mash! Now… Where could you be hiding? Better to just give up! We will find you!”

Please don’t let him find me! Button thought in panic.

“Ah! There you are!” Red Skull said in triumph as Button looked around to see himself now totally in the open. Red Skull sneering.

“No one to save you Button Mash. The good Captain won’t save you. Take a look! He’s now my greatest ally!”

Button now saw it was true! Next to Red Skull was Captain America, his eyes red and the face was harsh and cruel.

“Come my dear Kapitan! Time to finish this pathetic foal and then we will destroy Equestria!”

Button shrank in fear as the Captain reached for him.

No! Please! Somepony help!

And then the world in Button’s mind changed.

“Hey! Pick on somebody your own size!”

Button turned in surprise at the voice. He was sure he had never heard it before but yet in an instant he knew who it must be.

The evil Cap turned on the newcomer and attacked with a fury born of malice and hate.

“So Red Skull needs super-soldiers to scare little kids with, huh?” The REAL Captain America scoffed as he grappled his double. “Pretty pathetic if you ask me….” He punched the other Cap hard in the face,

“You know… Red, White, and Blue just aren’t your colors pal. How about Black and Blue?” He slammed his famous shield onto his enemy’s head.

At this point, Red Skull was inclined to go to the aid of his minion, but as he started to draw his pistol, he was stopped by the touch of cold steel on the back of his neck.

“I would normally love for you to try that but today you won’t. This is a family story and my lawyer… The towering green fountain of legal knowledge to my left… insists that we keep this to age appropriate material.”

Button looked totally confused by this very talkative new arrival.

“Aren’t you Deadpool?”

“”That’s me! In the…. dream?”

“My mom says I can’t read your comics yet. I’m not old enough.”

“Probably for the best. You should ALWAYS listen to your mom.” The nobility of this statement cast into doubt as She-Hulk stood behind Deadpool, her arms folded.

“That’s enough Wade. This isn’t our story anyway.”

“Right! Got it!”

Button blinked and then watched as Cap finally knocked out the evil Captain America. “You fight like Matt Salinger.”

Captain America then turned to Button and pulled his mask off, revealing the Steve Rogers who was the man behind the shield.

“So Button… Want to talk about it?”

“They made you a bad guy! Why do they have to mess with stuff? You! You’re Captain America! You’re a hero! Do they have to ruin everything like that?”

Steve sat down next to Button. “Kid… I’m just a fictional character… or so they tell me.”

“Well even if that’s true! They’re making everything about you a lie! How can they do that?” Button exclaimed.

Steve looked at the dejected colt. “This means a lot to you doesn’t it?”

“Well yeah!” Button replied.

“Button… If I’m a fictional character, then nothing anyone says matters because no one can tell you what to believe in your own mind.” Steve told him

“But if I’m anything more than that… It’s only because folks believe in what I stand for. Do you Button?” Steve asked.

“Well of course!” Button avowed.

“Good.” Steve told him. “Because part of what I’m supposed to stand for is Freedom of Speech. And it applies to everyone all the time… Not just when folks agree with us.”

“But they…” Button protested.

“Have a right to make their stories.” Steve told him. “Even if we don’t agree with them. And I don’t like like this one as it stands. But who knows? Maybe the writers will come up with a really clever and fun story that makes it worthwhile.”

“You think so?” Button asked.

“Change can be good sometimes. You know my story. For decades they had Bucky; my best friend, dead. All over and done with. But somebody came up with an idea for a good story and created the Winter Soldier. It was hard but in the end I got my best friend back.”. Steve said.

“I guess….” Button replied reluctantly.

“So you can give it a try… Or you know… It’s okay if you buy someone else’s comic for a while until you feel more comfortable… Or save your money for that new Neightendo game you want.” Steve suggested.

“Maybe…” Button said, not entirely convinced.

“Heck! If it really bothers you.. Write your own story. Make things the way YOU think they should be.”Steve told the young colt.

“You really think I could?” Button asked in surprise.

Why not?” Steve answered.

“But I’m just a little colt from Ponyville! Who’s going to read what I write? Who’s going to listen to what I have to say?”

“Button… You’d be amazed at what a little guy can do when he puts his mind to it.” Steve said with a smile.

“You’re right Captain America!” Button replied as he began to think of story ideas.

“Glad I could help. Remember: It’s okay to have your own opinions about things. What matters is you act on them in a constructive manner.” Steve looked around at his two companions and noted that Red Skull and his ally were gone, leaving a bright sunny day in a not destroyed Ponyville.

“I guess it’s time we got back to where we belong.” Rogers suggested.

Deadpool shook his head. “You and Legally Green here can go ahead without me. I need to see a certain Pink Pony about a plate of Cherry Chimichangas!”

Deadpool vanished leaving Button, She Hulk, and a puzzled Steve Rogers behind him.

Button shook his head:

“I don’t get it.”

“You aren’t the only one.” Steve replied.

Author's Note:

Just a little something inspired by the furor over the new Captain America. But it could be about any fandom.

Also, Deadpool and She-Hulk are two marvel characters that are fully aware of the fourth wall so it made sense they would accompany Cap on this mission.

Comments ( 12 )

Ha ha, excellent! I'm of the mind Cap's a mole like Jemma Simmons was in Agents of SHIELD. Anyways, the one thing I'm confused on is that this seems pretty complete but it's marked otherwise.

why do i think cap was luna in this?

7264288 It could very well be.

7264405 headcannon accepted:raritystarry:

Nobody ever stays dead in comics except Uncle Ben.

Oh, and apparently Sabretooth is going to be in the 2017 MLP movie. Go fig.

7265119 Really? Sabretooth? In MLP? Ithink you mean Wolverine 3, or the new Beauty and the Beast.

7265146

Lol... Liev Schrieber, who played Sabretooth, is listed as one of the VA's for the 2017 movie.

Not Kidding.

This... is a PERFECT way to address what was a pretty big controversy. I for one KNEW that it was a marketing ploy and that they were NEVER in their right minds going to make Cap ACTUALLY a double agent for HYDRA. The story... eh, I don't really care for any of the newer comics coming out right now because I feel like they've jumped the shark when they rebooted in 2015. If anyone disagrees, go ahead and read them. Me personally, I'll stick to the older comics and the movies. But the point of this story still stands: What Cap stands for, no matter WHAT happens to his character, will never go away.

I know how you feel button mash...not over captain america but something else...
thank you for writing

I'm right there with you, Button Mash. Right there with you...

Well, we know what happened roughly after that Death Battle

Login or register to comment