• Published 3rd May 2016
  • 523 Views, 22 Comments

The curious incident of the two crossed pencils - sevenofeleven



Children are struck down by a mysterious malady in Ponyville and only three strange ponies can help.

  • ...
4
 22
 523

Chapter 1

The Curious Incident of the Two Crossed Pencils

Diamond Tiara galloped down the street. It seemed like the buildings leaned in toward her. She didn't know why she was running; only that something terrible was behind her. Even a quick backward glance was out of the question. In that one moment, it would be upon her. The streets echoed with the sound of her hooves striking the ground. The buildings didn't look like Ponyville’s buildings; not even the poor section looked like this.

The tall red-bricked buildings with the broken windows still screamed poor though. And the smell, Diamond recognized it. Dirty old flesh, dirty clothing, the combination was almost enough for her to want to put her right forehoof over her nose, but she needed all her hooves to keep moving. She had to keep going. Even though she couldn't see anything, she could hear whispers. Diamond just knew if she gazed long enough at the dark windows that gaped like sightless eyes, she would see what was whispering and the sight might stop her heart with fear.

Fear drove its spurs into Diamond as she ran down the block. She approached a strange looking creature. It had no tail, and ears at the side of its head. Somehow she knew it wasn't a threat since it just gawked at her with its' mouth open as she ran by. The smell of rotten candy clogged Diamond’s nose. The stink made her squeal with disgust. Diamond managed to continue running.

She just had to keep running.

She just had to keep running.

Ponyville Medical
Juvenile Ward

Ponyville Medical's Juvenile Ward was almost full, just two white-sheeted beds were free. The other beds had colts and fillies thrashing in their strange sleep. Magic and medicines alike had all failed to bring them out of their strenuous slumber. Most of the sleeping gallopers had kicked their covers to the white-tiled floor. At the left side of the room, an anxious father watched his daughter with dismay.

Brown coated, black maned Filthy Rich stared at his poor daughter as she thrashed in her bed. Her hooves moved as though she was running. The white bedsheets had already been kicked to the floor.

"If I had the power, I would find what is making you run and make it pay," Filthy whispered. He cast his eyes over the other fillies and colts in their beds. Like his poor daughter, they also ran in their sleep. A determined look filled his blue eyes. Business be damned! He will stay here until his daughter recovered. The sound of approaching hooves got his attention. Filthy looked over at a white earth pony mare with pink mane and tail. She had a red cross on top of a heart cutie mark.

"Nurse Redheart, do you know what is wrong with my daughter?" Filthy asked with hope in his face.

A look of sadness crossed Nurse Redheart's face. Her ears drooped. She didn't really want to crush Filthy's hopes, but she also didn't want to lie and give false hope.

"I'm sorry Mr. Rich, but the doctors have done all of the tests they can. They can't find out what exactly is wrong," Nurse Redheart said with lowered ears.

Filthy's eyes narrowed. "The doctors don't know what is going on? Maybe I should have my daughter airlifted to Canterlot Central because the doctors here are just country bumpkins!" Nurse Redheart took a calming breath. She knew it was Filthy's feelings of powerlessness and concern for his daughter speaking.

"I'm sorry sir. We've sent for some doctors from Canterlot to help out. They should arrive soon. I have to ask you to fill out some forms. Due to your daughter's exertions we may have to put her on an IV so she can get the proper nutrients," Nurse Redheart said. She omitted telling Filthy that if the children didn't stop running soon, their little hearts would fail. Redheart knew this wasn't something he could handle now.

Filthy looked away from the nurse to watch his daughter thrash then he looked back.
Nurse Redheart gave him a wan smile and left the room.


Outside Ponyville

Three ponies galloped along a dirt road heading into Ponyville. One was a large brown pegasus stallion with a black mane and tail who huffed and puffed. His name was Ciderslinger. He was just a bartender until a strange event happened to him. His cutie mark was of a flying beer stein. Ciderslinger was really good at throwing cider in glasses to thirsty ponies.

Below Ciderslinger, a beige unicorn with a curly brown mane and tail and brown eyes doggedly put her hooves to the ground. Her name was Trouble Seer. Her special talent was seeing terrible events and seeing how to prevent or deal with them. Trouble Seer's cutie mark was of a black and red crystal ball.

The last pony was a tan earth pony stallion with blonde mane and bright blue eyes. His name was Spell Tongue. He had the ability to do magic by saying strange words. Even his Cutie Mark was unusual; it had strange symbols that no pony could decipher.

Spell huffed again and cursed. "Bloody hell, how far away is this place again?"

Ciderslinger pointed his left fore hoof at the town up ahead. "You know, if you didn't hit on the cart driver's sister, we could be riding in comfort."

"Well, can you blame a stallion for setting up an interesting evening?" Spell replied with a smile.

"My keeling over with a heart attack would make things interesting," Trouble said between gasping breaths.

"Well, luv, I doubt The Powers That Be will let you off that easy. Besides we have a mission here. The Map of Vigilance says that we'll have something fun to do here," Spell panted.

The map was a blood stained map of Equestria and other regions. Spell didn’t want to know what hide it came from. It was one of the many artifacts, his missing uncle, Sheltering Hoof had found over his life. Basically, if there was a problem, a bright bead of blood would appear on an affected area. If the problem was solved, the blood would just turn into a bloodstain. Scabby areas? Well, so far Spell didn’t have a clue. His uncle made a lot of notes, but his writing was mostly unintelligible. The bits that were legible mentioned topics that Spell was totally ignorant of. Spell hoped by following the map, he would eventually find his uncle. All other methods had failed.

"You know, Spell, we need to have a talk about your definition of fun," Ciderslinger said as he landed with a grunt. Then he flew off again.

"Yeah, my visions are as fun as being kicked in the horn," Trouble said.

The ponies crossed into Ponyville while the setting sun covered them with red like they were bleeding.

That made the hairs in his mane stand up. Spell knew that feeling. Soon he and his friends will find out what the map was warning them about. Again, Spell wished that the Powers would give him a clue without all of the faffing about, but he knew they didn't work that way.

Who or what where these powers? Spell only knew of two, deep down he figured there were probably more. Oonte was supposed to be the co-creator of Equestria, but again his uncle’s notes were pretty sketchy. He did have a bunch of her spells against demons in the Tome. The Tome was his field notes. Now Spell carried the book with him everywhere and added more entries.

Thalh'kikar, the Messenger of Oonte, on the other hoof, was a different story. A pony shaped blazing figure of light that made telegrams seem verbose. It annoyed Spell to no end to hear this creature tell him vague warnings without any useful details. Spell made sure to kick the glowing being in the bollocks verbally when it just was too vague. That was most of the time when the being would show up. One or two good words would spare Trouble the pain of a vision, but Thalh'kikar didn't work that way either. He didn't want to tell her that seeing her in the throes of a vision, blood dripping out of her nose, tore him apart, it just tore him up inside.

A tap from Ciderslinger brought him out of his thoughts.

"Spell, I'm going to find a hotel for us. Meet me at the Hayloft, the local bar for this town.”

"How do you know this?" Spell asked while watching the ponies walk by them.

"I blew through here once for a summer celebration. Now that was fun," Ciderslinger said with a smile.

Spell faced Trouble. "Well, luv, do you sense anything?"

Trouble started to walk in a circle, she ignored several ponies across the street that were watching her with some interest. For a few moments she felt nothing, then there was a light touch on her horn. Cold and dark like somepony took some water from the river Styx and put it on her horn. Under her breath, she cursed Spell.

"What's that luv?" Spell said while checking out the ponies walking by.

Trouble pointed to the right. "It's that way."

Spell nodded. "Well, luv, let's go learn something."

Trouble sighed. She knew a nasty head bashing vision would probably come then she trotted off down the street with Spell.

The walk was informational. Ponies walked by gossiping about the 'Running Sickness'. Spell's ears swiveled around to pick up details.

After a bit of walking through town, they arrived at Ponyville Medical. It was a two story building with two wings and one main building. Spell motioned for Trouble to step to the side while he fished through his saddlebags for his Cumelo card. This magic ID card allows the bearer to show any card to another pony and it will look authentic. Once Spell got the card, he strode with confidence through the door to the guard station.

"I'm Doctor Spell and this is my assistant Tina," Spell said while holding the card high.

The green coated guard peered at the card then at Spell and Trouble. "So you're here for the problems in the Juvenile Ward?"

"Yep guvnor, where's that ward?" Spell said while checking out the nurses.

"Well, I hope you can do something. It's just terrible that those foals just run and run. Nopony can wake them up. The Ward is on the third floor. I wish you well, Doc and assistant," The guard said.

Spell nodded. "We shall do our best."

Trouble rolled her eyes when they left the guard station. She wondered why Spell had to lay it on so thick. They started down the blue and white hallway. Spell was glad there was signs everywhere; the hallways seemed maze like. A thought crossed his mind about what lurks at the center of a maze.

Finally, they reached a bank of gray elevators. One of them opened and a blue coated nurse walked out. She gave Spell a disapproving look before cantering off. Spell ignored it and got on the elevator with Trouble, who hit the button for the third floor.

"So Spell, what are we go-?" Trouble said while watching the numbers light up. The elevator stopped moving.

Spell looked over at Trouble and was almost blinded by the blue winged glory of the Messenger of Oonte.

"Great," Spell said while facing away from the Messenger. "Seriously? Thalh'kikar, you could just have sent me a telegram. What you say would fit, there's so little useful info there." Spell thought he heard a sigh.

"I am a Messenger of the Just and Merciful Oonte. Mock her at your peril," Thalh'kikar said.

"I'm not mocking her, I'm mocking YOU," Spell said.

"I understand that you wish for me to give you more explicit instructions, but Oonte desires strong children that can think for themselves," Thalh'kikar said.

Spell sighed. It seemed to him that for a higher being Thalh'kikar was a bit dense. "Thally buddy, there is a big difference between a hint and being totally vague. You should talk to your ma about the difference." Cold energies shoved him against the wall of the elevator hard then a quick healing warmth covered his body.

"Face me," Thalh'kikar said. Spell thought he heard something in the being's voice. He didn't want to look, but he turned his head anyway.

Thalh'kikar had lowered his glory so it was not so eye searing. "Forgive me Spell. My temper got the best of me. I would like to tell you more, but there are rules. I can tell you that what you face is something ancient and evil. Be careful. Please remember that redemption is possible for you."

Spell looked away for a second to think. The horrible memory of what happened to the zebra filly rushed into his mind. Her screams of fear and pain mixed with the mirthless laughter of the demon as they both fell into darkness and terror.

Slowly his mind returned back to the present. "Really, I have a chance?" The elevator bounced.

"What?" Trouble said.

Spell looked at Trouble. He was expecting Thalh'kikar, not Trouble's puzzled brown eyes looking at him.

"No problem," Spell said.

"Are you okay Spell? It looks like you were crying," Trouble said. Spell turned his head and used a napkin to dry his eyes.

"Its nothing luv, just my allergies kicking up. You know how I hate hospitals," Spell said. Trouble rolled her eyes.

Finally, the elevator was at the third floor. The doors opened then Spell and Trouble walked out. A sign pointed to the juvenile ward down the hall.

When Trouble entered the ward, she saw something that tugged at her heart. Row upon rows of hospital beds with thrashing fillies and colts made her ears and tail droop. When she looked closer she could see that it wasn't aimless flailing, the foals seemed to be running. Seeing the poor foals in such distress, Trouble resolved to endure any pain her visions brought her. While Trouble was looking at the sick foals, Spell was looking at a gray filly with a white and gray mane and tail.

"Di please wake up. We all miss you. Even the blank flanks miss you," The gray filly said. Spell walked up to her and touched her shoulder. The gray filly jumped. Spell looked at her tear filled purple eyes behind her light blue glasses.

"Hey, relax. My name is Dr. Spell Tongue. You can call me Spell," Spell said. He stood a bit taller.

The filly looked up at him and sniffled. "M-my name is Silver Spoon," she said.

"Well, luv, it's great to meet you," Spell said while he held his left fore hoof out for a bump. Silver bumped his hoof and looked back at the pink filly in the bed.

"What is the name of your friend?" Spell asked.

Silver did not bother to turn around. "Her name is Diamond Tiara." Trouble walked up to Spell. He noticed that Silver didn't bother to look at her. All of her attention was focused on her friend.

"Silver, I'm a doctor. I was wondering if you could tell me what your friend was doing before she got sick," Spell said. For a moment, Silver said nothing. Spell looked at Trouble, but her eyes were unfocused.

Trouble's vision struck her with the subtlety of a baseball bat to the head. She was in a school standing behind Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara. Silver was showing a video from Mootube on her Haypod six. Trouble did not miss the hidden look of envy on Diamond Tiara's face.

"Di, check out this video!" Silver said. The video showed some fillies and colts standing around two crossed pencils on a circle. On the circle were two sets of yes and no answers.

"All you have to do is to ask Currit Maretrem some questions, and she will make the pencil point to the answer," A blue and white filly said. Then all of the ponies chanted, "Currit Maretrem, Currit Maretrem we want to know, give us an answer yes or no." At first the pencil did not move, but after a few minutes it pointed to yes. The gathered ponies screamed, and the camera fell over then the video ended.

Before Diamond could say anything, a maroon colored pony came into the room. Silver put her Haypod away. Trouble figured that the teacher had arrived. Then the vision went to another place. This room looked like a typical rich filly's room. Diamond Tiara was looking at the video on her Haypod five and muttering.

"Silvie has the latest Haypod and I don't have it before her! It's just not fair! Too bad Daddy has money problems or he would buy me one. Maybe Currit Maretrem could help?" Diamond Tiara said. A feeling of foreboding swept over Trouble. Diamond tore a page out of her notebook and made a circle with plus, minus and numbers from zero to nine. Then she found two pencils and placed them on top of the circle. With a deep breath, she started her rhyme. "Currit Maretrem, Currit Maretrem, I want to know, how high will the price of my Marecrosoft stocks will go?" For a few minutes nothing happened, then the pencil moved. Diamond squealed as the pencil picked out numbers and a plus sign. She wrote down what she saw and called her broker.

Already she was thinking the new Haypod was hers. Trouble's vision then showed quick flashes of other colts and fillies doing the chant. Then she felt like she was falling into a cold and lonely place. A large and empty city spread itself beneath her gaze. Somehow she knew there were ponies and other creatures running through the streets. In the distance, somepony was chanting. A great desire filled Trouble, she wanted to run. Then everything went white.

Trouble woke up on the cold floor with the familiar taste of blood in her mouth. Spell had a forehoof on her head while he chanted loudly. He finished the chant. Trouble sniffled and swallowed. She looked into Spell's tired blue eyes.

"Are you back luv?" Spell said while wiping blood from Trouble's nose. "The nurses will make a fuss if you leave any more blood on the floor."

Trouble wanted to laugh, but she was just too tired. "The children did a ritual with some being called Currit Maretrem." Spell grabbed another napkin. Trouble reached for it.

"Well, luv, it seems that we have learned something. Let's meet Ciderslinger in that bar he mentioned," Spell said.

"I think he said the Hayloft," Trouble said. She tried to climb to her hooves, but she fell to the floor. Spell stuck out a forehoof to help. Trouble snarled at him. This time she stood up. Her legs were a bit wobbly, but she was standing on her own.


The Hayloft

The bar was filled with the scent of cider and ponies. It was noisy, but Spell could still pick out conversations about the poor running children. He would have been more concerned if nopony talked about them. After pushing his way through some party ponies he found Ciderslinger.

He was in his element, wings partially unfurled, a half full cider mug sat on the table and two rapt mares looking at him like he was a tasty bit to devour for later. Spell felt a bit envious and regretful. He did something to Ciderslinger to drag him into this life. Again, Spell tried to peer through his cider soaked memories and again he had no idea what he did to Ciderslinger. Some pony pushed him hard.

"Come on Spell, let's get a seat! I want to taste something else in my mouth other than snot and blood! And no, I'm not interested in the other stuff," Trouble said.

"Trouble don't get your panties in a bunch. Let's give Cider some space," Spell looked back at her and pleaded.

"Really? This place isn't good enough for panties. Besides he is a big boy and he should know how to seal the deal by now. I wanna drink!" Trouble said and then pushed Spell forward.

The mares saw Trouble and Spell walk up and slid two pieces of paper to Ciderslinger. Then they walked off into the crowd. A goofy grin covered Ciderslinger's face as he put the phone numbers in his saddlebags. Trouble clambered into a seat, and raised her hoof to get the waiter's attention. Spell glumly got into his seat.

"What? One of the kids die?" Ciderslinger said while looking at Spell's face.

"No, we found out what we are dealing with," Trouble said then gulped down her cider.

"I will feel better once I take a peek at the Tome. Can you get us some food? Hay fries would be good. Trouble could use some fries, right luv?" Spell said and smiled at Trouble. She just rolled her eyes, and motioned to the waiter for more cider.

When the waiter came by, Ciderslinger ordered some food. Spell hoofed through his saddlebags until he found the Tome.The noisy bar faded away as Spell went through the pages of the book looking for more info on Currit Maretrem.

There was just one entry: Lonely.

Spell blinked. He had no idea what to do with that. Time was running out for the fillies and colts in the hospital, and his Tome had a one word entry. An idea snaked into his head, he was going to fail them.

"Equestria to Spell. Are you still here Spell?" Ciderslinger asked. His face was full of worry.

"The Tome has just this to help us. Bugger!" Spell said and then looked at Trouble. She was on another cider, but her eyes were already glazing over. That meant she was going to pass out or puke or do both. Either way, it was going to be a mess. Spell raised the Tome so Ciderslinger could see the entry. He glanced at it.

"Yeah, well it's late and we should sleep on it. Maybe we'll have better ideas in the morning," Ciderslinger said.

"Those fillies and colts don't have till tomorrow. Let's get this food to go and then get a room in a hotel. Maybe by then I will have some ideas," Spell said.

Ciderslinger grimaced but he motioned to the waiter. Spell grabbed Trouble's empty cider glass.

"Hey! I wassa more," Trouble mumbled.

"When we get to the hotel we are getting some strong coffee in you!" Spell said.

"Great, sho I can barf and twitch," Trouble said while trying to glare at Spell.

The waiter came and bagged up the food. Ciderslinger put the food in his saddlebags. Spell paid for the food and they left. Again he wondered if those colts and fillies were going to die because of his failure. Spell clenched his jaw. He resolved to beat this and save the children or die trying. Another thought hoped that wouldn't be true.

Author's Note:

Edited by ARTL