• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 1,170 Views, 30 Comments

Pegasus Dreams - BluePhoenyx



A Pegasus who can't fly? Lame, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to the rescue!

  • ...
3
 30
 1,170

Ch.3 Dark Skies.

Cloud Dream lay on the ground, unconscious with Rainbow Dash kneeling beside him. Tears were forming in the normally strong-hearted pony’s eyes. Fluttershy had rushed off to find help and left the two alone.

“Cloud Dream… I’m so sorry: This is my fault. If I had just thought of a safer way.” Rainbow Dash whimpered, trying to fight back her tears. She buried her face in between her hooves and was close to breaking down, until she heard a small, weak groan. She looked up, her face a little dirty and streaking with tears, to see Cloud Dream moving and starting to wake up. She jumped to her hooves quickly and waited, holding her breath in fear.

“Ughhh my head…” Cloud Dream mumbled and opened his eyes slowly. He frowned, something was wrong.

“Cloud Dream! Thank Celestia you’re alright! We saw you hit the side of the mountain and you weren’t waking up, so Fluttershy and I rushed down to catch you and we got you just as you were going to hit the ground.” Rainbow Dash said, getting more excited as Cloud Dream tried to stand.

“R-Rainbow Dash?” He mumbled just as he got onto all four hooves. He wobbled a little then fell right back down in to the dirt.

“Yeah, it’s me. You okay Cloud Dream? Maybe you should just stay down.” Rainbow Dash said, putting on a hoof on his shoulder.

“Rainbow Dash… I..I can’t… I can’t see.” Cloud Dream said. His voice cracked and he started visibly shaking. His eyes were as wide as possible, trying desperately to turn the blackness into shapes and colors. Rainbow Dash backed away slightly. She was in pure shock and felt like she was going to throw up. How could she have let this happen to somepony?

“Rainbow Dash? A-are you there?” Cloud Dream asked when he didn’t hear her respond. He started moving his hoof around to find her.

“Y-Yeah I’m here Cloud Dream.” Rainbow Dash replied, finagling getting a hold of herself. She walked back over to him and put her hoof over his searching one.

“You’re gonna be okay.” Rainbow Dash said just as Fluttershy was running back with Twilight and the others, as well as ponies from the hospital with a cart, close behind.

“Rainbow Dash! How is he?” Twilight called out as she arrived on the scene. Rainbow Dash looked up at her. This time, there was no holding back tears or acting brave.

“Twilight... He says he can’t see!” Rainbow Dash said as tears were pouring out of her eyes and down her cheeks. A few drops fell on Cloud Dream’s hoof as she continued to hold it.

Twilight paused in mid step and bit her bottom lip. She knew extreme impacts had deadly effects and could cause permanent damage in other ways, but she wasn’t expecting blindness. The two ponies from the hospital pulled Cloud Dream into a cart, forcing Rainbow Dash to let go of his hoof. Cloud Dream was frozen and stunned into allowing other ponies to do what they willed with him. He was trying so hard to see anything. A small shadow would have pleased him but there was nothing.

The cart took him back to the Ponyville Hospital with the six friends following close behind. Rainbow Dash took up the rear, keeping her head down and walking instead of flying off or anything. Twilight looked back and saw her friend obviously in pain and hung back to walk beside her.

“Rainbow Dash? Are you okay?” She asked softly, keeping pace with her.

“It’s all my fault, Twilight. If I hadn’t made him jump off that cliff right away, he’d be okay right now.” Rainbow Dash said, turning her head away in shame. Tears were still streaming down her face but she was too proud and too headstrong to start sobbing, especially in front of others.

“Rainbow, it’s not just your fault. Cloud Dream knew it was dangerous and if he felt like he couldn’t do it, I’m sure he wouldn’t have tried it. He wanted so badly to fly and he wasn’t going to let anything stop him.The best you can do right now is support him until he gets better.” Twilight said with confidence. Her voice held the weight of years of knowledge and understanding of how someone’s dreams can drive them beyond their capabilities.

“Don’t you get it Twilight? I messed up, I told him to do it. I need time to think.” Rainbow Dash said and flew off into the clouds in a flash. Twilight sighed and looked up at her friends, who had turned their heads to view the scene.

“Don’t you fret now Twilight; she’ll come ‘round.” Apple Jack said.

“Of course she will! She’ll HAVE to come to my ‘get well soon’ party and then my ‘welcome home party’ that I’m going to put on for Cloud Dream. I mean, come on! What pony wouldn’t miss a welcome home party?” Pinkie Pie said, smiling brightly and bouncing all around the group. She was doing her best to keep everything cheerful and keep their spirits up.

“Do you think he’ll be alright?” Rarity asked. She never did handle drama well but she was trying very hard to keep her cool and hope for the best.

“I don’t know Rarity. We’ll just have to wait and see.” Twilight replied. The party quieted down and pressed on towards the hospital.

When they arrived, Cloud Dream was still in the emergency room. Rarity had decided to go home and wait until he was ready for visitors, while Apple Jack, Twilight, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie all stayed in the waiting room. Pinkie Pie was playing with a younger pony, who was worried about getting her first shot. Of course, the young filly had completely forgotten about her fear and went willingly into the doctor’s office. Twilight smiled at the joy Pinkie Pie was bringing to all the ponies in the hospital, and wondered if the pink ball of joy ever felt worried or upset like the rest of them were.

After a few more hours, Cloud Dream was moved into a recovery room and the four friends were allowed to go in and see him. The doctor was just finishing up reviewing Cloud Dream, who was currently sleeping, and was leaving as the girls entered.

“How is he doing Doctor?” Twilight asked softly.

“Well he has a couple broken bones, a broken wing and the blindness is due to a heavy concussion he received when he initially hit the cliff. We’re not sure if the effects are permanent or not right now. Only time will tell.” The Doctor said and then left to see other patients that needed his attention.

Cloud Dream was lying on his side, with bandages around his wings and rib cage, as well as his right front leg. Some gauze was wrapped around his eyes to prevent light from damaging them further, just in case the effects were not permanent. Fluttershy walked up to him and set down some flowers she had picked on the way, next to him on a nearby end table
.

“He looks pretty weak.” Apple Jack said as she came around the other side of the bed.

“Yes, maybe we should go soon and let him get his rest.” Twilight said. Just afterwards, Rainbow Dash came in. She had a new air about her; a new sense of determination that was not going to fail.

“Rainbow Dash, you’re back.” Pinkie Pie said happily.

“How is he?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“He’ll be okay, but they aren’t sure if the blindness is permanent or not.” Twilight replied.

“How about you Dash? You okay?” Apple Jack asked.

“I’m fine.” Rainbow Dash said sternly. She was obviously not happy they were acknowledging her departure earlier.
Rainbow Dash walked over to the bed side and put her front hooves on the edge of his bed, laying her head down on the bed, staring at him as he slept. Apple Jack began to nudge Twilight, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie out the door.

“Come on y’all. Let’s leave ‘em be.” Apple Jack said, closing the door behind them.

"But why?" Twilight asked

"Because she obviously feels guilty and wants to be alone with him right now." Apple Jack replied, pushing her down the hall way some more.

"Oh Twilight, you're so oblivious some times." Pinkie Pie said, giggling and bouncing off in her usual way.

Twilight blinked and then shook Pinkie Pie's comment from her mind. "Alright fine. Let's go back to my library and research then." She said, then headed towards the library.

“Should we even be looking into this still?" Apple Jack said looking through a shelf of books. "I mean, with him being blind ‘n all now.”

“He may not always be blind Apple Jack. Besides, maybe it’ll take our minds off it.” Twilight said while she pulled a book down from a shelf above her.

“Plus, books are fun!” Pinkie Pie said putting a book on top of a tower of books that formed a tower of a book fort she had made. She trotted into the fort under Fluttershy, who was reading a book on top of it. Twilight and Apple Jack looked at each other for a moment and then giggled at Pinkie Pie’s antics.

“Come on girls, keep looking. “ Twilight said and turned back to the shelves.

Another two hours passed, causing a mountain of books to form on the floor and absolutely none on the shelves. Pinkie Pie was buried somewhere under the books and Fluttershy and Apple Jack were trying to dig her out. Twilight sighed as she put down the last book she had in the entire library. She sighed and turned to her friends.

“Did you girls find anything?” Twilight asked. Apple Jack and Fluttershy yanked Pinkie Pie out of the book pile.

“Not a thing sugar cube.” Apple Jack said, climbing back down the mountain of books.

“Me either...” Fluttershy said sadly.

“We’ll have to go to the Canterlot Archives then.” Twilight said. “That will have to be tomorrow though. It’s too late to go anywhere now. You girls can stay here with me.” She added and began setting up beds and putting books away to make space for her friends.
End ch.3