• Published 1st May 2016
  • 440 Views, 10 Comments

Super Shy - Severith



What happens when two shy ponies meet? Nothing much, I guess. I never knew another pony could be just as shy as me until I met Fluttershy. Too bad we're both too shy to ask each other on a date. Of course, she has friends to help us.

  • ...
2
 10
 440

Shy Encounter

Super Shy

Chapter 1: Shy Encounter

“Finally, a chance to relax,” I sighed as I plopped down next to tree. After setting down my bag, I levitated out a book and set it down in front of me. I magically flipped through the pages to my current place in the book. The shade from the tree and the cool breeze comforted me as I delved into the fantastical world of Daring Do.

A sound drifted through wind over the gardens on the outskirts of Ponyville. The voice was just sweet and innocent enough to break my concentration.

“There’s music in the treetops! And there’s music in the vale!!” the beautiful voice floated to my isolated spot.

I looked up to see a happy, yellow pegasus with a flowing pink mane and tail skipping merrily towards me. The gentle sound of her voice soothed my ears. Her eyes were closed as she skipped closer and closer to my space.

“And all around the music fills the sky!!” the lovely female pegasus continued. “There’s music by…” Suddenly, she stopped as she opened her eyes, noticing me for the first time. Immediately, her eyes widened in shock. She quickly clammed up as she saw me watching her a couple feet from the path at my tree.

I returned her gaze, but quickly averted my eyes from the awkwardness of the situation. I assumed she did too, considering her prolonged silence. I chanced another glance just as she peeked over at me. Smiling and blushing to myself, I averted my eyes once again, knowing she probably did too.

We stayed at this standstill of shyness for what felt like eternity.

“Um…. nice song…,” I muttered softly at an attempt to break the silence. I chanced another glance.

The yellow pony smiled nervously and kicked her front right hoof casually while whimpering, “Th-th-thanks…”

The awkward standstill commenced once again.

I felt like I should say something clever and smart or something. I really had enjoyed the pegasus’s voice and song, but I did not exactly know how to translate my incoherent thoughts into a reasonable, sane compliment. I always seemed to get tongue-tied around any female pegasus. This moment especially had caught me by surprise.

“Ummm...thanks,” the pegasus responded softly.

Again, the awkward silence continued.

I did not have anything I felt worthy of contributing to this sudden exchange. My social interaction comprised of me saying “Hello” to random Ponyvillians throughout the day. I did not know how to proceed with this event, but my lingering interest of this pegasus demanded I present my best side. Yet, I failed to show my alluring side. I know I had seen this pony before, but I could not for the life of me remember her name. We were both residents of Ponyville, I was sure. Still, her name alluded my clouded thoughts. I felt obligated to say something cool or funny, but my social awkwardness impeded me.

“You’re voice is...umm...be-...be-…, um….,” I attempted to stab at complementing the gorgeous mare. Unfortunately, my shyness took hold, forcing me to blush profusely while glaring at my open book.

“Mmmmm….mhm….,” sputtered the shy pegasus. Her eyes darted anywhere but at me. Though I did notice her gaze slightly lingered on me for just one second.

Once again, the silence lingered.

“Well...umm…,” she whispered.

Out of the corner or my eyes, I saw her slowly back away from me. I mumbled, “‘Bye,” but I doubt she heard me. Oh well. The whole encounter had caught me off guard. Of course, most social interactions catch me off guard.

* * *

I trotted through the center of the marketplace. Levitating the the scroll in front of me, I looked over my list. Sighing to myself, I approached the first stall. Several ripe red onions were on display on the counter and in the buckets to the side. I picked out a few good onions. I handed over the required bits before heading off to my next destination. The attendant gladly took my money with a smile. I moved on as I stashed the onions in my bag.

Onions, check. I thought to myself, checking off the the item on my list. What next?

The mid-afternoon crowd began forming in the streets. This made my shopping a bit difficult than expected. Unfortunately, I had to weave in and out of ponies to continue. The sudden influx of ponies made me feel a little uncomfortable. My next destination, the lettuce stand, had a group of ponies browsing the wares.

I’ll come back, I guess. I thought while backing away. Sighing, I trotted down the street. I should go home, I guess I don’t NEED this stuff.

I took one last sweep across the marketplace to make sure there was something I absolutely needed. My eyes stopped not at a stand, but a familiar pony. That pink flowing mane and tail and yellow fur stood out from all the other dull bodies.

The traffic of the crowd curved around the mare as she carefully walked up to a stand. Her wide eyes nervously looked over the wares. Other ponies browsed the same stand. They ever so slightly stepped in front of her. As each pony casually shopped, the mare's eyes watched the new ponies. Her mouth muttered quiet apologies and took small steps back. Her head drooped and muzzle quivered.

I watched this happen from a distance. Seeing her signs of timidness reminded me of my recent attempt to buy something. A knowing smile crossed my face.

If only i could help her. I thought to myself as she continued walking shyly around the ponies. So I began to envision a happy daydream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my mind, I saw myself confidently lead the way to the tomato stand. Nopony stood in my way. "How many tomatoes do you need, my dear?" I asked the mare (I really needed to know her name).

"Umm...three would be fine," she answered.

"Three tomatoes, please!" I spoke without hesitation.

The attendant picked out three amazing tomatoes for us. I handed over some bits.

"Here you go!" I presented the tomatoes for my nameless mare.

"Yay!" She exclaimed. Her gorgeous blue eyes brightened and her ears perked up. Soft, warm legs wrapped around me in a hug. Looking up me, I gazed down at her to see a single tear form at the corner of her eye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The daydream soothed my nerves. I continued to absentmindedly watch the yellow pony apprehensively sift through the crowd. She generously stepped aside for others. Those eyes darted anxiously between ponies.

Suddenly, from two stalls down, our eyes met.

At once, my mind raced into overdrive. My head snapped about as I pretended not to have been staring at her. I quickly turned to the nearest stand. Blood rushed to my cheeks even as I tried uselessly to convince myself not to be embarrassed. In my peripherals, I noticed the mare stare just for a bit before I lost my intense interest in her.

“Can I help you?” the pony at the vendor asked me instead of the other two ponies near me. His eyes squinted a little in confusion.

“Ummm….,” I jittered. “I’m just....just looking.”

“Okay...,” the pony said wearily before turning his attention to the others.

What do I do?! I thought. She probably saw me, gawking like an idiot! She doesn’t even know me. She probably thinks I’m weird or a stalker or something. I don’t know… is she gone?

I chanced a glance to my right. Two stands down, I spotted her perusing the stand I had seen her just before she had seen me. Of course, she peeked to her left, right at me.

Our eyes met, again.

This time I saw the brief flash of a embarrassment cross her face before I once again tried in vain to distract myself. Though, the only image that crossed my mind was the brief glimpse of a smile on her muzzle. Even my crippling anxiety could not erase that single thing from my mind. I mirrored that smile with my own lips. It took me a few seconds to remember my surroundings. This helped bring me back to reality. My awkwardness awareness heightened to levels way above comfortableness. With my ears flaming, I shuffled away from the scene. I limited my area of vision and attention to just a narrow cone in front of me towards edge of the market.

The noise of all the other ponies chattered about me. Of course no one paid me any judgement as I scurried around them. Though one voice struck out amongst the babble.

“Fluttershy, there you are!” the female voice said. “Where are you going?”

“Oh… hey Twilight,” I heard a familiar sound from another female pony. “I think I’m done for now. I got most of what I needed.”

I could not believe it. Even though I had tried to escape that scene, my lack of awareness had blinded me. There, now across the street, stood the same mare from before. Luckily, she did not notice me. Her arriving friends preoccupied her from seeing me. Her pink, flowing mane also curled in front of her mane, impeding her view even more.

“Ooh! Ooh! Lookie what I found! said a pink pony with pink, puffy hair.

“Are you alright, darling?” asked another mare, this one with a white coat and a purple, magnificently curled mane. “Are you sure you got everything? You look a bit frazzled.”

“Oh… I’m fine, Rarity,” the quiet mare sighed. Her voice not exactly conveying her statement.

What do I do? Should I leave? I probably should before she notices me again. I thought to myself, but I did not immediately trot away. A slight curiosity compelled me to stay.

“Are you sure, dear? You look… distracted. Did somepony get in your way again?” the white mare, Rarity inquired her friend. “Or did somepony say something mean to you?”

“Oh… no it’s not that,” Fluttershy reassured. “It’s just…”

“What? You know you can talk to us about anything,” Rarity encouraged the timid mare.

“Well… ummm… it’s just… I… ummm… kind of met this… ummm… stallion yesterday…,” Fluttershy uneasily told them.

Nope! Okay! I’m out! Don’t need to hear anymore! I told myself, my eyes going wide. Stumbling around, my hooves attempted to lead me far away from that area. I heard the collective gasps and giggling of the collective mares.

The last thing I heard was Rarity saying, “You should go on a date!”

That suggestion caused me to skip a step and run into another pony. The pony in question shot me a frown while I apologized. He shook his head before trotting off. Luckily, I was far enough away from the mares that they did not notice anything.

A date? With me? That would be… so awkward. I don’t even know what I would do. I thought to myself as I left the market. Though, the more I thought about it, the more I warmed up to the idea of going on a date with that lovely mare. Visions of us on a successful date swam danced in my head, but I quickly waved them away.

How would a date with another shy pony work? No way that could go well. Still… maybe something could connect us. It might be worth it for that small hope of sharing a nice evening with another pony.