• Published 25th May 2016
  • 11,032 Views, 467 Comments

Little Stars - Holy



Being a single parent is hard. It's even harder when your kids are three dazzling little girls.

  • ...
27
 467
 11,032

First Date

You let out a sigh as your arms start to feel heavier. "Adagio, I think I'm good," you say as she darts around you, stopping in a different place under your arms to take a look at your newly pressed suit.

"I think I might need to iron it again," she says, rubbing her chin and looking at the back of your leg.

"Adagio, sweetie, that would be the fourth time you've ironed it. I think it's good enough," you say, shaking off the unnaturally warm feeling of your freshly ironed clothes.

"But I don't know if this crease is going to stay. If I just do it one more time I think it will do it."

You put your arms down and turn around to face your daughter. You kneel down and put your hands on her shoulders before she can open her mouth and say something about you wrinkling your suit. "Adagio, it's going to be okay, it's only Rarity. I appreciate you wanting to help me look good, but there's no need to overdo it."

"I'm doing this because it's Rarity, dad. Who else is going to be able to notice these things? Besides, she did make it for you, didn't she?"

The sudden tightness of the pants around your waist reminded you how long ago she actually did that. You clear your throat and look back up to Adagio. "She did, but I doubt she's going to mind if my pants aren't creased to a sharpened edge, honey."

Adagio lets out a sigh as she finally takes her mind off of the ironing. "Okay, Okay. Just one more pass with the lint roller and you'll be fine," she says, reaching out for the instrument on your nightstand.

You grab her arm and bring it back over. "Adagio, these clothes don't even collect lint." She gives you a sheepish smile, and you raise an eyebrow at her, remembering the debacle with Cheerilee. "Why exactly are you so concerned with it anyway? I don't have to worry about anything, do I?"

Adagio blinks a few times. "W-what? What would you have to worry about? It's not like I'm trying to ruin your night... uh, this time," she says, her sheepish smile widening.

Your eyes narrow at her in response. "You better not be."

Adagio lifts her closed hand with an stretched out pinkie finger. "Pinkie promise."

You wrap your finger around hers. "If you're lying I get to cut it off," you say with a playful smile.

She gives you a nasty look and jerks her hand away. "There will be no finger cutting today, thank you."

You stand back up and look in the mirror to straighten your tie one last time. "Hopefully not. Besides, sweetie, you have nothing to worry about. It's just a dinner between friends."

Adagio crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow at you. You let out a quick chuckle at her suspicious glare. "I'm serious. We're just old friends."

"If you say so," she says with a roll of her eyes and a wave of her hand.

Once satisfied with the straightness of your tie and the sharpness of your suit, you break away and look down at your daughter with a sigh. Her playful attitude might soon be too much for you to handle. You kneel down and kiss her on the forehead. "I should be back by 10. Make sure Sonata is in bed by nine and that Aria doesn't burn down the house, alright?"

Adagio gives you a quick nod. "I can handle it, dad, promise."

Thoughts of Aria in her demon costume from Halloween laughing maniacally as she watches the house burn down pass through your head. You purse your lips as you look down at your daughter. "Are you sure, Adagio? You've never been home on your own before. This is a big responsibility, you know."

Adagio rolls her eyes. "Dad, I'm officially a teenager now. Most of the other kids from school have been staying home alone for years. I think I can handle it."

"Those kids also don't have a troublemaker like your sister around the house."

"I am an experienced Aria wrangler, dad."

You let out a quick laugh. "Alright, alright. Just make sure to call me if anything goes wrong, alright?"

She gives you a quick nod and you plant a quick kiss on her forehead before closing the door behind you, hopefully not sealing the fate of the interior of your home.

You take a deep breath before get in your car. Your chest starts feeling odd as your thoughts sway away from your house and back towards your date with Rarity. Is this really a date? Where does she expect this to go? Where do you expect this to go? What are you supposed to do when you get home? Does she expect a kiss?

You shake your head as you pull out of the driveway and towards her house. Your heart starts beating a lot faster than you thought it should, considering you two were already good friends. You take another deep breath and push all those thoughts out of your head, taking one last look down at your suit to make sure it really was up to snuff. Gotta give her credit, Adagio did do a good job with it.

When you finally roll up to Rarity's boutique the strange butterflys in your stomach only get worse. What were you supposed to say? Did you need to hug her? You rub your temples in frustration. You've been out of the dating game for decades and you aren't even sure if this is a date. Before you can make up your mind though, Rarity walks out of her front door. The second your eyes meet her body you couldn't think of anything else.

Before you can say anything your eyes are drawn to her sleek black dress and heels sparkle in the moonlight as she walks towards you as her violet hair brushes across her shoulder with the same immaculate sheen.

"Ready, darling?"

"I... uh," you manage to stammer out as your eyes pass over the lengths of smooth, pale skin you can see.

"Eyes up here, dear," she says with a wave of her hand up to her face.

You let out a quick cough as you compose yourself. "Sorry, I just..."

Rarity waves you off with an amused grin. "Oh, think nothing of it. I get it all the time. I didn't expect you to be so susceptible, however," she says while eyeing you with a sly look.

"Well you do know how to dress."

"After working in fashion for more than fifteen years I would certainly hope so. Would you like to take my car?"

You raise an eyebrow at her. "Does it matter?"

"Not my usual car, darling, my other car. Let me show you."

With a quick press of her key button she lifts up the door to the garage she added to the boutique to reveal a sleek, black sports car you'd never seen before. "Dang..."

"Oh, it's not much. A colleague of mine suggested I get something a bit higher class to show off for the upper crust around Manehattan. I thought my car was just fine but it really does turn heads at times. Would you like to drive?"

"Would I?" you say with an excited grin. Rarity shakes her head and tosses you the keys. The second you step in you get blown away by the sheer amount of bells and whistles around you. The display looks straight out of a sci-fi movie and the screen on the dash starts up with a sleek logo that says "jaguar" before transitioning into the display.

Rarity sets her purse in the floorboard beside you and lets out a giggle as she watches you inspect her car. "You look like a kid in a candy shop," she says with a hand over her mouth.

"I want one," you say without taking your eyes off the dashboard.

"It actually wasn't that bad. I went with a cheaper brand so it was only seventy thousand or so," she says as she wraps the seatbelt around herself.

"Aria probably won't want to go to college, don't you think?"

Rarity playfully gawks at you. "That was just awful," she says with a gentle push on your arm.

"Just kidding, just kidding. This does make me want to upgrade though. Guess that fashion business is doing well, huh?" you say as you finally start it up and figure out how to put it in gear.

"Well, I prefer to call it an empire, personally," she says with a few fingers placed across her chest and her eyes closed with a proud grin.

"How big of an empire?" you say as you pull out of her driveway and out onto the road.

"Oh, just a few dozen stores, brand deals with most major retailers, and I think last I checked I make a few million dollars a year, but who pays attention to those kinds of things?"

You aren't even drinking something and you almost choke at that. "Seriously? That's insane, Rarity. Good job."

She lets out a sorrowful sigh and looks down at the floorboards. "Thank you. It took a lot of work and a lot of networking, but it's... it's quite the business."

"I'd say. You must be one of the richest fashion designers in the world. Though..." You look over to see that proud smile has dissipated into a forlorn emptiness. "I'd think you'd sound happier about that."

Rarity has to blink herself out of her trance for a moment before clearing her throat and looking back over to you."Oh, don't get me wrong, the fame, the notoriety, seeing thousands of people on the streets wearing my brands... it's all quite an amazing feeling, but..."

"But? How is there a but to that?" you ask incredulously.

She looks over at you for a moment, seemingly contemplating something. "Well, you always want what you don't have, don't you? I'd like to think we're quite good friends at this point, don't you think?"

"Yeah, we have been since high school, I'd say."

"Well, if I'm being honest, I've always been kind of jealous of you and Sunset."

You look over and raise an eyebrow at her. She's fiddling with her hair and looking out towards the road, her eyes not focused much on anything. "Really? With all that money?"

"Money isn't everything, darling. Despite achieving my dream I worked so hard I never ended up starting a family or settling down. I've been the face of a multi-million dollar brand for so long I forgot there was even a possibility of another life for the longest time. These days I kind of wish I had gotten married and had a few kids along the way... Of course Fluttershy's wedding is certainly not helping. I think I may just be too old at this point."

"Fluttershy isn't, obviously. I don't think it's too late for you. Never know what might happen, right? Plus you've got plenty of money to risk trying new things and taking some time off."

Rarity takes in a deep breath. "I suppose you're right, but you know how it is. There's always something about your past you'd like to change."

"Yeah, I know how that goes..." You finally roll up to the restaurant where a valet is patiently waiting for you in front of a beautifully decorated entrance. You can almost already taste how good this food is going to be just from the fancy digs at the entrance, but your wallet is also stinging from the price.

After you toss the keys to the valet Rarity wraps her arm under yours. "Have to look official, don't we?" she says up to you before you walk into the entrance.

After years of living a decent middle class lifestyle with your wife and three kids, waltzing into this fancy restaurant in a custom-tailored suit and a beautiful, sophisticated lady made you feel oddly upper-crust, like you should be speaking in a posh accent or something.

The waiter confirms your reservations and finally seats the two of you after you walk up to the counter. The atmosphere almost shocks you with how quiet it is compared to most other restaurants you've been to. The clinking of utensils against plates is more prominent than most of the talking and there's actually a live band playing some gentle, classical music. The surroundings leave you a bit tense as the anxiety that you obviously didn't fit in begins to wash over you. The last thing you want to do is to embarrass your date, but looking around the fancy establishment, it already feels like you're severely under-dressed for the occasion.

"You really pulled out all the stops, huh?"

Rarity looks up from her menu. "How's that?"

"Well, for starters, I've never actually been to a restaurant with a valet, let alone one that had a menu that I in no way could ever understand," you say, holding the menu upside down for comedic effect.

Rarity lets out a quick giggle as the waiter brings by the two glasses of wine you ordered. "I suppose you get used to a certain kind of lifestyle, this isn't much different than what I'm used to."

"Sunset was always more of a sushi and ice cream kind of girl. She always, uh..." you trail off as you catch yourself. Talking about your late wife in the presence of a new date didn't strike you as the best idea. "Sorry..."

"No, no, do go on, dear. I really don't mind," she says. You look over her face for some sarcasm or annoyance, though thankfully there wasn't any there.

"Really? Seems kind of in bad taste to talk about my last relationship while in the middle of a, well, you know."

Rarity let out a sigh. "I did expect this to come up. She was my friend too, you know."

"I know, it's just..." Before you can finish a waiter walks up and asks the two of you what you'd like to eat. Rarity rattles off some odd french syllables and then the waiter decides to turn to you.

"And for you, sir?"

You look over to Rarity like a cat cornered by a few hungry dogs and shrug your shoulders. She lets out another cute giggle before turning back to your assailant. "He'll have the chicken basquaise," she says, eliciting a nod so he'd finally go away.

"Probably should have brushed up on your french, darling," she tells you with a sly smile.

"I know five programming languages, but french, french scares me..."

Rarity puts a hand over her eyes and lets out another quick chuckle. She shakes her head for a moment before looking back up to you with a smile. "If you're going to be accompanying me I expect you to know at least a little of the high class languages, darling."

You take a sip from your own wine and point and wag your finger at her. "That was kinda racist, Rarity. Implying not all languages can be high class."

"Oh please, like anyone would be caught dead in a high-society gathering speaking something as garish as German or Norwegian."

"Wow. Imagine if all your customers knew about these racist tendencies."

"If you'd like a kick under the table you're certainly earning it. These heels are sharp, dear," she says with a playful smile and a gentle tap of her heel against your shin.

You wave her off with your own grin. "I'll just make sure to remember this if I ever need to blackmail you."

Rarity leans down in her seat and gives your shin a light tap with her heels now instead. You immediately jump at the feeling as your leg tenses up and a cringe settles on your face. "Agh, okay, you were right. Those things are sharp."

"I may be a lot of things, but I am not a liar, darling," she says with a sly smile.

"Like a racist?"

Rarity leans back down in her seat again, making you reflexively jerk backwards. The sudden screech of your chair makes the surrounding high-class patrons look over at you with some condescending raised eyebrows. "Okay, okay, I'm done," you say, raising your hands innocently at your date.

With a playful smile, Rarity fidgets in her chair to regain a more ladylike composure. "Smart boy. I've got my eye on you, though." Out of the corner of your eye you can see the surrounding diners watching you with some mild disgust. You reflexively clear your throat and look away, but Rarity doesn't seem phased at all.

The surprise at Rarity's uncaring attitude is overshadowed by the sudden embarrassment as the judging stares linger a bit too long over at your table. You tug at your collar as your eyes roam around the room for a moment. "This place is, uh, different."

Rarity rolls her eyes and waves her hand at you. "Oh, don't mind them. They've all forgotten how to have fun years ago." That took you off guard. Didn't seem much like Rarity to not care about this kind of thing.

"You're not worried about any weird rumors spreading or something?"

"I have had every single slanderous lie in the book spread about me, dear. Business can be a harsh environment when you're putting your competitors to shame. Nothing anyone here could say would even make a dent in my empire at this point. You typically need proof for that kind of thing."

Her soothing and nonchalant tone takes your mind off all the uncomfortable stares for the moment. "If you say so, Napoleon."

Rarity gives you a pointed look. "Well, I think I've earned the right to brag a little, don't you think?"

You clear your throat again as the eyes around you slowly go back to their own tables. "Yeah..."

"Oh, let your hair down, darling. It'd be a shame to not have a little fun tonight."

You take a deep breath and let your eyes settle back on her. "So, you wouldn't mind that much if I tell the tabloid how racist you are?"

Rarity's grin quickly drops at that. "Don't push it. Play nice or I won't show you the surprise I had planned"

"Oh?" Just before you could get another kick in the shin, the waiter brings back a plate of some sort of meat on a pile of vegetables. You aren't exactly sure what it is, but it certainly looks beautifully crafted.

"That is why I brought you out here, after all," Rarity says after a quick bite off her own dish.

You poke around yours for a second, not entirely sure how to eat it yet. "Really? I thought I was your new trophy date or something."

Rarity shakes her head and lets out a quick snicker. "It's because you're fun, darling. Everyone I know is always so respectful and formal. It's either all business or they don't want to get on my bad side. It leaves a girl awful dull."

"So what I'm getting from this is that you want me to disrespect you," you say, shooting her another playful smile.

"Please do, it would be welcome change of pace after being around so many suck ups," Rarity says, accentuating it by sticking out her tongue and shaking her head.

"...well now that you want me to I can't actually think of anything."

"Well, so much for you, then," Rarity says with a wave of her fork.

"I guess I'll see you in the pile with all your other boy toys and quick flings."

Rarity tilts her head and gives you a quick glare before cracking a smile. "Well, I suppose that's a bit more like it."

"Do you really not have any friends?" you say, before your mind has a chance to catch it. You quickly wince before opening your mouth again. "I mean, people to hang out with?"

Rarity lets out a longing sigh, resting her elbow on the table and resting her cheek in her hand in a way that would make the snobs around her scorn. She pokes around her food for a moment before looking back up to you. "I guess the answer would be no. You've been the only person I've really 'hung out' with since Sunset died. It has been a quite dreadful few years, if I'm being honest."

"Well, doesn't have to stay like that forever, right?"

"Does it bother you that I've been around you and the girls so much lately?" Rarity says, looking up at you with an apprehensive expression.

"What? Of course not, Rarity. I think the girls are glad to have someone besides me to be around for a change. Even Adagio is warming up to you after Halloween."

"What about you?" she asks.

You open your mouth, but you're not sure exactly how to answer that one. You can see it in her eyes. Despite how many times you've said the two of you were just friends, deep down you knew it would probably come down to this. The night with Cheerilee flashes back in your mind as you look into her soft, blue eyes and try to find the words to give her. You know what she wants, you just aren't sure you can give it to her.

"Where do you want this to go, Rarity?"

Rarity brings her hand down from her cheek and places it on top of yours. "Sunset certainly wasn't lying when she told me you could be a tad... clueless. I thought you might know by now."

You let out a sigh and flip your hand over to hold hers, running your thumb across her velvety soft skin. "Well, that's only half of the time." You purse your lips and look down at her hand for a moment, trying to find the right way to take this. "I just never thought you'd actually want it, all things considered."

Rarity looks down at your hand with a soft, relieved smile. "Why would you ever think that?"

"Rarity, I... I have three kids. I'm pretty much a full-time dad and not many people want to just jump in on that."

She rolls her eyes again. "I would think you'd realize by now I don't particularly mind, dear. I love the girls."

You look away, doing your best not to let out a sigh once you realize you're going to have to have this conversation again. "Look, I know you do, and I know that's not going to stop you, but... you know I'm not over her. I can't just..."

"Stop," Rarity says in a quick, stern tone, squeezing your hand for a moment. Her voice felt like an icy cut that struck right at your heart, but her soft hand still resting in yours took off some of the sting. You look up at her expecting a face filled with anger, but instead she looks, frustrated and confused. "I think... I think I should show you that surprise," she says, doing her best to give you a reassuring smile.

"You don't want to finish eating?"

Rarity shakes her head and waves the waiter over. "I think this is more important."

After paying the check and wrapping up the tiny plate of leftovers, Rarity quickly grabs the keys from the valet before you have a chance to, ushering you into the passenger seat without a word. You're almost relieved to finally get out of that high-class atmosphere, but the tense air around the two of you after that exchange feels almost as bad. You open your mouth a few times to say something, but every time you look over at Rarity, she seems pretty deep in though and almost frustrated, in a way. You search the roads around for some sort of hint at where she's taking you, but you can't begin to guess.

"So, uh, where are we going?" you finally get out.

"Well, if I told you before we got there it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?" she says, in a softer tone than you expected.

"Look, Rarity, I didn't want to ruin the mood or anything. I wanted tonight to be enjoyable too, it's just--"

Rarity raises her hand at you. "Just wait until we get there, darling. Everything will make more sense then. Also, would you mind getting that picnic basket in the back seat?"

"Oh, sure." By the time you reach back and grab it, Rarity has already made another turn and is coming into a stop in a parking lot.

The graveyard parking lot.

"I think you'll like this," Rarity says, putting her hand on yours again and giving you a soft smile before getting out of the car.

Your heart drops as soon as you step out of the car. This really isn't what you'd call a date, and you know for the rest of the night you probably aren't going to be fun to be around. Rarity drags you along in the darkness for a little while anyway as you carry the basket at your side.

Out of the darkness a soft orange glow emanates though. As soon as you can finally see that sad spot your heart lifts a little out of the depressing and familiar slope of emotions you always went through. Around the grave Rarity had pinned up an array of beautiful red and orange flowers, their petals flickering softly as the candles around them burned with the familiar scent of autumn leaves that Sunset used to love. The soft light illuminated the half dozen pictures scattered around of You and Sunset, along with some fun times she'd had with Rarity as well. Tears quickly well up in your eyes, but it's different this time, somehow.

"Do you like it?" Rarity finally asked.

The words get caught in your throat as you look over the memorial. Finally you take a deep breath and smile down at her. "It's wonderful..."

"Come, sit down with me," Rarity says as she tugs down on your sleeve on her own way to the blanket beneath the two of you.

You slowly lean down beside her, not able to take your eyes off the thoughtful display. Once you rest on the ground, you place your hand down to feel a familiar fluffy softness beneath you. You look down to see a fluffy purple blanket that Sunset always wrapped herself up in when the two of you were living together in college.

"Is this...?" you ask, running your hand across it. You could have sworn you kept it sitting in your closet.

"No, I actually made this one myself. As close as I could remember to it, at least. Open up the basket," she says sensually, giving you a soft nudge with her shoulder.

You flip open the lid, expecting some fancy wine and cheese, but instead what's inside makes you tear up even more.

Rarity let's out a reminiscent sigh as she watches you pull the contents out. "I never understood that girl's obsession with cherries."

You let out a pained laugh at you look at the packs of wild cherry capri suns and the chocolate covered cherries. If you close your eyes you can almost see her now, wrapped up in her purple blanket staring intently at the tv with a capri sun sticking out of her mouth and a controller in her hand. That finally did it. With gritted teeth the first tear rolls down your cheek.

"Why did you do this?" you ask her through a broken voice.

Rarity just smiles at you before leaning over closer and putting an arm behind your back and resting her head on your shoulder. "I know you still love her. I don't expect you to ever stop. I suppose... this is my way of saying I don't want that to stop. I want someone in my life that misses her as much as I do, that cherishes her memory every day no matter what."

You hear Rarity take a deep breath before she lets off a soft little sniff. "All of our old friends, it seems like they just moved on from her after she died. Sunset was just so important to me I didn't understand how anyone could just not be crushed every time they thought about her and realized she wasn't here any longer. I just miss my best friend so much..." she says, her voice finally cracking as well. "...and I can't think of anyone I'd rather be with than someone who I know will never forget her."

"I think... I think I'd like that too," you say, putting your arm around Rarity too and pulling her close.

The two of you share a few silent sobs together before finally opening a few capri suns. After you ran out of tears, the reminiscing starts to flow instead. The moon travels across the sky way too quickly as the two of you share endless stories about your antics with Sunset, all the trouble you all got in and the secrets you kept, and even a few things you didn't know each of you shared with her.

The chilly winter air might have nipped at you on some other cold, miserable night, but now, now you felt a warmth inside you and a genuine happiness that you haven't felt in a long time.

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas, guys. If you're not having a good one, I hope this makes it a little better. Sorry if I'm kinda rusty.