• Published 11th Apr 2016
  • 3,221 Views, 193 Comments

Rogue Chaos - FrostTheWolf



The Rogues of the Detritus Rings try to raise a infant Discord while fighting to survive and protect the last star in the universe from the Varelsi. This is either going to be good... or drive everyone insane.

  • ...
9
 193
 3,221

PreviousChapters Next
The Voids Edge: No Turning Back

Rogue Chaos- The Void’s Edge: No Turning Back


The following morning, Shayne and Aurox were up early along with Discord as the three of them were getting use to their new… neighbors. With everyone getting their own room, Kleese possibly asleep back on the ship and them being the only ones up, they had to be extra quiet to not wake anyone up as they went to the kitchen. However, all their basic efforts with stealth and Aurox’s help wasn’t quite enough when they entered the kitchen. Only to end up seeing a familiar face have her feet propped up on the table with her hands behind her head.

“Oh, hello… I honestly didn’t expect to have anybody else be here this early in the morning.” The figure replied. Shayne could tell right away from the pointy ears and the mismatched eyes, along with the Eldrid Gauntlet on her arms who she was. They had met before when Ghalt was gathering everyone up for all the current recruits of Battleborn and she was Ghalt’s contact with the Eldrid like Reyna was with the Rogues.

“Who’s dis, mama?” Discord asked, having himself be on Shayne’s shoulder while looking at the newcomer.

“You’re the Eldrid that works with Ghalt and the old fart named Kleese,” Shayne replied, folding her arms as she looked back at the pointy eared mercenary and tried to remember her name. “Mellka right?”

“Guess news comes around quick out here,” She replied, taking her feet off the table and standing upright. “Yes, my name is Mellka. However, on the subject of Kleese, he’s not quite exactly a fart… More like a genius that doesn’t know when to shut up at times. Trust me, I’ve learned that the hard way-.” She stopped speaking though the second that she saw Aurox emerge from the light in the background as Shayne tried to see if there was any coffee. “Okay, who or what is that?”

“I have a name…” Aurox groaned.

“Chill out, Aurox,” Shayne sighed, pouring herself some coffee and adding some of the necessary essentials like creamer and sweetener before sitting back down along with having a small plate of cookies. Not for her though, but for Discord. “Don’t mind him, he’s just grumpy in the mornings.”

“I see…” Mellka turned to see Discord as she watched the eager youngling munch on the cookies. “So… how did you end up becoming the mother of this little guy?”

“Long story short, we found him in a town while scavenging for supplies and ended up taking him in. He see’s Aurox and I as his parents, Reyna as Grandma, Whiskey Foxtrot as Grandpa, Orendi as his Crazy Auntie and Toby as his uncle. This was before the whole Battleborn gig with Ghalt and back then, three of his guys were trying to kill us. But it seems to have cleared up now.” Shayne explained, causing the Eldrid to laugh a little upon remembering when she met the Penguin originally and how he got in Ghalt’s face for denying him of service to the peacekeepers for being “too cute” to fight. This was also when Discord noticed the Eldrid’s left arm… or more specifically, what was on it.

“Cwazy arm!!” He squealed a little, waving his paw in the air to try and catch Mellka’s attention before stumbling backwards in his chair. “Oops… Sowwy.”

“Well, that’s the most cutest response to my bio gauntlet that I’ve heard… well… ever.” The Eldrid replied. “The only other person that I remember saying something about it was Kleese when he was saying the reason behind the design of my my machine pistol and it wasn’t really positive to say the least.”

“What did he say?”

“He specifically said that he modified the design on the weapon based on my… horrific disfigurement.” She said, air quoting the last part as he looked at the two of them. “At least the little guy likes it.”

“Heh, he likes a lot of things. He’s a bundle of chaos anywhere he goes. Heck, it’s the reason for his name,” Shayne told Mellka as she drank another gulp of her coffee. “We decided to call him Discord. An old Latin term that meant Chaos.”

“Ah, I see… and honestly, I thought the only time I would’ve heard anyone say any Latin was yesterday when training in the Battleground thing that Nova had set up,” The Eldrid replied, “ISIC was saying “Hello there, Persona non Grata! That means person or people that I am about to kill” or something like that. Seemed like a rough translation honestly.”

“I’m not familiar with other languages, so I wouldn't exactly know. Plus, Discord is still learning, but he was kicking some major ass with Reyna the other day.” Shayne complimented the young draconequus as he tried ruffling with his short mane. “Still, it just makes me even more curious about him. I mean… I never really would’ve cared about where someone else was from or where they were raised, but since taking this guy in, I’ve been trying to help him however I can. Hopefully, when we kick Rendain’s ass, we can somehow find a place for him and everyone else to call home.”

“I can relate to that a lot,” Mellka replied as she holstered her weapon. “The Varelsi ate up my home star and with it, collapsed all the other planets around it. Right now, a lot of the Eldrid that remain are on Ekkunar, but it in itself looks to be crumbling apart like with the rest of the worlds these days. Plus, it’s hard to gain support from the Eldrid because I was born a refugee. Sort of the reason why only Thorn is here since Miko is checking on Ekkunar right now.”

“I think Discord and I were both beginning to wonder why there weren’t so many people showing up here,” Shayne replied as Discord hopped onto her shoulder, while Aurox minded his own business. “We thought that when Ghalt and the others showed up, there would be a lot more of you guys.” Mellka herself chuckled as she looked back at them.

“Well, you guys aren’t wrong there. But it’s not that simple. Some potential candidates join our cause if we help them or demonstrate to them that we are worthy of their support. I know it sounds a lot like chivalry, but it’s how business is done here… Hopefully, with the next mission, we could get some more support besides acquiring ISIC the other day.” Mellka soon got up, just as Shayne finished her coffee and set it down in the sink. But it wasn’t long until the two of them heard what sounded like Kleese freaking out or screaming.

“Do you think something’s wrong or just the old guy accidently pouring coffee on himself?” Shayne asked.

“Well, even if the second scenario sounds likely, I’m going with the first one.” Mellka replied. “I believe Nova could help us understand once she-.” Just as she said that, a digital holographic version of the Magnus AI that piloted the ship that dropped them off on missions. “Well, speak of the devil, we were just wondering what Kleese’ screaming was all about.”

“Yeah… you may want to get over to the ship… we got an emergency.”

“How bad of an emergency?” Shayne then asked the AI.

“Think batsh*t crazy bad… if that’s the term the kids use these days.” The AI said before dispersing. Mellka and Shayne looked at one another quickly before chasing off after the sound of Kleese’s frantic reaction.

“We better hurry… Because right now, I got a bad feeling about this.” The Eldrid told the rogue. Turns out, she was right. Just as both of them reached the ship and went into the chambers where Kleese was, they both saw flashing red lights everywhere and the words WARNING flashing on the screen in a military like font.

“Kleese, what’s happening!?” Mellka rasped, catching his attention and also Ghalt’s as soon as he ran into the room. “What’s with the emergency?”

“Why THIS IS THE WORST POSSIBLE THING!!!” He snapped, zooming in on an image of the galactic map that was of Solus, zooming in on the moon that was Bliss. “A portal bloom has erupted on Bliss, and with it, a one COLOSSAL hole in the fabric of spacetime!” For a moment, it didn’t look like anyone was understanding, but as he continued, it began to make more sense. “A massive gateway into Varelsi space! If it stabilizes, Solus will be overrun in hours!!”

Immediately, upon hearing the circumstances, Ghalt turned to Mellka and Shayne. “This is priority number one, people! We got to get that portal closed! Mellka, I’ll let you and Shayne form a team to be deployed on the ground while Kleese figures out a way to stop the portal.”

“You got it, captain.” Mellka replied before the two of them ran out of there as quickly as possible. Turning to Shayne, she then came up with an idea. “Okay, so if you two are coming along, how about we have the little guy suggest who the last two members of the squad can be-.” It was then that both of them saw Discord not only balancing at the end of a conjured version of Marquis’ cane, but also had created replica’s of the swords that belonged to Rath in his outstretched paw and claw.

“Hmm… I think the little guy just gave me an idea.”


Later, On Bliss…

As the group of five soon touched down on Bliss, Mellka, Shayne and Aurox, and Discord were looking at the two other squad mates that were with them this time. Marquis, who ISIC described as a High society, cybernetic sociopath and Rath, a swordsman and rebel against the Jennerit Imperium who was said to have almost killed Rendain once. As soon as all of them were situated, Mellka tested the communication line once to make sure everything was working. “Kleese, can you hear me?”

“Loud and clear… Oh and apologies for the hike, but trust me. Varelsi portals of this magnitude have a dizzying effect on AI and-.” He paused for a moment, just as they saw the ship move from side to side and almost run into the edge of the snowy cliff nearby. “Oh dear, the portal’s surging! Brace yourself Nova!!” Discord himself had him handle the tremors by clasping hold of Shayne’s leg as the group tried to proceed. All while they heard Nova laughing and shouting out ‘WOOOO!’ at the top of her digital lungs.

“What’s swo funny-?” Discord tried to ask, but was interrupted by an angry Kleese on the other end of the line.

“Damn you, Nova! At least TRY to fly straight!!”

“I-i’m fINe… Totally Ok-.” Nova tried responding before being cut off mid sentence.

“Discord, Nova’s just having a little… too much fun.” Shayne tried telling him, but at the sound of ‘fun’, that just made the youngster even more excited.

“Who says you can’t have too much fun!!?” He asked before blinking over to where Mellka was and riding on her shoulders. During this moment, Shayne heard Marquis ask himself something that might’ve made her a bit tense.

“How in the world did I get myself paired up with a young disfigured child-.”

“Hey, buddy. Watch the name calling,” Shayne snapped, looking back at Aurox before pointing up to him. “We’re looking after him, so if you got a problem with him, you gotta problem with us.” All before Discord appeared on Shayne’s shoulder again in a light orange jumpsuit on and a pair of old headphones on.

“I’m with them.”

“Okay, if everyone can stop arguing and going at each other’s throats,” Kleese then spoke up, catching everyone’s attention. “I need you to get into that old UPR structure and clear a landing platform for dropping off the LZ. Then we can begin today’s suicide mission, because I dare not take Nova any closer to that damnable portal.”

“I said I’M FINE DAD!!! I CAN FLY THE SHIP JUST FINE! GOOOOOSH!!!” Nova wailed at the other end of the comline, sounding a lot more like a moody teenaged brat now than a professional Magnus AI.

“Oh for crying out loud, just hurry up and get that platform cleared before this gets any worse!!” Kleese told the others as he still tried to maintain control of the ship from above them. The wackiness with handling the ship though had caused a lot of attention from the pack of thrall that emerged from the base, trying to figure out what the hell all the racket outside was as they soon noticed the group.

“Hostiles incoming!” Mellka shouted out. Marquis worked on trying to provide some cover fire for the group as the Eldrid began to fire her pistol. Meanwhile, Discord was using his abilities to support Shayne and Aurox as they went after a few of the Thrall Beastmasters that were on duty at the time. Followed by Rath cutting down any other thrall that thought they could stand a chance against him.

The teen and the djinn though… we're enjoying their fight in a different way. “Shayne and Aurox, chief detectives!! Tell your friends!”

“We are NOT DETECTIVES!!” Aurox roared back, but his outburst only lead to Discord taking on a detective's jacket, a bowler hat, and an old pipe from the days of Sherlock Holmes as he pretended to take a puff, only for bubbles to come out the other end.

“You don’t say?” He questioned jokingly, before removing the coat and taking on Orendi’s magic to blast the Thrall that tried to blindside them.

“Enough of the jokes, kid!” Rath yelled, slicing another Thrall in half. “This is serious! Go and plant some bombs somewhere!” Discord pulled out a potted plant and threw it, knocking out another primal thrall. “What did I say about the jokes!?”

“It’s not a joke! It’s a visual gag!” Rath growled at the child. Both Shayne & Aurox activated their stealth strike, with Shayne turning invisible to her enemies & allies, appearing in a bundle, and Aurox slamming down.

“Aw yeah! That was awesome!”

“Wait!” Discord pleaded. He pulled out a white-gun looking device, and fired what was a blue hole beneath him, and an orange at a wall next to his ‘mom & dad’. He fell into the blue and popped out of the orange, conjuring up Benedict’s rocket launcher and blasted at another group of thrall. Mellka soon caught up to both of them as they rerouted to the next corridor.

“There! That landing platform should work perfectly for sending your reinforcements. Just one thing that’s on my mind though… Ghalt, why the hell does the UPR place Robot limbs on the top of it’s buildings?”

“Seriously? Out of all the questions you could be asking, you ask that?” Mellka said as she used her bio gauntlet to raise herself into the air before gunning down a few Thrall that tried to swarm them.

“They always had them on the buildings. It’s cool and everything, they do fistbumps and stuff along with helping offload gear from supply vessels.” Ghalt replied as Discord conjured replica’s of his shotguns to gun down some enemies.

“Hey, now that I think of it, why does the bottom of Ghalt’s shotguns look like loafs of bread?” Mellka asked, just as the bay doors opened and a swarm of twenty to thirty thrall began to crowd the group of five.

“Why are we talking about bread!? We need to cut down these savages!!!” Rath shouted, just as he was thrown back into a wall. “... Okay, regrettably, I need some help here!!” Just as that was said, Discord put on a white lab coat and conjured some kind of weapon that emitted red like energy as it healed Rath’s sores like nothing ever happened. “Well, it seems like you are useful for something.”

“What is that contraption you have, child?” Marquis asked, using his weapon as a cane,

“I HAVE NO IDEA!!!” Discord replied in a german accent. “UBER CHARGE!!!” His weapon made Rath turn all red. Rath felt… powerful, and he laughed maniacally.

“NOW I LIKE THIS KID!!!” He yelled as he charged into a group of Thrall & Varelsi, easily slicing them into pieces and, despite being shot at, the bullets bounced off of his skin, He was invincible.

“...How long does that last?” Melka asked. As she asked it, the machine let out a puff of smoke & failed.

“That long...” Discord replied, throwing the costume away, though Rath screamed, chased by a swarm of Thrall. “I got this.” He conjured up what was a large wrecking ball, held onto the chain, and knocked over the Thrall. “♫I came in like a wrecking ball!♫”

“... He really is a chaotic thing, isn’t he?”

“I guess so now that I’m seeing it... But trust me, this is only the tip of the iceberg.” Shayne replied. The group made their way inside the bunker, but then heard an unexpected voice through their intercoms.

“I would’ve thought that a giant hole in space was a clear warning to stay out of my affairs.” Rendain said to the Battleborn as a whole. “But, obviously, that was too subtle for you people, So allow me to make this perfectly clear-”

“Hurry up and threaten us already!! We’re already in the middle of foiling your plans!” Kleese shouted.

“You’re boring!!!” Discord whined.

“...Wait… is that… a Draconequus!?”

“You know something about him, Rendain?” Kleese asked, with the sound of papers flying in the background. “Oh, I can’t wait to learn about how you know about him!”

“Hmph! I thought I grabbed you all. Guess there’s always the one that got away. You’ll be back in my grasp, you little, insignificant, waste of life.”

“His name is Discord!” Shayne growled “And I swear, if you lay a finger on him-!”

“Oh what do we have here? The angsty teenager thinks it’s the hellspawn’s mother.”

“I feel as if we’ve been here before.” Kleese commented. “Have we been here before?”

“I can't wait to record you gnawing her face off!”

“Oh my god! This is happening again!”

“You just jealous of my chaotic swaggah!” Discord said, standing on the platform. All of his allies cheered at the roast he did to Rendain.

“Okay, Let me just make this clear. That portal will stabilize and the Varelsi will swarm the entire system. But good luck you guys, I’m really rooting for you guys and I’m being really sarcastic right now!” Rendain cut the transmission as the they all proceeded through to the second level of the complex while Aurox pulled a few minions in for Discord to shoot in the face with a conjuration of Reyna’s pistol.

“Teamwork for the win!!”

“Nice one, Discord!” Shayne cheered as they went into the control station. Mellka quickly went for the controls to help try to clear the platform for Kleese, but that was interrupted by Rendain once again.

“I’ve grown really tired of all of you just galavanting around, so i’ve elected to kill you now!! Sorry for the inconvenience.”

Kleese saw this as an ambush and immediately shouted. “Take cover, NOW!!”

“Warlord Nix, bring me their hearts and bring the chaos spawn to me!!!” He roared as shots went through the glass window as everyone ducked for cover. Just as a giant thrall to crash on the ground outside.

“Everyone outside!!” Mellka shouted as Discord and Shayne bolted out the door, the teen having her Djinn companion perform Tag Team in the process. However, the oversized thrall soon began to cause problems for the group when more of them spawned from the warp anchors that crashed into the ground. Swarming them from all sides. Rath tried taking them all on, but was unsuccessful in defeating all of them. Mellka herself tried launching a spike to throw herself upward, but the end result involved her getting thrown into Marquis.

When Discord saw the warlord aim his gun at Shayne and Aurox, he knew he had to act. Quickly, he teleported onto the top of the thrall’s head, confusing it a little.

“I like trains…”

As soon as he said it, a giant freight train popped out of nowhere and plowed into the side of the boss. Also destroying the Warp Anchors in the process.

“How the bloody hell did he-? You know what, I rather not ask.” Kleese spoke up, clearing his throat. “Is everyone alright?”

“Can someone please explain how one tiny companion summoned a freight train out of nowhere!?” Mellka asked.

“My only guess is that he has a big imagination,” Shayne replied, looking back at the Eldrid as Aurox cracked his knuckles… or whatever he had that represented them. “Okay Kleese, the landing is clear. What’s next?”

“What’s next is that I’m sending you your support. It’s a heavily modified wolf sentry and the payload that it carries will be enough to rupture the portal. Of course, we would lose him in the process, but better him than us eh?” Kleese said as Mellka walked over to the unit once it crashed onto the ground. “Go on and fire it up.”

“What about the Varelsi portals affecting AI?” Marquis asked.

“Oh, I saw to that personally with Wolf here.” Kleese assured them as the Wolf Sentry was activated.

“Hello there, I’m a wolf sentry who has no sense at all of his own mortality… What’s up, Fellas?” Discord lunged himself to the sentry’s head.

“Who’s my big fwiend!? Yes you is, yes you is!”

“Discord, hang on a second… Wolf unit, our target is a Varelsi Portal. You need to get over there and hurl yourself into the portal.”

“Awesome! That sounds both fun AND safe!! Let’s roll fellas.”

That was when Ghalt decided to pitch in into the conversation. “Is he going to be okay?”

“Oh relax, he’s fine…” Kleese told the UPR captain. Little did they know that the Wolf Sentry got a head start on the mission.

“KNOCK KNOCK FELLAS!! I’M DUMB AS HELL AND THIRSTING FOR DEATH!!!” The Sentry shouted, firing it’s turrets at the massive horde of thrall that charged at them.

“Defend the Sentry!” Kleese ordered “This is our only shot… and the payload on his back is INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE!!!!”

“How expensive?” Discord asked, pulling out a piggy bank and shaking with some change inside.

“Discord, a little help with clearing up these thrall please?” Shayne asked as she had Aurox stun a Thrall Brute by the second floor of the stairwell outside. “We need to destroy the shard conduit powering the gate!”

“While you’re at it, you can use those same shards to power up any gear you may have or activate some “perks” that the Sentry has. Make use of them… oh and remind me to help find some gear for Discord once the mission is over.” Kleese spoke up, just as Discord conjured Montana’s minigun to mow down a couple of incoming Evolved Thralls. Once Shayne and Rath cleared out the guards at the control room and disengaged the door, the sentry was clear to proceed… Just as pockets of the void began to tear open.

“Ah the Varelsi finally show their unthinkable faces… We’ll be seeing a lot more of them before the mission is over.” Kleese told them. But Shayne happened to notice something with Discord when he saw the Varelsi this time. Something… different.

“Discord, are you okay?”

“...” He stared ahead, almost quivering in fear.

“Uh… Look! Wolfie’s under attack!” Shayne, upon hearing Mellka say that, invested some shards into an upgraded turret as the Sentry began to mow down the Varelsi and support Rath and Mellka.

“Upgrades complete! Feeling Lethal as F*CK!!”

“Language!!” Marquis yelled “Very uncouth of you… and there’s a child with us.”

“Could the same be said for ISIC on the last mission? Because I remember him saying a few words like that and also remember Kleese saying some… inappropriate comments.”

“Since when have I said anything inappropriate!?” Kleese protested, only causing Mellka to look at Shayne as she looked back at Discord.

“Well…”


“BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! SUCK IT, RENDAIN!!!”


“Wow… I never thought Bad Grandpa would say anything like that.” Shayne snickered, moving up and advancing.

“It gets worse.”


“Mmmhmmm… This is the part where Mellka goes apesh*t!”


“Kleese!!!”

“What? I was in the moment!!” The LLC member protested as soon as the sentry got through the Varelsi and to the edge of the Ravine.

“You know what… you guys are great, you know that right?” Wolf spoke up, “We should hang out. What are you doing after the mission I’m TOTALLY going to survive?” That… just caused an awkward pause amongst everyone in the group. Including those that were listening over the other end of the comline.

“... Planning to kill Rendain.” Rath answered bluntly.

“Serving tea to everyone.” Marquis added

“Well… eheh… Maybe you should be thinking about other things… like robot heaven… where all your pets will be and… ***dammit, why do you people have me do this?” Mellka swore across the comline.

“Discord, Aurox and I… well… Sorry man, but we’re going to have to blow you up… Sorry.”

“Sorry.” Aurox mumbled

“Sorry.” Discord copied.

“AWESOME! Can I come along?” Wolf triumphantly asked, only causing a new person to speak up. That being Reyna.

“That… is literally the most depressing question I’ve heard… ever… of all time.” Ignoring that comment, the team pressed on and up the stairwell of a temple encased in ice. Since there was no sign of Varelsi, Discord was able to help with eliminating the Thrall as Wolf approached the door.

“Woah man… this computer has some CRAZY encryptions on it. I better hack it with my hacking laser!” He proclaimed.

“We’re screwed. We’re totally screwed!!” Kleese panicked, causing everyone to look at the sentry.

“Why do you say that? Anyways… INITIATING HACK!!!” He roared, causing everyone to simultaneously cover their ears… except for Marquis.

“Did he really have to be THAT loud?” Shayne asked.

“Loud?” Discord asked. “I know loud!” He took a deep breath and every Varelsi & Thrall nearby exploded, along with the door blasting wide open as he screamed.

“Hacking laser, disengaged… Mainframe wrecked… Hack complete. Zoom… and enhance.”

“Oh just SHUT UP AND PRESS ON, PLEASE!!” Kleese asked, the sentry moving forward. “Alright, Carry-. Oh no, the portal’s surging again! Brace yourselves!!” As the ground shook, the Sentry began to panic and bounce off into the distance. Discord held onto the Wolf sentry… with a stetson hat as It’s voice echoed throughout the cave.

“AH, I NEED AN ADULT!! I NEED AN ADULT!! I NEED AN ADULT!!!!!”

“And he’s gone… and with that, Discord was with him. Hurry up and go after them!!”


Author's Note:

We follow the first half of The Void's edge campaign mission, where multiple crazy shenanigans ensue. Enjoy!

Oh and the bread joke is from this:

Thanks for the support people!

PreviousChapters Next