• Published 1st May 2016
  • 440 Views, 10 Comments

Super Shy - Severith



What happens when two shy ponies meet? Nothing much, I guess. I never knew another pony could be just as shy as me until I met Fluttershy. Too bad we're both too shy to ask each other on a date. Of course, she has friends to help us.

  • ...
2
 10
 440

Not Exactly Fabulous

Super Shy

Chapter 5: Not Exactly Fabulous

The morning sunlight filtered through my blinds and into my room where I still lay in my bed the next morning. I tossed around again as the previous day’s memories floated in my mind while I kept my eyes closed and tried to sleep just a little more. Staying in bed to sleep for the duration of the day seemed like a good idea at the moment. Though, the sunlight prevented me from dozing off.

I sighed. Lying in bed would not fix my problems. Neither would it reverse time to change my actions from the previous days. I knew I needed to attempt to move on with my life. There was no point in dwelling in the past.

Using my magic, I tossed the covers off of me. While still on my back, I gazed up at the ceiling. Then I swung my legs to the right and hopped out of the bed. Thus began my daily routine as I gulped down a glass of water and munched on some oats for breakfast. After trotting to the living room, I plopped down the couch. Each crunch of the oats echoed loudly in the quiet room.

What to do…I thought to myself. Sighing, I set down the bowl on the table in front of me. I guess I could get out of the house and try not to do anything embarrassing or I could just avoid everypony. That sounds much better actually. I grumbled in my mind.

“Ooh!” I exclaimed out loud as a realization came to my mind. “I could read the next Daring Do book and go to my favorite spot. I can get out of the house and away from everypony and into the fresh air…” I immediately stood up while talking to myself.

My bag, untouched for a few days, sat on a desk across the room. My levitation encompassed the bag and opened it while I trotted over to the desk. I happily peered into the pack. Humming happily for once, I sifted through the numerous books stashed inside the pack.

“Oh no,” I sighed after cycling through all the books for the fifth time. “I can’t believe this… where is it? Did I…?” My sentence trailed off. Then I hung my head in defeat. “I probably left the next book at the library. And that’s where Twilight is… one of Fluttershy’s friends. I can’t go there. It would be too embarrassing.”

After a few moments of silent contemplation, I slumped back down onto the couch. My happy, productive mood was slowly draining away. I really wanted to read the next book, but I did not want to go near any of Fluttershy’s friends right now. I just knew somehow I would run into that shy mare again and I would do something stupid.

“Err,” I groaned, tossing my head to the right. “Whatever. I’ll still go to my spot. I can read… something I guess.”

With that decision made, I grabbed my bag in my magic and headed for the door. The saddlebag slung over my back as I paused at the front door. Pointless, worrying thoughts ran through my mind, but I shoved them to the side and twisted the doorknob.

The door creaked open to reveal a bright and sunny morning awaiting me in Ponyville. Many other ponies trotted about the streets as always. I took a deep breath before beginning my small journey to the outskirts of the town.

“Ah! There you are!” a familiar female voice called out nearby.

I briskly continued on my way. Surley nopony was talking to me. Not two seconds later, the sound of hooves could be heard galloping towards me.

“Where are you so quickly off to, darling?” that same voice asked me as she neared me.

This time, I stopped and turned to my right. I still could not believe somepony would want to talk to me right now, but that voice caught my attention and there were no other ponies nearby. After seeing the pony hailing me though, I immediately realized where I knew that voice.

She stopped and stared right at me while giving me a slightly annoyed yet welcoming smirk. Her stylishly rolled purple mane bobbed slightly when she moved her head and talked. Her brilliantly bright white coat glistened in the morning sun and her blue eyes pierced into mine.

This mare was a friend of Fluttershy.

“Hey…,” I muttered while trying not to shake. I had just remembered that I had met this mare yesterday at the concert with Fluttershy.

“Do you have formal attire that you could wear?” the unicorn mare asked.

“Uh… no?” I responded, a little perplexed.

“Ugh,” she groaned while rolling her eyes and tossing her head back. She whipped around and began trotting the other the other way. Suddenly, a blue force of magic nudged my rump, pushing me forward a bit. “Follow me. I’ll need all the time I have to get you ready for tonight.”

“What?!” I questioned, incredulously, while following her. “Why?”

“Why, your date with Fluttershy, of course!” she answered with a smile and a wink back at me.

* * *

“Hmm… what do you think of this suit? I think you look quite dapper,” the white unicorn named Rarity (which I had finally remembered), asked as she stood to the side of me as she contemplated.

I shifted around a little uncomfortably on the pedestal that was placed in front of three mirrors that angled toward me. “I guess. I mean, I told you, I don’t know much about fashion,” I mumbled softly.

Turning my head slightly to the left and right, I took in my current appearance. The suit covered the front half of my torso and legs. It was a luxurious purple and white piece. She had offered a top hat, but I declined. This was the fourth outfit she had made me wear so far after arriving at her boutique. Clothes never bothered me before since I rarely wore any. So wearing these fancy attires pushed me out of my comfort zone. I knew I could say no to Rarity, but I hated to decline her offer to find a suitable suit for this upcoming date. I still wanted to see Fluttershy even though I feared that I would make a fool of myself. Going along with Rarity’s plan seemed like the better course. It did not help that I was too shy to say anything, though.

“Maybe not this one then,” Rarity said. “And honestly, darling, you really would look nice with a top hat. I know it would be a little boring and traditional, but how about a black suit with a white undershirt? That might make you feel a little more… eh… normal.”

“Sure,” I shrugged.

So Rarity walked back to her clothes room and reemerged with a new sharp looking suit. She levitated over to me. I grabbed it with my magic while I headed to the dressing room. A few minutes later, I returned. I stepped back onto the pedestal to check myself out in the mirrors.

“Ooh!” Rarity gushed. “I do say, this one is quite charming. You really do looking handsome in this suit.”

I turned in place as I examined my new appearance. This suit did suit me, I admitted. “Yeah,” I replied. “I… like it,” I added as the realization started to dawn on me. The more I looked, the more I admired the way I looked in this suit. A spark of renewed confidence ignited inside me. Maybe I could go through this date without making a fool of myself.

“Excellent!” Rarity beamed. “Then it is settled. Now that you have some formal attire, I’m sure everything with go just fine. You and Fluttershy will be so happy.”

“I hope,” I mumbled more to myself. Then I continued a little shakily, “So… um… how much does this suit cost? Or…?”

“Oh, nonsense dear,” Rarity waved her hoof at me. “No charge for you dear, but unfortunately, I can’t let you keep it. You can borrow the clothes for tonight, but I’ll want them back after that. I’m generous, but not that generous. But I mean, if you and Fluttershy were more than friends eventually…,” she trailed off.

Still looking in the mirror, I blushed. “Uhh…,” I stammered. “I… it’s just… well… shy…”

Rarity chuckled. “I know I shouldn’t try to force two ponies together, but you two shy ponies make an interesting pair.”

“Maybe,” I smirked. “I… I know I’m really shy and she is too, so I don’t think it would work out, but… I don’t know.”

“Yes, I can tell you are quite shy just like her,” Rarity commented. “Fluttershy is too, but not all of the time. She is the sweetest thing once you get to know her, too.”

“Really? I…,” I started, but I was not sure how to express my thoughts into words. I wanted to tell Rarity that I felt something about Fluttershy, but that something was difficult to describe. I hoped that I liked her, but honestly I did not know much about her. Instead, I settled on saying, “Well, I guess I’m looking forward to tonight’s date. The last three didn’t go so well.”

“Ah yes, I heard,” Rarity stated. “Tonight should go much better, I promise. Just show up around seven o’clock at the Town Hall and be ready to dance!”

“Okay,” I answered. “Um… by the way, why are you helping me? You are the fourth friend of Fluttershy’s to set us up. You don’t even know me.”

“Well, I know I just want to help you two out,” Rarity explained carefully. “And there’s something Fluttershy saw about you. Since the others have more or less failed it seems, I knew I had to show Fluttershy what a real date should be. So, what would be better than a nice soiree and dance? Speaking of dancing, you do know how to dance, right?”

I averted my eyes down and kicked at the ground with my right hoof. “I know the concept of dancing,” I muttered my case.

Rarity rolled her eyes because of me for the second time that day.

* * *

As the sun set later that day, I continued my nervous trotting back and forth in my living room as the awaited time of day approached. It had taken at least a half hour to convince myself to dress in the suit from Rarity. It was still too early to leave, but I wanted to leave with enough time to get to the Town Hall before seven o’clock. Of course, doubt once again was lingering and preventing me from committing to this date.

“Eh, how much more of a doofus can I be, anyways?” I told myself out loud. Then I took the fateful step outside.

It was almost night time in the evening in Ponyville. Not many ponies were trotting about the streets as they had gone home for the day.

All dressed up in my new suit, I made my way to the center of town where this small dance was being held. Apparently, this was a monthly gathering of ponies. Rarity had told me all about how she was part of the committee that set up these kinds of events. She said Ponyville lacked the sophistication of Canterlot. So this dance was a chance to bring some of that culture to our little town.

A few other nicely dressed ponies were also headed to the dance as I neared the Town Hall. There was no sign of Rarity or Fluttershy outside, so I took a deep breath before walking inside the building.

The Town Hall looked like nothing I had seen before. The center floor was cleared out and a band of ponies were playing classical instruments on the stage facing the dance floor. Streamers and fancy-looking decorations littered the room. Tables lined with nice white table top covers filled the room around the dance floor. To my left was a line of serving tables topped with classy foods and drinks including a punch bowl. There were probably two dozen or so of finely dressed mares and stallions conversing amongst one another in small groups scattered throughout the area.

Then I spotted her.

Across the room to my left stood Fluttershy in an elegant green dress with flowers in her pink, flowing mane. Through the small crowd, I could see her talking with her friend Rarity who wore an extravagant red dress. They were turned perpendicular to me and several ponies stood between us, so I was not immediately noticed by the two mares.

My heart fluttered.

After all the failed, disappointing, odd, and awkward dates, that rush of excitement and optimism still drove me try yet again. We barely knew each other, but maybe that could change tonight. Even though I had never actually danced in a formal dance with another pony, I was confident that I could at least get by with the tips Rarity had given me and my knowledge.

Rarity glanced at the door. Seeing me still standing near the entrance, she smiled and waved me over. I could not hear what she was saying, but Fluttershy responded by looking my way. We made brief eye contact before I immediately looked away.

Stupid… I’m so stupid… I berated myself in my thoughts. Just act like she is any other pony. No need to be shy anymore.

“There you are, darling!” I heard hooves trot nearer and the voice of Rarity call out to me.

I attempted to shake off my embarrassment as I looked up to see Rarity not too far from me. In the distance, I noticed in the corner of my eye that Fluttershy was had not moved and determinately gazing about the room with a small smile and blush slightly hidden behind her lovely pink mane.

“Why don’t you come over and join Fluttershy and me over there?” Rarity offered. “There’s no need to stand by the doorway all night.”

“Oh, heh,” I agreed with a small, nervous laugh as I realized I had not moved since entering the building. Another pony brushed passed me on his way inside the hall. “Sorry,” I mumbled.

Then Rarity led me through the room to where Fluttershy waited patiently. She was humming just softly enough for us to not bother anypony within earshot.

“Um… hello,” I quietly greeted Fluttershy while looking in her general direction but not in her eyes.

“Hello…,” the shy mare responded softly.

“You, uh, look nice,” I managed to say.

“Thanks,” she said as she blushed a little bit and smiled. “You, too.”

Now it was my turn to blush and smile. I idly rubbed my left leg with my right hoof and stared at the ground in hopes that it might have another response I could give or confidence to continue this conversation. Unfortunately, nothing was written on the floor.

Defying all odds, our conversation ceased due to our shyness.

Rarity watched the two shy ponies for a minute with a fake smile plastered upon her face and worried eyes. “Well…,” she finally said to hopefully jump start the dead conversation. “Everypony is here now and just in time! I see Mayor Mare is about to give a small speech before we officially start the event.”

Sure enough, the gray maned, brown mare was making her way to the forefront of the stage. The whole room, which had been buzzing with small conversations, simmered down to a silence as all eyes focused on the stage.

“Welcome fillies and gentlecolts! It is such an honor to be here,” Mayor Mare said. “I am so glad to see such an outstanding group of ponies attend this sophisticated event. Now, let the night commence!”

Eveypony cheered at once after the small speech. Then they began to gather onto the dancing floor. Each pony chose a partner. Most selected a pony of the opposite gender, but a few decided to dance with a pony of the same gender. As the fancy music recommenced, the ponies on the floor started to dance in time with rhythm.

Fluttershy and I waited on the sideline. I briefly glanced her way and made a small move with a comment on the tip of my tongue, but I ultimately chickened out. I shuffled my hooves a bit. Fluttershy fluttered her feathers. We both failed to initiate.

“Well then,” Rarity spoke to break the silence between our little group. “I guess that’s our cue?” She tilted her head towards the dance floor. A strained smile crossed her face.

I peeked over at Fluttershy. She was slowly disappearing behind her mane. So I decided to take action for once. “After you,” I said a little shakily to Fluttershy while I held out my left hoof towards the dance floor. I even smiled encouragingly despite holding back the nervousness trying to take over my body.

Fluttershy responded by advancing ever so slightly forward. Her eyes were glued to her destination. Cautiously, I took my place by her side and we both slowly trotted to the group of dancing ponies. Fluttershy let out a nervous chuckle as we neared the designated area.

See, this isn’t too bad. I thought to myself. I just have to stop overthinking this and just go with the flow. In no time, we’ll be dancing like these other fancy looking ponies.

Somehow, the two of us reached an empty spot on the dance floor. We turned so that we were face to face. I slightly shook from anticipation and nervousness. Fluttershy ruffled her wings again. Then we made rare eye contact with a nervous smile on each of our faces.

Time stood still at that moment. Then I remembered: I did not know how to dance.

So we stood in our little area of heaven. I felt the lights shining bright on us, but I was incapable of doing anything. All around us, ponies danced gracefully with their partners. I panicked. My eyes darted from each magnificent pair to the next as I tried to glean any knowledge of dancing from them. I saw their chests almost touching while they each stepped rhythmically back and forth.

It had been an eternity since Fluttershy and I had entered the realm of dancing and still we had not attempted any such maneuver. Once again, I took the initiative. I edged slightly closer to Fluttershy while gazing in her general direction. Then, I emulated the other dancing pairs and I stepped diagonally right and to the left of Fluttershy. I placed my hooves down in a timed one-two step.

Startled, Fluttershy stared at me. I stared back at her, hoping that she might catch on to my clumsy attempt to start our dance. She glanced down once. Then, she mirrored me by moving backwards diagonally to her left so that she ended up facing me again.

We laughed softly together as we shared that small moment of accomplishment.

With an iota of experience under our belts, we continued to awkwardly dance. It was anything but graceful or smooth. One would take steps and the other would follow. There was not any real coordination or rhythm to our dance, but that was far from my concern for the time being.

A small chuckle to my left broke me out of my concentration. I looked up to see a pair of ponies peek over at Fluttershy and me. The two dancing ponies bore grins on their faces as they conversed amongst each other. This caused paranoia to creep into my mind.

Are they laughing at us? I thought to myself. With my attention diverted, I accidentally stepped too close and bumped into Fluttershy. “Sorry,” I apologized.

Several seconds later, I stumbled a bit and Fluttershy ran into me. “Oh, sorry,” she also apologized.

I followed that by inadvertently stepping on her right hoof. “Sorry… again,” I mumbled my second apology, shaking my head.

I was in full panic mode at this point. All the other pairs of ponies were perfectly in time with each other, unlike Fluttershy and me. They gracefully glided over the dance floor in elegant patterns. This contrasted with our jerky and random stomps. As I became more aware of our differences, I lost even more focus which pronounced the ugliness of our dance. Eventually, I gave up completely and only took the smallest steps possible with my head hung low.

“Well, um…,” Fluttershy commented, also making small movements. “I’m sorry. I’m not a good dancer. I’ve… never really danced with anypony before.”

“Yeah… same here,” I confessed. “I’m sorry. It’s just that I kinda noticed we were dancing awkwardly compared to everypony else.”

“Oh,” Fluttershy said. “Yeah, it is a little awkward.”

We danced for several minutes more. Our hooves barely moved and our conversation died. Despite this, I glimpsed a small on Fluttershy’s face. We were not making eye contact, but we were looking in the general direction of each other.

That smile emboldened me. I had not lost yet.

So I decided to change tactics. Dancing was not working out too well for me at least. It had been too focused on impressing Fluttershy. Maybe we needed a chance to just talk.

“Hey, do you want to take a break?” I suggested. “Get some punch or something?”

“Sure!” Fluttershy replied happily.

Then our eyes met for a rare time that night right before I led the way to the punch bowl. Fluttershy trotted next to me with a slight bounce in her step. Upon reaching the drink, I levitated two cups from the stack. Then I grabbed the punch ladle with my levitation and poured some purple punch into the cups. Next, I headed for an empty table. Setting down the cups in front of two seats next to each other, I sat down and Fluttershy took the seat next to me.

The yellow pegasus sipped at her her drink. Her eyes flicked to me for a second, but she did not say anything.

“So,” I said, trying the punch. “This is… fun.”

“Yeah,” Fluttershy agreed before taking another drink.

Our intriguing conversation halted for a second as the silence began to drag on, but this time, I chose to push through the awkwardness.

“Yeah,” I sighed. “I don’t think we’re the best dancers. Those other ponies are way more experienced. Once I saw them, I felt like I was making the wrong steps. Still though… it was fun. Dancing, with you.” I casually looked up to the ceiling and chuckled.

“Mhm,” Fluttershy responded, smiling. “It was a little awkward, but I still had fun… dancing with you. I don’t think we’re bad dancers, though.”

“Yeah.”

There was another pause when we both said nothing.

“It’s a beautiful evening,” Fluttershy commented, breaking the silence. “Everypony looks so nice and happy. This isn’t really my type of get together. Rarity has been telling me of this dance for a while, but I just get so nervous sometimes around other ponies.” She talked softly while fiddling with her hooves and glancing at the dancing ponies.

I listened to the quiet mare speak. My eyes wandered all around the room, but I kept turning back to her. Her delicate, happy voice comforted me and eased my nerves.

“Heh, I know what you mean,” I added while watching Fluttershy out of the corner of my eye. “It takes me awhile to get comfortable around other ponies.”

“Oh, yeah,” Fluttershy nodded, glancing sideways at me before lowering her head and staring at her drink. “That’s why I’m glad you came tonight. It’s nice to be with another pony like me.” After that statement, a slight, red tinge began to spread on her cheeks. She also nervously twirled her mane with her right hoof.

Surprised, I turned my head left and smiled with my mouth slightly agape. Seeing Fluttershy blush, I started to blush as well.

“Yeah, it’s nice to be with another shy pony,” I said softly and slowly moving my head right to face forward again. “You know… this past week has been interesting. But at least… I’ve had a chance to talk to you.” I smiled to myself.

“Mhm. It has been a little crazy. My friends wanting to help…”

Fluttershy’s last sentence disappeared into silence. I was not sure how to exactly respond. Instead, I focused on my own thoughts.

On the dance floor, the fancy ponies continued gracefully gliding around each other. Other ponies throughout the room conversed among one another. The band filled the room with classical music to set the mood.

“To think…,” I responded eventually. “If I hadn’t left my home anytime this week, I never would have run into you.” I laughed a little, smiling casually at Fluttershy. “For instance, if I had not wanted to go read under my tree, I would not have run into Rarity today. And if I had not wanted the next Daring Do book…” I trailed off.

“Is that why you went to the library?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yeah,” I nodded. “And I was so nervous when I saw you that I forgot to take the book.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Fluttershy mumbled while retreating into her mane.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry about it,” I reassured her. “I have other books to read, so it’s not a big deal.”

“Oh,” Fluttershy pawed at her drink. “So, you like to read?”

“Yeah,” I answered while slightly shifting around to face Fluttershy. “And you like to sing?”

“Well…,” the shy mare twirled her mane again. “Yeah, but by myself.”

“Ah, I understand,” I said, then added, “you… have a beautiful voice.”

Now that red tinge blossomed all over Fluttershy’s cheeks at my comment. She squeaked and unintentionally knocked over her drink. “Oh no, I’m sorry!” she blurted an apology as she frantically looked around for something to clean up her mess.

“It’s okay! I got it!”

Thinking quickly, with my magic I gathered up some napkins from a nearby table. I dabbed at the spilled liquid with the napkins. The spillage was stopped before it reached Fluttershy’s wonderful dress.

“T-thank you,” Fluttershy said softly while righting her cup.

“No problem,” I responded. Before thinking carefully, I said after giggling a bit, “I mean it. You do have an amazing singing voice.”

Fluttershy turned to me. A genuine smile spread across her face which was not hiding behind her mane. We made eye contact briefly before we both changed our gazes to mess on the table. I could not help but smile.

“What are you two doing over here?” the inquiring voice of Rarity met my ears.

Looking up, I saw the white unicorn mare approaching our table. She glanced between the Fluttershy and me. She had an encouraging smile on her face.

“Shouldn’t you two be dancing? The music is so lovely that I would hate to miss out on an opportunity to dance,” Rarity continued.

“We were just taking a break,” Fluttershy explained.

“Oh, darling, you two have been taking a break for a while now,” Rarity scoffed. “You two need to be dancing! That’s how you make this a wonderful night!”

“Oh, okay… if you say so,” Fluttershy mumbled before following Rarity towards the dance floor.

I hesitated, watching the two mares trot off. That billowing feeling of comfortableness and happiness was deflating in me. At that moment, I actually wanted to stay and focus on talking with Fluttershy. I could tell, too, that she did not particularly want to dance. I also sort of dreaded another dance. Knowing myself, I would probably fail again.

“Come on, this is the perfect song!” Rarity said delightedly, turning to me. On stage, the musicians had begun to play a soft, slow song.

Against my better judgement, I rejoined Fluttershy on the dance floor. I hated to deny Fluttershy a dance even though I was worried.

We started dancing just like we had at the beginning of the night. We sort of waltzed around in our chosen spot. Our steps lacked rhythm. As the song dragged on, I fell out of sync with the timing of the music. This caused me to run into Fluttershy several times and stomp on her hooves on accident. With each blunder, I became more and more flustered which led to more blunders.

“I’m sorry,” I repeated myself over and over after each stupid mistake. I tried to focus on every little step, but to no avail.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Fluttershy wince several times, but she continued to dance with me. She even smiled encouragingly at me. All I could do was frown at my failures.

“It’s okay,” Fluttershy mumbled several times. “I’m fine.”

It was just too much for me.

“I’m sorry…,” I sighed. “I… need another break, I guess.” I excused myself and walked dejectedly to the side of the room where our table was. I looked back to see Fluttershy giving me a quizzical look. Then I sat down and stared hopelessly at the table top.

A minute later, Fluttershy joined me. She sat down in her seat without a word.

“I just…,” I started to say before sighing.

What am I even doing here? I thought to myself. I will always be like this. Always judging myself with other ponies. Always failing to find the right words.

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault,” Fluttershy whispered. “I don’t think I’m very good at these kinds of things anyways. I think I need to go home. I know Angel is probably hungry. It was nice seeing you again.”

I heard her rise out of her chair. At that moment, I could not think of what to say. By the time I had comprehended what she had said, Fluttershy had trotted all the way to the entrance. I watched her leave. The doors closed behind her gorgeous pink flowing tail.

A single word was caught in my throat.

Wait!

Author's Note:

So sorry about the hiatus. I finally got around to writing this chapter. I have the time to write, so the next chapter should not take as long to write. Thanks for reading!