• Published 25th May 2016
  • 11,012 Views, 467 Comments

Little Stars - Holy



Being a single parent is hard. It's even harder when your kids are three dazzling little girls.

  • ...
27
 467
 11,012

A Bad Date

After a wonderful first date and an even better second one, you can tell Cheerilee was someone you really wanted to spend time with. The momentary break from the kids was nice, and you actually really enjoyed Cheerilee's company, despite all the awkward memories you two had from high school. She was really only about six years older than you, since the year she started teaching was your senior year in high school, so it wasn't all that bad. It had been about a week and a half since you first ran into her, so you decided it was time to go for broke and risk it all.

It was time to have her over to your house.

"Dad, can we take a break already? We've been cleaning all day," Aria groans as she throws the rag in her hand onto the floor.

"That stain isn't gone yet, young lady."

"Ugh. Why does it even matter? She's only going to be here for one night," Aria says, crossing her arms over her chest.

Adagio looks over from her position near the shelves by the tv. The duster in her hand stops for a moment. "I don't think it really needs to be this clean, Dad. You should see what she has to deal with at school."

"See?" Aria starts. "Even Adagio thinks this is overkill. When goody-two-shoes over there wants to stop cleaning we've probably gone overboard."

"Hey!" Adagio shoots back.

"Look, girls. I want to make a good impression, and that means this house needs to be a little cleaner."

"You've been saying that all day, Dad," Aria says. "When's it gonna be clean enough?"

"Fine. You two can take a break."

Aria rolls her eyes. "Finally." She throws the squirt bottle in her other hand down to the floor, then starts up the stairs for a moment before her eye catches Sonata in the kitchen, coloring away in her book. "Hey, why doesn't she have to do anything?"

"She's been helping me cook, Aria. Now do you want to take a break or not?"

Aria goes stiff at the idea of having to keep cleaning, then quickly bolts up the stairs before you give her another task. You let out a little laugh at the display. Maybe you did push the whole cleanliness thing a little too far for the day. Besides, as soon as you look down at your watch you realize that Cheerilee was going to be here in less than an hour.

"Adagio, can you help me with the table?" She nods to you in response, walking into the kitchen and grabbing the right plates and utensils out of the drawer.

Her face scrunches in thought as she sets the other side of the table. "Dad, why does she have to come to our house?"

You give her a quick laugh. "Because I invited her over for dinner?"

"But don't you think it's kinda weird?"

"What's weird about it, honey?"

Adagio looks down to the plate in her hands, turning it over a few times as she thinks for something to say. "I don't think you should be doing this," she quickly blurts out, making sure to stare at the ground and away from you.

You sigh and make your way over beside her. You kneel down to get on her level as you put your hands on her shoulders. She looks up at you, worry plain on her face. "Are you still worried I'm trying to replace her?"

Adagio gives you a weak nod. "Well don't, honey. Remember what I said? No one could ever replace your mother."

"I know, but I still don't like it."

"I know you enjoyed having her as a teacher. I think you'll get used to seeing her more often around here too," you say, giving her an easygoing smile.

Adagio doesn't respond, and instead just turns away from you and goes back to setting the table. She clearly wants to avoid the subject, and you know you aren't going to get through to her right now. You just hope that after another few dates she might warm up to the idea of having another woman around the house. After two years of staring at that empty side of the bed and feeling sorry for yourself, you sure are. You leave Adagio to the table and move off into the kitchen instead.

"Hey, how's my little chef doing?" you ask Sonata.

Sonata smiles and picks her book up off the floor. "Look, Daddy!" she says, showing you a picture of a bunch of different animals she drew outside the lines instead of actually coloring in the pony on the page.

"Wow! Looks like we've got an artist on our hands. You think you could take a break and help me with the food?"

She gives you a little "mhmm", so you pick her up and set her on the counter by the oven. You open up the oven and pull the food out, grabbing a few different spices out of the drawers just in case your cooking isn't quite up to snuff.

"So, are you ready to go back to school, sweetie?"

Sonata swings her legs off the counter, then puts a little pout on her face at the question. "No. All the boys in class are mean, and the teacher doesn't like it when I draw."

You raise an eyebrow. What pre-k teacher doesn't let their students draw? You start to imagine what sort of dystopian future the school system has entered, but then you realize there's probably a better explanation. "Where were you drawing, Sonata?"

"On the desk!" she says proudly.

You should scold her, but you can't help but laugh instead. "Sonata you should really draw on paper instead."

"But the desks look so boring, Daddy. My desk was the only pretty one until she made me wipe it off," Sonata says, acting like she had to throw away a masterpiece.

"I can't believe she'd do that," you say playfully.

"I know! School is stupid."

You cut off a piece of the roast you just cooked, making sure it's small enough for Sonata to try. "Maybe you'll like Kindergarten better, sweetie." You raise the fork up to her mouth. "Here, try this."

Sonata leans forward and takes a bite, taking a moment to thoughtfully chew it. "Any good?" you ask.

She nods, giving you another quick "mhmm" before swallowing. A quiet moment passes as you try to make sure the vegetables are seasoned as well before Sonata speaks up again.

"Daddy... are you really replacing Mommy?" Sonata asks. The question makes you freeze as you hear it. Instead of answering Sonata right away, you lean back and look into the dining room, narrowing your eyes at Adagio.

She definitely heard that, since as soon as she sees you looking, her curious gaze into the kitchen quickly snaps back down to the table as she nervously sets down a few utensils, trying to look inconspicuous.

You turn back to Sonata and give her a smile. "No, honey. Cheerilee is just a friend I'm having over for dinner, okay?"

"Oh... okay."

You pull a few smaller plates of a cabinet and set them on the island. "Now go get your sister so you guys can have dinner," you say as you pick her up and set her back down on the tiles. She nods to you, then makes her way over to the stairs.

"Aria! Daddy says it's time for dinner!"

After another fill of grunts and groans, Aria makes her way downstairs as you fill their plates up and slide them over to where the stools were on the island. Adagio is the first to sit down, making sure to look at anywhere but you as she picks up her fork. Aria reluctantly takes her place beside her, and finally you pick up Sonata and place her on the last stool, since she's too short to get up there herself.

Aria picks around her food, looking like she's dreading having to eat any of it. "Ugh, how much more cleaning are we gonna have to do?"

You move over to the sink to wash your hands, since everything else seems like it was in place for Cheerilee's arrival. "I think you've done enough for the day. Thank you, girls, for your help."

"Daddy, why don't you cook this good every night?" Sonata asks. That makes Aria perk up a little bit, suddenly a little more keen to try her own food. Adagio lets out a snicker as she takes a bite off of her fork.

"Daddy doesn't have time to put this much effort into dinner every night, honey."

"Time enough for a date," Aria mutters.

You raise an eyebrow at her. "What was that, Aria?"

Aria takes a bite out of her food, then gives you mischevious smile. "You know how mad Mom is gonna be when she hears you had a date in our house?" Aria says, acting like she has all kinds of dirt on you now.

Adagio freezes up for a moment, her previous smile immediately fading. This is not something you want to deal with right now. "Aria this isn't a date. I'm just having a friend over, alright. Now don't chew while you talk, honey."

"When's Mom getting back, anyway," Aria asks. "She's been gone for like forever."

You look away from them for a moment. You still don't want to deal with this. "Finish your dinner, Aria."

She lets out a frustrated grunt, but reluctantly does what she's told. The girls offer a little more weak conversation as the finish their dinner, asking why they can't eat at the big table and some gossip about the neighborhood girls. After they're done you take their plates and put them in the sink, preparing the food now for you and Cheerilee instead. You send the girls up to their room and change into something nicer. You light a few candles around the table and spend a little time trying to make sure everything looked straight and proper, then you wait for the doorbell to finally ring.

Once it does, you make sure to push your hands down your shirt to make sure it's somewhat straight, then open the door to greet her.

"Good evening," you say as you get a look at her. She really dressed up for this one. The last dates you had were somewhat casual, but tonight Cheerilee had on a slick black dress, and her hair shined in the soft light of your house. Her appearance made you feel pretty underdressed. "Wow... you look amazing."

"I thought I'd look at least somewhat decent for my first time over," she says with a smile. "May I?"

"Oh, of course, come in." You get out of the way and let her walk in, watching her as she surveyed your home for a moment.

"I didn't imagine your home to be so well decorated," she said, giving you another quick smile.

You open your mouth for a moment, but the words catch in your throat. You had your wife to thank for that, and the thought caught you off gaurd for a moment.

You clear your throat, shaking the thought out of your head. "Please, sit down. I have everything ready for us. Let me just grab--"

"Hey, Miss Cheerilee!" Adagio says, holding one of the plates you made for the two of you in her hands.

Cheerilee jumps slightly as she turns around. "Oh! Hello, dear. I didn't see you there."

"We've got all your food ready if you want to sit down," Adagio says, a bright smile on her face. Aria and Sonata stood behind her, the former with the other plate in her hands, and the latter with two glasses of water wrapped in her arms. You narrow your eyes at them for a moment. You definitely told them to go up to their rooms for the night. Now that they're down though, you can't really make a scene in front of Cheerilee.

Sonata's mouth droops open as she looks up to her. The glasses slip out of her arms a little bit, making you worried she might actually drop them. "Wow... she's pretty."

"Oh..." Cheerilee brings a hand to her chest, an embarrassed expression forming on her face. "Well, thank you. I certainly tried to make a good impression tonight."

Adagio steps in again. "Do you want to sit down?" she asks.

"Oh, of course," Cheerilee says, then goes to take her place at one end of the table. Adagio beats her there, sliding the hot plate into place in front of her and making sure to pull the chair out for her. Cheerilee gives her a smile as she sits down. "My, I didn't know you had such well-mannered little girls."

You look between Aria and Sonata, who just give you two big, cheesy smiles. "I didn't either," you say, looking to them to try and find any hidden motives.

You finally go to your end of the table, where Aria slides your food in front of you as well, with Sonata close behind to give you your glass of water. She's too short to get it all the way up onto the table, so you just take it from her instead. She goes to the other side and gives the other to Cheerilee, then turns to Adagio.

"Was that the right one?" she asks. Adagio quickly nudges her with a harsh glare, eliciting an "ow" from her sister. Adagio turns back to the two of you, a wide smile on her face.

"Just tell us if you need anything else!" Adagio says.

"Thank you so much, dear. We will," Cheerilee says, giving her a smile back. The three girls retreat back into the kitchen, drawing your suspicious gaze the entire way.

"What did you have to do for them to get them to do that?" Cheerilee asks, clearly amazed at the display.

"Nothing. This is a very... happy surprise," you say, even though you doubt the intentions behind this were very happy.

"Well, it was a nice welcome, at least. I was almost worried they might not want to see me."

You raise an eyebrow. "Why wouldn't they want to see you? Adagio always said you were her favorite teacher."

That put a smile on Cheerilee's face. "Did she now? Well I certainly enjoyed having her. You'd be amazed at how few seventh graders are interested in the books I assign," Cheerilee says, picking up some of the food off of her plate.

You give her a laugh. "I can only imagine."

"Adagio actually wanted to talk about them with me. She sometimes even skipped lunch to come talk to me about book we were reading in class that week."

"Really?" you say. You give a little bit of worry at the state of your daughter's social life, but you pay more attention to Cheerilee for the moment.

"Oh, yes. You have a very bright daughter. I have no doubt she's going to do great things with her life," Cheerilee says, a wide smile on her face. After a few bites off of her plate, Cheerilee stops and stares at her napkin. "Oh?"

"Is something wrong?" you ask.

She picks up a little slip of paper off of the table, giving you a raised eyebrow and a playful smile as she turns it over to you. The little slip says "U R STUPID" in what was undoubtedly Aria's handwriting.

"Confessing your true feelings for me?" Cheerilee says with a lighthearted tone.

You close your eyes and shake your head. "I am so sorry. She knows better than that."

Cheerilee sets the paper back down on the table, her smile not faltering. "Oh, it's quite alright. You should see what I have to deal with at the school. When I have Aria next year she'll definitely be far from the worst student I've ever had, though the fifth-grade teachers do tell me she's quite the handful."

You smile. "They aren't lying."

"Hopefully she starts picking up after her sister. I know she's just as smart."

If the girls are waiting in the kitchen listening like you're pretty sure they are, that surely caused some juicy drama between them. Thankfully you can't hear any harsh whispering from where you're sitting.

"So you plan on sticking with middle school for a while?" you ask.

Cheerilee lifts her glass up to her lips to take a drink. "Well," she starts, taking a sip before continuing. Before she can say anything else, her eyes go wide when the liquid goes past her lips. She coughs a little bit as she puts the glass down.

"Are you alright?"

Cheerilee clears her throat. "That was not water." She looks back up to you with a raised eyebrow and a sly smirk. "Are you trying to get me drunk?" she says with the same playful tone. You're thankful you had spent some time around her before this and you were somewhat used to each other. If this was your first date together it would be a disaster already.

"What? No, I--"

"Just straight vodka is a little brash, don't you think?" Cheerilee says, swirling the liquid around in the glass.

Your eye twitches. A myriad of hows and whys pop into your head. You take a quick sip of your own glass, which is definitely just water. Now is definitely not the time for the girls' little jokes, and especially not with your alcohol supply.

"Girls!" you say, making sure it was loud enough for them to hear.

Adagio walks out of the kitchen, giving you an innocent smile. "Yes, Dad?"

"Could you please go into the kitchen and get Cheerilee a glass of water?" you say, trying to keep the irritation out of your tone.

"Sure," she says, turning around to go back into the kitchen.

"Adagio." She stops in her tracks. "Make sure it's water this time," you say sternly.

Adagio quickly comes back with a glass of water in hand and Sonata behind her, who's holding her hands behind her back for some reason. "Here you go, Miss Cheerilee," Adagio says with a sweet smile.

Cheerilee nods to her. "Thank you, dear."

Sonata disappears under the table for a moment, before quickly returning to Adagio's side to go back into the kitchen.

"So, what were we talking about?" Cheerilee asks.

You shake your head. You're too busy thinking about what the hell your girls were thinking to remember. "I don't recall."

"Oh, well... I know it's a long way off, but do your girls want to go to college?"

"Oh, uh... I know Adagio would like to. I haven't really had that discussion with them yet."

Cheerilee nods. "Certainly something to start thinking about. I was just wondering what Adagio was wanting to do when she got older. I've never really had a student quite like her."

You let out a happy sigh at the thought. "I know she's got a bright future ahead of her, if anything," you say, despite the irritation of tonight.

The two of you exchange a little more conversation as you finish the dinner laid out in front of you. She compliments you on the food, and you talk with her a little more about your previous date at the local bar. Despite being in such different roles at the time, the two of you have a lot of memories to share of high school, and quite a few amazing stories to trade as well. You definitely think it was interesting to hear about what the teachers had to deal with in your class.

You try to avoid the plethora of stories you wanted to share about you and your wife at the time. It's hard, since most of your last year in high school you spent with her, and talking about it always brought back memories of her. You keep a smile on your face, even through the occasional stab of emotional pain as your thoughts drifted back to her. Thankfully, you don't think Cheerilee saw you drifting off with the thoughts.

Once your plates are clear, you stand up out of your chair and grab your plate. You take your her plate from her as well, wanting to be somewhat gentlemenly. Cheerilee puts her hands on the table to scoot her chair out, but as soon as she pushes you hear her yell out a "Woah!". You spin around just in time to catch her before she hits the ground, somehow managing not to drop the two plates stacked in your other hand.

"Are you alright?" you ask her, lifting her up out of the sideways chair to her feet.

Cheerilee dusts her dress off, letting out a sigh of relief. "Yes, I think I'm fine. I'm not sure what happened there."

You look down to where the chair is sitting on the ground. where the back leg used to be on the hardwood, you see the little rubber doorstop sitting defiantly in place. "I think I have an idea."

You walk into the kitchen and put the dishes in the sink. All three of the girls are sitting on the stools again, smiling at you innocently. You turn to them, trying to keep your voice as calm as possible. "Girls, I want all three of you to go up to your rooms and stay there for the rest of the night."

Adagio dropped her smile. "But Dad, we just want to help."

You give her a stern look, somewhat surprised Adagio would lie to you like that. "I don't want to hear it, Adagio. Do as you're told."

She gives you a weak "yes, sir" before helping Sonata down off of the stool, with Aria close behind. The three of them make their way up the stairs finally, leaving you and Cheerilee alone.

You sigh as she walks into the kitchen, a glass in her hand. "I'm so sorry about all that. I didn't expect the girls to be that much trouble."

"It certainly could've been worse," Cheerilee says, leaning against the island behind you and taking a sip out of her glass. "I expected a few growing pains if I'm going to start spending more time with them."

Cheerilee leans in closer to you, giving you a coy smile. "Assuming you want me to start coming over as much as I think you do."

You give her a grin back, then look at the glass in her hand. "Are you really drinking that vodka?"

"You say that like I don't know how to have fun," Cheerilee says.

You laugh. "At least let me make you something instead."

You open up the top cabinet to see that your bottle of vodka has definitely been moved. You push the aggravation at that fact out of your head for the moment as you grab the bottle and some juice out of the fridge. You pour yourself and Cheerilee an actual drink and slide it to her over the counter. After the two of you get about halfway down the glasses, Cheerilee stops and traces her finger over the rim, looking at it thoughtfully.

"It's been a pretty lonely summer. I've mostly just been tutoring kids and attempting to get my master's."

"You can't tell me you haven't had at least one date in the past few months," you say, taking another sip from your glass.

"No... you've been the only one," she says, with an almost sad expression forming on her face.

"Well, you don't look like you've aged a day, since I last saw you in high school. I'm amazed you have the time to keep in such good shape," you say, your eyes tracing down her tight dress again. She definitely doesn't have to worry about looking bad in it; her body looks like it doesn't have an extra ounce of fat more than it needs.

Cheerilee turns to lean against the counter again, moving a little closer to you, a smile forming on her face again. "If I'm being honest, you're not quite as fit as you looked in high school," she says playfully.

"Easy now," you shoot back.

"But I still can't complain," Cheerilee says, taking another drink. She sets an empty glass down beside yours and moves a little closer. Her hips are just a few inches from you now. "I'm glad I ran into you..."

"Me too." You look between her and the empty glass a few times. "Here, let me--" you say as you move your hand towards Cheerilee's glass. Just before you touch it your hands brush across each other for just a split second, long enough for you to forget about the glass and want to grab her hand instead. As your fingers interlock, you turn to face each other, not bothering with the long formalities as you slowly lean down let your lips touch to hers. You'd already given her one kiss on your last date.

The two of you lean closer into each other until your bodies are pressed together. You wrap your hands around her, holding her tight as the kiss turns into making out for a few passionate moments. After a while you break away from the kiss to look down at her. Her eyes flutter for a few moments before she looks up to you. You can feel her heart beating pretty quickly in her chest.

You clear your throat, a few impure thoughts running through your mind. It is the third date after all. "So do you want to--"

"Yes," she says quickly, cutting you off.

The two of you completely forget about the alcohol on the table as you make your way upstairs to your room. Cheerilee kicks the heels off her feet as you lock the door behind you. In an instead you're back in each other's arms, another kiss slowly morphing into a make-out session.

Cheerilee breaks away from the kiss and moves her lips down to your neck. Her hands move up your chest to unbutton your shirt, making sure to plant a few more kisses on your collarbone.

You let your head fall back at the feeling. You let out a long sigh.

"Sunset..." you whisper to her.

Cheerilee freezes in place, the warmth of the moment completely evaporating in an instant. She lets out a sigh of her own as she takes a step back away from you. You wince once you realize what just came out of your mouth. "Cheerilee, I--"

"I thought this might happen," she says with a disappointed tone, looking away from you for a moment. "We can't--"

You raise a hand up to stop her. You know what she's going to say already. You sit down on your bed, pinching the bridge of your nose as you chastize yourself. "I understand." You let out a quiet, frustrated grunt at yourself.

Cheerilee sits down on the bed beside you, putting a hand on your shoulder. "I know how much you must miss her, but I can't be her for you..."

"I'm... I'm not trying to replace her," you say, more to yourself than her. Cheerilee doesn't say anything at first.

After a few moments, she shifts on the bed and tries to give you a warm smile. "Back when you were in high school, I can still remember how inseparable you two were. I thought it was cute... when it didn't disrupt class," she says, rubbing your shoulder a little. "You'd always sit behind her and mess with her hair during class... towards the end of the semester I thought she was looking back at you more than she was looking up at me," Cheerilee says with a weak laugh. She rolls her eyes with a little grin. "I don't think I've ever had to give so many PDA warnings in my entire career..."

"My point is... I know how much you loved her," Cheerilee says, looking unsure for a moment, "but she's gone... and if you want to have a relationship with me, you're going to have to let her go."

Those words struck you like lightning. You'd spent every night for the past two years looking at that empty side of the bed, just imagining her still sleeping there. You couldn't imagine a single day where you didn't give her a few minutes of your day just to remember all the great times you had together. You'd accepted those bouts of missing her so bad it was almost crippling as a part of life now. You know that you would never in your lifetime or after be able to let her go for even a day. Cheerilee was asking the impossible.

"I can't..." you say in a quiet voice.

Cheerilee rubs your shoulder one last time before giving you a kiss on the cheek and standing back up. "Then I think I should get going," she says, sadness in her voice.

"I'll walk you out."

Cheerilee puts her shoes back on and you unlock the door. The walk back down the stairs to the front door is quiet and awkward as you follow her out. You open the door for her, watching as she slowly made her way into the night air. She turns around just at the doorway.

"I hope you change your mind one day," she says, stepping forward to give you a hug. You wrap your arms around her tightly, giving her one last affectionate squeeze before you let her go.

"Goodbye, Cheerilee," you say as you close the door. You see the glimpse of her disappointed expression before you shut it. Part of you wants to console her, but nothing you can say is going to change your own feelings. You leave her out to the night, watching as she walks to her car and drives away.

You sigh as you walk over to the kitchen. A quick glance back up at the alcohol cabinet reveals the shine of a bottle of whiskey. You know what you're going to be doing tonight.

"Dad?" You hear Adagio ask from the top of the stairs.

You look up at her, not being able to hide the slight annoyance in your face. "I thought I told you to stay in your room, Adagio."

Adagio turns and walks down the stairs. "I know..."

You don't even want to start with her tonight, but now that she's down her you might as well get it over with. "Adagio, what was all that tonight?"

Adagio is way to smart to try and play dumb with you. She looks away from you for a moment, wringing her pajama shirt in her hands, looking unsure of what to say. "You were making a huge mistake, Dad!" she finally blurts out. "I know you said you didn't want to replace Mom, but bringing Cheerilee over here for a date and being together with her meant that you were!" Adagio says rather quickly. "If you keep going out with her that means you're going to start thinking about her more than Mom and that means that eventually you're going to forget her and that means that Cheerilee is gonna be here more and that means that--"

"Adagio," you say, leaning down and shaking her out of her little spout before she talks herself into oblivion.

"Dad I had to get her to go away," she says, looking up to you with a pout on her face. "You can't let her make you forget Mom."

You look into Adagio's pleading eyes as she looks up into yours. You wonder for a moment how you raised such a little cockblock. You want to tell her that she has no business in your love life and that she shouldn't be trying to enforce her wants and desires on others, but you can't. In the end, she's completely right. That was exactly what Cheerilee wanted you to do. You had to give her a little credit for seeing that. She's definitely the smartest twelve-year-old you've ever met.

"We're going to have to have a long talk about this, you know that, Adagio?"

Adagio sighs and looks down at her feet. "I know..."

You ruffle her hair a little bit, a smile crossing your face. "How did you get your sisters to agree to this?"

"I told Sonata I'd read to her every night this week and Aria that I'd let her sit in the front seat next time," Adagio says, as if it was nothing special.

You shake your head and laugh at the little criminal mastermind standing in front of you. She'd be dangerous if she wasn't so sweet and honest.

"It's getting late, honey. Go up to your room. We can talk about things later."

"Okay, Dad," Adagio says, a sweet little smile on her face from her victory. She turns and looks up at you for a moment, her expression apprehensive, as if you might not give her an evening hug. You lean down and give it to her anyway. "I love you," she says softly.

"I love you too, honey," you say with one last little squeeze. "Now go upstairs and go to bed already."

With that Adagio finally runs up the stairs into her room, leaving you alone. You take one more look at the whiskey bottle in the cabinet, but decide against it for the night. You had a long enough day as it is. No use making it longer by staring at nothing as you tore through that bottle.

You make your way up to your room, taking off all those nice clothes and changing into something a little more comfortable to sleep in. You sigh as you look over the crease in that Cheerilee left in the comforter.

Let her go, she said... After so many years together, how could you even play with that thought. Her face was pinned up in every picture frame around your room. You walk over to your dresser and grab one of them before sitting back down on the bed.

You laugh at how many times she asked you to take this picture down. She hated this picture. It was a selfie Rarity took with her and Fluttershy back in high school at a slumber party they had. You had her portion of the picture put into a frame and brought it home as somewhat of a joke. She hated that you framed a picture of her with no makeup on, a messy head of hair, in her pajamas, with a big, cheesy smile plastered across her face. But you loved it. You loved every inch of it. Her big, goofy grin and her sweet teal eyes looking up into the camera like a pair of diamonds. She was beautiful. The most beautiful girl in the entire world. You regret not telling her that more often. It hurt even more knowing you'd never be able to tell her again.

You set the picture down on the empty side of the bed as you crawl under the sheets. You know she's not really there, but the thought of her messy hair and bare face stirred up happy memories of when she did fill that side of the bed. You finally fall asleep to the thought of her.