• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 2,178 Views, 93 Comments

Social Engineering - Damaged



Princess Twilight Sparkle is undertaking the grandest and greatest experiment of her life, and it all involves getting changelings to teach themselves friendship.

  • ...
9
 93
 2,178

Accepted Enjoyment

"Hey, Apple Bloom. Why'd you want to meet here?" Scootaloo looked from Sweetie to Gray, giving the changeling an oddly creepy vibe. Part of her wondered what happened to the moments where the world seemed to jump and skip—that part kept getting silenced.

Gray found herself bouncing excitedly. "Well, us blank flanks have to meet somewhere!" She turned to the side, showing her awesome potion-related cutie mark was gone.

A look of embarrassment flooded both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle's faces. "Um, actually," Scootaloo scuffed the ground with a hoof, "Apple Bloom, we… both, sort of got our cutie marks."

Terror and shock passed through Gray, but something blew that all away. It was something warm, something nice. Gray smiled wide at her friends and couldn't help but bounce a little. "You did? What are they?" Genuine excitement flooded the changeling, pride and delight for her friends grew inside her.

"Oh," Scootaloo waved a hoof, "we don't have time to go into that." She gave a little emphasis on the last word.

"And we certainly don't have time to hang out at an old clubhouse." As Sweetie Belle said it, Gray turned and saw the clubhouse she had come to think of as safe, home… fell apart.

"Yeah, we've got responsibilities now." Scootaloo seemed to somehow draw away from Gray, without really moving. The poor drone still hadn't seen her friends' cutie marks.

"But maybe we'll see you later." Sweetie Belle was doing it too now, both the fillies seeming to fall away from Gray.

"Much later." Scootaloo seemed miles away now, almost as far as Canterlot, although somehow she could still see them.

"Wait! Hold on! I can get my cutie mark back… I think." Gray tried to gallop after her friends but the faster she ran the further they got. "I got it once, right? Oh, just wait a second!" She started to scream for her friends, tears staining her cheeks.

The sound of a rooster crowing had Gray jerking upright, she felt like she had run a marathon.

"Breakfast!" Applejack's voice came from the kitchen, like clockwork.

"I'm not so sure sleep is the cure-all Applejack things it is." Gray slowly got out of the bed, landing on shaking hooves. She made her way to the kitchen to find her close family all present. "Uh… Applejack? I know you said sleep is supposed to make me feel better, but I'm pretty sure it's makin' me feel worse." Gray was lost, confused, and felt every bit the small filly she was supposed to be infiltrated as.

The world seemed to get worse, moving in like a timber wolf when it sensed the changeling's mind weakening. Gray's family seemed to have gone mad, swirling around her, talking nonsense.

"Weeell, what do we have here?" Granny Smith looked at Gray's flank, seeing something.

More crazy words spun around the drone, resolving into her brother, Big McIntosh, leaning in and pointing at her blank flank "Truth is, Apple Sleek, it's your cutie mark."

Applejack leaned in out of nowhere. "Eeyup."

The delusions got worse and worse. Gray was told she wasn't an Apple, her cutie mark seeming to change over and over. "I just want to go home!" Gray screamed the words."

The sound of a rooster crowing, followed by somepony falling into mud, woke Apple Bloom from her sleep. The filly looked around and scooted up out of bed. "Alright, this is getting ridiculous." She walked over to the mirror to check her flank and saw it completely clean. "Whoo-ee! I never thought I'd be so happy to not get a cutie mark. What…"

Then when she glanced back at it herself, she saw. "Flowers?" Apple Bloom shook her head and checked herself again, inadvertently checking the other side. "Lollipops?" She began to look back and forth between her flanks, seeing a different cutie mark each time. A glance at the mirror that had betrayed her showed a changeling reflected back, winking.

"I don't wanna see another cutie mark as long as I live!" Apple Bloom stomped a little hoof and suddenly felt a chill breeze. She was back in the forest.

"Back so soon?" The voice was chittery again.

"All right, whoever you are! I dunno what spell you went and cast on me, but I want it to stop, right now!" Apple Bloom's tolerance for this mystery was at its end and she followed the strange shape that skirted around the shadows.

"I didn't cast a spell, on you or anypony else. I only did what you wanted." The voice was mocking, still sounding like… like a changeling. Apple Bloom was scared and furious now.

Screaming her rage, the filly clopped her little hoof down over and over. "Why would I want you to torment me with nightmares?"

"You didn't want to catch bugs, and I helped." The voice seemed to move quickly, shifting through the forest silently. "You didn't want to lose friends, and I helped. If there's a problem with your family," Apple Bloom suddenly had a mental image of Applejack, Granny, and Big Mac, "I'm sure I can help with that too." The voice was identifiable now, it wasn't just a changeling's voice, it was her Queen's.

"I don't want you, I don't want your help! Just get away from me!" Apple Bloom felt tears sting her cheeks, she pushed and shoved at the shadow-shape in the forest, trying to get it away.

"Oh, Gray Sleek, you can't get away from your own shadow." It was a new voice, a warm voice. Apple Bloom looked up and saw the moon itself coalesce into a pony, a huge pony that floated gently down to her.

"P-P-Princess Luna?" Apple Bloom shook her head, the words the princess had used confused her somehow. "My shadow? What do you mean? It's just me?" She blinked and in that moment, Gray's mind restored, her form flickered and she was once more a changeling, a changeling with a long shadow. "You mean I've been doin' all this to myself?" Her voice sounded just like anyling else, but she still had Apple Bloom's drawl.

Luna watched the filly change, realizing what she was again. "Of course, Gray Sleek. It's your dream."

"I've been dreamin' this whole time, why don't I just wake up?" Gray didn't question why a princess was in her dream, nor why the mare seemed to be helping her. It was clearly a dream, facts were not consistent and, apparently, she might be a bit crazy.

"Some times we can worry about a thing so much, the fear can make us feel we're trapped in a nightmare." Luna turned her gaze to the trees, watching as the creature that had been stalking the poor changeling's dreams flowed down, shrinking into just her shadow. Something was still out there, Luna knew exactly what. She smiled to the pony she had brought to the dream, just once, before banishing her back to her own. "I don't suppose there's anything you're particularly afraid of, is there?" The world seemed to fade into the moonlight and Gray was suddenly standing on nothing, floating in the stars. With Luna.

Gray scuffed her hoof on the ground, mimicking an action she knew Apple Bloom used. Of course she had nothing to hide now, she was found out. "Yeah… I guess I've been pretty worried about getting' my cutie mark."

"More pony than you know." Luna's words were so soft only she and the wind itself could hear them, she raised her voice. "Well, that is the same as worrying about who you are." She saw the changeling look intensely introspective. "That is all a cutie mark is. If you cannot accept who you are, your life might seem like a bad dream."

Hovering in nothingness, with just the alicorn before her, Gray tilted her head a little. "But… if I like who she is, do you think other ponies will like me?"

"Of course." Luna smiled.

"Then it doesn't matter what my cutie mark is, or who I am!" Gray felt a freedom of her very soul that was so profound she began to cry at the beauty of it.

Luna leaned down and gently kissed the drone on the forehead. "Indeed."

"But…" Gray's eyes flew open, gazing up at the alicorn, "that's so simple! I must be the only changeling in the universe this worried about who she is!"

"Oh…" Luna began to summon the dream plane's entrances, pulling them into being with her will. "I wouldn't say that."

A door opened and a scene played out for Gray. A changeling, comically wearing a mask of Sweetie Belle, was standing before a whole mess of ponies. "Is she going to do anything?" "Look, she is breaking character." "Can't even slip into disguise properly!"

The drone slumped and looked terrified.

Luna closed that door and opened another. Scootaloo, or at least a changeling dressed up as Scootaloo, with adorable little fake wings, was trying to balance on a scooter and… failing. "I just wasn't good at this kind of thing!" The drone was terrified.

"They… they're both changelings too?" Gray's eyes were wide open, she hadn't even remembered when she had slipped back into Apple Bloom as a disguise.

"It's been a busy night for us all, but I think it's time to bring it to a close. For you." Luna found three new doors, opening them. Gray froze, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, the real ones, trotted out of those dreams.

"Hi!" Apple Bloom waved to the changeling disguised as her, somehow she knew they were. Must have been a dream thing. "Princess Luna told us we would be meeting a new pony tonight."

"You look so awesome, can you do Rainbow Dash?" Scootaloo ran up beside the changeling, bouncing.

Sweetie Belle just walked up and lifted a hoof. She waited a moment before gave a smile and waved.

The Princess of the Moon was standing with all four of them, the three Cutie Mark Crusaders all spotting her at once. "Princess Luna!"

"I know you've all had a lot on your minds tonight, but I think Gray has something she'd like to share before you wake." Luna leaned down and gave the disguised changeling a little nudge.

Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo all looked to the drone.

"Well, I guess I should call this dream meeting of the Cutie Mark Crusaders to order…" Gray Sleek looked down and scuffed a hoof.

"Go on!" "Woo!" The changeling got a few cheers of support from the fillies, clearly accepting her membership.

"I know we all got pretty anxious when we found out Babs got her cutie mark, but I-" Gray didn't get any further.

Three little voices shouted out in unison. "Babs got her cutie mark?"

The dream snapped, the shock of it breaking not just the three fillies from Luna's care, but Gray as well.


Apple Bloom, or Gray Sleek, was sitting in the far corner of the farm. She had seen an odd note on her pillow when she woke and had practically raced down here.

"You followed my message?" Dark, huge, smiling. Luna stepped from out of Gray's view, accompanied by Twilight Sparkle. "Gray Sleek, you are a very special pony."

Gray blinked up at the two princesses. "I… I am?"

"But you need to stay here a little longer." Twilight reached out a hoof to clear a little bit of sleep from the filly's eye. "You see, I am doing something amazing..."

Author's Note:

And we have the conclusion of S5E4!

I am starting something new. "Ask x", x can be any pony within the story. You can ask them anything and I they will definitely hopefully reply. Keep the questions appropriate to the age-rating of the stories and of course, I They will answer the best question(s) in the author notes of the next chapter. The more votes a comment has the more likely I will get it to the right pony to answer, try and keep it to one answer per post!

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
Canary in the coal mine
Daremo
Mary Rowland
Boulder