• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 1,170 Views, 30 Comments

Pegasus Dreams - BluePhoenyx



A Pegasus who can't fly? Lame, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to the rescue!

  • ...
3
 30
 1,170

Ch. 5 Blind Determination

Cloud Dream spent move of his recover near a window in Fluttershy’s cottage. He liked feeling the wind of his face and smelling the grass outside. He’d often felt like he was daydreaming about being able to see again when a breeze hit his wings. Though his front leg healed quickly from the hairline fracture he sustained, his right wing and the broken ribs still caused him pain. It was time for him to either cope with being blind for the rest of his life or fall into depression. With the help of his new friends, he was doing his best to work through it. However, each day he heard birds singing or when he bumped into a table, his heart sank a little deeper and would cause him to want to spend more time in bed. Feeling a deep sense of guilt, Rainbow Dash came over every day around the same time and helped him walk around a little to get used to living without the use of his sight.

“Come on Cloud Dream, you have to keep trying.” Rainbow Dash said one day, after Cloud Dream crashed into the same table four times in a row.

“What’s the point?” Cloud Dream asked, lying down on the ground to let his legs rest.

“The point? The point is you have to get better so you don’t spend the rest of your life in bed!” Rainbow Dash yelled. Cloud Dream turned his head away from her.

“Rainbow Dash, maybe we shouldn’t yell at him.” Fluttershy whispered. She moved closer to her friend and leaned in so only Rainbow Dash could hear. “He is still injured” She added, then flinched when Rainbow dash stomped the ground.

“I’m not going to let him give up. I’m not giving up.” Rainbow Dash said then walked over to Cloud Dream, biting his mane and yanking, forcing him to stand up. “Try again.” She demanded.

On the verge of giving up, Cloud Dream stopped caring and just did what Rainbow Dash demanded. Just wanting to get this over with, Cloud Dream started walking around the room. He wobbled a little from his injured leg as he kept walking forward towards the table that he had constantly hit in the past. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy watch as he stopped inches from hitting the table. Then Cloud Dream turned and avoided the table, but stopped and looked towards Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy as they both gasped.

“What? What happened?” Cloud Dream asked.

“You just avoided the table. You always hit that one.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Did you finally remember where it was?” Fluttershy asked.

“No… I just… I don’t know.” Cloud Dream replied. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy just watched in awe as he started to carefully walk around the table just inches from hitting.

“That’s amazing.” Rainbow Dash said as he stops just in front of the two.

“What is?” Cloud Dream asked.

“It’s like you know where we’re at.” Fluttershy said.

“How are you doing that?” Rainbow Dash asked,

“I don’t know.” Cloud Dream replied in uncertainty. “The breeze… It just feels… Different.”

“Breeze?” Rainbow Dash asked as she looked around the room. “What breeze?”

“You don’t feel the breeze?” Cloud Dream asked.

“I don’t feel anything.” Fluttershy said.

Rainbow Dash trotted around the room and moved around some furnishings. “Okay, try this.” She said. “Walk over here.”

“Rainbow Dash! That’s cruel.” Fluttershy said and covered her mouth in fear as Cloud Dream started walking again.

Cloud Dream slowly started to navigate his way towards Rainbow Dash’s voice. Unexpectedly, he tried to swerve around some roadblocks, but still nudged them. Then, he stopped near Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash looked in awe as Cloud Dream looked down with a sad face.

“It’s useless.” He said as he turned around.

“What?” Rainbow Dash said in amazement. “That was amazing!” She said as she jumped in the air and spun around in excitement.

“I can’t see anything!” Cloud Dream exclaimed.

“But it seemed like you knew where everything was at.” Rainbow Dash said.

“You even stepped over a step stool.” Fluttershy said smiling.

“How did you do that?” Rainbow Dash asked in excitement.

“Do what?” Cloud Dream asks. “I just walked blindly. When I felt the breeze shift, I moved around it.”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy looked around confused as they still didn’t feel any breeze throughout the house. Then Rainbow Dash’s face lit up as she got an idea.

“Cloud Dream, walk around the room. Anywhere.” She said.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing?” Fluttershy asked.

“Trust me. I have an idea” She replied as the two watch Cloud Dream slowly walk throughout the room. He still nudged furniture, but still moved before he touched them as if he knew the furniture was there. Cloud Dream looked up at Rainbow Dash, who was still flying in the air, as if he knew where she was. “Keep walking.” She said. Eventually, he was able to walk around the room without touching a single piece of furniture.

“Amazing!” Rainbow Dash said.

“What?” Cloud Dream asked in confusion.

“Don’t you get it?” Rainbow Dash said. “You just walked around the entire room without touching anything.” Cloud Dream’s head propped up with astonishment. “Walk to the door.” She said. Cloud Dream turned and walked to the door and stopped in front of it.

“This is great, Cloud Dream! You’ll be able to do anything you want.” Rainbow dash said, soaring up to the ceiling in joy.

“Yeah I guess so.” Cloud Dream said. “Anything except fly.” He said. He was happy to finally be able to walk around with relative ease, but the thought of him still not being able to fly wasn’t helping at all.

Rainbow Dash frowned and landed back down onto the ground. “Listen, Cloud Dream, I know it sucks not to fly but you can’t just mope around for the rest of your life either.” She said and walked over to him.

“I know…” Cloud Dream mumbled.

“Alright Cloud Dream, I think you’ve exercised enough for today.” Fluttershy said gently and lead him back to a chair by the window. Cloud Dream sat down and suddenly realized how exhausted he actually was.

“I better get going myself. There is supposed to a small storm tomorrow and I need to help wrangle up some clouds.” Rainbow Dash said and flew out the door.

On her way back up to Cloudsdale, Rainbow Dash looked down to see Twilight and Apple Jack, along with few other ponies standing around a tree. She flew down to see what was the issue. Twilight turned to Apple Jack with concern written all over her face.

“What do we do?” She asked.

“I don’t know sugar cube.” Apple Jack replied. She looked up just as Rainbow Dash was coming in for a landing.

“Hey guys. What’s everypony looking at?” Rainbow Dash asked and looked over at the tree. There was a formal looking letter on it along with a drawing of Cloud Dream.

“Subjects of Equestria, A royal prince has gone missing. He was last seen in Trottingham. He is a white Pegasus stallion with a gray mane and tail named Cloud Dream. The pony who finds him will receive a reward of their choice if he is safely returned to his family.” Rainbow Dash read aloud. She gasped and backed away from the poster, right into Apple Jack.

“He…He ran away?” I thought he said he was kicked out.” Rainbow Dash said turning to her friends.

“It wouldn’t be the first time he lied to us.” Apple Jack said, tilting her hat.

“Now Apple Jack, Cloud Dream never actually lied to us, he just chose not tell us.” Twilight said. “We’re just going to have to go talk to him”

“I just came from Fluttershy’s cottage. He looked pretty exhausted by the time I left.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Well let’s go see what’s going on” Twilight said and made her way to Fluttershy’s cottage with Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash behind her.

As they passed Rarity’s boutique, Rarity came rushing out, carrying one of the flyers with Cloud Dream on it using her magic.

“Twilight! Have you seen this!?” She asked holding the paper up.

“Yes Rarity. We’re going to Fluttershy’s right now and confronting Cloud Dream.” Twilight replied.

“Confront him? Twilight we have turn him in. The Royal Guard could be looking for him and what if they find him here, injured?” Rarity said.

“I still think we should talk to him.” Twilight replied

“Fine but I still think we should turn him in.” Rarity said and followed her friends to Fluttershy’s cottage.

They got up to the door just as Fluttershy was leaving with her saddle bags. She was closing the door as quietly as she could and turned around. She squealed and jumped when she saw her friends right behind her.

“Oh, girls, you startled me.” She said softly. “I was just going to go to the store and pick up some medicine for Cloud Dream.”

“Fluttershy, we need to talk to Cloud Dream.” Twilight said. Rarity showed her the flyer. Fluttershy read it carefully then squeaked.

“What are we going to do?” Fluttershy asked.

“We’re going to ask him about it.” Twilight replied. Fluttershy opened her door again and the group walked in. Cloud Dream was flexing his injured wing a little to see how far he could open it. He heard the door opened and turned his head towards the sound.

“That was fast Fluttershy.” Cloud Dream said, folding his wing back in.

“Cloud Dream, What the hay is going on with you. We thought you were kicked out and now your family is searching for you.” Rainbow Dash said. Cloud Dream flinched a little.

“My family rejected me Rainbow. I had to leave.” Cloud Dream said. “I can’t believe they’re looking for me…” he mumbled and looked towards the floor.

“They’re offering a reward Cloud Dream. They obviously miss you.” Twilight said

“I’m not going back Twilight.” Cloud Dream said sternly. Twilight sighed and started walking out.

“Fine…” Twilight said “Come on girls, let’s leave him be for a while.” She said to her friends and the group reluctantly walked out.

“Twilight, why did we leave so suddenly?” Apple Jack asked walking next to the purple unicorn.

“There is something else going on here. I don’t think even Cloud Dream knows the whole story.” Twilight replied.

“I bet he does.” Rainbow Dash said, flying over the group.

Twilight shook her head and looked up to see a taller pony looking at one of the posters for Cloud Dream on a tree. The pony was wearing a black cape with a black broad brimmed hat as well as black shoes with golden stars etched into them. Twilight could just see her tail under the cape. It was a light blue that would have stood out against her white coat if Twilight could just see her entire body. Her mane was bunched up under her hat but her horn was fairly prominent.

“I wonder who that is.” Twilight said, stopping in her tracks.

“Who?” Apple Jack asked then looked over to see the mare in black.

“I’ve never seen her before, although she doesn’t appear to have great style.” Rarity said, eying the newcomers outfit. “Very bland.” She added

Twilight shook her head and then trotted over to the mare in front of the tree.as she approached, she spoke loudly to avoid startling the new unicorn.

“Uhm, excuse me. Hi, my name is Twilight Sparkle. I haven’t seen you around before, are you new to Ponyville?” Twilight asked politely. Her friends joined her soon after.

The new mare turned to the ponies behind her and looked down at them slightly. Her eyes were the same color as her mane and tail. She seemed confused at first, and then became angry.

“I’ve come from far away in search of someone.” She said, almost ignoring Twilight’s question and hospitality. “I must speak with whoever is charge of this town.”

“Oh? And just who do you think you are?” Rainbow Dash said, crossing her hooves as she floated in the air. The mare used her magic to levitate her hat off and let her long mane fall down. It was tied up with a black ribbon at the end to keep it from flowing wildly.

“My name is Water Lilly and I don’t need to explain myself to you.” The mare replied sternly.

“There’s no reason to be rude.” Twilight said. “Why are you here? Maybe we can help you.” She added. Water Lilly nodded to the poster on the tree.

“I’m looking for him.” She said then waited for a response. Twilight brought the group in for a huddle.

“She’s looking to collect the reward I know it.” Rainbow Dash said, snorting and scraping the ground.

“Now we don’t know that for sure.” Apple Jack responded.

“She’s right Rainbow. But I don’t trust her either. Do we tell her?” Twilight asked.

“Certainly not!” Rarity said. “We just tell her we don’t know a thing.”

“Won’t she suspect we know something from this huddle?” Twilight asked.

“Oh..Right.. Still I believe our lips should be shut.” Rarity said, tilting her head up.

“Right, for now we don’t know nothing okay?” Apple Jack said. The others nodded and they turned back towards their confused guest.

“Well, we don’t know much about the missing prince, but we can show you where the mayor lives.” Twilight said, smiling.

“That will be fine.” The mare replied and waited to be shown the right way. End CH.5